Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Aside from TVs using a coax port for the antenna, the TV I used to play N64 in my room had the two prongs for antenna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've used those to connect a coax antenna to a TV that only had a pair of screw terminals on the back

edit: posting also jogged my memory that I also used it the other way around since my family's cottage only had screw terminals coming out of the wall from the antenna

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Aug 30, 2016

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I am catching up on 20 pages but I never heard those things to be called "dittos". We called them "rexos"; short for Rexograph. Interestingly enough I cannot find anyone else who called them rexos except kids I knew growing up. I thought it was a regional thing but it was called rexos in Brooklyn and dittos 15 miles away on Long Island so I can't figure out what was up with NYC using the term "rexo" while everyone else on the face of the planet called them a "ditto".

I just looked into this as I never heard of it before. I am actually shocked no one figure out how to use this to pirate Sega Saturn games, considering the only copy protection (as far as I know) was that the Saturn physically looked for the word "Sega" on the rim of the disc.

edit:

What is the adapter/converter on the right called? I need one to hook up my Ti99/a to my TV!

300 to 75 ohm balun

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

nigga crab pollock posted:

i think it's just a generic antenna connector, but every television i've been familiar with just uses coax as the antenna, even the v old ones. im going to guess anything post 1980 doesnt really have one since ive never really seen one on an actual tv. i think its from the period where there wasn't poo poo to hook up to your Tv, so the only thing in the back was an antenna port?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-Push-On-Antenna-Matching-Transformer-300-75-Ohm-TV-F-Coax-Adapter-DT-/262458328325

thank you ccp for paying for shipping so its a dollar straight from fuckin hong kong

Jumpingmanjim posted:

300 to 75 ohm balun

Thank you! I kept searching for "RF prong adapter" and literally nothing would come up.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

You also had these going the other direction if you had to hook up coax to an older tv with the screw terminals.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
yeah thats a balun

Germstore posted:

You also had these going the other direction if you had to hook up coax to an older tv with the screw terminals.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Casimir Radon posted:

I would have figured that the HDMI scam would be over by now. Still go to a brick and mortar store and they want $30 for a reasonable length one. So AmazonBasics it is. I think they might actually sell those at a slight loss but I'm just haopy not getting screwed.

There was an incredible article I read where someone was set out to prove that the expensive HDMI cables were all bullshit. He bought the cheapest HDMI cable available and one of the most expensive (over $100) and he basically put the whole argument to rest. He used an image capture device, and saved a BMP of the image coming from his PS3. He simply swapped cables, and took the image again.

He ran it through a checksum program and the checksum was 100% identical between the two bitmaps.

Monster did make good analog cables when there was a sea of buzz-prone poo poo out there (the Monster Cable s-video cables for Gamecube get $80 on eBay for a reason; because 99% of the s-video cables for the system are pure dogshit), but once digital became a thing, they should have disappeared. Instead they sue companies like Monster Energy Drink and the movie Monster, Inc., and hilariously enough after I just checked their CEO's bio, they also seem to have a copyright on the word "revolutionized", and not even in a brand name sense. Seriously, check it out. It's surreal: https://www.monsterproducts.com/company/about-monster

Chumbawumba4ever97 has a new favorite as of 15:54 on Aug 30, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

There was an incredible article I read where someone was set out to prove that the expensive HDMI cables were all bullshit. He bought the cheapest HDMI cable available and one of the most expensive (over $100) and he basically put the whole argument to rest. He used an image capture device, and saved a BMP of the image coming from his PS3. He simply swapped cables, and took the image again.

He ran it through a checksum program and the checksum was 100% identical between the two bitmaps.

Monster did make good analog cables when there was a sea of buzz-prone poo poo out there, but once digital became a thing, they should have disappeared. Instead they sue companies like Monster Energy Drink and the movies Monster, Inc., and hilariously enough after I just checked their CEO's bio, they also seem to have a copyright on the word "revolutionize", and not even in a brand name sense. Seriously, check it out. It's surreal: https://www.monsterproducts.com/company/about-monster

Turns out 1's and 0's don't care how much oxygen in is your cable.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Turns out 1's and 0's don't care how much oxygen in is your cable.

I mean even I knew it was total bullshit because digital is digital but it's still funny to me that the drat checksum/hash was identical. Like there was literally not even a pixel in the overscan area that was slightly off.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
you can probably push a video signal a longer distance through a higher quality cable but regardless of that you can buy hdmi>cat5 extenders and like forty feet of cat 5 cable for <$20

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

stinky ox posted:

Those clockmaking videos are fantastic. As a clumsy ox who's about as handy as a newt it's lovely to watch that guy making his skills look so effortless. Beautiful stuff.

In a somewhat similar vein here's a French chap hand-building some vacuum tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzyXMEpq4qw

This doesn't seem like it should be possible. :psyduck:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dick Trauma posted:

This doesn't seem like it should be possible. :psyduck:

What part of it?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Germstore posted:

I had to use one of those with a really old TV and an NES at one point.

Though years later, on a newer TV and with a cable box, when I didn't need to use the coax connection for the TV anymore, I was able to use one of these for my old systems:

F-type to coax adapter. Basically you could avoid using the TV/Game switch and just plug the console directly into the TV. You could even use an RCA switchbox and standard cables to hook up multiple systems. And the image quality was a lot nicer than using one of those switches (as nice old Ataris and Colecos would look, anyway).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

nigga crab pollock posted:

you can probably push a video signal a longer distance through a higher quality cable but regardless of that you can buy hdmi>cat5 extenders and like forty feet of cat 5 cable for <$20
I'm sure there are bad HDMI cables coming out of China that either have bad build quality or simply don't work. But some companies like Monster have just gone off to the races with this poo poo. I checked a few stores before just getting AmazonBasics cables and they were all doing it.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Just a bog standard hdmi cable in a store is $30. I wonder if the ignorant or desperate buy enough of those to offset the fact that everyone else goes to amazon or monoprice and pays $6.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Germstore posted:

Just a bog standard hdmi cable in a store is $30. I wonder if the ignorant or desperate buy enough of those to offset the fact that everyone else goes to amazon or monoprice and pays $6.

the "oh poo poo i need an hdmi cable RIGHT NOW" tax.

Also, that's relatively cheap compared to the bad old days of 2006 when hdmi cables were like $80 minimum at retail stores

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

Also, that's relatively cheap compared to the bad old days of 2006 when hdmi cables were like $80 minimum at retail stores
My thinking was "It's 2015 and AmazonBasics has been around since at least 2010. They can't still be trying to pull this scam, right?"

Wrong.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I can't remember if I mentioned this in the thread before or not but the first time I ever walked into a Best Buy (I just moved to Halifax after living in rural Newfoundland for 23 years) I saw a display full of "high quality" HDMI cables and they cost like $349.99 or something loving insane. I just turned around and left again because i figured the rest of the store couldn't be any more interesting than that.

This was in late 2009.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Best Buy is hilarious because the one near me is so completely jam packed with displays and employees it's almost difficult to move through it

And yeah, HDMI racket still going strong and I imagine it's a combination of "gently caress I need a cable immediately" and "grandpa and grandma get their first HD TV and don't want to fuss around with online shopping, that nice boy what sold us the TV told us this cable was good"

Also how the gently caress does Best Buy keep that many employees employed in tyool 2016, like when I go at least half the floor people are just wandering aimlessly doing nothing

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

Best Buy is hilarious because the one near me is so completely jam packed with displays and employees it's almost difficult to move through it

And yeah, HDMI racket still going strong and I imagine it's a combination of "gently caress I need a cable immediately" and "grandpa and grandma get their first HD TV and don't want to fuss around with online shopping, that nice boy what sold us the TV told us this cable was good"

Also how the gently caress does Best Buy keep that many employees employed in tyool 2016, like when I go at least half the floor people are just wandering aimlessly doing nothing

The only reason Best Buy didn't go into bankruptcy is their CEO figured out you could sell floor/rack space in your big box store to vendors. http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/best-buy-stores/ . They likely make more money subleasing to Samsung, Apple, etc than they make in actual sales. Half the people in store work for the stores within the store and not best buy directly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I went in the Best Buy last week to recycle my grandmas 25 year old tv.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

The only reason Best Buy didn't go into bankruptcy is their CEO figured out you could sell floor/rack space in your big box store to vendors. http://fortune.com/2014/06/10/best-buy-stores/ . They likely make more money subleasing to Samsung, Apple, etc than they make in actual sales. Half the people in store work for the stores within the store and not best buy directly.

That, and they have actually done a decent job as an online retailer, too. There have been a few things I ended up getting from them because they beat Tigerdirect and Newegg in pricing, with the added bonus of being able to pick it up from the brick and mortar store.

In terms of tech relics, anyone else have fond memories of Circuit City? My last fuckoff giant CRT TV was from Circuit City, if memory serves.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Best buy really isn't that bad. It's annoying to get approached constantly when I'm looking at new movies or a 4k TV or whatever, but the store itself is fine. The one in the mall of America was also pretty decent from what I remember

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

That... makes perfect sense, huh.

There's a massive Samsung area that takes up the front of my local store, and its always covered in employees buzzing around.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That, and they have actually done a decent job as an online retailer, too. There have been a few things I ended up getting from them because they beat Tigerdirect and Newegg in pricing, with the added bonus of being able to pick it up from the brick and mortar store.

In terms of tech relics, anyone else have fond memories of Circuit City? My last fuckoff giant CRT TV was from Circuit City, if memory serves.

Still an empty building which once was a circuit city near by. Has the red wall and where the logo used to be.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Code Jockey posted:

There's a massive Samsung area that takes up the front of my local store, and its always covered in employees buzzing around.
There's a reason why a lot of them have Pacific Homes (or however it's called) as a substore inside that handles all the Washer/Dryer home appliance sales.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember trying to use a WebTV at Circuit City to get onto my ancient web-based anime chat room I frequented*. Also the only time I ever saw a DIXV player or whatever was there.

*Still around and functional, more than can be said for CC or WebTV.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I worked at CC up until like 2 months before they went under. In PC/camera sales. It was good.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I miss the days of massive rebates if you wanted to role the dice. There'd be times where I could swing into a Circuit City, Office Max, etc. and end up after rebates getting some really good deals.

The moment that Office Max started their, "We're getting rid of rebates" plan, it feels like the sales and deals got so much lesser over the years.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wrong thread

Kirk Vikernes has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Aug 31, 2016

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Speaking of the "need a cable right now" tax, back in the day (at Best Buy, strangely enough), they sold parallel cables for $20. When put into packages, they usually went in for "free" or drastically reduced, so I got to wondering one day what the actual cost was.

Turns out they were less than $2 each. 1000% markup.

But hey, they were right there in the store if you needed one! And back then, there wasn't Amazon Prime or even Monoprice. If you wanted it cheap, you had to mail-order it by phone and wait a couple weeks.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Oh the days when RCA cables were considered futuristic.

Also that wireframe reveal effect was seen as a really cool way to show off something was digital.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Monster did make good analog cables when there was a sea of buzz-prone poo poo out there (the Monster Cable s-video cables for Gamecube get $80 on eBay for a reason; because 99% of the s-video cables for the system are pure dogshit), but once digital became a thing, they should have disappeared. Instead they sue companies like Monster Energy Drink and the movie Monster, Inc., and hilariously enough after I just checked their CEO's bio, they also seem to have a copyright on the word "revolutionized", and not even in a brand name sense. Seriously, check it out. It's surreal: https://www.monsterproducts.com/company/about-monster

I've seen in store monster demos where they compare the Monster HDMI cable with an ordinary composite cable.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

WebDog posted:

Also that wireframe reveal effect was seen as a really cool way to show off something was digital.

In Brazil they had wireless RF modulators.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Captain Yossarian posted:

Best buy really isn't that bad. It's annoying to get approached constantly when I'm looking at new movies or a 4k TV or whatever, but the store itself is fine. The one in the mall of America was also pretty decent from what I remember

I recommend getting an extended warranty for your device sir it's just an additional $200 and extends services to your device for an additional three years. It's worth every penny i assure you

janitorx
May 3, 2002

I'm cuckoo for cocoa cocks!

woodch posted:

Speaking of the "need a cable right now" tax, back in the day (at Best Buy, strangely enough), they sold parallel cables for $20. When put into packages, they usually went in for "free" or drastically reduced, so I got to wondering one day what the actual cost was.

Turns out they were less than $2 each. 1000% markup.

But hey, they were right there in the store if you needed one! And back then, there wasn't Amazon Prime or even Monoprice. If you wanted it cheap, you had to mail-order it by phone and wait a couple weeks.

When I worked at CompUSA back in the day, employee discount was cost+5% I think, i could get a $60 external SCSI cable for around $8. Margin on cables has always been excessive.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

WebDog posted:

I remember a rollercoaster of emotion when I brought my N64 home and I thought that I'd have to go all the way back to the store to buy this thingy because none of our TVs had RCA inputs.

Then...

I plugged the cables into the VCR's RCA inputs and fiddled with the VCR remote until I saw the Mario 64 title screen and I felt like the smartest kid on the block.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

WebDog posted:

My brother's and I had ours hooked up via S-video. If RCAs were futuristic (introduced in 1940s or 50s),S-video must have been some alternate dimension poo poo.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

My brother's and I had ours hooked up via S-video. If RCAs were futuristic (introduced in 1940s or 50s),S-video must have been some alternate dimension poo poo.
hahah yup it felt that way back then. Plugging them in and simply pressing Video 2 felt like the arrival of sliced bread.

My folks were in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp so until the TV actually began to die they didn't really look at replacing it. Even when TV switched over to digital that was mitigated by a set top box.
The same also seemed to go with most of my social circle at the time so that RF adaptor got a ton of use being fed into VCRs to get properly working on a stubborn TV that refused to tune.

Some mates backroom TV's were ancient little black and white things which necessitated the banning of certain maps in GoldenEye like Caverns because it was impossible to see anything.
The best troll on one of them was to play hold the flag on Bunker wearing the Siberian costume and stand facing the trees outside. You blended in perfectly and screen cheating didn't help as you just saw a blur of grey and black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
i used to have a genesis, super nintendo, and nes RF adapters daisy chained behind the old behemoth console television