Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico
Isn't there a video of someone using Ninjitsu to kill the 2nd boss and DOTs are a big part of the damage?

So, I reached the 2nd boss, last night and I died. Do I really need to run all the way through the level again to reach her or is there a shortcut I missed?

edit: Here's the video

maybe not a big part of the damage, but some of it.

Rubicon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rubicon posted:

So, I reached the 2nd boss, last night and I died. Do I really need to run all the way through the level again to reach her or is there a shortcut I missed?

Yeah, like two shrines and two shortcuts (one of which leads to the last shrine).

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the 2nd boss is like 2 ladders and 10 seconds walking away from the closest shrine

Rubicon
Dec 16, 2005
Al bisogno si conosce l'amico

Davincie posted:

the 2nd boss is like 2 ladders and 10 seconds walking away from the closest shrine

Ok, I was all over that level chasing that turtle thing. Which ended up jumping off the walkway and killing itself. I'll have to figure out the best way, tonight.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
When does the beta end again?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

September 6th.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
People say that Ninjitsu is broken because you can clown on bosses with it, but I think that it's just another viable option for a build. If the shuriken attacks were less effective, the points would be wasted. As it is, if you focus your levels on getting ninja tools you're sacrificing weapon damage and samurai points, meaning they kind of balance out. I agree that there should be an unarmed stance, something with a little more substance that left and right hooks with no way to Ki Pulse. The Ninjitsu skill for unarmed attacks is pretty much useless as it.

The differences between the three weight thresholds is pretty severe, but I don't mind it. I beat the second boss then jumped into multiplayer, and I also put a new helmet on. The helmet was a half-pound heavier but it put me over 70% and suddenly all my high attacks are eating up a third of my Ki and it takes forever to recharge. I eat to many hits for me to strip down and have a dodge fest, but now that I've got the second DLC I might do a nekkid run of the village to see how I like it.

Speaking of, I went through the village as a helper with my post-cave load out, helping some guy who hadn't got the first short cut unlocked. I ran him through most of the stage and another thing I like about the game is that hosts can still use shrines while a helper is around. Dark Souls was kind of a pain if you were walking someone through an area new to them, because opening shortcuts was fine but if you get to a bonfire deep in the stage (Anor Londo, for instance), the helper has to leave before the checkpoint can be activated. Just a little QOL improvement I appreciate.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I beat Mission 1, and it opened a Mission 2 and Sub Mission. I'm guessing Mission 2 is what I need to beat to acquire the second DLC?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Kind of at an impasse with the first boss, feeling out what I can and cannot get away with. I went for a blah build with most of my points in body and heart with enough strength and stamina to wear decent armor. Focusing on normal katanas and haven't really found a secondary weapon that feels as good, though I like them all.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Revitalized posted:

I beat Mission 1, and it opened a Mission 2 and Sub Mission. I'm guessing Mission 2 is what I need to beat to acquire the second DLC?

Yeah

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Deified Data posted:

Kind of at an impasse with the first boss, feeling out what I can and cannot get away with. I went for a blah build with most of my points in body and heart with enough strength and stamina to wear decent armor. Focusing on normal katanas and haven't really found a secondary weapon that feels as good, though I like them all.

You can block a lot more than you might expect, and if you dance in and out of the boss's melee range it'll usually do a move that leaves him prone for a few seconds. You can focus on katanas until the second stage, then you should start switching things up, if only for the extra skill points you'll get. You might want to try the ax in high stance for the first boss, it really brings the pain in a few hits and you can dash away and refill your Ki at the same time with some practice.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Do you guys find heavier or lighter armor best for the first boss?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I have never used anything but light or medium armor.

Hitting him in the face is really good and can stagger him.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Deified Data posted:

armor shouldn't matter for him. if you get hit you will probably die unless you are super lucky.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I feel like I'm playing a different game from people who die in one hit and think blocking doesn't work.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

heavy armor & hammer man here

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

armor shouldn't matter for him. if you get hit you will probably die unless you are super lucky.

Really? Only his grab attack can one-shot, you, I think. Well, the overhead slam might be able to.

I didn't even know he had the grab attack, I don't think I ever saw it in the alpha. Sure was a surprise when he got me with it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've been able to tank a couple hits from him with a set of heavy armor but my ki usage is crippling.

Is ki usage in armor based on the weight of the item or your encumbrance? Like if I raised my stamina would I improve my ki regen in heavy armor?

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?

Deified Data posted:

I think that's gonna depend on your playstyle, but I've kept my armor under 70% for the whole demo and did fine. I dodged a lot of the first boss's attacks. You can block a good chunk of them, but be wary of doing so because several of the chain-chomp based attacks have a follow up that will punish you for running out of Ki from blocking. Several of his attacks leave him open for punishment though, so with light armor you can dash in, slash him a few times, then dash away.

If you play conservatively enough the first boss isn't too bad if you're patient. When I managed to beat him I actually did so without taking a single hit.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I tend to be pretty dodgy so I'll just go in with my ronin armor and not plan on getting hit.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I never really have problems with Onryo outside of being greedy and punished for it.

Phase 1, clear all the crates in the room, and then bait out attacks. Dash to his left when he slams down a ball, get in a hit, ki pulse so you have the stamina to immediately block and take the slow ball spin that will come from your right. Sometimes he'll slam one ball, and then another, so you can use that extra time to get another hit (or two) on his back. If he does two at once he won't immediately counter, and even if he does one and then another you have extra time before he counters. If you stay behind him he'll do a quick swipe from your left that you can block with nearly full stamina (you won't be winded) but hurts otherwise.

Phase 2 after you break his chains, stay back and bait the clumsy three hit combo that ends in a slam where you can get in a ton of hits. If you see him reaching for a ball, position yourself in the opposite corner as the other one and dodge at the last second. He likes to throw one and then the other and won't punish anything you do while he's going for one so you can get up in his face if you see him heading for one. You can hit him when he does the overhead slam but he also is quick to counter so do maybe one hit.

There's more you can do to make it go faster but this should help.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Deified Data posted:

I tend to be pretty dodgy so I'll just go in with my ronin armor and not plan on getting hit.

Same.

Once you get the tells down for his wide swing in first phase or his tantrum in second phase, the boss becomes pretty easy. Aim for the head or the butt, move back, rinse and repeat. Once you get his ki in the red you can stunlock him with living weapon until he drops, or just wear him down normally.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I've been really busy since the beta dropped so I haven't seen the new stage, but dual swords is just Zoro mode :stare:

That move where you sheath both of your swords is just onigiri. Also it's strong af

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I've been really busy since the beta dropped so I haven't seen the new stage, but dual swords is just Zoro mode :stare:

That move where you sheath both of your swords is just onigiri. Also it's strong af

Water Slash in high stance is the ultimate punishment move, and the extended mid combo can rack up over 1k damage easily in a few seconds.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Here's something I haven't really considered before - does the dodge in this game have i-frames, or does it just quickly move you out of harm's way?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I tried an all heavy equipment run but the slow rear end ki regen was too much for me. It does however have functioning poise so you can tank a slash and hit the fucker super hard. I can see it being better if you dump every point in stamina and strength to raise equip load.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It does but only at the start of the dodge. More monster hunter than dark souls. There's a low stance dual kat skill that extends iframes through the end of the dodge and buffs you for using them.

The benefit to being low weight is that your dashes carry you further so you have a better chance of being outside the attack's hitbox when your iframes run out.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 30, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Low stance dodges in general have more i-frames. Also just push the block button.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Unless you're dumb like me and just want to punch demons. Then your block is worthless.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Salt is incredibly good and everybody should have some on hand, especially for the bosses.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I found throwing some salt in the first boss's face immediately made him recoil.

Is there a shop to buy some items like salt during missions or is that sort of thing limited to the blacksmith between missions?

edit: had a weird bug while I was helping someone at random where my arrows would take a 90 degree turn to the right as soon as they reached the center of the screen, so I couldn't headshot archers from safety.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Hitting him in the horns also does that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lotish posted:

Yeah I found throwing some salt in the first boss's face immediately made him recoil.

Is there a shop to buy some items like salt during missions or is that sort of thing limited to the blacksmith between missions?

edit: had a weird bug while I was helping someone at random where my arrows would take a 90 degree turn to the right as soon as they reached the center of the screen, so I couldn't headshot archers from safety.

As far as I can tell, no, but when you make offerings at the shrine to get rid of extra equipment you'll randomly get consumable items -- I have tons and tons of salt and antidotes and other poo poo from doing so

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I misunderstanding the 3rd Iai skill or is it just broken? Sounds like it should put you in Iai stance whenever you do a normal Ki pulse(without changing to another stance) but it doesn't seem to work for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's more like you can use it in place of a pulse, and if you time it right he sheathes and starts charging way faster. At like 15 seconds into this I gently caress up and do a normal charge followed by several fast ones so it's easy to see the difference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Dno_MxaJLM

fixed

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 31, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The instructions for how do some of the skills just don't make any sense.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was very confused when the instruction for the axe smash and the axe spin moves have the same input, and when I bought the smash after buying the spin, it replaced the spin on all my stances. Then I found you have to go into your move list and assign moves you've unlocked to the stance you want it in. So now I can smash in heavy stance and spin in the middle stance.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is a separate issue, but I'm sad there are no high&mid or high&low skills. In fact, there are very few high stance skills at all.

But again, it all makes sense if you switch stances in combatm

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

RatHat posted:

Am I misunderstanding the 3rd Iai skill or is it just broken? Sounds like it should put you in Iai stance whenever you do a normal Ki pulse(without changing to another stance) but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Yeah the description isn't exactly correct-- once you have the skill, instead of hitting R1 for a Ki Pulse hit (and hold) R1+O and you'll quickly sheath your sword combo directly into Iai Stance -- I just unlocked the same skill a few minutes ago and I'm still working on getting the timing down but I'm pretty sure that if you can perform it consistently it could be really powerful.

And a question of my own: does the Yokai Realm aura sap the stamina of non-Yokai enemies? I got a consumable item (Yokai Water Pot) that creates a Yokai circle at my feet and I can't figure out why you would ever want to use that, unless it has some interactions with skills that aren't available in the beta or something . I guess it would be a funny way to troll in co op??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

maybe vs human ai?