Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

patonthebach posted:

Its a real devils gambit because a vote for the ONDP depending on the polling might as well be a vote for OLP and a repeat of Wynne would be brutal. Might have to bite my tongue and vote OPC even though its not in my best interests.

Did Mike Harris do anything as destructive and stupid as selling off Hydro?

Highway 407 was a bigger boondoggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

Give the people in Brantford a say in whether Toronto gets to improve service frequency, add routes, or spend money to maintain equipment and you'll see how much worse you can do.

That's Tim Hudak and that's why hes president of OREA instead of Premier after bungling what should've been a no brainer campaign.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

Assumes that the OLP are spending responsibly when there is plenty of evidence to the contrary. In terms of what the NDP or PCs would do, lets get them in power and see, I think we've had enough mismanagement and corruption from the OLP for awhile.

As a union member, renter, and transit user, "let's get the PCs in power and see what happens" is slightly better than Russian roulette.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Conservatives are the ones who took the first significant steps toward privatizing our hydro system.

Once upon a time Ontario had forward looking leaders who recognized the huge benefits of a public utility that could provide affordable energy to stimulate industry. It used to be that Ontario manufacturing could compete on costs with Mexican factories despite having much higher labour costs thanks to lower energy costs. But in the 1990s things were rewritten so that the government stopped basing its industrial strategy around cheap power, and since then successive governments have chopped up and started privatizing the grid.

The Gunslinger posted:

Tim Hudak is a moron but the Mike Harris bogeyman? Come on. We've got our own in office right now and they've been doing worse for awhile.

It's fair to bring up Harris in situations where he's relevant to the history of the party.

Up until the 1980s the Ontario PC's were controlled by a more traditional Red Tory elite who chose party leaders and fixed policy behind closed doors. When Mike Harris was first elected as an MPP he was extremely alienated from the establishment of his own party and felt he was kept out of cabinet. He was a relative outsider.

When the PC's finally lost power after decades in office it threw the whole party into chaos. They lost several elections in a row and much of the old guard started to move on. They also made a crucial change to how party leaders were selected, switching to a one-person-one-vote system which empowered the more conservative grassroots membership. The membership then elected Harris, who was more oriented toward the American-style neoconservatism that was flourishing in that period.

Harris then had years to recruit his own style of candidate and to remold the party in his image. And the party he left behind was significantly different than the one he inherited. In fact the changes Harris made to the party can help explain why the party keeps losing. And it also explains why huge numbers of Ontarians, who had no problem electing the PCs for 40 years in a row, are suddenly allergic to the party, especially in Toronto.

Patrick Brown at least seems to recognize that the party needs to finally shake off the reputation for being hardline conservative, which is something I think it largely acquired in the first place because of Harris.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

tagesschau posted:

As a union member, renter, and transit user, "let's get the PCs in power and see what happens" is slightly better than Russian roulette.

I'll wait and see what their platform is before I make up my mind. I don't just assume it will be awful because Tim Hudak was a dipshit. Same thing with the NDP. The OLP has already shown why they can't be trusted to govern and they've been in power long enough. These things are often cyclical and that's fine, they could stand a reorganization that is more than just Wynne shuffling the cabinet.

quote:

Harris then had years to recruit his own style of candidate and to remold the party in his image. And the party he left behind was significantly different than the one he inherited. In fact the changes Harris made to the party can help explain why the party keeps losing. And it also explains why huge numbers of Ontarians, who had no problem electing the PCs for 40 years in a row, are suddenly allergic to the party, especially in Toronto.

Patrick Brown at least seems to recognize that the party needs to finally shake off the reputation for being hardline conservative, which is something I think it largely acquired in the first place because of Harris.

That's certainly fair and its an oft repeated thing that the PCs lost sight of being Progressive and let the conservative elements of the party run rampant. I do agree that Brown seems willing to change long held party stances but can he stand for anything longer than 10 seconds? His polling isn't bad but voters frequently say that they don't know him well and the constant flip flopping isn't doing him any favors there. I just hope that he realizes that old white dudes in Niagara aren't going to win him the election, that party needs to modernize.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Aug 30, 2016

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They're conservatives. 100% guaranteed they will be bad for transit users and renters

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Harris is a bogeyman among students who don't even remember his government, let alone older non-hardline conservative voters who do. It's crazy how much he's disliked, still, and so long as this is the case the PC party is going to have problems.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

I'll wait and see what their platform is before I make up my mind. I don't just assume it will be awful because Tim Hudak was a dipshit.

It's likely to be bad for Toronto because their base is the type of people who are happy to continue to gently caress Toronto over because it sucks up their tax dollars despite the reality that the money flows in the opposite direction. The Harris voters who voted to stick it to them pointy-headed city-dwelling ivory-tower elites haven't gone away, and if the PCs end up in power, that part of their base will expect to control a lot of the agenda. I don't see Brown being as successful at suppressing the crazies as Harper was.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.
Of its elected MPPS, only five (discounting Hudak, who is resigning) are from the Harris days, and only of them one was a provincial minister back then. This, combined with brand new leadership means that it's safe to judge the party as it exists on its merits today, rather than bringing up the Harris boogeyman, just like I'm sure it's better to judge the BCNDP on its merits rather than bringing up fast ferries.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Give the people in Brantford a say in whether Toronto gets to improve service frequency, add routes, or spend money to maintain equipment and you'll see how much worse you can do.

Speaking as someone still unfortunately living in Brantford, whatever you can imagine as rock bottom isn't low enough.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

tagesschau posted:

Highway 407 was a bigger boondoggle.

How's that?

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast
Attention 30-something Toronto goons:

I found some erotic Knob Hill Farms fanfiction

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Of its elected MPPS, only five (discounting Hudak, who is resigning) are from the Harris days, and only of them one was a provincial minister back then. This, combined with brand new leadership means that it's safe to judge the party as it exists on its merits today, rather than bringing up the Harris boogeyman, just like I'm sure it's better to judge the BCNDP on its merits rather than bringing up fast ferries.

The first time the Conservatives tried to shake off the legacy of Harris was by selecting John Tory. Tory was a lovely leader for his own reasons and had some gaffes but the reason he only got one go as leader is largely because there was an internal revolt against him (lead, amusingly enough, by his future mayoral campaign manager, Nick Kouvalis). Then after this unprecedented internal uprising the party turned around and picked Tim Hudak, a Harris era MPP who ran two campaigns that closely emulated the trade-mark Harris era campaigning techniques and themes.

It looks like Brown might be trying to steer the party in a slightly new direction and we'll see how that turns out but it's absolutely fair to view the PC party up until this point as a continuation of the Harris-era party. That's a judgement based on how the party has acted since they lost power in 2003.

Part of the problem here is that the Harris era party was taping more directly into things that the base wanted to hear but which don't necessarily sell well with the rest of the electorate. There are people out there who were very excited by Tim Hudak saying he'd fire poo poo loads of public employees.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Muslim schools, chain gangs and 100,000 firings is why they lost the last 3 elections. OPCs suck so bad.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Ikantski posted:

How's that?

A private highway that is operated under a lovely lease agreement signed by said lovely government. Is that hard to understand?

At least in BC we have the intelligence to just have invisible tolls to pay for our infrastructure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

100,000 firings

Remember when they tried to walk this back by claiming they meant they would reduce the positions though attrition (as if that would somehow be better) despite the fact that they advertised the plan by gleefully handing out pink slips?

That was a good one.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

A private highway that is operated under a lovely lease agreement signed by said lovely government. Is that hard to understand?

At least in BC we have the intelligence to just have invisible tolls to pay for our infrastructure.

I get that, I just don't see how it's worse than the Hydro one sale. A convenience highway leased for 1b vs 14b of province wide electrical infrastructure permanently sold? H1 sale is objectively worse.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

THC posted:

So-called "cascadia" is the traditional territory of the Coast Salish peoples :colbert:

And they don't do eagle-feathered war bonnets, that's a Prairies thing. I'd ask my Coast Salish cousins what they think of this issue but I suspect some New Zealand dickwad copyrighting Cowichan sweaters is a more immediate concern.

At least the teachers weren't drunk and doing war whoops.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
Canada Post and the union have a tentative deal apparently.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Good. I hope the union wasn't who blinked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ikantski posted:

I get that, I just don't see how it's worse than the Hydro one sale. A convenience highway leased for 1b vs 14b of province wide electrical infrastructure permanently sold? H1 sale is objectively worse.

Absolutely, the scale is not the same and far fewer people are affected by the 407 nonsense. The issue is that the highway was built with public money, then leased to foreign private owners who have instituted incredibly high tolls (which keep the highway useful IMO). We lost both control of and revenue from an asset built with public funds for public use.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Ikantski posted:

Where did you get $1 billion from? As far as I can tell HW 407 cost $104 billion dollars and was leased for $3.1 billion dollars (for 99 years).

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
At least it wasn't "leased" to a major company for 990 years after promising to not do so and claiming that ownership of the right of ways was still being kept so the promise wasn't broken--such as what the BC Liberals did with BC Rail.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

hosed up that a highway cost 1/6 of Ontario's GDP

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Apparently the vast majority of that was obtaining land rights. Construction was only $1.6 billion.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I was on the 407 from Pearson today. It was fast and uncrowded, A++, would direct town car driver to take again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

Apparently the vast majority of that was obtaining land rights. Construction was only $1.6 billion.

That figure is, what, sourced to the PC government in the late 90s, referencing land purchases from the 1950s-1970s? I'd be skeptical of that figure unless I could see how it was calculated, I suspect it was inflated to make a point.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

That figure is, what, sourced to the PC government in the late 90s, referencing land purchases from the 1950s-1970s? I'd be skeptical of that figure unless I could see how it was calculated, I suspect it was inflated to make a point.

Yeah that was the source I found. I don't know why they'd make it look more expensive (wouldn't that make it look like even more of a ripoff?), but I find it difficult to understand the logic of "fiscal conservatives" at the best of times so maybe they did.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Pinterest Mom posted:

hosed up that a highway cost 1/6 of Ontario's GDP

GDP is what we make every year, the highway's cost was spread out over many years. So it's not as absurd as it sounds... but still probably overstated by a lot. Wikipedia cites a PC MPP from this issue of Hansard (featuring a bonus appearance by Tim Hudak talking about how he celebrated Library Day)

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.

Guy DeBorgore posted:

Look at y'all saying "native" people like it's the 90s, if you're gonna get outraged over primary school teachers dressing up for small children you might wanna get your terminology down.

By 2025 it's gonna be considered gravely offensive to reference Indigenous people in any way shape or form and it will also be offensive not to talk about them. The few Canadians who haven't fled to Cascadia will have duct-taped their mouths shut or else be called racist on the CBC's front page.

shut the gently caress up

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

linoleum floors posted:

shut the gently caress up

you reached back a whole page just to say that eh

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Isn't there also some kind of non-compete clause on the 407 lease meaning the province can't even build up other highways the ease congestion along the same/similar route?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Guy DeBorgore posted:

GDP is what we make every year, the highway's cost was spread out over many years. So it's not as absurd as it sounds... but still probably overstated by a lot. Wikipedia cites a PC MPP from this issue of Hansard (featuring a bonus appearance by Tim Hudak talking about how he celebrated Library Day)

I suspect it's probably something like 1950s cost + adjusted for inflation + cost of servicing debt on that amount (at a pretty high rate - 8% or so) for 30 years.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(Seriously looking back at old Ontario debt schedules is depressing. These are from the 2003 budget)

The average interest rate on Ontario debt in 2015 was ~3.5%.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 31, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys blah blah blah residential schools so natives get carte blanche forever on anything because of white guilt

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Remember when they tried to walk this back by claiming they meant they would reduce the positions though attrition (as if that would somehow be better) despite the fact that they advertised the plan by gleefully handing out pink slips?

That was a good one.

They announced it in Barrie, a city whose reliance on government jobs for a good chunk of employment ranks pretty loving high. It was magical.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

namaste faggots posted:

Guys blah blah blah residential schools so natives get carte blanche forever on anything because of white guilt

On a scale of 1 to miss universe canada 2015, how oppressed do you feel when you see white people with chinese tattoos?

https://twitter.com/UPofBeauties/status/678624021655789569

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Ikantski posted:

On a scale of 1 to miss universe canada 2015, how oppressed do you feel when you see white people with chinese tattoos?

https://twitter.com/UPofBeauties/status/678624021655789569

I love how they just had to position that particular face right in front of her crotch.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

The last residential school closed in 1986

tell us again what exactly you believe these Aboriginal people get 'carte blanche' on?

loving native privilege, I tell ya :jerkbag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

Squibbles posted:

Isn't there also some kind of non-compete clause on the 407 lease meaning the province can't even build up other highways the ease congestion along the same/similar route?

Yes, and the company that owns the 407 has the right to raise tolls as it wishes and force the Ministry of Transportation to act as a collection agency on their behalf. Amazingly, this lease has been interpreted to bind future legislatures (not the way parliaments are supposed to work), defying subsequent governments' attempts to bring the situation back to sanity.