Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

still a big fan of their classic scrooge was actually cool, and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Uroboros posted:

Another gem from my stepfather's Facebook.

Just tell him you too support a return to 90% top tax rates, and compliment his historical acumen.

It'll confuse the poo poo out of him.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Just tell him you too support a return to 90% top tax rates, and compliment his historical acumen.

Just post a bunch of the different tax schemes that have existed in the US, adjusted for inflation. Maybe say "There was a country that managed to work this way but it just didn't last. Can anyone guess why not?".

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh I have no intention of touchy the poop, already made that mistake. Just wanted to give everyone a laugh.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The funniest thing is that lolbertarians invariably miss the point of that story. The bad thing wasn't that he was rich but that he was a selfish, miserly prick. He was still rich in the end he just wasn't a jerk about it anymore. Really the whole moral of the story was "don't be an rear end in a top hat."

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

This poo poo was in my Macroeconomic textbook last year.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funniest thing is that lolbertarians invariably miss the point of that story. The bad thing wasn't that he was rich but that he was a selfish, miserly prick. He was still rich in the end he just wasn't a jerk about it anymore. Really the whole moral of the story was "don't be an rear end in a top hat."

And, more specifically, "start caring about and celebrating Christmas again, you sneering Victorian pricks!"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A lesson that is antithetical to libertarianism

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Crossposting from the Memes thread:

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013
Goon Danton, you're a treasure. At the risk of being an as hole I humbly request a megapost of libertarians intersecting with white supremacists

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Goon Danton, you're a treasure. At the risk of being an as hole I humbly request a megapost of libertarians intersecting with white supremacists

This reminds me that the Libertarians Wiki is still a thing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

AShamefulDisplay posted:

That Venn Diagram is like a femtometer off of being just a circle.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Goon Danton posted:

Let's check in on our old friends at mises.org, shall we?

1) In which free market advocates dismiss supply-and-demand curves as nonsense

Can someone summarize this one? I tried reading it and I got as far as "prices are arbitrary constructs that economists made up" before I went "gee, you mean like all of libertarianiasm?" and my brain promptly shut itself off.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Buried alive posted:

Can someone summarize this one? I tried reading it and I got as far as "prices are arbitrary constructs that economists made up" before I went "gee, you mean like all of libertarianiasm?" and my brain promptly shut itself off.

It's the standard Austrian objection: sure, you have all these "facts" and "data," but have you considered that Humans Act? More specifically, they argue that demand curves don't exist because you can't actually see them directly, you can only extrapolate from data points (unlike, say, gravity, where oh no this analogy isn't going the way I want abort abort). Mainly, though, the argument is that human beings make individual actions according to their own situations, which can't have predictable outcomes in aggregate (unlike, say, extrapolating ensemble behavior from individual molecules, which oh no it's happening again abort abort abort).

I can't stress enough how openly Austrian Economics rejects the absolute basic requirements of being a science. They dismiss ideas like "alter your theories based on evidence" and "your theories should make falsifiable predictions" out of hand. To use some philosophy-of-science jargon, it's this weird example of a research programme that has degenerated completely, but somehow still has adherents. Specifically it's the rotted-out shell of the classical economics of Locke and Smith and Mill.

AShamefulDisplay posted:

Thanks! As for the white supremacism, GunnerJ has the right idea. The libertarian wiki has a start on that, which people are welcome to add to. What we have is already pretty :catstare:, though!

paragon1 posted:

Remember that guy who came into this thread and talked about how he rejected libertarianism because he thought it wasn't pessimistic enough about The Blacks and their cognitive abilities? Good times.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Remember that guy who came into this thread and talked about how he rejected libertarianism because he thought it wasn't pessimistic enough about The Blacks and their cognitive abilities? Good times.

Lmao what?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

If I'm remembering right, he's the one that unironically parroted the line about how if there was a black nation whites would need to subsidize it with foreign aid, so there's no sense in deporting them.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Look upon his posts, and despair.

Six hours, four posts, and somehow the ban was still overdue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If you're talking about that LuftWaffle guy, his beef with Libertarianism was that black people would be left alive.

Cabbage Disrespect
Apr 24, 2009

ROBUST COMBAT
Leonard Riflepiss
Soiled Meat

Goon Danton posted:

Let's check in on our old friends at mises.org, shall we?

1) In which free market advocates dismiss supply-and-demand curves as nonsense

Praxeology is one of my favorite dumb fringe econ things. HUMAN ACTION therefore reject empiric evidence in favor of being able to draw whatever conclusions are most convenient for you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The best racism was Saint Jrods brief fling with time preferences.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I think it was the juxtaposition of "libertarianism is individualist and racism is collectivist so libertarianism can't be racist" with "racial profiling is cool, and good, and strong, and my friend."

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Look upon his posts, and despair.

Six hours, four posts, and somehow the ban was still overdue.

Gahh, gently caress that guy

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Gahh, gently caress that guy

14 year old account, how does one not get banned well before now with those kind of views?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:confused: Well yeah, of course he w...oh, Ebenezer Scrooge. Of course, never mind.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

I'm getting caught up on the USPol thread, and found this. Remember that thing about Libertarian Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson dropping thirty grand on "internet web memes?"

Uroboros posted:

14 year old account, how does one not get banned well before now with those kind of views?

Simple, just say one word per year.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

paragon1 posted:

:v:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Ugh..the alt-right.

"We're not Nazis. They only hated Jews and gays. We hate way more people than that."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I can't keep up with this stupid angry white boy crap anymore.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Goon Danton posted:

I'm getting caught up on the USPol thread, and found this. Remember that thing about Libertarian Presidential Candidate Gary Johnson dropping thirty grand on "internet web memes?"

Simple, just say one word per year.

nice

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

That Kerbal avatar guy is so taken aback and outraged, it's almost like he wants justice for how he was treated in the social sphere. But will he fight for it?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
guys

http://www.strike-the-root.com/

http://www.strike-the-root.com/3/scarmig/scarmig1.html

i found a thing

How I Said No to the Automatic Social Security Number posted:

This is the story of how I successfully refused to accept a Social Security Number for my child.

I simply said 'no.'

Really. That's how easy it was. I just said no, again, and again.

On the Texas Application for Birth Certificate, which I was unable to get a copy of for this article, there is a check box down at the bottom of the page. It says, and I'm paraphrasing, 'Check here to have your child assigned a Social Security Number.'

A day or two after my daughter was born, a girl walked into our recovery room with a folder of papers and brochures. There were all kinds of release forms and medical advice and, of course, the birth certificate application. I had a pretty good idea which forms were required for our insurance. We filled those out, leaving off everything but the barest minimum required information. Then we got to the birth certificate, with the incongruous SSN checkbox stuck into a corner at the bottom of the second page. I left it blank, of course. I suspected what was going to happen, and when the hospital admin returned the forms to us to put our final signatures on, someone had very considerately checked the box for us.

My wife pointed out that we deliberately left the checkbox blank and that we did not want our child assigned a Social Security Number. The hospital admin blinked. That funny look came across her eyes. You know the one; that purple confusion that occurs when someone who is accustomed to people doing what she says suddenly slams into a brick wall of opposition? That was she.

'I ' I don't know how to do that,' she stammered.

Of course she knew how to do it. When you get to that matching field on the computer screen, you leave it blank! She just never had an opportunity to try. Her lucky day to learn something new!

I shrugged. 'Not my problem,' my shrug implied. She gathered up the papers, frustrated and annoyed, and left. We had obviously tossed a minor foible her way. drat new parents. Always wanting everything just the way they want it.

I turned around to see my mother-in-law, who is the quintessential 'Patriotic American'', trying to burn holes through me with her eyes. She had overheard the quibble about the Social Security Number and her patriotic duty was flying full mast (this was not too long after the September 11 massacre). Her cultural upbringing prevented her from actually voicing the question, so I just answered without waiting for her to speak.

'It's her choice,' I said, turning my head to my newborn.

'Social Security is voluntary. It's a contract. She's not old enough to understand it or make an informed decision. So, we believe it's a decision that should be left to her. She can always sign up when she's older, and knows what she's getting into.'

'But what if you die or get sick? Who will take care of her?' my mother-in-law demanded.

'I opened a half million dollar policy at work this week,' I countered. 'If I die, she gets a half-million bucks. That's a lot more than Social Security will ever pay her. Ever. I'll also put her on my health insurance. She's covered. I don't need Social Security to take care of her. We'll decide soon on setting up guardianship in the event we both die. And besides, there's always you.'

My wife voiced her support.

'Mom, it's our decision to make. Social Security is just bad. There won't be any money left when I retire, much less her, so we don't see the value in it. It's something we've discussed and agreed on and it's our decision to make, okay?'

My mother-in-law quietly accepted our decision. Or at least tolerated it. Or at least realized it was futile to argue any further.

A while later the room phone rang and I answered it.

'Mr. Allen? I understand you refused the Social Security Number for your child?'

'That's right.'

It was an older woman, obviously a supervisor of some kind. The razor in her voice was barely concealed.

'You do realize that without a Social Security Number she can't go to school or get a driver's license?' she menaced.

'Well,' I said as friendly as possible, 'it'll be a few years before she goes to school and even longer before she needs to drive. And I can always get her one later, right?' I knew I could, but I wanted to play the 'innocent' as much as possible. This lady was too close to government institutions for me to really want to piss her off.

She conceded that yes, my daughter could always get one later and abruptly hung up.

My mother-in-law had taken to staring out the window without blinking. Chinese for disapproval, I suppose.

A few minutes later the same hospital admin returned with our paperwork. The checkbox was blanked with whiteout, and a handwritten note authorized the correction. I signed my paternity (but left off my own SSN) and my wife finalized.

We weren't out of the woods yet. People in government are so conditioned to habit that I knew there was a strong possibility that someone would key in the SSN application in spite of the very explicit note. If we received a Social Security Card in her name in spite of our wishes, it would be almost impossible to have it rescinded. It requires essentially suing the hospital administration for misrepresentation and forgery, and once that victory is achieved, the results ram-rodded through the SSA. Good luck. The only other option I know of is to burn the card immediately and assume it never existed, something that may not be a bad idea for most adults as well.

It takes two to three weeks for a new Social Security card to be mailed to an applicant. My daughter has recently had her first birthday party and we have not received any contact from the SSA.

It was easy, far easier than I expected. Confidence defeats the habitual bully. But there were other ramifications beyond snotty hospital administrators. The health insurance was a bigger worry of mine than the hospital papers or the birth certificate. For the birth, I printed out and packed our state laws regarding the form of the birth certificate. They are very specific about which sections are required. Interestingly enough, the section dealing with the parents' Social Security Numbers and application for a child's Social Security Number are explicitly deemed 'not a part of the legal birth certificate.'1 I knew that was in the bag (and highlighted for easy pointing out to administrative automatons). But the health insurance was a big worry. I found nothing preventing a health insurer from refusing coverage to a dependent without a Social Security Number. In the end, I applied for the change of benefits and left my child's SSN field blank. In the course of conversations with agents to set up her benefits, only one even mentioned that she had no SSN. I simply said my daughter didn't have one yet. That seemed fine and I have so far had no issues or difficulties with either the insurance, doctors, or licensed child-care. Let me repeat that to make sure it sinks in. I have heath insurance, a pediatrician, and licensed child-care without my child needing an SSN. Interestingly enough, since then I have received computer generated documents on my daughter with the SSN filled in as 000-00-0001.

Since then, various family members have circulated our SSN choice through the grapevine, and I occasionally get messages from people asking how it is legal, or being angry with me for 'stealing' from America (as if American has more claim over my child than I do). The SSN conditioning is so deep even people who are old enough that one would think they remember not having an SSN believe that it is a requirement of citizenship in the United States from birth. As with many things in the freedom movement, being an example prompts more questions and interest than debating about it ever could. I've been able to educate dozens of people on the fact that a Social Security Number is not required for natural born citizens simply because I wouldn't accept one for my own child. This in itself is a great victory and a building block to spreading the freedom meme.

But I have had to be very careful about my reasoning. Obviously many people I talk to are shocked that my daughter does not have an SSN. Inevitably the conversation comes around to taxes. 'But how do you claim her as a dependant on your taxes?' they ask.

'I don't.'

And then the saddest part of the Social Security scheme rears its ugly head.

'But doesn't that cost you more money?'

Yes. Yes, it does. Not claiming a dependent on your taxes is your right. You always have the 'right' to pay more taxes. You always have the right to refuse a deduction. At our income, I figure not claiming my daughter costs me between $300 and $400 every year in tax deductions that I don't get back.

Most people reply with, 'Is that all?' I shrug and say, yeah, that's all. Three or four hundred dollars a year and my daughter is free from Social Security for as long as she wants to be.

And a few say, 'But that's a lot of money!'

And this is when I have to bite my tongue and refrain from replying. My child is worth more to me than a couple of hundred bucks a year. The condemnation in that statement is best left implied, rather than openly spoken. It's a conclusion that needs to be reached gently by the listener, rather than slapped in the face like a leather glove. But without exception, no one who has pursued that line of questioning with me has ever broached the subject again.

So that's it. My daughter is not a number. It will be her choice to enter the system if she wants. If she chooses, she can be self-employed and never pay income tax. She can keep the fruits of her labors for herself, or she can sign up for the social trough when and if she thinks it is appropriate. She will be educated on what it entails and how it works. She may have to learn to drive without a driver's license. She may have to learn to save for health expenses. She may have a more difficult life than many people, but she will have an opportunity of freedom that most people in America never receive. I can't make her take it. I can't make her embrace the difficult life of freedom in America . But I can give her the chance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol Jesus Christ the paranoia here.

quote:

My wife pointed out that we deliberately left the checkbox blank and that we did not want our child assigned a Social Security Number. The hospital admin blinked. That funny look came across her eyes. You know the one; that purple confusion that occurs when someone who is accustomed to people doing what she says suddenly slams into a brick wall of opposition? That was she.

Clearly, this is a domineering bully facing her first defiance, not someone completely flabbergasted by this correction to what's normally a legitimate oversight suddenly becoming some kind of issue.

quote:

'Mr. Allen? I understand you refused the Social Security Number for your child?'

'That's right.'

It was an older woman, obviously a supervisor of some kind. The razor in her voice was barely concealed.

'You do realize that without a Social Security Number she can't go to school or get a driver's license?' she menaced.

'Well,' I said as friendly as possible, 'it'll be a few years before she goes to school and even longer before she needs to drive. And I can always get her one later, right?' I knew I could, but I wanted to play the 'innocent' as much as possible. This lady was too close to government institutions for me to really want to piss her off.

Clearly, this person is some menacing MIB who's willing to send a SWAT team his way for mouthing off, not a harried administrators doing her due diligence with an annoying moron.

quote:

Obviously many people I talk to are shocked that my daughter does not have an SSN. Inevitably the conversation comes around to taxes. 'But how do you claim her as a dependant on your taxes?' they ask.

'I don't.'

And then the saddest part of the Social Security scheme rears its ugly head.

'But doesn't that cost you more money?'

Yes. Yes, it does. Not claiming a dependent on your taxes is your right. You always have the 'right' to pay more taxes. You always have the right to refuse a deduction. At our income, I figure not claiming my daughter costs me between $300 and $400 every year in tax deductions that I don't get back.

Most people reply with, 'Is that all?' I shrug and say, yeah, that's all. Three or four hundred dollars a year and my daughter is free from Social Security for as long as she wants to be.

And a few say, 'But that's a lot of money!'

And this is when I have to bite my tongue and refrain from replying. My child is worth more to me than a couple of hundred bucks a year.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I SELL MY BABY TO THE $TATE FOR A FEW HUNDO BUCKS and yet not getting this paltry sum is "the saddest part" uh ok???

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
lol i know right, i'll probably look through that site some more when i get bored with, well, everything else.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

GunnerJ posted:

lol Jesus Christ the paranoia here.

Clearly, this is a domineering bully facing her first defiance, not someone completely flabbergasted by this correction to what's normally a legitimate oversight suddenly becoming some kind of issue.

Clearly, this person is some menacing MIB who's willing to send a SWAT team his way for mouthing off, not a harried administrators doing her due diligence with an annoying moron.

HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST I SELL MY BABY TO THE $TATE FOR A FEW HUNDO BUCKS and yet not getting this paltry sum is "the saddest part" uh ok???

I found that whole thing grating. It's clear he's built his identity around a narrative where he's at war every waking moment. As a result, every interaction he has—even with his own relatives, for gently caress's sake—is tinged with hostility. He fancies himself a principled and noble knight struggling against a mighty dragon, when he's actually just an rear end in a top hat. It's probably a self-reinforcing cycle as this point: other people are certainly going to respond, defensively, to his rear end in a top hat vibes, and he'll just take this as confirmation that they're the Enemy.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

So, when he's saying she's "out of social security" for as long as possible, what does he think he's saving her from? Does he think government goons will come to take her piggy bank if she has a social security card? Does he think employers will be willing to hire someone with no SSN, or does he expect her to go into migrant agricultural work? Okay, now that I think about it he probably thinks she can just say "I do not consent to tax joinder toot toot" and not pay anything.

I love that he talks about all the laws he printed out in the hopes of a big showdown with the government agent who hangs out in the hospital, and then it turns out that nobody gave a poo poo about his principled stand once they found out he was being stupid on purpose instead of by accident. It's like watching a dog bark at cars as they drive by. Keep chasing off those Toyotas, man, show them who's boss.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

He seems to think that if you don't have an SSN you don't get money taken out of your paycheck for Social Security, or possibly that you don't have to pay any income tax whatsoever and uh I am not sure that is how it works at all!

eta: About employers, he believes the benefit he has provided his daughter is the chance to "be self-employed and never pay income tax" for the low, low price of not being able to get a diver's license or health insurance in her own name.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 2, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

He seems to think that if you don't have an SSN you don't get money taken out of your paycheck for Social Security, or possibly that you don't have to pay any income tax whatsoever and uh I am not sure that it how it works at all!

Well, she won't ever get a paycheck without a SSN anyway, so gently caress it!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, even if you run your own business, you're still obligated to pay the self-employment tax, which is social security and medicare taxes at double the rate, since you have make up for the employer's contribution as well.

Though considering that essay contained the words "She may have to learn to drive without a driver's license." I'm not certain he cares super hard about his daughter obeying the law anyway.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I picture her getting into a rebellious phase where she explains Society 101 and doesn't want to be breaking the law just for driving to a friend's house. Somehow I can't imagine him being cool with her demonstration of personal autonomy.

Of course, growing up with such a Freedom Knight will probably teach her plenty about never gainsaying him, if she even manages not to be completely brainwashed by the rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900
This article got linked by strike-the-root:

How dare the law stop me from loving a 12-year-old posted:

It's no fix just to lower the "age of consent." Some girls are mature at 12 or 13, some not until 18. No one-size-fits-all age will do. The whole idea of statutory rape needs to be scrapped. A girl who is not physically mature will not wish to have sex, so will not consent; if a man then forces himself on her, rape will have occurred without question. If on the other hand she is mature and does want it, no third party should interfere.

But that's hardly the half of it. Not only are stat-rape laws outrageous in that they deny self-ownership to maturing girls, every law is outrageous in that it denies everyone self-ownership!

Why do so many libertarians want to gently caress kids?