Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

VikingSkull posted:

People have paid ~$200,000 for a Range Rover

think about that

For that kind of money you could buy several cars that aren't Range Rovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Falken posted:

On the subject of unnecessarily costly upgrades, if you go to the Range Rover website and build your own Range Rover, there are two engine options. The two petrol ones are V8s, one being a naturally aspirated one, and the other being the same engine, but supercharged with +40hp.

This upgrade bumps the price up £40,000 or so, somehow.

Rather than making a big stupid lump of a vehicle faster, why not take that 40k and buy a... fast car?

Admittedly the only supercharger I've ever looked into details of was for an LS1 which claimed to add ~150hp. Is it normal for a supercharger to only add 40hp? That seems like something people so dumb would pay for that Range Rover could just mess with the ecu a little and just tell them they added a supercharger.

Edit: If they call them on it they can just say it's as intended, we just super-charged you a lot for tweaking 40hp out of the existing engine.

davebo fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 30, 2016

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Rhyno posted:

Found on the streets of Chicago last weekend

International Metro. I saw this flatbed truck variant at a tractor show. It was being used to transport and display an IH Titan, an early kerosene tractor.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I want one. Couldn't find pricing on the site but I'd guess it's crazy money even if it's only surface cleaning.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The svr Range Rover is insanely cool you mentalists. Also it sounds absolutely berserk.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Bape Culture posted:

The svr Range Rover is insanely cool you mentalists. Also it sounds absolutely berserk.

You don't understand!!! With the money you save buying the normal range rover you can also buy an mx5 or focus st!!!!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

fridge corn posted:

You don't understand!!! With the money you save buying the normal range rover you can also buy an mx5 or focus st!!!!

I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is, but I'm pretty sure it's failing.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Falken posted:

On the subject of unnecessarily costly upgrades, if you go to the Range Rover website and build your own Range Rover, there are two engine options. The two petrol ones are V8s, one being a naturally aspirated one, and the other being the same engine, but supercharged with +40hp.

This upgrade bumps the price up £40,000 or so, somehow.

Rather than making a big stupid lump of a vehicle faster, why not take that 40k and buy a... fast car?

Both are supercharged. The 510hp motor is available in Range Rover and Range Rover Autobiography.

The 550hp motor is available in the Range Rover SVAutobiography LWB (and SVA Dynamic) which are bespoke cars prepped by Special Vehicle Operations and including a bunch of extra kit. Hence the price.

Hope this helps :shobon:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Linedance posted:

I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is, but I'm pretty sure it's failing.

Pretty sure fridge's post was meant to be taken as sarcasm.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

fridge corn posted:

This unironically.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would be pretty darn happy with "just" as Focus ST. Hot hatches own and they shouldn't be only for 20 year old kids working their first job.

But I subscribe to the James May school of enthusiast driving, where it's more fun to drive on the edge in a slow car than it is to have an exotic and never have enough room or skill to really open it up.

Or maybe if I had no financial responsibilities, the Focus RS. In a three door config.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Pfft a Range Rover with only only 510 HP? Some guy had that in a Skoda Yeti. Past tense because it ate a piston and is getting rebuilt with 700hp.

That unassuming soft roader has an Audi TTRS drive train and passes 911s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAm4CgJfdWo

https://twistandlean.net/2016/08/08/not-your-average-skoda/

The same guy is also building a Skoda Citigo with AWD :11tea:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
$2016 GRM Soccer Mom Challenge

Money shot:
Dustbuster van body on top of a G6

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

davebo posted:

Admittedly the only supercharger I've ever looked into details of was for an LS1 which claimed to add ~150hp. Is it normal for a supercharger to only add 40hp? That seems like something people so dumb would pay for that Range Rover could just mess with the ecu a little and just tell them they added a supercharger.

Edit: If they call them on it they can just say it's as intended, we just super-charged you a lot for tweaking 40hp out of the existing engine.

Aftermarket blowers don't have to concern themselves with engine service life, factory options are a bit more constrained in how much they add.

Admittedly the LS9 has a hefty boost over the LS3 it's based on, but look how much more the ZR-1 cost than the base model. It's that classic triangle: Cheap, fast, reliable, pick two.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stump posted:

Pfft a Range Rover with only only 510 HP? Some guy had that in a Skoda Yeti. Past tense because it ate a piston and is getting rebuilt with 700hp.

That unassuming soft roader has an Audi TTRS drive train and passes 911s.

He should put that drivetrain in a Roomster and really mess with people.

Left Ventricle posted:

Money shot:

I fully support this. That thing is gonna be a riot.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Aftermarket blowers don't have to concern themselves with engine service life, factory options are a bit more constrained in how much they add.

Admittedly the LS9 has a hefty boost over the LS3 it's based on, but look how much more the ZR-1 cost than the base model. It's that classic triangle: Cheap, fast, reliable, pick two.

Well, we're talking about a top end range rover, so you can throw two of those picks right out the window to start with.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Enourmo posted:

Well with the information that both of the engines were supercharged after all, my question about the 40hp supercharger was nullified. Unless anyone else happens to know what the smallest horsepower gain from a factory supercharged version of an engine is?

Edit: vv geez you're right. I should have remembered that since I had a 2002 Monte Carlo with the 3.4l for over a decade. And then when a mediocre supercharger wasn't enough they bumped the SS to a V8. Because I guess there was demand for a sixteen and a half foot long FWD coupe with a V8?

davebo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 31, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

davebo posted:

Well with the information that both of the engines were supercharged after all, my question about the 40hp supercharger was nullified. Unless anyone else happens to know what the smallest horsepower gain from a factory supercharged version of an engine is?

The 3800sc makes 37HP over the N/A version, for what it's worth.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So.. umm, I have no idea what a Dastun is, but... holy poo poo...

http://nh.craigslist.org/cto/5713061966.html

quote:

Dastun powered RHD Mustang racecar - $1200 (Unity, NH)

If the title sounds confusing then you are not alone. If you have not heard of The 24 Hours of LeMons, then check them out on the web before continuing. If you do know about this race series, or just have a need for a very unique and/or weird racecar, then here are the details. The base chassis is a 1991 Ford Mustang LX, 4 cyl. It has some 5.0 GT bits, mainly the sway bars, springs, front spindles and brakes. The engine is from a 1982 Datsun 280ZX (non turbo) and the tranny is a 5-speed from a 1978 280Z. This will all make sense once you know the history of this build, but that's not important right now.

Currently the engine is not running. There is some sort of ignition glitch that I haven't quite solved. Oh yeah, the engine has the dual carb setup from a 260Z engine, no fuel injection headaches to worry about here. It will crank, sputter, backfire and maybe stumble for a bit, but to be clear, it doesn't run right now.

Now, why RHD you ask. The theme of this car was originally the Mad Max Interceptor (October 2014 NHMS race) and we wanted to do it correctly so we converted it to right hand drive. The steering rack is from a MK3 UK Ford Granada, the steering column is the original Mustang stuff and the pedal cluster is from a 1978 Datsun 280Z. Don't worry, I'll write all this down for the buyer. it takes a little getting used to driving, but you get the hang of shifting with your left hand pretty quick.

The current theme (October 2015 NHMS race) is the Doof Wagon from the new Mad Max movie. The lucky purchaser will get any and all of the speakers, plus more that were not put on the car. We no longer have the original nose from the Mustang so the International Loadstar 1700 hood is it. It's been battle tested and is pretty stout.

It would be lots of fun at autocrosses, hillclimbs and probably even drift events. (Oh yeah, we welded the diff.) It would also be a good entry level car for the Lemons events with a little work. We were in the process of remounting the seat for more head clearance to the top of the cage so that work needs to be completed.

Drop me an email if even remotely interested. We may be able to help with delivery within a few hours or so of Claremont, NH.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mustang-ish

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Wouldn't charging $1200 for that ruin its chances in LeMons?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No because bribes are a fundamental feature of lemons.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I love the casual "oh yeah, we welded the diff" like it ain't no thing.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Money shot:

This has me unbelievably hard. In high school there was a guy that raced a white Montana van like that. No interior and the older 3800 with a SC slapped on. It was awesome watching that car beat new mustangs and any rice mobile that took the bait.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Deeters posted:

Wouldn't charging $1200 for that ruin its chances in LeMons?

You could try to sell $700 worth of parts off of the car to make up the difference. Not that it looks like there is $700 worth of parts (essential or not) to begin with. Then again depending on how much that roll cage is worth, you could get within spitting range of making it eligible.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love the casual "oh yeah, we welded the diff" like it ain't no thing.

with that much bodyroll its not an issue.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Dougie did it. He bought the best car ever. It's gonna be so fun to follow.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Best looking Viper in best paint scheme.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
There's nothing more perfect than late 90s Viper coupes. Love 'em.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

No ABS? Was that a standard thing or is the PO of that thing just completely insane?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

88h88 posted:

No ABS? Was that a standard thing or is the PO of that thing just completely insane?

Pretty sure ABS didn't show up until the second generation in 2003.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Early vipers have pretty much no driver aids.

E: f;b

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The early ones sound absolutely terrifying. Makes me like them even more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The first Viper was as true to the Cobra formula as they could make it. Big fuckoff engine in just about the minimum amount of car needed for said engine. Hope you don't die on the test drive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even better it had a bunch of untapped potential so it was relatively cheap to get even more insanity out of it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
This was posted in AI at some point a couple of years ago. I keep the txt saved because :lol::lol:

quote:

The Viper has actually done us a major service in removing the kind of people who would own a Viper from public society. When the car was announced they appeared unbidden at the gates of Dodge dealerships across the country, rubbing their blood-stained hands against the immaculate window glass until a salesman came outside and taught them how to use a door.

Wild-eyed, these men first attempted to pay for their factory hot rods with clusters of pulled hair and bloody teeth before pulling out inexplicable sums of money from their dragon-like hoard of cash, saturated with the tang of human blood to the point that it dripped crimson trails onto the manicured industrial-estate tile flooring. Innocent salesmen who went along with them for the test drive "for insurance purposes" returned shaken, mute, with white hair and permanently dilated pupils, unable to share their tale of the horrors that ensued on that fateful use of the dealer plate. Normal people would never attend the Dodge dealership to witness these vehicles, being perfectly happy to gaze at them from an aesthetic perspective before plopping down an outsize credit note on lifted minivan after lifted minivan, continuing on with their life and never descending into the kind of purestrain madness that would promote the purchase of a Viper.

Seemingly unemployed, these Viper owners wreaked havoc across the nation, dragging their RT/10s on our highways and byways before locating and docking with the nearest tree to the dealership. Those who survived their high-speed Viper crash were reborn in a baptism of fire, taking these broken men and giving us new, hardened, experienced psychopaths who immediately set out to purchase a second generation Viper when it became available. Despite the Dodge, for years America was helpless, crippled with fear of these dearborists, and our economy collapsed to the point that the Europeans were able to take advantage of our weakened world position, launching savage leveraged takeovers that crippled our most useless corporations, among them the mother of the Viper. The Dodge was struck down, and the Viper was to cease.

The Dodge, under the direction of the Germans, lost its love of terror and spectacle and discontinued the Viper as they instead concentrated on making more lifted minivans to attract the kind of man who would only appreciate the Viper as an abstract spectacle of wealth and power, rather than a direct-engagement three-pedaled suicide machine rendered from brimstone and lubricated with the souls of the damned. The loyalists were lost in the wild, hoarding the few remaining examples from being crashed into trees at high speeds and sequestering them away amongst yachts and period-correct lowboy restorations at a gathering known only as Barrett-Jackson.

Before long the original Viper owner hoard began to thin itself out, and the surviving cars began to depreciate. That's when they came down from the mountain. Cheap-rear end hobbyists. Clutching Weiand blowers and laughing in their odd high pitch, half-panicked, half-aroused as they eyed what was left of their fiberglass-bodied ankle-burning sex machine. The next age of Viper Terror was among us. The kind of man who would originally buy a new Viper became restless, and they swarmed across Wall Street, launching the world into an orgy of high-risk, violent bets that struck out at the common man. In order to sate their desire for adrenalin and property destruction, these men had gained power and cast the world into economic disaster that destroyed even The Dodge they once embraced.

After many more months of darkness, The Dodge returned. A man who had been to hell and back approached the podium. The Gilles told us of a new Viper - a new promise - and that America would soon be unified under an appreciation for the new Viper. Our nation's psychos would be comfortably ensconced once again in a faux-luxury hot rod that had a predilection for snap oversteer and brutal triple-digit crashes that atomized the occupants of the car.

America was safe. This time we had learned not to fear the Viper, but to fund it with our governments.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
To this very day I have never gotten more hateful comments than I did from that one.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/an-abstract-spectacle-of-wealth-and-power-1749606440

It's amazing how many people own Vipers and yet somehow still have no sense of humour.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/08/porsche-959-indulgence/

:flashfap:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To this very day I have never gotten more hateful comments than I did from that one.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/an-abstract-spectacle-of-wealth-and-power-1749606440

It's amazing how many people own Vipers and yet somehow still have no sense of humour.

I should have remembered it was you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I should have remembered it was you. :v:

I still hope someone turns up my old RUF Porsche one, because that deserves to go into the Library of Congress twice.