Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can anyone help me understand the ESPN FAAB difference between continuous (picking individual days) and regular (picking a period of time)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
From what I understand, continuous means that when waivers clear and players go to teams based on bids, all "Free Agents" go right back onto waivers to be bid on.

In the non-continuous, Free Agents can be picked up without bidding money until the next waiver period.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I encourage waiting on QB, but leaving it to after-thought is dangerous and a little silly. There's no reason not to start thinking about a QB around round 8, but I would never wait until 12-14 for a starter that's crazy. I've been getting Carr and Tannehill at 10/11/12 and I'm really happy with that and there's no way in hell I'd be comfortable entering a season with the worse QBs I'd get at the bottom of the barrel.

Also, remember that people are stupid and will draft a backup to Rodgers/Newton/Wilson/etc. before the last 3 rounds, so if you think you're all smarter than the room and hey I'm gonna wait :riker: you're probably going to overthink and gently caress yourself

This. Have a list and if a steal falls, get them whenever. If nothing falls, be sure to catch a guy on your list once it starts thinning out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Teddy Bridgewater might have just blown out his knee.

MrSargent posted:

From what I understand, continuous means that when waivers clear and players go to teams based on bids, all "Free Agents" go right back onto waivers to be bid on.

In the non-continuous, Free Agents can be picked up without bidding money until the next waiver period.

Non-continuous seems like the right call I guess but it doesn't specify when waivers go off.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
lol you loving idiots that drafted any vikings thinking that they'd be a competent franchise for the first time ever

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

TommyGun85 posted:

your last 4 picks should be QB, TE, DEF, K in that order.

Unless you're in one of these drat 20 bench slot leagues like I seem to end up in. There comes a point where that defense and kicker is far more useful than the 5th string WR on the Chiefs

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

lol you loving idiots that drafted any vikings thinking that they'd be a competent franchise for the first time ever

Adrian Peterson went #2 overall in my 12-team half-ppr league lol. I mean I know that probably means he will get fed more but the box will be stacked against him on every down.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MrSargent posted:

the box will be stacked against him on every down.

Has he ever had a quarterback where that wasn't the case?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Brett Favre? But yah that wasn't for long. I think while Teddy wasn't great, he is much better than Shaun Hill. I don't think Teddy going down helps AP at all is really what I meant.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Would you guys drop Tajae Sharpe for Michael Thomas? How about for Travis Benjamin?

Also, would you rather have old man Gates or old man Witten?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuce

A million sleeper articles rendered moot

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/770712853670162432

Another July Puff Piece Hall of Famer bites the dust.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Mikey Purp posted:

Would you guys drop Tajae Sharpe for Michael Thomas? How about for Travis Benjamin?

Also, would you rather have old man Gates or old man Witten?

No to both for the first.

For the second, I'd take Gates for a high ceiling TE or Witten for a high floor TE.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Bah God that's Quinton Patton's music!

*runs 25 yards backwards*

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MrSargent posted:

Adrian Peterson went #2 overall in my 12-team half-ppr league lol. I mean I know that probably means he will get fed more but the box will be stacked against him on every down.

So it's going to be like every other season he has been in the NFL.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I think Michael Thomas is droppable in 12+ team re-draft if you're in a crunch. For all the OTA and camp praise, he's looked like poo poo in game action and I would bet my life savings that every NO passing target that isn't Cooks, and potentially Fleener if he actually gets his poo poo together, are going to cannibalize the poo poo out of each other. I would most certainly not keep him at the cost of losing Benjamin or Sharpe

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

jabro posted:

So it's going to be like every other season he has been in the NFL.

I mentioned the 2 seasons he played with Favre above but I see what you mean. I was arguing that this hurts AP's value more than it helps but I could be wrong.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Azhais posted:

Has he ever had a quarterback where that wasn't the case?

He was also not in his 30s then. I've learned not to bet against him, but at this point, unless Johnson falls past the turn, I'd rather have Gronk or nearly all of the top 10-15 WRs at their ADP than pretty much any of the RBs going in the first 20 picks and this definitely reinforces why Peterson falls on that list

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

MrSargent posted:

I mentioned the 2 seasons he played with Favre above but I see what you mean. I was arguing that this hurts AP's value more than it helps but I could be wrong.

I think it doesn't change anything. Teddy was the 24th ranked QB last year, the lowest ranked QB that played in every game.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Teams are cutting now and there are competent backup QBs to be had. Vikes will surely pick one up. Mark Sanchez? Christian Ponder, maybe?

Then again Zach Mettenberger is also available, so things could get worse.

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.
My hope is Aaron Murray (supposedly KC are shopping him) winds up in Minnesota. He has a handle on KC's system and a decent arm to actually punish teams for over committing in the box. That said, Laquon Treadwell now only desirable in dynasty format?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

If y'all were taking Treadwell in re-draft when Teddy was healthy fuckin lol

aellisr
Oct 11, 2007

Alveolar fibrosis don't give a damn.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If y'all were taking Treadwell in re-draft when Teddy was healthy fuckin lol

Rookie on the radar. Despite the fact he was buried on the depth chart, I figured if the season became a lost cause he would get some time on the field.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I inherited a very, very bad keeper team that I'm hoping to move up from last place despite not being very good at fantasy myself. Is this the sort of place where I could get advice on who to select for my keepers?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

aellisr posted:

Rookie on the radar. Despite the fact he was buried on the depth chart, I figured if the season became a lost cause he would get some time on the field.

I just think people are getting spoiled with the performance of rookie WRs recently. Norv Turner is a putz, Teddy has a noodle, and Treadwell was maybe the #2 option at best with drop issues and in a mediocre offense. There are a bunch of WRs near and after his ADP that are much more likely to actually produce. Unless you're in a really deep bench league where you're getting him as like your WR7, there was never really a reason to draft him outside of keeper/dynasty leagues.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 30, 2016

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Post em here with their associated keeper cost

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

sector_corrector posted:

I inherited a very, very bad keeper team that I'm hoping to move up from last place despite not being very good at fantasy myself. Is this the sort of place where I could get advice on who to select for my keepers?

If you post the rules here and your team, I am sure people will give you as good or better advice than deciphering some site that might not match your rules.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

jabro posted:

I think it doesn't change anything. Teddy was the 24th ranked QB last year, the lowest ranked QB that played in every game.

That's a fair point. Still can't believe he got picked #2 overall in a 12 team half-ppr league.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
On the bright side, this should really open up Kyle Rudolph as a safety valve target guyhahahahahaha I can't finish that with a straight face

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

THIS IS THE YEAR BENNE

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

MrSargent posted:

That's a fair point. Still can't believe he got picked #2 overall in a 12 team half-ppr league.

I had him go #4 in a full PPR league the other day and when i contacted the guy seeing if he'd consider trading him for anyone, he told me not even if i offered him Julio since AP was his all time favorite. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the other hand, he said he'd consider trading Mark Ingram for Rawls and Larry Fitzgerald, would you guys consider this trade? (Fitzgerald is my 4th WR and would only start on bye weeks). Or would it be crazy if i countered with Alshon for Ingram straight up?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Spoeank posted:

THIS IS THE YEAR BENNE

The chicken is lubed and ready

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spoeank posted:

Bah God that's Quinton Patton's music!

*runs 25 yards backwards*

What if I told you

He was already on one of my dynasty teams

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrSargent posted:

If you post the rules here and your team, I am sure people will give you as good or better advice than deciphering some site that might not match your rules.

Alrighty,

League details: 12 teams, 4 keepers a piece, each keeper takes up +1 the spot they were originally drafted, waiver wire keepers take up your bottom round selection, league is scored head-to-head
Roster positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

I'm inheriting a fairly bad team that ended up taking last place (so I'll be first pick) with this team (sorted by expected performance),

Cam Newton (Car - QB) (drafted in round 7)
John Brown (Ari - WR) (drafted in round 9)
Vincent Jackson (TB - WR) (drafted in round 4)
DeMarco Murray (Ten - RB) (drafted in round 1)
Mark Ingram (NO - RB) (drafted in round 2)
Greg Olsen (Car - TE) (drafted in round 5)
Terrance Williams (Dal - WR) (drafted in round 12)
Dwayne Harris (NYG - WR) (waiver wire)
Charles Clay (Buf - TE) (waiver wire)
Tre Mason (LA - RB) (drafted in round 8)
Philip Rivers (SD - QB) (drafted in round 11)
Ryan Mathews (Phi - RB) (drafted in round 6)
Andre Williams (NYG - RB) (drafted in round 10)
Rashad Jennings (NYG - RB) (waiver wire)
Sebastian Janikowski (Oak - K) (waiver wire)
Baltimore (Bal - DEF) (drafted in round 15)

The only players here that seem worth keeping are Cam (I think he's going to do well this year and is great value for a sixth round pick) and John Brown. I'm wondering if there might be something I'm missing, especially since I'll be playing against fairly stacked teams that are going to be snapping up a lot of high value players as keepers.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Alrighty,

League details: 12 teams, 4 keepers a piece, each keeper takes up +1 the spot they were originally drafted, waiver wire keepers take up your bottom round selection, league is scored head-to-head
Roster positions: QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T, K, DEF, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN

I'm inheriting a fairly bad team that ended up taking last place (so I'll be first pick) with this team (sorted by expected performance),

Cam Newton (Car - QB) (drafted in round 7)
John Brown (Ari - WR) (drafted in round 9)
Vincent Jackson (TB - WR) (drafted in round 4)
DeMarco Murray (Ten - RB) (drafted in round 1)
Mark Ingram (NO - RB) (drafted in round 2)
Greg Olsen (Car - TE) (drafted in round 5)
Terrance Williams (Dal - WR) (drafted in round 12)
Dwayne Harris (NYG - WR) (waiver wire)
Charles Clay (Buf - TE) (waiver wire)
Tre Mason (LA - RB) (drafted in round 8)
Philip Rivers (SD - QB) (drafted in round 11)
Ryan Mathews (Phi - RB) (drafted in round 6)
Andre Williams (NYG - RB) (drafted in round 10)
Rashad Jennings (NYG - RB) (waiver wire)
Sebastian Janikowski (Oak - K) (waiver wire)
Baltimore (Bal - DEF) (drafted in round 15)

The only players here that seem worth keeping are Cam (I think he's going to do well this year and is great value for a sixth round pick) and John Brown. I'm wondering if there might be something I'm missing, especially since I'll be playing against fairly stacked teams that are going to be snapping up a lot of high value players as keepers.

Honestly the only person i would even consider keeping is Cam Newton. John Brown at an 8th round price isn't worth it at all and might even be a net loss.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

I'd even consider keeping both Cam and Rivers if you're going for a proper rebuild then trade Cam for a big return if you're out of it at the deadline

ZIGfried
Nov 4, 2005

I can hardly contain myself!
Newton, Ingram, Mathews and Brown/Olsen. Well at leafy
Least get you a couple guys at value, on second thought first overall means you shouldn't keep Ingram seeing as you could just draft him if he's best available.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

VietCampo posted:

Honestly the only person i would even consider keeping is Cam Newton. John Brown at an 8th round price isn't worth it at all and might even be a net loss.

I don't agree with that really. With 4 rounds of keepers gone, Brown will be more like a 9th or 10th. Rashad Jennings for last round is an easy keep. Rivers for a 10th rounder is worth it probably too, even with Cam kept, I think. That's 4 reasonable keepers.

Edit: Yeah Mathews for a 5th is also quite good, given how many players are being kept. Jennings and Cam are must haves, then Mathews and one of Brown or Rivers would be my picks.

Don't keep Ingram: worst case, every other 1st-4th rounder is kept, and you get Zeke at 1.01, ya know?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 30, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rashad Jennings for a round 16 pick isn't unreasonable. He is nominally RB1 in New York and is therefore worth rostering, and his ADP is #76 overall so that's a bargain.

Cam is well worth keeping. Rivers in 10th is a cheap backup QB that you won't feel bad about dropping, and it'll be nice going into the draft with both your starter and backup locked up, plus a backup/flexible RB3 in place.

I don't mind the John Brown pick and I think Olsen tends to get overshadowed by Gronk but he's a very good TE to own, although 4th round is pushing it a bit for him.

Ingram as a 1st round keeper I don't like at all. If you already have Jennings cheap, you need that first round pick to help yourself to a 1st-roundable WR, and a bunch of those are going to be kept by other teams. I think Ingram is sharing the RB role this year as well, with both Spiller and Hightower on the roster, and it's a pass-first offense to boot. Let Ingram go and draft the best WR on the board with your first pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

RVProfootballer posted:

I don't agree with that really. With 4 rounds of keepers gone, Brown will be more like a 9th or 10th. Rashad Jennings for last round is an easy keep. Rivers for a 10th rounder is worth it probably too, even with Cam kept, I think. That's 4 reasonable keepers.

Edit: Yeah Mathews for a 5th is also quite good, given how many players are being kept. Jennings and Cam are must haves, then Mathews and one of Brown or Rivers would be my picks.

Don't keep Ingram: worst case, every other 1st-4th rounder is kept, and you get Zeke at 1.01, ya know?

Whoops, this is what i get for quickly skimming and thinking i read 2 keepers each.

Yea if it's 4, i'd defo go Cam, Olsen, and Brown.

Though with Rashad Jennings, if he was drafted last season but was dropped mid season and picked up off the waiver, does that reset his keeper value to waiver or does it still count towards his original draft spot? If he wasn't drafted last year then moot point, but i think something to check on?

• Locked thread