Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Update 36: Look What's Cooking

Alright, it's done. Now, eat up!
...Uh, er, you know... something is, uh, sticking out?
Don't worry. It's sticking out of the soup, but it's been cooked and is edible.

That's not the point.
Hrm, could it be... the presentation again?

Then it's A-OK!
Of course. I would never serve you anything that wasn't safe to eat.
Knight, Regina. I... don't think that's the problem here.
Hm? Then... is it the presentation?

Dialogue merges here.

It looks hard to eat at first, but it's been stewed long enough, so you can eat the bones, too.
Th-The bones, as well...!? We can eat... even the face? Th-That's... a bit cruel.
If it's easy to eat, I have no problem.
Ooh, using it whole really makes the soup good, too. Even though it's using meat, it's not that fatty. It sure is easy for this old man to eat.
...Old man, I can't believe you can drink that.
Hrmmm... It looks like this is another dish that'll require a warning on the menu.
The taste is exquisite, and it's full of nutrients, so I'd appreciate it if you order it again. I'll be waiting.

Ailments and binds are forced to wear off in 3 turns or less. Not that great of an effect since you want to cure those as soon as possible.

It is smells good indeed.

This is flan, Sir Flavio. It's sweet and delicious.
Huh? But there's meat in it, and it's hot.
But looking at the ingredients and the cooking process... it has to be flan!

This can't be flan.
Y-Yeah, right? Flan is cold, sweet, and served with fruits, huh!
Now that you mention it...
But this is Sir Apicius's recipe. It would not be surprising if he made a meat flan!
Meat flan... Sounds so good...
But if it wants to be called that, it needs to be more meaty. As such, Chloe does not recognize this as a meat flan.
...No one's asking for your permission.
Besides, I'm sorry to say that this is not a meat flan, but an eastern dish known as a chawanmushi.

Yeah, this is flan!
Yes, that's right!
Er, no. The flan I know is cold and served with cream and fruits, not meat!
This is steamed, so of course it would be warm. But still, to think meat could become dessert... Sir Apicius is amazing!
Meat dessert. That sounds like a wonderful thing.
Yeah, only for you. I'm getting heartburn just thinking about it...
Uhhh... Sorry to butt in, but that's an eastern dish known as a chawanmushi.

Dialogue merges here.

Huh? Is that so!? But it's sweet, right?
Not at all. I haven't used a pinch of sugar.
I cannot believe it...!
Er, I find a dessert using meat to be something more unbelievable.
This is... tasty, but a little disappointing. The road to meat desserts is a steep one.
Hmm, a dessert using meats, huh. I don't recall if Apicius had a recipe like that...
At any rate, I'll put this on the menu. It's no meat dessert, though… But order it again anyway.

Created Grimoires have a number from 0 to 5 added to their level. Not that great for Grimoire grinding, and if you have the DLC Grimoire tea, this effect is completely redundant!

...It melts in your mouth. It tastes like meat, even though it's not meat...
These jellies of meat juices are great, huh? I'm always happy to see them formed in a pot I left around.
This is the taste of happiness. ...I want to take a bath in this.

That's a great idea.
Right? To become one with food... That HAS to be happiness.
Go ahead. Just don't cause anyone else any trouble. I'm sure that Hanna'll knock you to the next Stratum.
Hrm. So there was the problem of location.
Well, if the bath is out of the question... How about Dame Regina's giant kettle?
There's no chance I'd lend it to you.
You may not be able to take a bath in it, but you can still eat it. I'll add it to the menu.

You probably shouldn't.
Huh, why?
...Chloe's amazing. She really doesn't get why.
Why'd she turn into such a meat freak...
But I think the feeling of liking something is a valuable thing!
I believe there's a limit to that though.
You may not be able to take a bath in it, but you can still eat it. I'll add it to the menu.

This food quadruples the effects of items that can inflict ailments and binds. They normally have a 40% infliction rate, so this food boosts that up to a 160% infliction rate, making them much better.

That's all the food I can cook for now since I'm still missing quite a few ingredients. So it's time to climb up the Heavenly Keep some more.

Each has a numbered tag on it, indicating that they are being cared for by someone.

Hm...? Hey. These saplings have weird fruits growing on them.

When you look for yourself, you see a large, rainbow-colored fruit on the tree. Its skin, rather than remaining one constant color, shifts fluidly between many different hues.

It's very beautiful... but is it truly a fruit?
Hmm. It doesn't feel too different from a normal fruit.

You wonder if you ought to try eating the strangely colored fruit...

Seems safe to eat.

Reasoning that the fruit's appearance has little bearing on its taste, you pick one of the fruits.

How light it feels. Might there be nothing inside...?
Hmm. It doesn't feel hollow, though.

Though you wonder at this fruit which looks and feels strange, you bite into it nevertheless.

...Oh?
This is...

When your teeth break the skin, they are met with a soft, cottony texture. And with each chew of its soft pulp, juice bursts from within, almost overflowing from your mouth! The fruit's juice is the perfect balance of sweet and sour, making you even hungrier for more...!

I-It's delicious!
This is a surprise...!

Your eyes water at the exquisiteness of the flavor, and you devour the rainbow-colored fruit before thinking twice!

Isn't there more? I want more...

Having taken a liking to the fruit's flavor, Chloe looks around, but there is no more to be had. However, you do notice unripened fruits growing on the other saplings...

If I'm judging right, these should be ripe by tomorrow.
Tomorrow... It needs to hurry up...
Ahahah... It seems we have something else to look forward to on our travels.

You return to exploring with excitement in your hearts at the prospect of coming across the rainbow fruits again.

It seems to have been neglected for years, but it somehow manages to catch your interest.

Could this be like what we found previously...?

If it functions the same as before, then it will only summon a voice, and should be harmless to push. You press the button and the same voice rings out...

Succeeded... machine... body... But why...? ...leave... earth... You... leave... behind... Your... research... gene will... people... forever... ...Ark plan... failed... No, I... continue... even alone...

The voice abruptly ends there and does not respond to any queries.

The things that voice was talking about... I feel like I've heard about them somewhere before. How someone left someone else and went down to the earth...
You mean the story of the parting of the founding Lady of High Lagaard and the King of Solitude.
...Think that's the King of Solitude's voice?
But how could that be...? The founding of High Lagaard was long, long ago.
I dunno... if someone told me that was right, I'd believe it.
I mean, that voice... It sounded so lonely.

Flavio is correct in noting that although the voice sounded indifferent, it carried a hint of deep sorrow within it. Whose voice could it be...? You cock your heads in wonder at the phenomenon as you return to exploring the castle.

It's funny-looking.
Could it be another of the monsters that lurks in this castle?
Probably. We should be careful and--

As its body begins to spin, you sense something restless in the air...!

Was that spinning thing calling its friends?
Looks like it. If we charge right into those things, they'll probably surround us and beat us to a pulp.
Then should we search for another, safer route?

Let's force our way through.

You state confidently your preference to do battle with the monsters and force your way through.

I-Isn't that a bit reckless for plan A?
I'll do it if you think we can win. But are you sure?
It's your business if you want to fight, but if you think we're in trouble, make sure you run, okay? I don't want to see any of us getting hurt here.
Well then, as we were.

Now that your course is set, you decide to experiment with heading directly for the monsters.

And here's another vending machine.

Now that we have the ingredient for it, let's try the muddy miso soup again.

The image shown on the device looks to be something like soft dirt... Perhaps the Soft Floor you carry is called for... If you wish, you may insert the Soft Floor in the hole.

You produce the Soft Floor and drop it into the hole in the box. The box begins its low growling noise, which it emitted before the soup came out from the slot...

Oooh... The person inside is working hard.

After a short wait, lightly shredded chunks of the Soft Floor are gently dropped into the bowl of soup. The Soft Floor soaks up the soup and melts into a mush...

:gonk: I don't know about you, but that sounds really unappetizing.

Wait... this is it? Really?
We already decided we're gonna eat this. It's too late now to complain.
Besides, the broth seemed fine. I doubt it'll get ruined that easily.

Bertrand, who has the least discriminating palate of the group, takes an experimental sip of the soup.

...Huh. This is an interesting flavor.
What precisely do you mean by that? Is it... good...?
Hmm... It's hard to describe. Just taste it for yourself. It isn't poisonous or anything.
Even if it's not poisonous, I don't want any if it's icky...

You hesitantly take a sip of the murky, gray soup... A distinct, yet soft and gentle taste washes over your tongue! On its own, the soup could have been bland, but the Soft Floor adds the perfect dash of saltiness to it. You drink sip after sip, and its texture as it gently melts in your mouth calms your mental fatigue...

Having enjoyed the soup, you return to exploring with a calmed mind.

And that's it for floor 24.

Last floor of the main game. Let's see what the townsfolk have to say as we near the end of our journey.

...So it is true! Congratulations! Once you finish exploring that floor, it'll all be over! Oh... um, it just occurred to me... What are you planning to do after you finish the exploration? You're not... going to leave, are you? N-Nevermind! F-Forget I asked, please!!! I-I won't pry into your business, so... Could you still continue to come and shop here...? Please?

Here's a new bar patron in Story.

Oh, you're the girl from before, right? Did you come to find your daddy again?
No. This time, I'm... I'm by myself. A-And starting tomorrow, I'll… I'll be all alone for good...
Huh!? Wh-What's wrong, what happened? I-Is your mommy sick!?
No, that's not it. I... got in a fight with mommy. The other day, I was scared about getting scolded... so I told a lie to get out of trouble. But it's different this time! I-I didn't lie this time... but she doesn't believe me. 'Luca's a liar,' she said.
...I see. That... must be pretty hard for you...
...It's okay, right, Mister? You won't get mad at me for being a liar?
Well, you know it's not good to lie, right? But I can see you're regretting it.
...And if a stranger like me can see it, I think your mom will too. You should go talk to her.
Talk to her, again...? Um... okay, I-I'll try...!
There you go, that's a good girl!
...Sir Flavio seems to have quite a way with children.
She was in tears before, but now she's smiling as happily as can be!
S'pose you end up dealing with all ages of people at the Midgard Library. That's my best guess, anyway.
But he's really got a knack for it... How the hell does he do that? Honestly, this old man couldn't even try that.
Nope. Trand definitely can't.
...I know it's true, but it's still kinda weird to hear someone else just lay it down like that.

...Ha. The day you first arrived in this city... seems so long ago, now. Now that I think of it, when I first saw you, you just looked like a bunch of helpless kids...

I guess we were.
Ha, I didn't expect you to be that self-aware. I suppose it was your journey through the Labyrinth that helped you mature.

That's kind of rude.
Ha, you're right. I shouldn't be talking that way to the heroes of the city, I suppose.

Dialogue merges here.

Truly... I'm proud of you all. There is nothing left for me to teach you. You've all grown... strong. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

I try not to worry, but the fate of High Lagaard... perhaps even the fate of the world depends on you. Lady Gradriel seems to be losing sleep over her concerns. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for you... ...Hrm. I may have said too much. All you need to do is look ahead in your path, and keep moving forward. The exploration of the Labyrinth is something only you can do. You can leave the lesser affairs to me. I expect great things from you, Guild Guild.

Now let's check out the final inn scene in the game.

As you sit there, you hear a knock at your door. Who could it be at this hour...?

Chloe is the only one who we haven't seen the bonus scene for.

Why is someone in my room...?

This isn't your room.
Nope. This is definitely my room.
And to prove it... huh?
Oh, I was wrong. Sorry. I must be tired. That's not good. I'll go back to my room now. 'Night.

And that's all of them. Now that I have more ingredients, let's do some more cooking.

Oh, there are so many little steaks. They're quite cute. I don't know which one to start with.
Hm, each one really does have a different flavor. I used to think meat was meat, but they all taste unique.
Even Inelaborate Flavio gets it. This dish is incredible.
I-Inelaborate... Sure, I don't mind being called that by everyone... except you.
But, you say things like, “This beef is good," while eating chicken. I can't believe it.
The sauce was the same! No one thinks about different types of meats when eating, right?

I never thought of it.
Yeah, see!? Knight doesn't do it, either!
You both don't have enough love for meat.
*giggle* But you two can tell the difference now. This dish is amazing, isn't it?

You can tell.
Huh!? Y-You can tell...?
They all have their characteristics. In the first place, isn't the shape of beef and poultry different?
You really don't think at all when eating, huh...?
Huh? I-I'M the odd one...!?
*giggle* But even Sir Flavio can tell the difference now. This dish is amazing, isn't it?

Dialogue merges here.

I changed the spices used to bring out the characteristics of each meat.
...If you couldn't tell the difference with this, I think Apicius would be in shock.
Good thing you were able to tell, eh, Flavio?
...Am I THAT bad?
I'll add this to menu, so you can try enjoying it in other ways, like changing the sauces or eating blindfolded.

The party recovers 3% of their max HP and 1% of their max TP at the end of the turn with this food. Terrible effect. I rate this dish 1 star out of 6.

I ended up cooking enough food to unlock the next scene in Regina's subplot.

Was that you sighing, Regina? ...Did a customer say something to you again?
Huh? O-Oh, uh... Sorry. Looks like I relax a little too much when you're all around.
...It's not a customer this time. I was actually summoned by Grandpa.
Huh, Grandpa...? You mean the Minister!? He wasn't mad at you, was he!?
...I thought the cafe was doing great. Did something happen!?
No, he wasn't upset about anything. It was...
Well, my relatives getting rather restless. They're telling him to put a stop to my 'flights of fancy', and get me married...

Rude.
Indeed! The cafe is no mere flight of fancy! Can they not see how much effort Dame Regina has put into this!?

You're getting married!?
I wasn't really planning on it... but my relatives aren't too concerned about my opinion in the matter.
How could they! Without even considering your opinion!? That is simply wicked!

Dialogue merges here.

Relax, kid. It's the relatives that are getting all bent out of shape here. It's not like the Minister is too keen on the idea, right?
That's true. Grandpa has always been on my side, but it seems he's at his limits with them. Because of that, Grandpa has given me... one chance to show them my skills. He's setting up a dinner for all the relatives, and is putting me in charge of cooking for them.
Regina's relatives... They must all be really important.
Pretty much. They're all upper-class, and every one's used to lavish, expensive meals.
...I was just thinking about what I should make for them...

Just do what you always do.
The usual thing...? You mean, the food I cook for the customers here?
I agree with Sir Knight. The way you cook for your customers here is truly wonderful.
Mhm. Your cooking always tastes good, Regina. I think you'll be fine.
Yeah. If you try anything too crazy and new, you might slip up.
Plus... they're your family. If you want them to see the real you, this might be the best opportunity you could get.
See the real me...?

Have confidence in yourself.
Confidence... You're right. I've cooked countless recipes here with you all, and I've been running this cafe this whole time. ...I'm not the person I used to be.

Dialogue merges here.

Hah... alright. I think I'm ready now.
...I'm not doing this to rebel against my family. I cook because I want my customers to enjoy their food, and be happy. That's what's most important to me.
Well, time to start thinking of what to cook! Things are going to get busy!

This triggers new town dialogue for Cafe, but it's the same as it was in Classic.

Ooh... This is like a meat cake. It's so beautiful...
You break the yolk on top and mix it together. Like this...

Sounds of squishing.

Ahhh!?
Wh-What is it!? What's wrong!?

Don't worry about her. Keep going.
A-Are you sure? She sounded incredibly dejected...

*sigh*
I-I'm asking what the problem is! What did I do!?

Dialogue merges here.

Oh, don't worry about her. She's probably in shock seeing the meat being crushed.
You never think about how you eat normally, but you're so loud when it comes to meat.
But... it was so beautiful that I wanted to gaze at it more. The meat cake...
S-Sorry... I didn't mean to disappoint you. But, this dish is all about freshness, so you have to mix the egg and eat quickly, or else it'd lose its flavor.
You should have told me that earlier. Hurry and mix it, Regina.
*giggle* Dame Chloe is truly serious when it comes to meat!
No, she's just being selfish.
...Whatever. I'll add this to the menu, so eat it however you choose.

A 10 point increase to STR is a fantastic effect. It's has a pretty massive effect on physical damage. I don't consider this to be the best stat increase food, but there are a lot of classes that benefit from this, so having this as your food of choice is generally a good idea.

Ooh...!? I was wondering what was going to come out when we were told to bring soft floor. It's actually pretty normal.
Heck, it looks really good!
Yeah, I also was wondering how it would look after reading the recipe. ...The biggest thing to learn from Apicius's recipes is probably his flexible approach.
It's not easy to take things that don't look like ingredients at first and try finding ways to use them.

That's the spirit.
Ha, I don't know if I can reach the same heights as Apicius, but I will continue to strive.
That's incredible, Dame Regina! I'll be cheering for you.
I'm happy to have more food to eat.

You probably shouldn't...
Hm? Don't make that face. I'm not thinking of starting off with something as extreme as cooking walls.
Walls... Would that be sauteed? Perhaps a butter flavor would make it--
Inedible! You're putting too much faith in butter! Even butter would question the strength of butter in this regard!

Dialogue merges here.

Well, first, I'll see if I can use this galette in other recipes. Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like it. I'll be waiting.

Well a 10 point increase to TEC is pretty handy. It helps out Fafnir, War Magi, Medics, Sovereigns, and Alchemists. It's also a nice increase to defense against TEC-based attacks. But if you're using a Compression Alchemist as your primary damage dealer, you're probably better off using the food that doubles attack item damage instead.

Ooh, this is impressive. I'm pretty sure the enemy had no idea he'd turn out like this.
Born as a monster, he fought us and ended up as a kettle...
Quite a strange fate it is!

Life is full of surprises.
It certainly is. Us meeting and sitting around a kettle was something I never imagined, either.
Perhaps one day we, too, will become a kettle like this.
Er, that's way too surprising! Besides, if we become kettles, that'd be terrible!

I would like to live that way.
As would I. Even if the day comes when I fall, I would like to be someone that keeps on helping...
...I would like to live like that!
I... would not like to become a kettle.

Dialogue merges here.

I want to become a frying pan. Then I could cook lots of meat.
Well, I'm glad you've decided your future career.
Mm-hm.
C-Career...? How's that a career...?
You can chit-chat, but don't stop eating. I'll give the first to finish plenty of burnt rice.
Wh-What did you say...!?
Done! Chloe, number one!
Th-That was amazingly fast!
Haha, good girl. I'll give you your reward, then. Alright, I'll add this to the menu, so order it again whenever you feel like eating burnt rice.

Okay with that really strange restaurant skit out of the way, here's the effect. Grimoires that get created have an 80% chance of having 7 levels added to their level. Or have an 80% chance of being forced to be at level 7 or above. I'm not too sure on how it actually works. I guess this could be good if you're trying to grind out Grimoires. If you have the DLC teas, this effect is redundant.

...You eat this raw? But this meat is so thin... It'll suck.
And what's this pot for? It's a strange shape... and nothing's being stewed.
*chuckle* I'll show you how it works, so keep a close eye on me. Take a slice of meat, swish it in the boiling water, and then...
Wow... The color changed!
Ooh... The shape changed, too! And is the fat melting off?
...Interesting. I want to try. Me next!

Go ahead, Chloe.
Yep! I'll do it a bunch!
Good for you, Chloe.
...Hey, wait. Only do your portion, got it!?
No problem. I'll eat all of it.

Oh no, I'm next.
No, I'm next. I have the meat jurisdiction.
...The hell is meat jurisdiction?

Dialogue merges here.

Hey there, I want to give it a try, too...
Um, me too...
There's no limit on people. Go ahead. A dish that entertainscustomers... It seems exactly as the notes on the recipe said. I'll add this to the menu, so order it if you feel like enjoying this again. I'll be sure to give you extra.

Self-explanatory. It's pretty situational food, but there are a few enemies that get far more deadly when given a massive speed boost and 10% more damage with each passing turn. (Such as Mandrakes, especially if they blindside you.) Though in most cases, I prefer to eat something else.

Hrmmm... even I'm hesitant to eat dirt...
This is the soft floor that we brought, yes? ...Does cooking it make it edible?

Let me try.

...It is quite hard when you cut it and does not feel like it can be eaten. ...... This is most definitely dirt!

Arianna, open wide.
Huh? O-Oh, me?
O-Okay...
How is it, Arianna?
It... It's very grainy...

Dialogue merges here.

Hrmmm... I didn't think you'd actually eat it...
Huh? You mean... it's not supposed to be eaten!?
There weren't any notes on the recipe, so it's probably not harmful...
But Knight, Arianna. That's just the casing to cook the meat in.
......!
I-I see...
No, I apologize for not telling you earlier. I didn't think you'd really eat it...

I want a more sincere apology.
I-I'm really sorry...

We ate it...
Yes... We ate it...
...I'm, well, um... really sorry.

Dialogue merges here.

How do you really eat it?
O-Oh, you break open the clay with a wooden hammer. See? The meat comes out.
Ooh... It's piping hot!
You can really smell the herbs. Are they soaked into the entire thing?
Regina, cut it. Give me a bunch of the leg meat.

The next part depends on who ate the clay.

Er, I think the best part... should go to Knight.
I mean, he needs to refresh his palette, don't you think?
...You're right. I guess it can't be helped. I'll let Knight have it this time.
Do you want some of mine, too?

No, I'll give the best part to Arianna. ...I hope it'll help cleanse your palette.
Thank you so much...
...I should've ate some, too.
You're willing to eat dirt for the sake of meat?

Dialogue merges here.

I'll add this to the menu, so go ahead and order it again.
...And remember not to eat the clay.

Increases the party's resistance to fear by 80%. Handy.

And here's the last food in the 5th Stra-what the hell is that?

How'd it end up like this?
...I wonder the same thing.

...Is this food?
All the ingredients are edible.

Dialogue merges here.

I checked the recipe over and over. I didn't do a single thing wrong. But when it got to the hardening stage, the dish just started to creep out of the mold...

The next part depends on if you've cooked the Apple Blue Aiyu Jelly before. If you have:

Aaand it became this... Didn't something like this happen before?
But that blue jelly was good, so this should be good, too.

If you haven't:

Aaand it became this... Well, that's amusing.
But Regina made it. It should be good, too.

Dialogue merges here.

Regina? Why aren't you saying anything?
...Er, well...

Did you taste it?
I really regret to say... but I haven't since it's become this shape.

Is it no good?
...I don't know.
Huh? Do you mean... you have yet to taste it?
It is a big taboo as a cook to not do so, but since it has taken this shape... I...

Dialogue merges here.

Well, I... can't blame you.
Heck, knowing how you made it, it's probably even harder for you try, being freaked out...
...No, but as the cook, it is my responsibility.
I'll taste it now!

Good luck, Regina.
Yeah, I'll fulfill my duties.

Don't.
No, don't stop me! It's unforgivable for me to serve you food I haven't tasted.

Those two dialogue options merge here.

Now then...! ......
H-How is it?
Urgh...!

Sounds of falling, then a thud.

Dame Regina!? O-Oh, no! Please, hang in there!
I-I apologize. It was a completely unexpected taste. Or rather, it's not a bad taste, but... This doesn't make any sense. I didn't add anything that would make it taste this way... No wait, before that, the flavor is way too different from before it hardened… What happened when it cooled...?
Th-That's scary...
What IS this dish, Apicius...?

Here's the 3rd choice, which is kind of its own separate branch.

I'll taste it.
Knight... I accept your resolution.
...Then let us both taste it. Now then...!

...Within the slimy gelatin is a crunchy texture as well as a springy texture you cannot bite through... ...In regards to the flavor, you have no capacity to describe it. It is like you ate a tender steak... or perhaps a burnt shrimp... You cannot even tell if it tastes good or bad. It is simply... incomprehensible!

I don't know.
Y-You ate it, yet... you don't know?
...Unfortunately, I don't know either. It's not a bad taste, but... What IS this dish, Apicius...?

It's harmless, at least.
At least!?
...That's about the only thing I can say about it, too. There is nothing wrong with my body... but... What IS this dish, Apicius...?

All dialogue options merge here.

...This rather interests me.
H-Hrmmm...
Apicius is amazing. ...Let's try it, too.
R-Right...!
Y-Yes. Please do. The taste isn't bad, but... Huh...
Still, how did it come to this...?

The party recovers 2% of their max TP for every 10 steps they take. Utter trash.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Is soup with actual mud in it... a thing? Anywhere? Or did they just figure they needed to really get their mileage out of the soft floor after making it an ingredient?

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I think its supposed to be another pun? Black been soup is occasionally called Mud Soup due to its coloration and occasionally thicker consistency.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 37: Overlord

I'll be covering this quest first. Not because it has any content exclusive to Story, but because Ragnar Homsar lost the footage involving this quest. So if you have a Beast, you can get the first part of the quest done. If not, there's an alternate solution.

Ye-es, can I help you? Hey, hey! Sit! I said sit...! Sorry. He's a naughty boy, isn't he? Ah, I thought I saw you somewhere before! You're Guild! Oh wow! You're really at this bar! Hey, hey, so, what's the castle in the sky really like? Is there really a god up there? ...Uh, sorry, that was a bit too much. I hear you're looking for an animal? If you want, I can lend you my little scamp here. But! I'll only do it if you can help me out first. So, what will it be?

Of course I will!
Alright! Hee hee... I can't believe the famous Guild is listening to my request! ...I'm so lucky! So, what I want from you... I heard a rumor that the meat of a black horse monster in the flying castle is super tasty! I think it was called a... Nightmare. Only if you can defeat it, but I want you to bring me some meat from its neck... ...Is that a little too much? But I really, really need that meat. I know it might be a little hard... but please!

For the record, she's not asking for an ingredient. Once you've taken on her request, Nightmares will drop something after you fight them. I proceed to kill one.

Indeed, she asked that you bring back some neck meat for her from this very monster. As you try to cut it, however, you see that rigor mortis has stiffened the flesh around its neck, making it hard to slice through. You refuse to give up, redoubling your efforts, and in the end, you manage to acquire a sizable cut of meat.

You're not sure how much Mercian would enjoy meat this tough, but you can trade this for an animal that can track scents...

Now let's report back.

Heeeey, Guild! How's it going...? You remember my request? You didn't get it already, did you?

I got it.
Huh, really!? W-Wow, this is a lot more than I expected... Heehee, thanks a lot! What did I need this lean meat for? Oh... um, I don't want you to get mad or anything... But I wanted to give it to my pet. Horse meat is really nutritious, and if it's yummy on top of that, then it's the perfect treat for him. The kind of meat you can usually get here is really fatty. And you can't just give that to animals when you feel like it! There isn't as much of a demand for this kind of tougher meat, so nobody usually brings it back... I had given up on it, and then you came along, Guild... so I decided to be a little selfish. That's what I needed it for, anyway. But more importantly... Bobby! Come here, Bobby! Awww, who's a good boy? You're a good boy! Oh, his name's Bobby. What do you think? Isn't he just adorable? He might be small, but you can trust his nose, and he's the bravest dog I know, so he won't get scared in the forest. Give him back to Cass when you're ready, okay? Thanks for your help, everyone. Go do your thing now. Good luck with work! And take good care of Bobby!

The puppy pokes out of your backpack curiously. You have it sniff the scarf received from Cass, and wait patiently. The puppy is apparently well-trained—it shows no sign of surprise, but sniffs deeply and peers around the area. After a moment, as if it has reached a conclusion, the puppy yips and faces directly east. The puppy must have found the Guildmaster's scent. Her lost possession must be somewhere on this floor! You can search for the item she dropped, or you can ignore the clue for now and proceed with your exploration.

This is the room you need to go to.

You deduce that the Guildmaster's lost item must be in this room. You decide to move further into the room, ready to begin your search in earnest.

If there is a Luminous Bird here, you won't be able to search this nest. You'll have to kill it or lure it away.

Soon enough, the puppy reappears with a fist-sized brooch in its mouth. It seems split into two parts: a face and a back. By clipping them together, you could hold together a mantle or some garment. This must be the brooch that the Guildmaster lost!

All that remains is to bring this to the Guildmaster when convenient.

Wh--That's...! Where did you find this? More importantly, why? Hah! I see. That bartender... I wonder what's gotten into him. I filed no request, yet he sent you on a search for one of my possessions. I must thank him. Long ago, I was a soldier in a country to the west... Though you'll find it's no longer on any map. I was second-in-command of the military there... the vice-commander. My father was the commander. I rose through the ranks, hoping to please him... But I was still young... and when he needed me, I could not help him. This is... an heirloom, from my adoptive father. I was a child from an enemy nation, but he took me in and showed me kindness. Guild Guild, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. And tell that lout Cass that before long, I'll come to his bar to raise a glass in celebration. Hah... It's strange. Watching you in action makes me believe in people once more. May we meet again soon.

Hey, yeh're back! How'd it go? Yeh find the brooch? Aw, this little mutt found it? Good dog. Gooood boy. Here, I can probably rustle up a little reward for yeh too. Haw! Some appetite! Lookit him go...! Wait, whassat? She's... comin' for a drink to celebrate? Th-That's... unexpected. I thought for sure I'd get some long rant about mindin' my own business! Oh, right... there was no official request. Haw haw! Yeh heard me! Yeh think she'd ever come into a place like this on her own? Haw haw haw! Nah, this one was my request. Yeh lot don't have a problem with that, do yeh? Don't worry, there's still a reward in it for yeh. Everyone's happy, see? I'm always counting on yeh! Come back anytime!

And that's all for playing cleanup. Back to your regularly scheduled Story mode content.

Here's the last vending machine in this Stratum.

Let's try the srimuang tom yum goong.

When you press the protrusion and the box makes its deep rumbling noise, a paper container of warm soup emerges. Just as before, the picture changes to display the name of an ingredient, and a slot to insert said ingredient opens up. The image shown on the device looks to be a strange, purple, gelatinous substance... Unfortunately, you are carrying no such ingredient. Without ingredients, the soup is a tad simple, but you decide to enjoy the warm, aromatic soup nonetheless.

Aah...!
You okay there, Arianna?
I-I'm all right. Thish ish sho spicy, but it's sho good...
Uhh, swallow before you talk, okay?

Though the soup lacks ingredients, its distinct, spicy-sour flavor causes power to well within you!

You finish drinking the soup and return to exploring with lightened hearts.

But what if we did have that ingredient?

The image shown on the device looks to be a strange, purple, gelatinous substance... Perhaps the Purple Gel you carry is called for... If you wish, you may insert the Purple Gel in the hole.

You produce the Purple Gel and drop it into the hole in the box. The box begins its low growling noise, which it emitted before the soup came out from the slot...

Oooh... The person inside is working hard.

After a short wait, precisely sized cubes of the gelatin are gently dropped into the soup. The gelatinous substance slowly melts in the warm broth, changing its color to a vibrant purple!

:catstare: Uhh...

What a delightful color it's turned!
D-Delightful!? Did I hear that right? Are you sure you didn't mean ominous!?
I think that purple is a lovely color. Do you dislike it, Sir Flavio?
W-Well... It's not that I don't like it. I'm just not sure about seeing it in the food I eat...
And this isn't just about the color. Isn't it kind of gross how slimy and slick it is...?

It does look eerie at first blush, but you've noticed something more important... Ever since the gelatinous cubes were dropped in, the aroma wafting from the soup has only intensified! Your instinct tells you that this soup will be delicious! And in deference to that instinct, you take a sip of the soup. You bite into the gelationous substance and taste the sour flavor of lemons and the spiciness of chili peppers all at once. This senses-defying taste cannot be explained by logic... It is heavenly on your tongue! You devour the soup without wasting any time commenting to each other on it!

Having enjoyed the delicious soup, you return to exploring with renewed vigor.

One portion of it has countless fine holes embedded near a faintly glowing plate.

What's this?

The shining plate features an unfamiliar script, beneath which are two circular patterns: one red, one blue. Between the two circles is the slowly blinking emblem of what appears to be a hand.

Uhh... I guess we're supposed to put our hand here?

You may try touching a circle, or touch neither of them and leave instead.

Once a day, this machine will heavily increase the encounter rate or eliminate them for a short while, depending on the color you choose. The colors are a hint to their effects, because they match the colors on the encounter radar for when you aren't getting into a battle for a long while, or about get into one. I decide to touch the blue one.

You touch the blue circle on the right, and hear a strange noise as a mist sprays out at you from the wall!

Urp...

You back away in surprise at the wall's sudden action, but you feel no pain when the mist contacts your skin.

It doesn't seem toxic... Smells kind of like lemons.
It would be a pleasant scent if weren't so strong, but this is... a bit much...

As you reel at the powerfully pungent Bertrand seems to notice something and looks around skeptically.

Hey, does it seem to anyone else like we're not in as serious danger?
You know, I don't really hear the monsters around either. Could the smell have driven them off?

It seems that the mist has the welcome effect of drive monsters away from you... When you glance back at the wall where the mist originated, you notice that the panel's illumination has grown dim. You suspect it will require time before it can be used again... You leisurely return to exploring the castle halls, filled now with fewer monsters than before.

What might this be? They look like pictures, but they're structured like writing... If this is script, then it's a rather curious one. Why do I feel as though I've seen these before...?
They're a little like what's used at the castle, but different. I don't think I can read these.
Well, this floating castle was built by the ancestors of High Lagaard. There might be some relation to the modern High Lagaard script.
How about it, Team Midgard? Does this look familiar to either of you?
Dead languages aren't my field. Even the ones who specialize in it don't see many breakthroughs. One of the senior staff had a knack for this kind of thing... he was all self-taught, too.

You think back to your teachings at the Midgard Library, but you cannot recall anything that applies here. Still, if this is indeed a language, then it must follow some pattern. If you can grasp that pattern, you may be able to decipher the writing...

Might as well investigate.

Yeah... It might be important to know, so let's look into this.

You begin checking to see if this script has anything in common with your own, such as letterform frequency and distribution.

This puts me in mind of the cipher-solving scenes in detective stories!
Oh, yeah, I've seen those. 'Detective Austin's Case Files,' right? I didn't know you read pulp novels.

Another EOU reference.

Oh, yes, I read all sorts of books. Though it's been hard to find the time for reading lately...

Though deciphering the script utterly absorbs you for a while, the sound of heavy breathing jars you back to reality.

Huh? It's not me. You're the one who needs to... stop...

Flavio trails off there and looks towards you. If Flavio is the closest one at hand, then... who does the heavy breathing belong to? You slowly look behind you and lock gazes with monsters whose murderous intent is plain to see!

We were concentrating so hard that we didn't notice them surrounding us.
H-Here they come!

The monsters let loose a furious roar as they charge at you! You curse yourself for letting your guard down in this castle, but for now you must draw your weapons and fight!

Oh you have got to be kidding me!

What you saw there was pretty much a guaranteed game over. No party can survive a blindside against that encounter! (Unless you're not playing on Expert or are really overleveled.) It's probably the biggest (and only) dick move Atlus has pulled in this entire game. :atlus:

Good thing I came prepared! What you saw happen was the Survivalist's Risk Perception passive taking effect. What it does is it gives the user a chance to nullify a blindside if one happens. It even stacks with other instances of the skill (Not necessary if you're using a level 20 version.) It even works on scripted blindsides as well! Man that really would have been a handy ability to have for the original game.

I'm not dealing with this normally! So long!

You managed to fend off the horde of monsters... but one of them stumbles back to its feet!

Does it still mean to fight us, even now...!?
Stay on guard, everyone! Looks like we're not quite done yet.

But the monster that righted itself does not attack; rather, it stands on its front legs and lets loose a loud howl.

......!

Its cry is impossibly loud--you can feel the force of the sound from here! But after the monster's howl is done, it collapses back to the floor and does not move again.

What was it trying to do...?
...I'm getting a real bad feeling about this. That was an awfully loud noise.

What're you talking about?
I think you'll see soon enough.

Even as you speak to Bertrand, you hear the loud clashing of what sounds to be multiple monsters not far off...!

It was a cry of alarm to its comrades...!
Ugh, it just had to go and bring down more trouble on us... Days like this, I wish I'd stayed in bed!

The newly arrived horde of monsters gets you in their sights and glares at you with naked hostility! You are forced to take up weapons once more and strike down the marauders!

Thankfully this encounter isn't a blindside, but chances are that you took quite a beating from the 4 Nightmares if you somehow survived it. Yeah, the odds are stacked against you if you had no idea what this event entailed. Anyways, I beat down these things easily.

You turn back to the wall alongside Flavio, but...

The writing's wiped out.

Indeed, the hieroglyphs engraved in the wall were damaged during the heated battle and are no longer distinguishable!

This is most unfortunate... Why, it could have been a message informing the reader of an important clue.
...I think you've read one too many detective stories, kid.

You feel a crushing weight of futility at the sight, and pick up a few remnants of the wall before going on your way.

I guess that's a good prize? I dunno. To take our minds off of that failure, here's the last audio only conversation that plays in this Stratum:

Uh, i-if we fell from here...
Oh, come on kid. Try not to think about that.
Hmm. From this height, it would take quite some time for us to reach the ground.
Ah!
It's okay. You'd get stuck on a branch along the way.
How is that okay?

It's so quiet... ...Is the Overlord beyond here?

The voice that has spoken to you all this time... Could the Overlord be ready past this point with a final trial for you? The party seems uneasy at what might await you... Open this door only when you are fully prepared for the consequences!

If Overlord has anything else planned for our party, we're ready for it.

Enshrined in the hall's center is a strangely shaped object..

A giant upside down egg?

I have no earthly idea. Have any of you ever seen anything like it...?

As you look up at the egg-shaped object, the mysterious voice chimes in once again...

To your surprise, the Overlord's voice speaks not in your mind, but from the object your guild is gazing at! Questions for the voice rush into your mind, and you choose one to ask first...

Are you hiding somewhere?
I am not. What you see before you now is indeed myself... the Overlord.

There is no denying that the voice stems from the object before you. This unearthly object in the center of the hall is truly the Overlord, it would seem... As you digest this odd revelation, the master of the castle addresses you again.

Allow me to welcome you once more to the King's Hall, the highest reaches of my skyship. It was created for us to escape to the heavens from the earth of old.
Please, Overlord, we come bearing a message for you. The Lady who founded High Lagaard left these words with us. 'When the Fafnir Knight and the Ruler of Heaven meet, the Calamity's time is at its end.'
And now, Sir Knight has met you, the Overlord.
Please... Lend us your considerable strength to avert the crisis that the entire earth faces even now!
Saving the world... That is my goal as well. It is why I continued my research here; why I honed the power of the Grail of Kings.
Ah! Then shall we have your cooperation in vanquishing the Calamity!?
The combination of her research and mine will be one of unnatural might... A man who will surpass all men. But for that... Knight, was your name? I will require the fruits of her research from your blood and bones! Your power will continue within me... Rest easy on that score! I, who have surpassed the limits of humanity, will use your power to become something more, and bring about peace!

Just goes to show you that you can never trust an Overlord.

Overlord
Level: 60
HP: 6000
STR: 58
TEC: 48
VIT: 50
AGI: 37
LUC: 50
Skills:
  • LRDA: Uses the head. Attempts to inflict paralysis, panic, and fear on each party member, with a 30% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • VOID3: Uses the head. Deals 70% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • MACV: Cannot be disabled. Nullifies and counters all Cut/Stab/Bash damage to the Overlord with 120% STR-based damage of the same element as the nullified damage to the source of the damage for one turn. Has 120 base accuracy.
  • VOID2: Uses the head. Deals 140% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • AACV: Cannot be disabled. Nullifies and counters all Fire/Ice/Volt damage to the Overlord with 120% TEC-based damage of the same element as the nullified damage to the source of the damage for one turn. Has 120 base accuracy.
  • VOID1: Uses the head. Deals 210% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • REPAIR: Uses the head. Heals the Overlord for 1000 HP. Has a 60% speed modifier.
  • VOID0: Uses the head. Deals 400% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to the party. Has a 50% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 100% 100% 125%
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

This fight against Overlord isn't really a boss fight, so much as it is a specs check. If you're having trouble with this guy, you are not going to like what's coming up soon. Here's his attack pattern.
  • Turn 1: LRDA
  • Turn 2: VOID3
  • Turn 3: MACV
  • Turn 4: VOID2
  • Turn 5: AACV
  • Turn 6: VOID1
  • Turn 7: REPAIR
  • Turn 8 until death: VOID0
He's basically a countdown boss, but any party worth their salt should be able to take down Overlord way before he gets to use VOID0.

The only piece of advice I'll give is to avoid using Force at all in this fight if possible.

Well, that's unlucky.

MACV is a status move, and if you're wondering why I didn't bother with Prevent Order...

It's because Barrier is FAR better once Chloe has enough skill points to put into that and War Lore Mastery. What it does is it gives a chance for the entire party to nullify any ailments, binds, and debuffs. Except once Barrier is at level 20, and War Lore Mastery is at level 15, the activation rate will always be at 100%. Sound familiar? Yeah, it's a slightly weaker version of Fairy's Robe (Can't block Instant Death and there's a cap on how many times it can block something.) effectively making it so there's no reason to use that Force Break outside of a handful of situations. If you're bringing the Story party to the post-game, you pretty much need that skill to survive.

Sentinel Guard is a pretty special skill. It sets the party's defenses to the user's for the current turn, and reduces the damage of all incoming attacks on top of that. However, it comes at the cost of disabling all the user's defensive shield skills for one turn. So it's a bit situational however, it's the only skill in the Protector's skillset that can defend against Almighty attacks! And since Overlord only does direct attacks every other turn, this skill is perfect for this fight.

Really, Flavio?

At least Ailing Slash still deals respectable base damage.

And thanks to Sentinel Guard, the party barely took any damage.

Knight is the only person in the party that has pure elemental attacks, and he can only use those while Transformed, so everyone is forced to hold off on this turn.

Resuming beatdown.

That fight could have gone better, but oh well.

It's not moving anymore... Did we beat him?
Is it a good thing if we did?

As you struggle to answer that question, the dignified voice echoes once again.

No... I am not lost yet.
This voice...! Were you not slain!?
I will not fall... not until I have seen my research to its conclusion. Heed this... Unless my power is joined with Knight's... you will not have power enough to defeat the Calamity. If you wish to save yourselves, then stop resisting me and accept your death! As Overlord, it falls to me to end your journey myself...!

https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankPreciousGlassfrog.webm

Overlord
HP: 27000
STR: 59
AGI: 39
LUC: 53
Skills:
  • Mountain Stream: Does nothing for one turn. Uses the arms. Deals 220% melee STR-based Bash damage to the front row. Has a 120% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Dazzling Sunlight: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' heads, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Dance: Cannot be disabled. Deals 5 (if no Overlord Core) or 10 (if Overlord Core) instances of 200% (if no Overlord Core) or 400% (if Overlord Core) melee STR-based Cut damage to random targets. Can hit the same target once (if Overlord Core) or twice (if Overlord Core) at most. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Birth of Anguish: Uses the arms. Deals 170% melee STR-based Cut damage to one target, with splash damage. Attempts to inflict panic on hit targets, with a 20% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Hail and Rain: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Ice damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' arms, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Solitude: Uses the legs. Reduces the party's physical defense by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict paralysis and fear on each party member, with a 25% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Crashing Thunder: Uses the head. Deals 180% ranged TEC-based Volt damage to the party. Attempts to bind hit targets' legs, with a 25% base chance. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Seek: Cannot be disabled. Purges all debuffs from the Overlord, and raises his physical attack by 30% for 4 turns.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 75% 25% 25% 0% 0% 25%
0% 0% 10%
25% 50% 25%

Overlord's attack pattern for this phase:
  • Phase 1 (100% to 75% HP):
    • Turn 1: Nothing
    • Turn 2: Mountain Stream
    • Turn 3: Attack
    • Loops until next phase.
  • Phase 2 (75% to 50% HP):
    • End of last turn: Summons one Killer Satellite
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 1
    • End of turn 2: Summons Overlord Core
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Dazzling Sunlight, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until the next phase
    • Turn 4: Birth of Anguish
  • Phase 3 (50% to 25% HP):
    • End of last turn: Summons two Killer Satellites
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 2
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Hail and Rain, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until the next phase
    • Turn 4: Birth of Anguish
    • Turn 5: Nothing
    • Turn 6: Mountain Stream
    • Turn 7: Solitude
    • Turn 8: Attack
    • Turn 9: Birth of Anguish
  • Phase 4 (25% HP to death):
    • End of last turn: Summons two Killer Satellites
    • Turns 1 and 2: Whatever was upcoming from phase 2
    • The Overlord Core's summoning is followed up by 4 turns of Crashing Thunder, then an infinite loop of Dance
    • When the Overlord Core is destroyed, the Overlord will use Dance, and then loop the next pattern until he dies
    • Turn 3: Solitude
    • Turn 4: Attack
    • Turn 5: Birth of Anguish
    • End of turn 5: Summons Overlord Core
In the original game, Overlord was pretty much the most pathetic final boss in the series. All it boiled down to was a damage race, and offensive oriented parties were heavily effective there. Here? Not much has changed. Despite Overlord's new shiny attack pattern, he still boils down to a damage race, and is still the most pathetic final boss in the series. Just don't debuff him unless you want him using Seek.

Just setting up here.

...Aaaaand the difficulty of this fight just dropped considerably.

Screwed up the timing on that screenshot there, but that's a lot of damage.

By the way, I hope you weren't enjoying the final boss theme.

This is going to be painful. For Overlord, that is.

Nope.

A decent chunk of damage.

Oh joy, summons.

Killer Satellite
HP: 1700
STR: 58
TEC: 45
VIT: 45
AGI: 41
LUC: 48
Skills:
  • Chase Laser: Used after elemental attacks. Uses the head. Deals 150% ranged TEC-based damage of the same element of the chased skill. Has 100 base accuracy.
  • Self-Destruct: Used on the same turn as Dance. Deals 800% ranged TEC-based Fire damage to the entire party. Kills the Killer Satellite after use.
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
50% 100% 50% 50% 0% 50% 50%
50% 50% 10%
50% 100% 100%

Take out these nuisances quick unless you want the turns where Overlord uses elemental attacks to become even more painful.

Since Flavio dodged an attack, he can now use Hazy Arrow. If you're trying to get the most out of that skill, stick Flavio (or your Survivalist if you're playing Classic) in the front row so they'll be targeted more often and can dodge more attacks that way. They're durable enough that they can survive a few hits, anyway.

Might as well whittle down that Killer Satellite, but I'm honestly not too concerned about it.

Flavio has a much better bow and more AGI, so his damage output is closer to Chloe's now.

Please keep attacking Flavio. :allears:

Overlord is essentially a training dummy for this party.

And let's keep Transform going.

Great, another summon.

Overlord Core
HP: 2800
STR: 59
AGI: 39
LUC: 53
Damage resistances:
Disable resistances:
0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%
0% 0% 0%

The Overlord Core is just a timer. All it really does is slow the fight down. If you don't kill it before Overlord uses Dance, say hello to the Game Over screen.

The Overlord is completely helpless. All because the party decided to eat some shaved ice before the fight.

Impending doom approaches...

Since the blind wore off, I turn on Flavio's Force Boost so he can keep throwing out Hazy Arrows.

Same with Chloe. Overlord doesn't have much HP left at this point.

Fortunately, all Overlord will do at this point is spam Dazzling Sunlight for a few turns.

Why not? Arianna has nothing better to do this turn, anyway.

I probably could have left the Overlord Core around, but I didn't want to risk anything.

And Knight prepares to rev up the pain train.

Nope.

Yeah, that's not gonna save you.

Overlord doesn't have that much HP left. I don't know if this will manage to kill him, but if not...

I have backup plans.

And down he goes! I'll be honest, his first form put up way more of a fight than he did. Never underestimate the power of deserts, kids.

And I even got an extra copy of his drop as insult to injury.

Now in Classic mode, this is where the game would end. Story mode has a bit more to go through.

You hear only the Overlord's voice from the collapsed form before you.

...You have demonstrated that your power exceeds mine. The Grail of Kings... or the Elixir, as some call it... I grant its infinite power to draw out man's vitality to you... Accept it... The power of the Grail!

Sir Knight?
I have given you the power of life which exceeds that of humanity... Neither she nor I could accomplish it... But perhaps you two... If you desire peace strongly enough, its power may awaken... Go, Knight. When you face the Calamity, this power should awaken, and you will be reborn as something inhuman. Use that power to slay the Calamity...

With those last words, the so-called Ruler of Heaven dissipates into motes of light... Within you begins to stir the power that the Overlord had been researching. The power to destroy the Calamity... You rise up to slay the Calamity, cause of so much tragedy throughout history!

The Calamity sleeps in the depths of Ginnungagap, correct...?
Let us go there, into the depths of the earth, at Sir Knight's side!

Let's put an end to this!

You firmly voice your determination to the rest of your guild.

Yes!
Let's do it!
This old man'll be with you to the end.
I'll do my best.

The energy from your guildmates lifts your spirits as always. You have one final task: to descend back to earth from this heavenly keep and put an end to the long strife!

Hey, stairs!

However, you have a more important task right now: defeat the dread Calamity! Return to town for now, and when you are ready, head to the depths of Ginnungagap!

Yeah, no going to the post-game just yet. For now, the Calamity must be dealt with.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Update 38: The Penultimate Peril

Yeah. But I dunno if we should be too eager to get to Ginnungagap. If we're going to fight the Calamity, we'll need to be ready.
Um, I want to go to the Grand Duchy first. Ms. Lady was worried about us, so we should tell her what happened.
Was Chloe... thinking about someone else!?
You always stay quiet and hidden when we go to the Grand Duchy... How did you remember who we meet there!?
You two are rude.

You don't have food poisoning, do you?
You're mean, Knight. I can think about other people.
Of course she can! Why, Dame Chloe's heart bleeds for her friends more than any other I know.
Arianna gets it. You other three are useless.
Hahah, why, thank you. I'm certain the Lady will be pleased by your thoughtfulness, Dame Chloe. Now then, shall we report to the Grand Duchy?

I am sure Lady Gradriel will be overjoyed at your return. I shall let her know at once!

Yet though you've found the floating castle and lain hands on the Grail of Kings... your journey is far from over, no? ...I only know of the Calamity's horror from ancient, dry lore. The notion that there could possibly be a power capable of annihilating it is beyond my grasp. But in your quest to resist what we have all averted our eyes from for so long, may the guidance of Ladies past serve you well. It is hardly enough, but please accept this.

Some nice rewards.

My feelings align with my Lady's. I, too, will pray that you find success in slaying the Calamity. Mark my words... Be sure that you return to us safely!

Mhm. We should make sure we're prepared, eat a good meal, then head out.
Yeah. I mean, all we can do is take the fight to 'em like we always do. The best we can do is probably just to take care of our usual stuff before we set out.
...... Um, actually... there is something I would like to say to all of you.

Are you tired?
*giggle* No, I'm fine. I'm actually very confident in my condition now. But...
There is something that I would like to say to all of you. I would like to thank all of you for helping me come this far. We have not yet completed the task, but I believe that I would not be standing here if not for all your help. I must apologize for having involved you all in the fate of my country...
...Perhaps it is wrong to say so, but I am glad that fate has thrown us all together.
If not for all that has happened... I would not have become friends with such wonderful people.
So, please. I would like you all to accompany me until the very end!

We can finally do what we came to do.
Oh yeah, that was our first task here, wasn't it...? We ended up taking a really roundabout path getting here.
*giggle* That is indeed true. However, it was a very fun path.
I had fun too.
Well, this old man's could use a bit of downtime. I'm kind of hoping we'll finally be able to close the book on this one.
And to do that, we need to go into the depths of Ginnungagap.
Yes. We must go even further than where we fought Sir Bertrand. That is the path that leads to the Great Calamity.

Well, let's head on over once we're well prepared, Knight!

Now we can open this door.

And head on down to the bottom of Ginnungagap.

Heavens...

The instant you step into this space, you sense an incomprehensible presence. Something ominous is lurking in the depths of this place. It is no mere hunch, but a certifiable fact, as every instinct within you screams of danger.

It's kinda... overwhelming.
It's this bad already, and we can't even see it yet.
It must be regaining its strength now that Ginnungagap's in decline. Our ordinary strategies aren't gonna work on this thing...
The great Calamity that could destroy the world is not far now...

Are you getting cold feet?
In truth, no. If I had to face the horror alone, perhaps, but with the rest of you...
The Princess of Caledonia will be intimidated by no one!

You look at your guildmates' faces, each in turn, to see where they stand. Each one is filled with determination, resolve, and trust in you.

Let's go forth!
Yes!
You don't need to tell us twice!
Heh, fine...
Leave it to me.

Now that you all stand as one, you begin your journey into the depths of the blue-stained ruins.

There are 2 audio only conversations that can play down here. Here's the first one:

At the outset, I never imagined things turning out this way.
Neither did I. But I want to do my part for a better tomorrow.
A better tomorrow... Yes. That is my goal as well.

Hm? Did I see something move past that broken wall there...?

I-Is that... an eye?

What appears to be a gigantic eye is visible through the crack, and what's more, it is fixed on you. But it shows no sign of coming closer, and is seemingly content on keeping a close watch on your movements. It is unsettling to know you are being watched in this way, but you must do something in order to proceed.

The choice you make here doesn't matter. But let's try approaching it.

Repeat 3 times. Let's get out of that hallway.

This time it fails to grab us.

It's looking for food.
Food... You mean us!?
I'm glad it can't leave the wall. It might have done worse if it could.
I, too, count myself fortunate that we escaped its reach...
This is just a guess, but... we're down far enough in Ginnungagap that it might have been part of the Calamity. But it doesn't matter much what it was. What's important is not getting caught by that thing every time. Let's play it smart and avoid it as we go.
Right. Let's keep a look out for eyes in the wall to try and predict where the tentacle will strike.

Oh...? There's something floating about.

You look in the direction Arianna indicates.

It has an interesting morphology.
I know where you're coming from, but don't let your guard down. It could be one of the Calamity's minions.
Yeah, let's not pick any pointless fights. Who knows what it might do...

Having noticed a powerful enemy afoot, you consider the best way to proceed from here.

Hmm, that FOE happens to be in the path of an eye. I wonder...

Can we chalk this up to whatever weird thing caught us before?
Hmm. When that eye notices us, it comes to grab us, no matter what's in the way...

I feel a little bad for it.
You mean the monster it caught? Well, I guess it did get caught up in our problem, but I'm not too broken up.
Mm-hm. Now that the blue monster's caught, we can move on.
Huh. You're right, now that you mention it. We can use this chance to keep going.
We should watch for both the eyes and the blue monsters from now on.

You make a note to keep track of both the eyes in the walls and the movements of the blue monsters as you go.

Once those FOEs get grabbed, you can get a preemptive on them and they start off the battle fully bound, so that can make them much easier to take down.

The Story party has nothing new to say until we reach the end of the floor, so here's the 2nd audio only conversation that can play here:

Is it just me who's scared to go on?
Even if it's scary, we have to keep going.
Eheheheh. Pretty harsh, Chloe.

Oh, and entering this floor opened up some new town dialogue, so let's go check that out.

Hm? Oh, you see... my daughter's been saying how worried she is about all of you, and it's starting to rub off on me... Make sure you don't do anything dangerous, Knight. You hear me?

I had a... a scary dream...

We're fine.
...Yeah. You guys are all really strong... You'll all be fine...

You're such a baby.
...B-But it was really scary...! If that dream was real... But... you guys did come back safe... I'm just really glad.

In the dream, you flew off to some faraway land, Knight... It felt like a bad omen, for sure. And the thought of you flying, somehow... it's way too bizarre. So what would you like to buy? Some heavy armor? Maybe it'll keep you from floating off... I-I mean...! Forget I said that!

I can't imagine all the burdens you must be carrying. Um... ...Just come back safe. I'll be sure to prepare a little celebration for you when you come back.

Who do yeh think I am? I've been readin' people in this city for years. I know when something serious is up. Lemme guess. Something to do with Midgard? An' those bigwigs at the Grand Duchy... Eh, well. Ain't my business. Well, good luck to yeh. Make sure not to die, though. There's nothing more important than yer life, yeh know? Think carefully on what's really important to yeh... and give it yer all!

I doubt there's anything I can do that would help... but I want you to know that I understand the burden you carry. Trust your comrades, Knight. Do that, and the way ahead will be clear. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope you find fortune on your travels.

... Do you remember the first time you arrived here, at the Grand Duchy? I can remember it as though it was yesterday. To think that you young ones accomplished so much, and came so far... Ah, dear me... It appears when one gets old, they become sentimental. I'm... I'm quite overcome with emotion. Good luck... I expect great things from you.

Now that we've heard all those words of encouragement, it's time to take down the Calamity.

Interesting thing about this little hallway here.

It's the very same one Knight traveled down when he had to meet with the Black Guardian both times. There are no encounters in here either. It's just a set piece.

...That means he was placed in front of the final boss' room at the very beginning of the game. Huh.

Whatever the Calamity has in store, we're ready for it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The End

You can say with certainty that the great Calamity, cause of so many sorrows, awaits you beyond here... All that you need in order to open this door is a firmly set resolve.

Your will is already firm. You turn back toward your guildmates, with whom you have shared so much.

The Calamity... it's just past here. For hundreds--no, thousands of years, High Lagaard and Caledonia suffered because of this thing.
It hurt Trand... Arianna... even Knight. We should put a stop to it.
Honestly, this thing freaks me out. I don't even know why I'm here. But... you've made your choice, right, Knight?
I'll go with you to the very end. You're my best friend, after all.
I must admit, I still harbor some fears. We do not know if the Calamity truly can be defeated.
But we have met with many setbacks before now, and overcome them all. I believe that is because of us all... Because the five members of the Guild guild worked as one.
And that is why we will win. I will provide the best support that I can to every one of you.

The woman stands by your side, as do your other guildmates... You do not know whether you can win against the Calamity, or what the future has in store even if you do. But it is that uncertainty that allows for the possibility of hope.

Let's put an end to this.
Yep. I owe you big time, so I'll make drat sure you stay safe.
I'll work hard too. I'll watch your back, Knight.
I'll go along with whatever you decide. You have my full support.
I as well.
I hope that you'll allow me to accompany you to the very end... my knight.

Your resolve is made and your hearts have come together. Then, there is no need to hesitate any longer. Now, open the door and face the great Calamity that lurks in these ruins!

Music stops.

The atmosphere here is markedly different from elsewhere in the ruins. The tension is palpable simply standing here...

There's nothing here...?

Chloe glances around, confused. You admit to seeing nothing unusual in the area either.

You sense a powerfully evil presence, far worse than even the most dreadful of monsters you've yet encountered!

Wh...! What is that...!?

It's coming!

Ginnungagap had a monster this big in it...?
I knew it would be something else, if they needed a whole ruin to seal it away, but this is way beyond what I imagined!
So this is our final enemy...

Before you writhes the so-called Calamity, a creature vastly more horrific and terrible than your previous opponents. Its appearance is so monstrous that your hands cannot help but tremble as they grip your weapons. Merely seeing the Calamity's eyes blink as they stare hungrily at you instills an instinctive desire to flee. But you neither step back, nor lower your weapons.

Heh. Your size doesn't scare us! You think you're the first thing we've fought that's bigger than us!?
This would be impossible to do alone. But we're not alone...
Hey, ugly. It's your fault that my life's a mess. You're going to pay for what you've done, right here, right now!
We will never retreat! Not when the promise and the potential of the future is in the balance!

No matter what unearthly power it may possess, you have the strength to fight against it. The guildmates who stand at your side will support you through any and all adversity!

This is it!
We shall follow you to the very end!

You give a battle cry and point your weapon at the Calamity, and your companions take up their arms without hesitation. The battle to break the chains of sorrow that have gone on these many centuries has begun!

And so begins the fight with the final boss of Story mode, the Lagaardian Yggdrasil Core!

:siren::siren:

Interesting thing to note, Classic mode actually has different music for this fight. Yes the whole Calamity plot is in there. Read Ragnar Homsar's LP to find out how it's handled there.

What you're seeing in action is Cell Membrane. What it does is cancel the effects of anything that targets the user, whether it's harmful or helpful. So we can't touch it, but annoyingly enough, the Yggdrasil Core is still considered a valid target for random target moves.

The only thing we can attack are these Core Irae, which there are 2 of.

Core Irae
Level: 62
HP: 2500
STR: 55
TEC: 36
VIT: 60
AGI: 40
LUC: 52
Skills:
  • Earth Slash: Uses the arms. Deals 80% melee STR-based Cut damage to one row. Has a 90% speed modifier and 95 base accuracy.
  • Demon's Lance: Uses the arms. Deals 100% melee STR-based Stab damage to one party member, with line-piercing effect. Has a 120% speed modifier and 95 base accuracy.
  • Root Cyclone: Requires another Core Irae be alive to use. Uses the arms. Deals 180% melee STR-based Bash damage to the party. Has no speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
100% 100% 100% 125% 125% 125%
Disable resistances:
0% 50% 50% 50% 0% 50% 0%
10% 10% 0%
0% 50% 0%

EOU veterans, do those skill names sound familiar? They should, because those are also the skills the Etrian Yggdrasil Core had! Okay, EO2U's skills weren't translated the same way as EOU's version. Also they have significantly different powers and effects, given that the Etrian version is a post-game boss. Still, it's a nice callback.

Anyway, the Irae are weak to elemental attacks. The annoying thing about them is that both of the Irae must be killed within one turn of each other, otherwise the Yggdrasil Core will revive the dead one back to full HP. Oh and here's the attack pattern for the Yggdrasil Core's first phase:

• Beginning of the phase: Cell Membrane
  • Turn 2: Poison Dust
  • Turn 3: Nothing
  • Turn 4: Nothing
And then the pattern loops back to turn 1. The Core Irae will only use Earth Slash and Demon's Lance during this phase, and they use them randomly. Once you kill both of them at the same time, Yggdrasil Core will move onto phase 2.

Setting up, like always.

Ha ha, nice!

Okay, both of the Irae should be able to be taken out next turn.

I'm not breaking out Transform yet, because there is a lot more to this fight.

I can have Flavio nuke down an Irae pretty hard since he dodged an attack last turn.

Since Poison Dust will be used this turn, I have Chloe break out Barrier.

Link Order II is the only true AOE the Story party has. It should clear out both of the Irae in case something goes wrong.

One down!

Not happening.

WHAT!?

Fortunately, that was just a minor setback.

Next targets that have to be taken down are the Core Odia.

Core Odium
HP: 4000
STR: 50
TEC: 55
VIT: 42
AGI: 30
LUC: 52
Skills:
  • Giga Flame/Freezing Nova/Thunder Rain: Uses the head. Deals 100% ranged TEC-based Fire/Ice/Volt damage to 2-3 random targets. Can hit the same target once at most. Has no speed modifier and 99 base accuracy.
  • Amplify: Cannot be disabled. Heavily increases the power of Armageddon, depending on how many Odia are alive at the time of casting.
Damage resistances:
125% 125% 125% 100% 100% 100%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 0% 0% 0% 0% 50%
10% 10% 10%
50% 0% 0%
The Core Odia are more dangerous. While you can use the elemental walls to block one of their attacks, you won't be able to block the other one unless you have more than one wall user. Yggdrasil Core's pattern in phase 2 changes to this:
  • Beginning of the phase: Summons 2 Cell Odia
  • Turn 2: Calamity Eyes
  • Turn 3: Nothing
Then it loops back to turn 1. Unlike the Core Irae, the Core Odia have their own attack patterns.
  • Left Core Odium:
    • Turn 1: Giga Flame
    • Turn 2: Freezing Nova
    • Turn 3: Thunder Rain
    • Loops until death.
  • Right Core Odium:
    • Turn 1: Thunder Rain
    • Turn 2: Giga Flame
    • Turn 3: Freezing Nova
    • Loops until death.
Like with the Irae, the Odia must be killed within one turn of each other or they get revived.A strategy you could use is to kill one Odium immediately. When a Core Odium gets revived, their attack pattern gets reset, so timing it right can ensure that the elemental walls block most of the damage during this phase. Once both Core Odia go down, Yggdrasil Core will move onto phase 3.

Blinding one of them will make Bertrand's job so much easier.

Oh come on!

This is gonna hurt.

Okay good, it only attacked 2 times.

Okay I'm just going to warn you about something. What I'm about to do here? Don't do it! I make a massive mistake here.

You actually want to save Transform for the 3rd or 4th phase. Using it before then is way too early!

You want to know what other mistake I made?

Forgetting that the Yggdrasil Core uses Calamity Eyes here! :bang:

Oh, he's one of the worst possible targets to get hit with that!

Bertrand ended up getting fully bound.

Which canceled the effects of the wall he set up, and caused my party to take the hits from both Odia.

I know Thunder Wave will have most of its hits absorbed by the Cell Membrane.

However, I only needed one of those waves to hit each Odium, so Delayed Chase would hit both at the same time.

Now the Core itself is open for attack!

Yggdrasil Core
HP: 25000
STR: 55
TEC: 40
VIT: 40
AGI: 35
LUC: 55
Skills:
  • Cell Membrane: Cannot be disabled. Dispels all ailments, binds, and debuffs the Yggdrasil Core is afflicted with at cast time. Nullifies all damage and ailments/binds to the Yggdrasil Core until the Core Iraes and Core Odia (as applicable) have been destroyed.
  • Isolate: Cannot be disabled. Deals 130% ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to one party member, with splash damage. Has a 70% speed modifier and 120 base accuracy.
  • Poison Dust: Cannot be disabled. Reduces the amount of HP each party member receives from restoration sources by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict poison on the entire party, with a 30% base chance and 40 base poison damage (around 90 adjusted for level). Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Ruinous Curse: Cannot be disabled. Reduces each party member's maximum HP by 50% for 4 turns. Attempts to inflict curse on the entire party, with a 50% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Segment: Revives either the Core Irae or the Core Odia.
  • Calamity Eyes: Cannot be disabled. Purges all buffs from one party member. Reduces one party member's physical/elemental defense by 30% for 4 turns. Attempts to bind all of the target's body parts, with a 60% base chance. Has an 80% speed modifier.
  • Core Charge: Cannot be disabled. Raises one Core Irae or one Core Odia's damage by 50% for one turn.
  • Pandemic: Cannot be disabled. If any party members have debuffs, ailments, or binds, spreads them to the rest of the party. Infliction rate is 1000%. Has a 20% speed modifier.
  • Armageddon: Cannot be disabled. Deals ranged 100% TEC-based Almighty damage to each party member. Damage increases depending on how many Core Odia cast Amplify on the previous turn; 600% for 1, 800% for 2. If the Yggdrasil Core casts it continuously, the damage increases with each cast: 100%, 150%, 200%, 260%, 320%, 380%, 450%, 550%. Has a 30% speed modifier and 200 base accuracy.
Damage resistances:
125% 125% 125% 150% 150% 150%
Disable resistances:
50% 50% 25% 25% 25% 0% 25%
0% 0% 25%
25% 25% 25%
  • Phase 3 (100% to 75%):
    • Turn 1: Ruinous Curse
    • Turns 2 through 8: Isolate
    • Moves onto phase 4 if turn 8 is reached, or its HP drops below 75%.
  • Phase 4:
    • Beginning of the phase: Segment (Revives the Cell Irae)
    • Turn 1: Core Charge
    • Turn 3: Pandemic
    • Moves onto phase 5 if turn 4 is reached.
  • Phase 5:
    • Beginning of the phase: Segment (Revives the Cell Odia) and Cell Membrane
    • Turn 1: Core Charge
    • Turn 3: Pandemic, Core Odia cast Amplify if they're still alive
    • Turn 4: Armageddon
    • Loops until Yggdrasil Core drops below 40%. If the Yggdrasil Core drops below 40% before reaching turn 4, it will still go through the phase before moving onto phase 6. It will immediately jump to phase 6 if it drops below 40% after one loop.
  • Phase 6 (40% to death):
    • Turn 1: Ruinous Curse
    • Until Death: Armageddon
That's quite the attack pattern. Barrier can nullify most of its support moves, so it's important to have Chloe cast that during those times. Isolate doesn't deal that much damage, but Ruinous Curse can cause it to take off way more HP since it reduces the amount of maximum HP the party has.

Flavio, please!

Yeah, no. I remembered how your attack pattern goes this time!

And I immediately caused it to move onto phase 4, how about that?

I really mistimed that Transform.

Normally I don't break out the War Heal skills in a fight, but things are not going as planned.

Doing this so I can apply an AOE Attack Order to the party.

...Oh no.

Guess what I forgot to do? :downsbravo:

...In all honesty, this was not the best use of Accelerate. I was panicking and way too desperate to take out the Core Irae so I wouldn't have to deal with both those and the Core Odia at the same time.

Everyone aside from Knight is starting to run low on TP.

...You know, if I just targeted the living Irae with that, I would be getting myself into a much better position.

Using Akashic Nova now would be putting the finishing touches on my own grave, so I opted to do something else.

Namely, canceling Knight's Force Boost early.

Crap, that was not enough to kill it!

Okay, how much HP did that Irae even have left?

...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!? :bang:

Okay, so Force Reset ends the user's Force Boost Early, but refunds some of their Force. Now I'm using Force Charge in a desperate attempt to get Transform back up.

I'm utterly at a loss as for what to do here, so I have Arianna cast this skill. If someone dies from an attack, they have a decent chance of immediately being revived. It's a fantastic safety net for the post-game.

And this is Root Cyclone in action. Once the Yggdrasil Core brings back the Core Irae in phase 4, they'll cast this every other turn. So taking them out quickly is even more important.

Great, Yggdrasil Core got to phase 5 before I could finish off the Irae. Now I have to deal with both the Irae and the Odia at the same time!

Rub it in, why don't you?

When the Odia are borught back, their attack pattern changes.

• Left Core Odium:
    • Turn 1: Thunder Rain
    • Turn 2: Giga Flame
    • Turn 3: Freezing Nova
    • Loops until death.
  • Right Core Odium:
    • Turn 1: Freezing Nova
    • Turn 2: Thunder Rain
    • Turn 3: Giga Flame
    • Loops until death.

Screw this. It'll suck not having the nearly guaranteed evasion to get more Hazy Arrows with, but I can't take the risk of having to deal with everything at the same time.

Also sucks to lose out on Guaranteed Ailing Slashes, but my party really isn't in a good position right now.

Okay, that got rid of one of the Irae.

And Knight got rid of the other Irae, resulting it to... shrink and disappear. Yeah from a technical standpoint, this fight wasn't made all that well. There's actually a noticeable amount of slowdown throughout the entire fight. Might be because of how complex the Yggdrasil Core's model is? I dunno.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Come on, just a little more!

Okay, now all that's left is the core itself!

And it looks like the tables have turned!

Flavio. I just need one Blind at this point!

And it just hit me that I'm in the final phase where it starts spamming Armageddon. I'm running out of time here.

Holy cow, finally! And just in the nick of time!

Phew! That Blind just bought me a few more turns.

But I'll only need one.

Okay, there were several mishaps along the way, but the Yggdrasil Core is down!

For the record, the results screen music is still playing here.

We did it! We beat the Calamity!
Stop shouting, Flavio.
Don't be ridiculous, Chloe! Times like these are made to hoot and holler as loud as you can!
The kid has a point, for once. C'mon, this is cause for celebration.
Mm. Okay. I'll be happy too.
You could try sounding like you mean it...

Are you hungry?
It's simply that... How should I say this? Now that I know my duty is over, I feel so drained...
Though that's not say to I don't feel a certain amount of relief as well! Come, let us join the others in their merriment.

Music cuts out, and the screen starts shaking.

Wh-What the hell!?
Don't move around too much! You'll get yourself in trouble!
I know... I'll stay still.

A claw comes out and knocks the party out.

You find yourself collapsed on the ground with no clear memory of what happened. Though as you struggle to think back, the memory returns...

You quickly get to your feet and look around. Your guildmates are scattered and fallen, as if dead. None among them are moving, and only one face is turned toward you, meeting your eye.

You must... run...

The woman pleads at you with her eyes, concerned for your safety. As Flavio, Bertrand, and even Chloe do not stir from unconsciousness, only Arianna calls to you desperately...

While you survive, we still have hope...! So please... forget me, and flee from here with the others...!

With that, Arianna drags herself towards the Calamity. You can see that she means to save her guildmates by offering herself as a decoy.

Stop this, Arianna!
I will not! From the start, this task was set by the Duchy of Caledonia... And as such, it must be me who bears the brunt of the responsibility!
It's not a matter of nationality!
In what sense!? This is no one's fault but my own... I... I'm the one who chose you, Sir Knight...
I must be the one to save you!
Don't think like that!

Music cuts out.

As you shout to the woman, her face crumples, with tears welling in her eyes.

But I am to blame... It was I who brought you so far from home... This was never your struggle... I'm sorry...

The woman hangs her head and repeats her apology, again and again.

I'm so sorry, Sir Knight...
If I'd known this would happen... I... would rather we have never met...

Tears stream down the woman's face throughout her heart-wrenching speech. You struggle to find something you can do to ease her pain... As you search for an answer, you find yourself naturally approaching her. And as Arianna continues to weep for your sake, you gently offer her your hand.

Thank you, Arianna.

https://gfycat.com/BlindEvenBubblefish.webm

Sir Knight... I...

The woman takes your hand and looks directly into your eyes. It is then that you remember clearly... You are the Guardian, chosen by the Lady of the Mark. And as such, there is a task left to you. As a Guardian, you must protect the woman before you.

Leave the rest to me.
Wait! Sir Knight, please!

Sensing your resolve, the woman squeezes her hand, wrapped around yours, tighter.

Sir Knight... I'm so sorry... Then, as now... I have placed such a burden on you...

The tears from the woman's eyes fall upon your hand, held in hers. A calescent heat begins to erupt from within you... Arianna's voice, the warmth of her hand, and the tears she shed kindle something deep within you.

https://gfycat.com/PowerlessAromaticAustrianpinscher.webm

:siren::siren:

https://gfycat.com/ScientificUnhealthyAsiaticlesserfreshwaterclam.webm

Sir... Knight? This form...

The woman's surprise is your first sign that you have changed into an entirely new form. This is the power you gained from the Ruler of Heaven... a powerful force that courses through your entire body. With this power, you are certain that you can slay the Calamity!

I can win this. Trust me.

You have no intention of sacrificing yourself here; you have utter faith that you will return victorious. You smile to the woman and gently squeeze her hand, asking her to wait for you.

Sir Knight...
I understand.
I will trust in what you say... that you will return to us, come what may. And... if by chance you lose your way, Sir Knight... I will call for you with my whole heart… No matter where you may be, I will take pains that my voice might reach you...

With the power of the Grail, Knight becomes something inhuman.

But the Core cannot be attacked with the Irae and Odia in the way.

Try as the Yggdrasil Core might, it cannot defeat Knight.

There is nothing defending the Core now.

For the record, the credits are the same as in Classic mode. If you want to know about the people who were involved in making this remake, watch this video.

Hm? You're not? Ah. You're here to investigate the strange light that appeared near Ginnungagap. It's been the talk of the town, and I'm hardly surprised. Anybody would be curious about such a sudden, blinding light. All I can tell you is what I have personally witnessed. On that day, a shaft of light rose from the direction of the Temple of Ginnungagap. It was very bright, as Irecall. The shaft of light kept rising until it exploded into a bright flash, and then disappeared. And afterwards... I'm sorry, but that is all I can reliably tell you. If you have no other business to discuss, I must ask you to leave.

Huh? That light we saw over Ginnungagap? That story again? Eh, I guess everyone's gotta hear it once... Well y'see, not long before we saw that light, a guild called Guild went there on important business. What “important business"? Hell if I I know! That's just somethin' I heard secondhand. Oh, another customer's here. Sorry, kid, but that's all the time I got for yeh! Be seeing yeh!

Hm? You want to know about the Guild guild? What, did you come here after someone else in town told you they were involved in this case? ...Well... let's see. I don't know what you're hoping to hear from me exactly, but they were an extraordinary guild, no question. And that's all. Now are you going to order something? I did you a favor, and it's time you returned it.

Oh, are you talking about those dears from Guild? They left a while ago. It'll be lonely without them... I'm glad to know that they'll be continuing their journey in perfect health. But it's sad to think they're gone... Especially considering how depressed they seemed before they left... Oh, my, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put a damper on things, especially for a new guest! Come on, and we'll get you situated. Quona! Could you show our new guest to her room?

Huh...? Why were the members of Guild so sad...? Um... it's because one of them, the one named Knight, was gone. So... B-But I think they're all okay. I just... get the feeling... A-Also, on the day the light shined, I saw a pretty shooting star. I made a wish on that star... for everyone to come home safe... Oh, I-I'm sorry... I-I guess that was kind of weird... W-Well, um... please make yourself at home. Huh...? You're not staying here? *sigh* Oh, Mom... she never listens to anyone...

Huh? You want to know where the members of Guild went...? I-I'm sorry, but I don't really know myself. But they did say that they'll come back once they finish what they need to do! I believe in them. And, well, that's all I can really do about it... They did say it helped them to know that there were people waiting for them. So... I think everyone in High Lagaard is waiting for Guild to return... And Knight with them!

You left without a word... I was most concerned for your safety!

Is that the reason for your dingy robes...?
Yes. I was surprised at the general inability to recognize me in them... But thanks to that, I was able to glean many people's unvarnished thoughts. Minister Dubois, what is your opinion of Guild Guild? I myself believe them to be heroes. It is the only fitting word for they who saved this land from peril. Yet no matter what praise we shower upon them, it does nothing to advance their cause... Though I rule over a nation, I am still yet human... I haven't the power to bring back one who is lost to us. It vexes me greatly that there is nothing I can do for Lady Arianna. Yet among the people, many are worried for them, but few have lost hope. All are convinced that Guild shall return to High Lagaard with Knight... That is what I have gathered from them.
Indeed... There may not be many grounds for this hope, but I too choose to believe that they will all return. Besides which, Lady Arianna seemed quite confident that Knight still lives somewhere. I suspect her confidence is why I have such certainty that I will see him again.
You may be right. I shall believe in them as well. I have faith that they will all return to High Lagaard with smiles on their faces...

So ends Story mode, and with that, the Story mode LP is finished. Thank you to everyone who read this. I decided to start up this LP as what was intended to be a little side project. Originally I wanted to show off how to tackle a specific boss fight with the Story mode party as bonus content for the EO2U LP (For the record, we haven't seen it yet) but the idea grew into something bigger. Seeing as how Ragnar Homsar wasn't covering Story mode in his LP, I thought I might try my hand at it. I thought it might be a good way to try dipping my toes at doing normal screenshot LPs. (At the time of this writing, I've only done narrative LPs.) And I'm glad I did it, it was a good experience.

As for my thoughts on the game, I think this remake did a good job ironing out the kinks the original game had. The original game made a bunch of dumb game design decisions, and was pretty much riddled with bugs. Now despite that, I personally think both EO2 and EO2U are games worth checking out, but EO2 is pretty unfriendly to new players, and the balance in that game is quite frankly, the worst in the series. I'd probably say both EO2 and EO3 compete for that title. I wouldn't blame you if don't want to go through it after playing a bit of it. The Story mode in this game? Much better than EOU's Story mode. If you're expecting EOU's Story mode to be at least on par with this one, I hate to disappoint you, but it's actually pretty bad and really bland. Only touch Classic mode if you ever decide to pick up EOU.

Now as for my future plans for this LP, there is actually a bit more to cover, despite the fact that Knight got catapulted off to Arm-whoops, almost gave away too much there. But there's not really much to cover when it comes to the post-game, unfortunately. There aren't any events in the 6th Stratum, and as for town dialogue, there really isn't that much new dialogue in there. Probably like 1 or 2. Also I'm not gonna be covering bosses gameplay wise. I only did that with the boss fights in Story so people could get an idea of how to utilize the Story party properly, and how to play to their strengths. And frankly, I've shown off all I've wanted, so gameplay-wise, my job is done. However, there are more cutscenes with the Story party (For one thing, we haven't seen any of the 6th Stratum restaurant skits yet) that I will show off.

But until then...

https://gfycat.com/FoolhardyPettyArcticwolf.webm

...Fine weather today.
Blue sky. White clouds. Smiling people. These are all the things Knight protected...
Knight...
drat you. Why'd you have to go and leave us while I was unconscious...!? You fought all by yourself... you won... and then you disappeared. That's... What the hell, man!
...... Sir Knight made a promise to me that he would return. And I believe he will honor it.
Besides... As a Daughter of the Mark, I can tell that my knight, Sir Knight, still breathes.
Really?
Yes.
Well... in that case, there's only one thing to do. You saw a shooting star head south after Knight disappeared, right?
So how about we all go there together?
Right!
Agreed!
Hey... Wait a minute, old man, that's what I was going to say!
Ahahah... Then I hope you'll allow me to accompany you as well.

https://gfycat.com/AbleSplendidAbyssiniancat.webm

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Aug 17, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
No more games...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Someone wouldn't happen to know of an alternate host to Tindeck, right? Because I'm fairly certain those audio links weren't bringing this up last night.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

I'll be 100% honest, I don't think anyone really cares about these intro bits, so I'll just sum up classes from here on out. Hexers are the disable class--they focus on inflicting binds and ailments while having access to a few debuffs and some really situational-yet-still-useless skills. They're fantastic not just for the variety of methods they have for disabling enemies, but also because of their Force Boost and Force Break, which triple the chance of binds/ailments landing, and force all disables to last one extra turn, respectively.

Stats

Level 1
HP: 26
TP: 48
STR: 4
TEC: 8
VIT: 5
AGI: 6
LUC: 10

Level 50
HP: 187
TP: 334
STR: 16
TEC: 33
VIT: 19
AGI: 29
LUC: 39

Level 99
HP: 445
TP: 623
STR: 30
TEC: 62
VIT: 36
AGI: 57
LUC: 74

Innate equipment choices: Staff

Innate armor choices: Clothes

Common passives: HP Up, TP Up, Curb ATK Up, Curb DEF Up, Chop

Hexers have an abundance of TP and LUC, decent TEC, above-average AGI, and crappy everything else. The only stat they really care about is LUC, since that's what's considered for inflicting ailments.

Curse Mastery
Requirements: None

Required to learn curse skills. Passively increases the base infliction chances of curse skills.

Sapping Curse
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 1
Body parts used: Head

Reduces all enemies' physical/elemental attack for a set number of turns. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

I don't really think a lot of attack debuffs/defense buffs, mostly because they don't do a ton relative to the amount of skill points you have to put into them, and they really suck at lower levels. You're investing 10 skill points (1 for the mastery, 9 to max out the skill) to reduce damage by a mere 20%, and then using a Grimoire slot to reduce by 30%.

Frailty Curse
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 1

Reduces all enemies' physical/elemental defense for a set number of turns. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

Basically an all-party attack buff that doesn't use up a buff slot. Not really of much use if you already have a Troubadour or Sovereign, but if your Hexer runs out of things to do, there's worse things they could do than buff up your party's damage just a little more.

Weakening Curse
Requirements: Sapping Curse level 5, Frailty Curse level 5

Reduces all enemies' resistance to ailments/binds for a set amount of turns. Seems to be bugged, and either has a minuscule effect, or not effect at all. Has a 150% speed modifier at all levels.

Probably bugged. Pass.

Blinding/Madness Curse
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 3

Attempts to inflict blind/panic on one row of enemies. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Blind is traditionally looked down upon as an ailment that doesn't do much. Honestly, though, given how few enemies resist blind and the fact that barely any of them are immune, it's an easy way to take the sting out of almost any monster. Just be careful that you're not dealing with something that has increased base accuracy on skills.

Panic is obviously a fantastic ailment since it's effectively a silence. Accordingly, quite a few enemies resist panic more than other ailments (although few outright nullify it), but if you can land it, you get at least two turns to do whatever you want.

Venom Curse
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 3

Attempts to inflict poison on one row of enemies. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Great for clearing out random encounters for a good portion of the game, mostly because almost no enemies resist or nullify poison. In boss fights, kind of eh after Chimaera.

Torpor/Corrupt Curse
Requirements: Blinding Curse level 2, Venom Curse level 2 (Torpor Curse); Venom Curse level 2, Madness Curse level 2 (Corrupt Curse)

Attempts to inflict sleep/curse on one row of enemies. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Sleep is a fantastic ailment for random encounters once you hit the late/postgame, since it deprives enemies of, at the minimum, one turn, and amplifies damage dealt by your physical attackers.

Curse, on the other hand, sucks a ton. Its only use is cheese strats and getting conditional drops that require it.

Cranial/Abdomen/Immobile Curse
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 5

Attempts to bind one enemy's head/arms/legs. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Maxing out ALL of the bind curses takes a hell of a lot of skill points (5 for the mastery + 9 to get each of them to 10 = 32 total), but it's very worth it if you're partnering a Hexer with a Dark Hunter. If you're not, maxing out Cranial and Abdomen Curse is generally pretty worth it, while Immobile Curse can generally be ignored.

Evil Eye
Requirements: Curse Mastery level 10

Attempts to inflict fear on one row of enemies. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

Fear is a slightly special ailment. I don't have a lot to say about enemy resistances to it on the whole, but what I can say is that while fear is a chance for an enemy to not act, it also lets you control enemies through the three skills listed below.

Shielding Word
Requirements: Evil Eye level 1

Targets one enemy. If that enemy is afflicted with fear, it will protect the party from a set number of instances of damage for one turn. Does nothing if the target is not afflicted with fear. Costs 5 TP at all levels.

The worst of the fear-controlling skills, especially since it does absolutely nothing in boss fights. I miss the first Evil Eye control skill in EOU, where it both guaranteed an enemy wouldn't act, and amplified all damage to them for one turn.

Conflict Word
Requirements: Evil Eye level 5

Targets all enemies. If an enemy is afflicted with fear, they will attack another random enemy in the battle. If the enemy is alone, it will attack itself once. The damage is based on the enemy's stats, and does not have a damage type. Does nothing if an enemy is not afflicted with fear.

Solidly mediocre. Doesn't do a ton if it's just one enemy, and doesn't even do much more if there's more than one enemy.

Suicide Word
Requirements: Evil Eye level 10

Targets one enemy. If the enemy is afflicted with fear, the target will attack itself a set amount of times on that turn. The damage is based on the enemy's stats, and does not have a damage type. Does nothing if the target is not afflicted with fear.

The best of the fear-controlling skills, mostly because it does more damage than the others. It was considerably better in EOU, where enemy HP totals were quite a bit lower, with the damage staying about the same as it is here. Still, if you're relying on fear, it's in your best interests to drop some points in Suicide Word.

Sacrifice
Requirements: HP Up level 5

Instantly kills one party member. The instant death bypasses all resistance checks--the only way to block it is Fairy Robe. Deals ranged TEC-based Almighty to all enemies. The damage is multiplied by the percentage of the party member's maximum HP they had before death. Also attempts to transfer any ailments and binds the party member had at death to all enemies. Has a 50% speed modifier at all levels, and does not check for accuracy.

One of the most niche skills in the entire game. Good luck making any use of it if you're not doing some ridiculous strategy focused around it!

Reincarnate
Requirements: Sacrifice level 5

Attempts to revive all dead party members. Inflicts fear on revived party members. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels.

A multi-target revive is not worth it both being unreliable and inflicting fear on revived party members. Pass.

Life Trade
Requirements: HP Up level 10

Deals ranged TEC-based Almighty damage to all enemies. Heals the party for 25% of the damage dealt. The damage is the base damage multiplied by the party's current average percentage of their maximum HP. Barbaric March and Transform do not count for changing this multiplier. Has an 80% speed modifier at all levels. Will always miss if the party is at greater than or equal to 100% maximum HP--otherwise, does not check for accuracy.

Again, a really niche skill, especially if your party has one specific person (a Beast, namely) tanking damage.

Chained Benefit
Requirements: Curb ATK Up level 10

Binds the user's arms and legs. On the next turn, increases the chance of the user inflicting ailments and binds. Has no speed modifier at all levels.

I'd say Chained Benefit is good, but the leg bind is a serious strike against it. Disables are things you want going as soon as possible, and leg binds seriously hinder that. All it takes to negate that, however, is a Leg Guard, meaning that it'll only bind your Hexer's arms, which is so irrelevant it's almost funny.

Creeping Curse
Force Boost

Triples the base chances of ailment/bind inflicting skills. Pauses duration of debuffs on enemies.

One of the most powerful Force Boosts in the entire game. Tripling the base chance of landing disables means even enemies with 25% resistances to a given disable are pretty likely to be hit by it.

Black Mist
Force Break

Forces all ailments/binds on enemies at cast time to last one more turn.

A powerful Force Break that comes at the cost of losing Creeping Curse for the rest of the fight.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'll be 100% honest, I don't think anyone really cares about these intro bits, so I'll just sum up classes from here on out.
Actually, I really enjoyed seeing how the classes evolved from the first EO all the way to this one. But if you don't want to write them all up anymore, that's fine too :kiddo:

I always thought Reincarnate was useful for Story Mode for the all-party revive, but I never really used it. Actually, I enjoy how EOU2 seems to give more utility or buffs to most classes, like Overheal for the Medic and Sacrifice for the Hexer. Granted, I guess some of them don't do all that much, but it's still something, and that's cool.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

BlackPersona posted:

Actually, I really enjoyed seeing how the classes evolved from the first EO all the way to this one. But if you don't want to write them all up anymore, that's fine too :kiddo:

It's mostly I've been busy with other games and then suddenly realized that we're all of a few bosses between now and the end of the LP and I still had a whopping 4 classes that needed their writeups. Chalk it up to bad planning on my part.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
I was actually also wondering where they'd gotten to, so it's good to see them again.

vdate fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Aug 18, 2016

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ah Hexers. They're no longer the most broken class in the series like in EO2, but they're in a good place. Especially when they were pretty much the worst class in EO1. I love running ailment strategies when I play EO games, so I was glad when EO4 finally made them good.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Off goes Knight to be an end boss somewhere else.

I'm almost sure of it.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Honestly, with the glorious gold-trimmed armour redesign I get the feeling he'll just grab himself a role in a toku show somewhere.

Efe
Feb 2, 2016

I make alive things dead and sometimes the other way around.
I leave SA (read as: forgot to check SA) for a measly two weeks and Fetus already beat Story mode

It's super late for me to say this but I think White Noble is the way you're supposed to deal with Berserk Cry in Story Mode (I got a surprising amount of mileage out of this skill in certain battles)

Otherwise, congrats on clowning bosses that I struggled with on my first run through this game, though it look like you had trouble with the Core like I did except not really 'cause I lost way more times.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Efe posted:

I leave SA (read as: forgot to check SA) for a measly two weeks and Fetus already beat Story mode

It's super late for me to say this but I think White Noble is the way you're supposed to deal with Berserk Cry in Story Mode (I got a surprising amount of mileage out of this skill in certain battles)

Otherwise, congrats on clowning bosses that I struggled with on my first run through this game, though it look like you had trouble with the Core like I did except not really 'cause I lost way more times.

White Noble is one way to do it, but it only wipes 1 buff and debuff at a time. I opted for Unihorns because it wipes all buffs and debuffs on the party, and I wanted to squeeze as much damage as possible out of everyone through Attack Order. The game also gives you a Clearance Grimoire to make use of on the 21st floor, which also wipes all buffs and debuffs.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Oh, I forgot to mention - thanks for the Story Mode LP, Dr. Fetus! It managed to make me pick the game up for myself, and I haven't regretted my decision yet.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Congrats on finishing, Dr. Fetus! Which bosses would you say were the hardest to deal with on Story Mode? Also, does Stratum 6 have any differences?

Oh, since there were a ton of updates last page I'll just restate that right before the Blizzard King fight in Update 65 on Classic, a few lines are missing (something along the lines of knuckles whitening on weapons and charging into battle??).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Booky posted:

Congrats on finishing, Dr. Fetus! Which bosses would you say were the hardest to deal with on Story Mode? Also, does Stratum 6 have any differences?

Oh, since there were a ton of updates last page I'll just restate that right before the Blizzard King fight in Update 65 on Classic, a few lines are missing (something along the lines of knuckles whitening on weapons and charging into battle??).

Scylla, by far. Despite the relatively smooth attempt I posted in the LP, that was like the last attempt out of 6. At most, the other bosses took me 1 or 2 tries to beat. Yes I had trouble with the Core, but I only took 1 try to beat it in the end. Scylla just has too much going on in that fight, not to mention she's fought at the point where Knight isn't all that great. He can't spam his waves since the tentacles would get in the way, and he doesn't have enough SP to invest in his amazing skills. The Story party also isn't that great at dealing with everything she can throw at them.

Stratum 6 has some differences, but not many. At that point they essentially become a Classic mode party. There are only a few town dialogues that are different, and the only quests that are significantly different in terms of writing are the DLC quests. There are absolutely no events in there for some odd reason, so there's nothing to show off as well.

I'll probably just sit on the rest of the Story mode updates until Ragnar finishes off the post-game and DLC stuff so I don't overtake him, and because I don't intend on showing off any more boss fights. I'll mainly show off the cutscenes, which there aren't much of.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Booky posted:

Blehhhhhhhhhhh. I'll go fix that in a bit.

28F took me two weeks to record because that floor is such a slog, but I have the full raw footage video ready now. It is an hour and 30 minutes long. Prepare for pain.

On another topic, I'm sure at least one person remembers how I basically said I'd be doing either EO4 or EOU after I finished this LP. Well, uh, my plans have changed:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Having made quite a bit of progress in the 6th Stratum, I misremembered the whole town dialogue thing. There are lots of new ones, it's just that the story party rarely pipes up for them. Still probably stuffing all that into one update or so, as there's not much left to show off with the Story party.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Blehhhhhhhhhhh. I'll go fix that in a bit.

28F took me two weeks to record because that floor is such a slog, but I have the full raw footage video ready now. It is an hour and 30 minutes long. Prepare for pain.

On another topic, I'm sure at least one person remembers how I basically said I'd be doing either EO4 or EOU after I finished this LP. Well, uh, my plans have changed:

You are a crazy person.

And I love you for it because I'm far too broke to buy EO5 on release.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Are you going to play the English version or translating the JP one on the go? Not that there's that much text in an EO game.

Well nevermind, I can't seem to find an English release date online. Has one been announced and how late are we European gamers going to get the game?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Omobono posted:

Are you going to play the English version or translating the JP one on the go? Not that there's that much text in an EO game.

Well nevermind, I can't seem to find an English release date online. Has one been announced and how late are we European gamers going to get the game?

He told me that it was indeed a translation LP with help from Clarste. Localization has pretty much been confirmed, since Streetpassing someone who's playing the Japanese version gets you the English name, Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Legends. We just don't know when it's coming out. Probably sometime after Persona 5.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
You say "help" but it's more akin to "Clarste does all the actual translation while I make minor edits and try to keep things semi-consistent with what Atlus USA does."

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

That does remind me, how are you and Clarste handling FOE names?

For anyone not in the know, FOE names were much different in the Japanese versions. From the EO megathread:

Clarste posted:

Which brings me to another point: apparently the Japanese names of FOEs in both this and previous EO games were really really weird. Like, the general theme is that they were named by someone who has no idea what anything is and was probably panicked at the time. Using EOU2 as an example, the Raptors were called "Rushing Attackers" and the Vampire Bats were called "Giant Flying Rats that Sniff You Out". Blue Gels were called "Sticky Lumps that Shoot Cold Air".

I can see why most of these were changed, I mean at the very least they'd run into the text limit, but I find it pretty charming overall. It gives the impression that your adventurers are just naming all these unknown things they encounter with some inelegant description. It's as if they're all written in the journal as "that thing that nearly cut my loving head off", and most of the early-game ones are pretty much named after how they chase you. I can totally imagine a character from one of the EO LPs naming these things, and I think that's how you're supposed to. I just thought it was cute.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
We're keeping the literal translations for those, mostly because I can't even begin to guess what the final names for stuff like a pudding named "One Submerged in Luxury" that has high heel-shaped tendrils would be.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There's... another reason they're described as submerged in luxury. I didn't even know what it was when I translated that name. We'll likely have to deal with things like that on a case by case basis.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Ragnar Homsar posted:

We're keeping the literal translations for those, mostly because I can't even begin to guess what the final names for stuff like a pudding named "One Submerged in Luxury" that has high heel-shaped tendrils would be.

'Fabulous Ooze.'

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Spunky Slime with Deadly Legs

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ragnar Homsar posted:

"Sugar Mama."

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Hire me and I will turn your LP's FOE names into the 4Kids gag dub of FOE names to give a unique flavor between the actual names of the English and the rushed descriptions of the Japanese. There is no downside.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

alcharagia posted:

Hire me and I will turn your LP's FOE names into the 4Kids gag dub of FOE names to give a unique flavor between the actual names of the English and the rushed descriptions of the Japanese. There is no downside.

I can't see any problems with this logic!

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
So, uh, hi. You might've realized this already, but I've gone basically the entire month of August with only one update. This is pretty abnormal compared to my average update rate for the LP, and I feel like explaining why:

I'm genuinely not looking forward to the rest of the postgame. I enjoy EO2U as a whole, but the postgame is uninteresting at best and incredibly frustrating at worst. There's exactly one boss left that I consider kind of enjoyable, and the rest are just trash. This is compounded by the fact that the three bits of end-postgame DLC are absolute trash, with one of them (the DLC superboss) being widely considered the worst, most bullshit boss in the entire series. All of this has been actively weighing on me and it's affected my morale for making new updates when I could be doing other things. As such, I've decided:

I will be skipping the three DLCs that I mentioned. The LP's stopping point will be what the game considers 100%, since DLC stuff doesn't count. I feel a little bad for doing this, but my knowledge of the fights that would be otherwise upcoming actively kills my desire to work on the LP any more.

I've had a lot of fun on the whole making the LP, but now I really would just like to get the unenjoyable parts done with. I apologize if it feels like I'm arbitrarily skipping things, but believe me, I would be at this for a least a few more months otherwise.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Ragnar Homsar posted:

the worst, most bullshit boss in the entire series

:stare:

This is a terrifying thing to call something in a series that is full of 'follow this exact strategy or die' postgame bosses. What is this boss?

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Dark Flame Master posted:

:stare:

This is a terrifying thing to call something in a series that is full of 'follow this exact strategy or die' postgame bosses. What is this boss?

I don't feel like discussing it in-depth right now because it's basically a souped-up version of the normal superboss, but let me just say that:

a) I have never beaten it myself because I do not have the patience for it
b) Fetus's personal record with the Story party (legitimately one of the best parties for it) is 63 turns

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I don't feel like discussing it in-depth right now because it's basically a souped-up version of the normal superboss, but let me just say that:

a) I have never beaten it myself because I do not have the patience for it
b) Fetus's personal record with the Story party (legitimately one of the best parties for it) is 63 turns

Correction, 62. And I wish that was an exaggeration. And that was one of my successful attempts after knowing how to handle the boss properly and testing something out a new strategy from a few months ago. (Yes I fought the drat thing more than once, and did not enjoy a single second of it.) My first attempt took me 64 turns. And that was after like 20 failed attempts, some of which were so close to the end. :smithicide: What the devs expect you to do for the fight is sheer loving lunacy.

I don't know about worst superboss. There's one that it competes with in my opinion (EO3's), and for EO2U's, you can at least come up with something resembling a strategy. EO3's is a complete dice roll and is flat out impossible for most normal parties.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 31, 2016

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
That sounds like SMT superboss levels of 'ATLUS hates you and wants to bathe in your tears.'

You're a brave soul, Fetus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Welp, that seems really stupid.

By the way, is the standard superboss roughly like the one in the original just with adds (because everything has adds here, you'd think this game was the Etrian MMO) or has its moveset been revamped more (and I'm assuming with adds, because see previous point).

• Locked thread