Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

The Dems are, and should be, very actively welcoming Jesus freaks of all kinds who actually give a poo poo about their fellow man regardless of their beliefs, circumstances, and/or appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's true. Look at the Clinton camp's strong anti-Muslim rhetoric and anti-abortion stances.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shbobdb posted:

The whole Hillary campaign has been going balls to the walls Jesus freak and it makes me very uncomfortable.

She is playing up both her and Kaine's religion, but it's positive interpretations of Christianity that they're focusing on. Social justice and compassion and charity, not the sort of things you see from the Right like the prosperity gospel and judgement and Christian identity.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wanting to punish your political rivals is a bad instinct people need to get over.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Shbobdb posted:

The whole Hillary campaign has been going balls to the walls Jesus freak and it makes me very uncomfortable.

Sorry....what? What on earth are you talking about? Are you some kind of Amazing Internet Atheist who freaks out about any positive mention of religion?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Sorry....what? What on earth are you talking about? Are you some kind of Amazing Internet Atheist who freaks out about any positive mention of religion?

The person you are quoting has argued that stabbing people is an accepted form of free speech so I wouldn't worry too much.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Pakled posted:

positive interpretations of Christianity

...is probably a phrase that should be avoided.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
This is the kind of thing I'm seeing from my Mexican friends about the Trump/Pena meeting:

From what I can tell, if Pena wants to turn this into a boon for his popularity he's gonna need to seriously Chaos Dunk on Trump or else he's just going to be tied to him and dragged down.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No less than Tim Kaine, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Jimmy loving Carter have all personally emailed me saying the config campaign is way behind on its find raising goal and if they don't reach that fundraising goal tonight we're all hosed.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

greatn posted:

No less than Tim Kaine, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and Jimmy loving Carter have all personally emailed me saying the config campaign is way behind on its find raising goal and if they don't reach that fundraising goal tonight we're all hosed.

The what campaign?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

lol

Her party's not the one trying to repeal Johnson Amendment.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It may be a Pavlovian response, but religion in politics makes me pretty uncomfortable. I understand there has to be some lip service for the rubes but the seemingly sincere religious language of the Hillary campaign (as contrasted with Bill and Obama's lip service) feels really icky to me.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Ogmius815 posted:

He is yes. He's an opiate of the masses type.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/health/indiana-lead-contamination/

Lol the same EPA administrative division, Region 5, is who hosed up in Flint hahahahahahahahahaha

everything sucks and is terrible

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pakled posted:

She is playing up both her and Kaine's religion, but it's positive interpretations of Christianity that they're focusing on. Social justice and compassion and charity, not the sort of things you see from the Right like the prosperity gospel and judgement and Christian identity.

And I can assure you that, speaking as someone who goes to a left-wing Christian church, it's been going over very well. There's a lot of frustration and even a bit of real anger in left-wing Christian denominations and churches over how Christianity in the public media means Tea Party, White Lives Matter, and Westboro Baptist.

It's part of why Tim Kaine has been going over so well with Hispanics, at least down here in Florida. Here's America's grandpa who speaks Spanish fluently, has done legit missionary work in poor countries, is a practicing Catholic, and draws a distinct line between what he believes religiously and what he believes is best governance. That last bit is very important for a lot of people.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

It may be a Pavlovian response, but religion in politics makes me pretty uncomfortable. I understand there has to be some lip service for the rubes but the seemingly sincere religious language of the Hillary campaign (as contrasted with Bill and Obama's lip service) feels really icky to me.

What are your thoughts on third wave feminism?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cythereal posted:

And I can assure you that, speaking as someone who goes to a left-wing Christian church, it's been going over very well. There's a lot of frustration and even a bit of real anger in left-wing Christian denominations and churches over how Christianity in the public media means Tea Party, White Lives Matter, and Westboro Baptist.

It's part of why Tim Kaine has been going over so well with Hispanics, at least down here in Florida. Here's America's grandpa who speaks Spanish fluently, has done legit missionary work in poor countries, is a practicing Catholic, and draws a distinct line between what he believes religiously and what he believes is best governance. That last bit is very important for a lot of people.

It's also why I think Mormons are getting a bit more accepted and not viewed as that "weird cult out of Utah" anymore. A few issues not withstanding (LBGTQ in particular stands out), they are very generous, do legitimate mission work, and believe that treating the unfortunate with respect will work out better in the long run than viewing them as scum of the earth.

Having one of them as one of the two people who could also potentially make it into the Oval Office also helps.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

your posts feel real icky to me

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shbobdb posted:

I see a distinction between the sort of left-wing Christianity that Clinton and Kaine are advocating and the ideology of the religious right. Clinton and Kaine's brand of Christianity is all about their religion informing their values, which in turn leads to policies that foster fairness and inclusiveness, whereas right-wing Christianity is more about their religion's laws applying directly to government policy based on a literal, or at least more strict, interpretation of the Bible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loving atheists, man.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Yeah uh it's perfectly OK to follow whatever religious beliefs you want so long as they are not used for oppression. Darn that first amendment.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SSNeoman posted:

What are your thoughts on third wave feminism?

I think it can be a little too post-structuralist, its greater inclusivity to racial and sexual minorities represents a great improvement on the more rigid second wave platform.

However, I always thought that Hillary "Pants Suit" Clinton was generally considered an emblematic second wave feminist.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Shbobdb posted:

This is really stupid, hth

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Discussing Atheism and Politics makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I think of atheism now all I can think of is TheAmazingAtheist, hot oil and a a banana.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

Obama can quote and discuss Niebhur from memory and at length. Dude is pretty Christian.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shbobdb posted:

whoops, you forgot to not be stupid

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pakled posted:

I see a distinction between the sort of left-wing Christianity that Clinton and Kaine are advocating and the ideology of the religious right. Clinton and Kaine's brand of Christianity is all about their religion informing their values, which in turn leads to policies that foster fairness and inclusiveness, whereas right-wing Christianity is more about their religion's laws applying directly to government policy based on a literal, or at least more strict, interpretation of the Bible.

Most left wing Christians I know keep a gun and a Bible by their bedstand for the same reason: they hope they never have to use it but it's there in case of an emergency. Clinton's more active Christianity feels like an appeal to a poisoned brand to me.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shbobdb posted:

Most left wing Christians I know keep a gun and a Bible by their bedstand for the same reason: they hope they never have to use it but it's there in case of an emergency. Clinton's more active Christianity feels like an appeal to a poisoned brand to me.

you're right, the country is doomed the day we elect a Christian president

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

BrandorKP posted:

Obama can quote and discuss Niebhur from memory and at length. Dude is pretty Christian.

Yeah, privately. Aside from some lip service or when he was demonstrating that he's not a secret muslim it wasn't "in your face" like it is in the Hillary campaign. "Vote for me because I love Jesus" is not something a democrat should be saying at the national level. It's gross.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

What's wrong with a gun and a bible? Did they accidentally leave them out and you saw them?

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Christianity is a brand that is still going strong in America.

fits my needs posted:

Discussing Atheism and Politics makes me uncomfortable. Whenever I think of atheism now all I can think of is TheAmazingAtheist, hot oil and a a banana.

That's actually our new logo.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

fits my needs posted:

That sounds like a very painful kink

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Complex_Sports/status/771019362966921216

If you don't know who Rae Carruth is, you should google him for a surprise.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

you're right, the country is doomed the day we elect a Christian president

I appreciate this post.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Shbobdb posted:

Yeah, privately. Aside from some lip service or when he was demonstrating that he's not a secret muslim it wasn't "in your face" like it is in the Hillary campaign. "Vote for me because I love Jesus" is not something a democrat should be saying at the national level. It's gross.

How loving stupid are you? Obama has bee openly and explicitly Christian on many occasions, and that's not even close to the Clinton campaigns pitch.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

WoodrowSkillson posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/health/indiana-lead-contamination/

Lol the same EPA administrative division, Region 5, is who hosed up in Flint hahahahahahahahahaha

everything sucks and is terrible

The government, ladies and gentlemen.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

It might matter to understanding all of his foreign policy actions that he is a Christian Realist. It's a big loving deal.

neoliberal
Aug 10, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois

Shbobdb posted:

What's wrong with loving Jesus?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/Complex_Sports/status/771019362966921216

If you don't know who Rae Carruth is, you should google him for a surprise.

Holy loving poo poo. Rae Carruth is a legitimate monster.

I love the NFL but I hate the ownership so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

He also knows all about Ka-Zar and Conan and other 70s comics stuff.

• Locked thread