Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Planet Vegeta was a very insular monarchistic society. Inbreeding was so rampant that fathers and sons were practically identical.

That also goes a long way to explain why half-Saiyans are so much smarter and stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Rodyle posted:

Rewatched a bunch of Abridged today, sort of curious, what're everyone's favorite abridged fights?

I think mine is 18 vs Vegeta. After that it's probably Goku vs Freeza and the Piccolo vs Imperfect fights.

I've just started on it, was not expecting there to be a sort of Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan ep in there! I can see why people like Abridged Nappa so much now.

They seem to be matching most of the Funimation dub voices so far as I'm aware, which I mostly know from Xenoverse now, is there a version of Recombe and Ginyu that they based their versions on, or did they just spin those characters off a different way whilst Guldo, Jeice and Burta stayed as they were? I know there are other english dubs out there, so maybe they come from there?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Takahata is in Xenoverse with his Abridged Nappa voice

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've just started on it, was not expecting there to be a sort of Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan ep in there! I can see why people like Abridged Nappa so much now.

They seem to be matching most of the Funimation dub voices so far as I'm aware, which I mostly know from Xenoverse now, is there a version of Recombe and Ginyu that they based their versions on, or did they just spin those characters off a different way whilst Guldo, Jeice and Burta stayed as they were? I know there are other english dubs out there, so maybe they come from there?

I think Recoome's voice was just a joke on wrestling because they already did a bunch of gay jokes with Zarbon and didn't want to seem one note.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Covok posted:

I think Recoome's voice was just a joke on wrestling because they already did a bunch of gay jokes with Zarbon and didn't want to seem one note.

The original dub has Reccoome doing big bragging things. That's where "The name's Recoome, it rhymes with doom..." thing is from. They just took the joke that was there originally and played it up extremely.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wasn't the dub thing originally that recoome was a big dumb oaf

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

wasn't the dub thing originally that recoome was a big dumb oaf

Yes, but he also had a big dumb catchphrase that lent itself to wrestling jokes and that was more fun for a one-off character.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That tends to be DBZA's thing. Long term characters are comically exaggerated versions of their canon personalities while one-offs are whatever joke seemed funniest at the time.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

That tends to be DBZA's thing. Long term characters are comically exaggerated versions of their canon personalities while one-offs are whatever joke seemed funniest at the time.

Exactly. Original 16 has a few scenes interacting with birds and being nice to nature -> Abridged 16 literally has Surfing Bird blaring in his head 24/7.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I kept hearing about Abridged so I checked it out - great stuff! Did Android 13 have a southern accent in the dub? The Abridged version is perfect.

Krillin has had the best moments from what I've seen so far.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I kept hearing about Abridged so I checked it out - great stuff! Did Android 13 have a southern accent in the dub? The Abridged version is perfect.

Krillin has had the best moments from what I've seen so far.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHNZ_EygVxU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So youtube has apparently changed some stuff that might gently caress over people on youtube soon.

That'll be fun to see break down. Taka is freaking out about it on twitter

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rhymestyle is too. Posting about how removing ads on a video about "an sjw (word filter lol) losing it" is censorship.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

So youtube has apparently changed some stuff that might gently caress over people on youtube soon.

That'll be fun to see break down. Taka is freaking out about it on twitter

Isn't it political/controversial stuff and they're just not allowing it to be monotized?

That's going to be a huge clusterfuck but it doesn't seem like it'll impact DBZA

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

https://twitter.com/PhillyD/status/771026030442090496

:qqsay:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Isn't it political/controversial stuff and they're just not allowing it to be monotized?

That's going to be a huge clusterfuck but it doesn't seem like it'll impact DBZA

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In a fit of nostalgia, I bought myself the entire Dragon Ball (not Z) series on DVD and I'm going to rewatch it all (previously I'd only seen what I could catch on the telly, which was most but not all of it, and that was a good few years ago). In the special features for the first disc, it has the Curse of the Blood Rubies OVA, and I assume that it (or subsequent seasons) will have stuff like Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle and Mystical Adventure as well. I've never seen any of the DB movies, so do they fit into the continuity of the series, are they re-adaptations of the manga which exist alongside the seires, or are they like the DBZ movies, where you can sort of fit them in if you make some allowances, but they're not really meant to?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

In a fit of nostalgia, I bought myself the entire Dragon Ball (not Z) series on DVD and I'm going to rewatch it all (previously I'd only seen what I could catch on the telly, which was most but not all of it, and that was a good few years ago). In the special features for the first disc, it has the Curse of the Blood Rubies OVA, and I assume that it (or subsequent seasons) will have stuff like Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle and Mystical Adventure as well. I've never seen any of the DB movies, so do they fit into the continuity of the series, are they re-adaptations of the manga which exist alongside the seires, or are they like the DBZ movies, where you can sort of fit them in if you make some allowances, but they're not really meant to?

The DB movies are weird in that they're half retellings of the series and half new content. They're basically altered retellings of the series but different enough to not just an adapation.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Movie 4 was made during the GT era as an anniversary thing, and retells how Goku met Bulma again among using other plot points from the original Dragon Ball. There's even a very, very loose reusing of a plot point from DBZ in there as well.

EDIT: Never mind, I just noticed you didn't include it as being a part of your set.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Aug 31, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

The DB movies are weird in that they're half retellings of the series and half new content. They're basically altered retellings of the series but different enough to not just an adapation.

Right, I see. As I say, the DB movies are unknown quantities for me - however, I actually ahve a lot of affection for the first few DBZ movies (off the top of my head, Dead Zone, Tree of Might, Lord Slug and Revenge of Cooler), and that's almost entirely because when DBZ made its big premiere on Cartoon Network, "Rock the Dragon" started up it and absolutely blew my mind because it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen, and all the weird movie footage they used in the credits was part of that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

My first experience with DB of any variety was Curse of the Blood Rubies at Blockbuster.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

I watched a Twitch Channel get banned live for streaming this week's episode. Don't stream DB Super as Overwatch apparently.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Bacontotem posted:

I watched a Twitch Channel get banned live for streaming this week's episode. Don't stream DB Super as Overwatch apparently.

a hard-learned lesson but a worthy sacrifice

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I thought Twitch was more lenient on that kind of stuff now, since they stream The Joy of Painting regularly on there.

Bob Ross would have liked Goku IMO.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Joy of Painting was fun to watch, but the real treat was to see the twitch chat playing along and treating the whole thing as a video game being played.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Raxivace posted:

I thought Twitch was more lenient on that kind of stuff now, since they stream The Joy of Painting regularly on there.

Bob Ross would have liked Goku IMO.

That probably has more to do with the fact that no one is going to claim copyright on that. It was a public access show down by a pretty chill guy whose now deceased. It's not like they are going to get a C&D over showing his work.

I know this thread isn't youtube chat, but I don't think DBZA has to worry, possibly. It seems that Youtube either a) wants to change its image to be more friendly to entice more advertising companies or b) advertisers complained about their videos showing up in front of content they did not want their brand associated with. DBZA is, for all intents and purposes, a parody of a cartoon show that exists in that weird legal area of "the owners of the rights neither endorse or deny their ability to release and monetize the work as long as it is indirect and not explicitly monetized," not something advertisers would have a real problem with their ad being shown in front of. I mean, sure, there are fights, but it isn't graphic violence: it's whats known in the ratings board as "cartoon violence" and is, generally, treated as less serious.

DBZA should be more worried about content id, if anything, since its prime for that triggering.

But, that's just my uneducated opinion.

Edit: Besides, they got a pateron giving them 10k a month. Sure, it's split amongst 7 people, but, as long as this isn't their fulltime job or something, they should be fine.

Oh, wait a minute...

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 1, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bacontotem posted:

Goku Black is defeated by Bulma riding in a DVA mech.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Isn't TFS primarily funded through Patreon? As long as Youtube's not actively taking videos down, they should be fine.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

If I recall correctly, Toei actually gets the ad money from DBZA.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Then... this might be a net gain for TFS. :v:

e: unless this throws off the balance that kept them able to do their thing. :ohdear:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Oh, obscene language can get you to lose monetization.

Oh, then they may be hosed then.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I was under the impression that they don't get any money out of DBZA itself, just their lets plays, the merch and their patreon. Now, if they get hit on their LPs then they'd be in trouble.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Covok posted:

Oh, obscene language can get you to lose monetization.

Oh, then they may be hosed then.

Language and it must be "advertiser friendly" so yeah this can go to hell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, regardless, this isn't taking videos down. It's just getting rid of monetization. TFS has pateron, merchandise, and can still use their let's plays so they should be fine.

Apparently, this is more because the advertisers wanted this, not youtube. That's worse because, in this circumstance, advertisers are customers buying ad space. So, if they're not buying, there really isn't anything you can do: even if another site cropped up, if they're not buying, it changes nothing.

Anyway, I remember thinking putting in a lot of new SSJ forms is what hurt later DBZ. Now, I love it since they're all so dumb. Super Sayian Red, Super Sayian Blue, Super Sayian Rose. I can wait till Super Sayian Jade and Super Sayian Plaid. Super is good.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Once we get Super Saiyans Grey, Green, Navy Blue, and Violet, Goku will finally be able to go Hyper Goku, and then he can double jump and stuff.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
I wonder if rose is achievable by goku and vegeta? They seem to be playing up blue as like the "real" super sayain tho I know how quickly that can change lol. I love th weirdly religious music that plays when they use God ki

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tbp posted:

I wonder if rose is achievable by goku and vegeta? They seem to be playing up blue as like the "real" super sayain tho I know how quickly that can change lol. I love th weirdly religious music that plays when they use God ki

Rose seems like it's less an ACTUAL Super Saiyan form and more something Black is calling one to gently caress with them. Who knows though?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Rose is the color-inverted version of Blue so odds are it's a form only Black will use

Lupus Rufus
Aug 11, 2008

Prepare for trouble!

And make it a double!
maybe Black's dark-purple aura mixed with normal super saiyan yellow aura and made a rose aura?? It probably is something unique to Black by way of whatever physiology allows him to use Goku's body, using goku's super saiyan, and then pushing himself somehow.

Iunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks
Black Rose, used to signify death or hatred, or alternatively pure devotion. Toriyama you magnificent bastard.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 1, 2016

• Locked thread