Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

The USA has survived for 200 years despite each individual state not having its own currency. I think you may need to consider the fact that Greece's problems are due to reasons other than a common currency.

The US has automatic transfers towards states in a slump, and shared risk.

The same every country in Europe had wrt their own currency and their regions, but Europe doesn't because we are idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

DarkCrawler posted:

Expose your tits for the French Republic and freedom!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37219723

Hollande/Valls 2017: Show Us Your Tits

:cripes:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Apple owes 15 billion in back taxes

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/30/eu-commission-apple-tax-ireland/

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

This country is pathetic.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009
Apple's reaction is also quite funny, they seem to think the issue is about the tax avoidance scheme in general, while the problem is Ireland giving them a deal not available to other companies. Also how taxes should be where the "value is created". US get a chunk of it for the R&D thing, but I wonder how much China gets from the enormous created value in their country. Probably not much more than Europe, which is providing customers buying billions worth of devices.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
Actually it fundamentally is about tax avoidance, eu commission pushed the issue in this way because it was the only form available to them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

It's ok though, Tim Cook feels like he shouldn't have to pay.

quote:

Tim Cook himself has said that he feels that where you "create value is the place where you are taxed."

Well I guess that lets them off the hook completely.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So uhh, Tim Cook feels they should be taxed by China?

EDIT: Whoops point already raised

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baxta posted:

Finally I figured out the confusion. In Salzburg, there are a massive amount of beggars. In the altstadt its one or sometimes two on every corner. Legally this is fine. The weird thing is, the Austrians believe that these beggars (90% from Romania) are these Syrian/Afghan refugees which is a bit unfair to the refugees.
Proof positive Austrians aren't racists.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm glad Tim Cook is telling the EU and Ireland to pound sand . American corporations, which are citizens in a sense, should not be allowed to be bullied abroad because some Brussels bureaucrat thinks he or she knows what is best!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

fits my needs posted:

I'm glad Tim Cook is telling the EU and Ireland to pound sand . American corporations, which are citizens in a sense, should not be allowed to be bullied abroad because some Brussels bureaucrat thinks he or she knows what is best!
Ireland is on the side of Apple.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005
Nothing about France effectively axing the TTIP?
WTH thread!

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

Fados posted:

Actually it fundamentally is about tax avoidance, eu commission pushed the issue in this way because it was the only form available to them.

Oh of course, and Apple is also right when they say "The Commission's case is not about how much Apple pays in taxes, it's about which government collects the money". They wouldn't bother with them if the mony wasn't going back to them in the end. That just makes it even better if the ruling doesn't get overturned. Ireland is already helping to avoid paying a huge part of the EU taxes in a totally legal way. Still that wasn't enough for Apple, they had to dodge even more, and that's what's getting them nailed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

WTH thread!

Slightly makes up for their recent Burka bullshit.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dawncloack posted:

The US has automatic transfers towards states in a slump, and shared risk.

The same every country in Europe had wrt their own currency and their regions, but Europe doesn't because we are idiots.

The EU doesn't have it because it doesn't have the political integration required and that doesn't exist because voters have consistently voted against it by huge margins and trying to force the issue has led to a massive increase in the popularity of euro sceptic parties.

So it's far more complicated than 'people dumb lol'. The fact of the matter is that the fundamental structure of the EU is flawed and is finally collapsing. Why? The idea was that a currency union would lead to a political union but that idea is obviously wrong, in fact the exact opposite has occurred. Without that political union the single currency is doomed.

A lot of people seem to think the EU is like the US. It is, the problem is it's like pre civil war US but even then there was a lot more unifying features than the current EU has.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Beep boop the macron has been launched

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What has happened to the politicians who resigned in protest against the Hollande government, are they still in the public's eye or have they disappeared into obscurity?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

tsa posted:

A lot of people seem to think the EU is like the US. It is, the problem is it's like pre civil war US but even then there was a lot more unifying features than the current EU has.
The most appropriate comparison is Articles of Confederation America, not Antebellum America.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

WTH thread!

It's been dead in the water since Hillary turned on TPP

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Proof positive Austrians aren't racists.

It's a special type of racism where they don't even bother get the ethnicity of the person correct though.

I mean I kind of understand the annoyance (Salzburg has the most beggars i've seen in any western city) but Austrians need to chill out. They already put through a Bettelverbot for most frequented areas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Baxta posted:

It's a special type of racism where they don't even bother get the ethnicity of the person correct though.
I think that's a pretty common type of racism. It's more that they can't even distinguish the pale, dark-haired Romanians from the olive skinned peoples of the Middle East.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Baxta posted:

I mean I kind of understand the annoyance (Salzburg has the most beggars i've seen in any western city) but Austrians need to chill out. They already put through a Bettelverbot for most frequented areas.

Racists never let something like facts get in the way of some good old fashioned hate.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

WTH thread!

Please go ahead and post about it.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

double nine posted:

What has happened to the politicians who resigned in protest against the Hollande government, are they still in the public's eye or have they disappeared into obscurity?

Well, Christiane Taubira (pbuh) often posts cool stuff on Facebook and gets a bunch of likes, does that count?

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think that's a pretty common type of racism. It's more that they can't even distinguish the pale, dark-haired Romanians from the olive skinned peoples of the Middle East.

If other inner cities of Central Europe are any indication, then this subset of the Romanian population is also pretty olive skinned (i.e. Romanian is an euphemism for Roma). Btw. why is it "olive skinned", is there a light-brown variety besides the green and black ones?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Olive skin is a pretty typical description of eastern Mediterranean people's skin.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Well, Christiane Taubira (pbuh) often posts cool stuff on Facebook and gets a bunch of likes, does that count?

Montbourg has announced he is running for president

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Olive skin is a pretty typical description of eastern Mediterranean people's skin.

Yes but the question is why is it called olive when olives are black or green, and the trees grayish, neither which is a that light shade of brown, is it the color of the wood or some dumb stereotyping like "dem olive eaters around the Mediterranean"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

julian assflange posted:

Montbourg has announced he is running for president

i wanted to vote for him back in 2011

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Baxta posted:

Over here in Austria, theres a big push back against "refugees" but most of the ones who came over have been housed and are no longer in the big tents in town or the train station etc.

Finally I figured out the confusion. In Salzburg, there are a massive amount of beggars. In the altstadt its one or sometimes two on every corner. Legally this is fine. The weird thing is, the Austrians believe that these beggars (90% from Romania) are these Syrian/Afghan refugees which is a bit unfair to the refugees.

My mother lives near a refugee camp in Vienna. There is hardly a time the police isn't going there full speed.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

Yes but the question is why is it called olive when olives are black or green, and the trees grayish, neither which is a that light shade of brown, is it the color of the wood or some dumb stereotyping like "dem olive eaters around the Mediterranean"?
I quick googling makes the case that a lot women with olive skin actually do struggle with green undertones in their skin, as it clashes with the usual makeup advice for tan people. The green undertone might be a relative thing in this case, more a lack of reddish undertones than green per se, but I think it justifies the "olive" name. Especially seeing as the green in some olives is more of an undertone to yellow-greyish brown than distinctly green. And hell, it's not like white skin is actually white.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Ireland is on the side of Apple.

Brussels won't get a cent.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Nonsense posted:

Brussels won't get a cent.

They are not necessarily after that money, they are after future money and "even competition" between all members of the union. Which on some levels are great and some levels really dumb due to the fact that the EU is not a state where efficient cross country fiscal transfers can occur.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Nyandaber Z posted:

Still that wasn't enough for Apple, they had to dodge even more, and that's what's getting them nailed.
TBF I find it amusing that it's the company that's fined, not the country, when there are cases of state aid.

In this case, the Commission recognises that Corporate Tax is the exclusive remit of the member states, but judged that Ireland's interpretation of Irish tax law was incorrect, therefore Apple must pay due taxes.

If they really wanted state aid to stop, they'd ask Ireland to foot 13 B€. Things would change a lot, lot faster and countries would be a lot more careful with anything that might be misconstrued as state aid.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I quick googling makes the case that a lot women with olive skin actually do struggle with green undertones in their skin, as it clashes with the usual makeup advice for tan people. The green undertone might be a relative thing in this case, more a lack of reddish undertones than green per se, but I think it justifies the "olive" name. Especially seeing as the green in some olives is more of an undertone to yellow-greyish brown than distinctly green. And hell, it's not like white skin is actually white.

Also, I can somewhat buy that as any pale person with a hint of yellow in their skin tone gets pretty green veins instead of the more blue tinted ones in the pinkskinned.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

If the Euro were split into a low currency and higu currency would it help or hinder the current issue of daisy-chain catastrophe

Followup. Would a universal basic income be more viable in a 2 currency EU? I.E higer currency countries being taxed, that money converted into lower currency, then dispersed amongst the people.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 30, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How would that do anything?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nitrousoxide posted:

How would that do anything?

Creare a buffer betwewn countries like France ans Britain and Germany (rich country examples. Britain is gone got it). And Greece, and EE, aswell as new members. Depending on economic size.

If this low currency fails it doesnt bring down the whole of europe in one swoop. It allows much easier bailout or debt adjustments.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 30, 2016

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Shazback posted:

TBF I find it amusing that it's the company that's fined, not the country, when there are cases of state aid.

In this case, the Commission recognises that Corporate Tax is the exclusive remit of the member states, but judged that Ireland's interpretation of Irish tax law was incorrect, therefore Apple must pay due taxes.

If they really wanted state aid to stop, they'd ask Ireland to foot 13 B€. Things would change a lot, lot faster and countries would be a lot more careful with anything that might be misconstrued as state aid.

The company isn't getting fined. Ireland is required to take back the state aid it gives and thereby remove the market alteration they have committed. Apple is not getting punished, they're merely put in the situation they'd be in if Ireland had applied the law correctly. If Apple were to get punished, they'd have to pay those 13 B€ backtaxes (incl. interest) and then something extra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I mean who's gonna invest in a country using the "lovely" euro?