Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

When I was a kid the United Methodist Church tried to indoctrinate me in an after school program where I pasted a bunch of cotton balls on a picture of Moses to give him a beard.

I was raised lutheran and we made macaroni pictures, the horror, the horror...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

If a core part of my messaging was constantly calling for revolution and smashing the Five Olds, people would absolutely have a right to call me out on it and tone it down.

Why?

Like if you ran for president on the platform of "captitalism is hosed and I want to do anything I can to lessen its impact and improve things for others", do you unironically think you should be silenced?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The problem is while it leaves the original number of early voting days intact, it also removes the minimum hour requirement so individual county election boards which are all majority republican can vote to reduce hours or limit the number of early voting sites, as some already have.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

that's one heck of a legacy for Scalia - "The World Was Literally A Better Place With Him Gone"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Shbobdb posted:

I just want the crazy parts of a politician not to intersect with their policy decision making and (ideally) for them not to foster, encourage and drive their crazy beliefs.
A) I, sbbobdb, a "communist", say gently caress liberation theology soundly.

B) this is literally Kaine's position on abortion, but that doesn't stop you from screaming about how his faith is being shoved down your throat.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

im an atheist and the constant christian messaging can at times be annoying, and it think its bullshit how you pretty much could not run for political office as an atheist.i also have of opinions on religion and poo poo.

these concerns barely effect my life and rarely if ever do i ever them thought unless its specifically in a conversation on the issue of religion.

Hilary's religious nature is of 0 concern to anyone.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I would honestly enjoy a debate over Clinton's rhetoric, which is why I keep asking for specific words, sentences, paragraphs, or speeches to debate.

Sadly all we get from the b-school commie is a false appeal to authority from David Brooks of all people

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

A Winner is Jew posted:

I was raised lutheran and we made macaroni pictures, the horror, the horror...

You're not Jewish? I assumed you were cause of the username and your old Hebrew Hammer avatar.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

im an atheist and the constant christian messaging can at times be annoying, and it think its bullshit how you pretty much could not run for political office as an atheist.i also have of opinions on religion and poo poo.

these concerns barely effect my life and rarely if ever do i ever them thought unless its specifically in a conversation on the issue of religion.

Hilary's religious nature is of 0 concern to anyone.

I dislike strong religious arguments that imply the superiority of the religion over others from political officials. Anyone who says 'we need to make this a Christian nation" or whatnot straight-up makes me genuinely uncomfortable.

But if someone is merely arguing from the position of their faith for good works or whatever then that's their position. There's no meaningful difference to me between "we should help the poor because that is what Jesus would do" and "we should help the poor because it's morally justified and right."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Yeah. There's enough legitimately evil stuff in the world today where if somebody wants to be compassionate and care for their fellow man/woman I don't really care why they're doing it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WampaLord posted:

You're not Jewish? I assumed you were cause of the username and your old Hebrew Hammer avatar.

Long story, but I married a jew and there is a strong possibility that my grandmother was an adopted jew which would make me one by default.

Mostly I just thought it was a fun play on words though since i registered like a week after my wife and I saw it on netflix.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

William F Cuckley posted:

The problem is while it leaves the original number of early voting days intact, it also removes the minimum hour requirement so individual county election boards which are all majority republican can vote to reduce hours or limit the number of early voting sites, as some already have.

I believe the phrase is: "Better than nothing." While early voting is probably going to be reduced in this case, the lack of an ID requirement is huge. It also sets a precedent that says "You gently caress with this and we'll shut it down."

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Yeah I mean this is a country where religion has been used as one of the main weapons to fight tooth and nail against every single progressive movement. The left is, for the first time perhaps since the Civil War, pairing religion with a real call for a more just society. Progressives should celebrate that.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ImpAtom posted:

Why?

Like if you ran for president on the platform of "captitalism is hosed and I want to do anything I can to lessen its impact and improve things for others", do you unironically think you should be silenced?

If I kept shoehorning Mao into every speech I gave on BLM, I could see people saying I should tone it down. My views on Black Liberation may be informed by Maoist philosophy but there is no reason to bring it up all the time. I could also understand ardent capitalists being made very uncomfortable by an outspoken Communist and it seriously eroding their support of my platform.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/BarbaraBoxer/status/771058027986202624

dang

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

This is why I'm not particularly afraid of Trump's chances. I'm uneasy about it, sure, but Hillary hasn't begun to fight yet.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Munkeymon posted:

Well the Vikings are hiring all of a sudden...

Didn't the Vikings fire Kluwe over some minorly woke poo poo he said?

Surprise, the nfl is not a progressive institution.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ron Jeremy posted:

Didn't the Vikings fire Kluwe over some minorly woke poo poo he said?

Yes and no. He was an average, if not below average punter in the year prior to him being released, so it's easily argued it was because of that.

Really, I think it's a bit of both, partially because he was vocal about things that he "shouldn't be", partially because wasn't as good as he once was.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ron Jeremy posted:

The backstage politics of the Michael Sam fiasco definitely speak to that

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Trabisnikof posted:

I would honestly enjoy a debate over Clinton's rhetoric, which is why I keep asking for specific words, sentences, paragraphs, or speeches to debate.

Sadly all we get from the b-school commie is a false appeal to authority from David Brooks of all people

What's there to talk about on her rhetoric? She's not known as a good speaker. Pretty much all of her speeches follow the same script: it's a perfectly serviceable technocratic infodump where Jesus being real and telling her to do things is included in along with a list of precise figures and accomplishments. It's jarring and weird and leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

where Jesus being real and telling her to do things is included

I found the part where you're making poo poo up.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Shbobdb posted:

it's a perfectly serviceable technocratic infodump where Jesus being real and telling her to do things is included

This has never happened, just fyi.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
drat, some people's redtext avatars are really appropriate huh.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

What's there to talk about on her rhetoric? She's not known as a good speaker. Pretty much all of her speeches follow the same script: it's a perfectly serviceable technocratic infodump where Jesus being real and telling her to do things is included in along with a list of precise figures and accomplishments. It's jarring and weird and leaves a seriously bad taste in my mouth.

Lol you complain that we won't let you critique her rhetoric then when given that space, just say "uh nothing to say but she sucks end of story"

Also can you quote once where she actually said Jesus told her to do something (ala evangelicals)?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/la-na-trailguide-updates-watch-live-trump-holds-press-1472671686-htmlstory.html

Trump starting

e: this poo poo SUCKS i want fireworks

emdash fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 31, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

this translator is not amazing

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

She says stuff like "My methodist faith tells me that we should help others" (paraphrased)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
so far nothing good, we'll see if trump can avoid saying something really dumb

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

so far nothing good, we'll see if trump can avoid saying something really dumb

I can't tell at all if this guy is on Trump's side or not

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Both LA times and NBC feeds (seems to be the same one really) are crap for video but the audio is fine.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What a surprise, Peņa Puto says we need more industry and factory investment in Mexico.
He's also talking smack about central/south american immigration through Mexico to get through to the US.

Also drugs and guns are bad.

Cartels gonna love this

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

theflyingorc posted:

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/771079283347300353

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

He followed that with "even so, stuff about non-Mexican immigrants"

I thought that American politicians said nothing, this guy is saying absolutely nothing

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

theflyingorc posted:

He's arguing we need more cooperative work to protect the frontiers, because Mexico's basically a waystation now for Central/South americans as they go to the promised land.

He dropped the line about sovereign nations having the right to protect their borders.

So he hasn't quite said build that wall, but his rhetoric is very protectionist.

OH HO HO HO HO HO, Mexicans are a hardworking and respectable folks (*cough*notlikethemdarksalvisamirite*cough*)

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

He's not. He's just avoiding litigating disagreements, which is mature if not the most politically savvy thing for him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/771079829143883776

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So Nieto is actually going to help the guy 98% of his country hates?

He's that much of an idiot?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

He followed that with "even so, stuff about non-Mexican immigrants"

I thought that American politicians said nothing, this guy is saying absolutely nothing

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

He's not. He's just avoiding litigating disagreements, which is mature if not the most politically savvy thing for him.

It's this. He's pushing back, but being very very diplomatic about it.

Trump's turn.

Sounds sedated.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Night10194 posted:

So Nieto is actually going to help the guy 98% of his country hates?

He's that much of an idiot?

He's not helping him, but he's not going after him directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
holy hell, Trump sounds like he's about to drop dead at any minute

• Locked thread