Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Cojawfee posted:

I think we've taken it too far nowadays though. If TNG were on today, Locutus would be a season long villain which is far too long.

Even back when I first watched DS9 all the way through (instead of catching random episodes during its first run), I was kind of surprised the Dominion only held DS9 for ~6 episodes instead of spending the whole season doing that plot (which also would have been too long).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

skasion posted:

Nana Visitor was loving Avery Brooks

I don't think that's true. I've not seen that before and Avery Brooks has been married for 40 years at this point.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

I'm sure I've heard wronger opinions than this, but at present I can't think of any.

Did you hear the way they talked on that show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Babylon 5 had fantastic plotting and abysmal dialogue. Or often, monologue, as the characters walk around practically giving speeches to the camera.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
And as I said earlier, by "writing" I mean "the words that we the audience hear," which are bad and are delivered by mostly mediocre actors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JMS and another writer teaming up to co-run a show could've made something amazing, really, if JMS stuck to the big picture and the other writer polished the lines. Pity it's probably much too late.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MikeJF posted:

Babylon 5 had fantastic plotting and abysmal dialogue. Or often, monologue, as the characters walk around practically giving speeches to the camera.
I love Babylon 5 but it has the most unintentional laugh-out-loud lines of any sci-fi show. I love the cheesy exposition especially when it's awkwardly repeated after a commercial break. Since if you rewatch you'll hear the same line rephrased within seconds.

Or when they have to remind the audience that there's a big war going on. So you'll get lines like "It's really serious now that the Shadows have gone on the offensive and taken over dozens of planets, plunging the alliance into a major conflict and sowing division between the members!"

There was a line like that given by Ivanova and I lost my poo poo.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Oh wow...Strange Horizons just published the only review of Star Trek Beyond that anyone needs to read. It's a bit of a gag, sure, but it's one of the few things I've read that articulates why none of these reboot movies have ever worked for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Marshal Radisic posted:

Oh wow...Strange Horizons just published the only review of Star Trek Beyond that anyone needs to read. It's a bit of a gag, sure, but it's one of the few things I've read that articulates why none of these reboot movies have ever worked for me.

:gowron:

Holy poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Met posted:

I don't think that's true. I've not seen that before and Avery Brooks has been married for 40 years at this point.

They had an affair.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
She called him Mr Brooks.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Marshal Radisic posted:

:jerkbag:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

This guy gets it. Another trek nerd trying to be edgy and say the movie is garbage. All the movies are overacted garbage with lame plots, that's what makes them Star Trek movies.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Marshal Radisic posted:

A BIT of a gag?

Jesus Christ, if this writer were more up his own rear end, he'd disappear into a subspace rear end bubble.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's a fun read, but...

Does he actually remember when any of the shows was on? DS9? TNG? Movie after movie? Even TOS?

It was no golden age. All those iconic moments he's illustrating to make his points are from episodes that people gave C grades and movies that were panned. It's only in retrospect that anything attains any kind of stature.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That may be one of the wankiest things I've ever read. It's awful.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Cojawfee posted:

This guy gets it. Another trek nerd trying to be edgy and say the movie is garbage. All the movies are overacted garbage with lame plots, that's what makes them Star Trek movies.

I was about to argue with you but then I counted. Even if you say 5 of the original movies are great (which is being generous), there are still more lovely Trek movies as there are good ones at this point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Lowen SoDium posted:

I was about to argue with you but then I counted. Even if you say 5 of the original movies are great (which is being generous), there are still more lovely Trek movies as there are good ones at this point.

I decided to go through all the movies

TMP: Lame Plot
TWOK: Overacted garbage
TSS: Lame Plot
TVH: Lame Plot
TFF: Overacted garbage and lame plot
TUC: Overacted garbage
Generations: Lame plot
FC: Overacted Garbage
Insurrection: Lame Plot
Nemesis: Overgarbage actplot
ST09: Lame plot
STID: Lame Garbage and overacted plot
STB: A good movie

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Cojawfee posted:

I did the same thing.

TMP: Not Star Wars
TWOK: Not Star Wars
TSS: Not Star Wars
TVH: Not Star Wars
TFF: Not Star Wars
TUC: Not Star Wars
Generations: Not Star Wars
FC: Not Star Wars
Insurrection: Not Star Wars
Nemesis: Not Star Wars
ST09: Not Star Wars
STID: Not Star Wars
STB: Star Wars

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Sorry, but ST09, ID, and Beyond are all star wars.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

WampaLord posted:

A BIT of a gag?

Jesus Christ, if this writer were more up his own rear end, he'd disappear into a subspace rear end bubble.

Look at the line below the copyright notice.

I liked it. It had lots of callbacks. I like callbacks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

complaining about overacting in a space opera is like complaining about getting beef when you order a hamburger

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

complaining about overacting in a space opera is like complaining about getting beef when you order a hamburger

Now that you mention it, why isn't it called a beefburger?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WickedHate posted:

Now that you mention it, why isn't it called a beefburger?

Oh my god. Because it comes from Hamburg.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
My grandmother once told me a story about being in England in the... late 20s? early 30s? and getting excited about trying this new 'hamburger', and then being bitterly disappointed that it was 'only a ground beef sandwich'.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

No, it was invented by a little old lady in Leningrad.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

WampaLord posted:

No, it was invented by a little old lady in Leningrad.

You're thinking of scotch. And dancing. And fire.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I'm just saying, if a vulcan crashlanded here tomorrow, they'd find it, ahem, most illogical that our hamburgers do not contain ham. :smug:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really kinda wish that Picard and the Enterprise-E would have showed up at some point in the Dominion War so we could have both crews teaming up, but they probably correctly guessed that Picard would steal all the thunder.

Likewise, I think First Contact should have had Sisko as Picard's foil, because of his history with Wolf 359 and his dislike of Picard. Have them butt heads and be rivals of sorts and more or less have Sisko replace the character of Lily.

"The line must be drawn HEAH! NO FURTHER!!!" is a great scene I love, but imagine how much better it would have been if Sisko was the one yelling "BLOW UP THE drat SHIP PICARD!" From Kirk to Picard and so on, each Captain has her or her own strengths, and Sisko is the best when it comes to yelling at people.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

WickedHate posted:

I'm just saying, if a vulcan crashlanded here tomorrow, they'd find it, ahem, most illogical that our hamburgers do not contain ham. :smug:

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

From Hell's heart, I stab at thee; For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

sorry I don't recognize shakesphere what do you think I am some kind of nerd???

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
It's true, the effect just isn't the same unless it's in the original Klingon.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

WickedHate posted:

What do they know... They can't even get mint right.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

if Sisko was the one yelling "BLOW UP THE drat SHIP PICARD!"

The Sisko might have just kicked Picard's rear end at that point, if he was really endangering the whole future.

I wonder how the Prophets feel about time travel like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Somehow Nick Meyer put together a workable script for WoK in 10 days after nobody else could get one to work. And he managed to turn in a better one than any other ST movie to date.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

WickedHate posted:

Also, these so-called steamed hams are clearly grilled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

How could american beef come from Hamburg?

Trent posted:

The Sisko might have just kicked Picard's rear end at that point, if he was really endangering the whole future.

I wonder how the Prophets feel about time travel like that.

There is a time travel orb.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Also frankfurters are not made from guys named Frank :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Data Graham posted:

Also frankfurters are not made from guys named Frank :colbert:

They were at least 45% before those drat safety regulations. Thanks a lot, FDR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Gammatron 64 posted:

"The line must be drawn HEAH! NO FURTHER!!!" is a great scene I love, but imagine how much better it would have been if Sisko was the one yelling "BLOW UP THE drat SHIP PICARD!"

That'd be a pretty satisfying scene, given that Picard hates the Borg for making him a Borg and Sisko hates Picard for having been a Borg. Sisko finally letting go of his desire for revenge would be a good trigger for Picard to realize he needs to do the same.

Although "See ya around, Ahab." is pretty good, too.