Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Capcom Arcade Cabinet All in One DLC is on sale, at long last, on XBox 360, and is backwards compatible on XBox One, if anyone does any retrogaming on those consoles. 17 games total, includes Gun.Smoke, Ghosts n' Goblins and 1942/43. Been eyeballing these for a while but 30 goddamn dollars was too much for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
This is pretty crazy! All this music sampling chat got me to listen to some random SNES songs that I haven't heard in forever, and I caught another sample no one else on the internet seems to have caught!

This Final Fantasy IV song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuKydFsoBQ

was sampled in an Insane Clown Posse song released in 1994 believe it or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Fzrn3bpk4&t=119s

Starts at 2 minutes exactly. This is kind of nuts because I don't think anyone sampled video games back in 1994, plus this wasn't "discovered" on WhoSampled from what I can see.
It sounds like they simply adjusted the pitch slightly is all!

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 31, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

More like no one listens to ICP

But my non-lovely answer is that those do sound very similar if not the exact same

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Here's the first song to sample a video game—from 1975!

Gentle Giant - Time to Kill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWcWhD32nI

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 31, 2016

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

More like no one listens to ICP

But my non-lovely answer is that those do sound very similar if not the exact same

Everyone was a stupid teenager once.

But yeah their producer was infamous for sampling really weird and uncommon stuff.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Good news for everyone who bemoaned the NES Visual Compendium's lack of interview material: they announced they're now working with the Untold History of Japanese Game Developers guy. Thanks a bunch, monkey paw!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Election time would be a good time to release Socks the Cat Rocks the hill hint hint.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
What's the most absurd vidya merch/memorabilia?

Probably this.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's not Mischief Makers! That's not Mischief Makers at all! :colbert:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

So I feel like I've spent roughly one third of my waking time the two years I've lived in Tokyo stalking out good deals at Book-Off locations. Now that things are much more stable, and I have more space, I had been thinking about getting more old stuff - picked up a PS2 a while back, but hadn't gone much older.

And then I went to check out a Book-Off and found a Super Famicom, all cables, two controllers, for an incredibly good deal. Still need to inspect it a bit at home, but it's not yellowed, the controllers looked almost brand new, and if I'm lucky it won't smell like the retirement home for used Mild Sevens.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Castle of Illusion HD is being delisted at the end of the week (September 2), go buy that poo poo if you have any interest in playing it ever again. (It's on X360, PS3, PC and mobile, PC's the only version with 60FPS.)

Update: MS made ths game a backwards-comaptible title for XB1, so if you think you'll ever want to play it there, buy it before the end of the week.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
I can say without a doubt that the game I have played the most on the Super Nintendo is Tecmo Super Bowl. So many hours put in with friends. So many bets won and lost. Controllers thrown and tables overthrown. The greatest moments are when you are right on the N-zone, Battle of Berlin, and you stop the offense. That's where the s*** gets real.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Code Jockey posted:

Decided to watch a longplay of Final Fight to see if there was some MLG pro tier strat for dealing with him, and, uh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm3OqLXBt2I&t=616s

Longplays aren't pro strats. They're tool-assisted runs played blind by people who don't know anything about the game. Not to mention poo poo 2007 encoding practices. You want Replay Burners for the real thing.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Everyone was a stupid teenager once.

I listened to actual music as a teenager. :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pretty positive whoever is playing Final Fight is familiar with it and not cheating.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah I thought TAS runs were clearly labeled as such typically?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ofecks posted:

Longplays aren't pro strats. They're tool-assisted runs played blind by people who don't know anything about the game. Not to mention poo poo 2007 encoding practices. You want Replay Burners for the real thing.

That is absolutely not what a longplay is. A longplay is simply a full run of a game, generally without commentary. Hush.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

That is absolutely not what a longplay is. A longplay is simply a full run of a game, generally without commentary. Hush.

Yeah. There's a huge variety in long plays, too, from super skilled people showing off to guys just muddling through as a basic walkthrough.

I occasionally use them as reference guides when I just need to know what to do in a section (rather similar to using one to find a good Sodom strategy).

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

https://www.youtube.com/user/cubex55/about

World of Longplays posted:

Almost all of the videos are tool-assisted!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

I know this is gonna blow your mind, but World of Longplays is not in fact the only source for them.

vv correct indeed

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 31, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tool-assisted also doesn't automatically mean some kind of frame-perfect TAS, it probably just means for longplays "yeah, if I do something incredibly stupid and game over, I'm gonna rewind and edit that out."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is pretty crazy! All this music sampling chat got me to listen to some random SNES songs that I haven't heard in forever, and I caught another sample no one else on the internet seems to have caught!

This Final Fantasy IV song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJuKydFsoBQ

was sampled in an Insane Clown Posse song released in 1994 believe it or not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_Fzrn3bpk4&t=119s

Starts at 2 minutes exactly. This is kind of nuts because I don't think anyone sampled video games back in 1994, plus this wasn't "discovered" on WhoSampled from what I can see.
It sounds like they simply adjusted the pitch slightly is all!

But yeah their producer was infamous for sampling really weird and uncommon stuff.

Hmm, I don't buy it. I'm willing to bet there's some old school public-domain piece (or something lost to the ages) which has just ingrained itself in our collective memory as like "circus music" and both Final Fantasy and ICP both used that same theme. Doesn't mean ICP was copying FF or even aware of it.

Like, that's just generic "Clown music". And you can see why both FF and ICP would go for a circus clown type sound.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ofecks posted:

So did I. Real music was Wu-Tang and Gravediggaz and Public Enemy and Onyx and if you don't like that you get the bozack!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Hmm, I don't buy it. I'm willing to bet there's some old school public-domain piece (or something lost to the ages) which has just ingrained itself in our collective memory as like "circus music" and both Final Fantasy and ICP both used that same theme. Doesn't mean ICP was copying FF or even aware of it.

Like, that's just generic "Clown music". And you can see why both FF and ICP would go for a circus clown type sound.

Possible I guess but the FFIV song even has the organ thing in the same repetition.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Sep 2, 2016

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I know Wii was last gen, but whatever. Does anyone know if there ever was a Hylian shield skin or anything sold for the Wii nunchuck? I know there was a gold crested one for club Nintendo in Japan. But I mean an actual Hylian shield looking one. The super nerd in me thinks that would be cool. I'm not artistic enough to airbrush or paint a nunchuck to look like one either. Would go great with the gold Zelda Wiimote.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

The bivert/backlight mod was a lot of fun so I did another. I want one in every color now.

Fleedar fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 1, 2016

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fleedar posted:

The bivert/backlight mod was a lot of fun so I did another. I want one in every color now.

Oh that is awesome.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Natsume USA unearthed a few old Pocky & Rocky promo shirts and threw them on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=natsume_inc&_sop=10

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
They must be trickling stuff out, they put out sealed SNES games a while ago.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fleedar posted:

I... I think your gameboy might have turned evil there.. :stare:.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fleedar posted:

Holy poo poo that needs a Virtual Boy decal right now

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I noticed a goon in SA Mart is selling their Sega Nomad that was in the process of being given the LCD mod. I want to get it, but how hard is it to solder the new lcd screen to get it working? Don't think I solder anything since high school!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah. There's a huge variety in long plays, too, from super skilled people showing off to guys just muddling through as a basic walkthrough.

Or standing in Mike Dawson's bathroom for minutes, constantly.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Rirse posted:

I noticed a goon in SA Mart is selling their Sega Nomad that was in the process of being given the LCD mod. I want to get it, but how hard is it to solder the new lcd screen to get it working? Don't think I solder anything since high school!

It's not terrible if you have a compatible screen, though I honestly think the Nomad screen looks alright as it is once you get the brightness right.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 1, 2016

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Elliotw2 posted:

It's not terrible if you have a compatible screen, though I honestly think the Nomad screen looks alright as it is once you get the brightness right.

Yeah I watching a video, and honestly the only tricky part is putting the four cables to the board. I always wanted a Nomad as a kid, so it would be cool to do this.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

As it is? I don't know, everyone I've seen at least needed capacitors fixed or something, because they looked a lot worse than when new.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Wow a new thread!!

How is that Everdrive GBA?

I just got mine and came across a familiar name while looking for fun romhacks.
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1083/

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wrong thread.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Got my Everdrive GBA today. Gave it a quick spin before work with an old 8gb microsd I had lying around and my DS Lite. Works as advertised. UI seems intuitive. Not much else to say.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

This might be the appropriate thread for this. I have just acquired a CTX CVP-5468NI, manufactured December 1992, off the side of the road. It's in perfect condition, except when I plug it into my Win8 laptop and boot it up the screen is all hosed up (and extremely green, despite it being an RGB monitor) and there are black bars on either side of the picture. After fiddling with it for a bit, I determined that by setting the contrast down, I can get it to display a legible (but duplicated, and juxtaposed onto itself) picture of my desktop. However, after being on for a while the picture starts to get messed up, beginning at the top of the screen as it slides leftward until the whole picture smears into a static-y, horizontally vibrating mess. If I set the contrast lower, it will reverse this process and I can get the picture back, but only for a little while until the process occurs again, and eventually I run out of room on the contrast knob and it just goes black (weirdly enough, I can get flashes of picture when I'm moving the contrast knob near the end, but not when I let go of it, it goes back to black).

I downloaded a driver off the Internet which consists of an ICC profile and an INF driver. I applied the ICC profile to the monitor in my display settings, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. I installed the INF file, but it also doesn't appear to have done anything and I can't find it in the driver list if I try to update the display driver for the monitor. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it/how I could fix it or should I see myself out to SH/SC?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Squeegy posted:

This might be the appropriate thread for this. I have just acquired a CTX CVP-5468NI, manufactured December 1992, off the side of the road. It's in perfect condition, except when I plug it into my Win8 laptop and boot it up the screen is all hosed up (and extremely green, despite it being an RGB monitor) and there are black bars on either side of the picture. After fiddling with it for a bit, I determined that by setting the contrast down, I can get it to display a legible (but duplicated, and juxtaposed onto itself) picture of my desktop. However, after being on for a while the picture starts to get messed up, beginning at the top of the screen as it slides leftward until the whole picture smears into a static-y, horizontally vibrating mess. If I set the contrast lower, it will reverse this process and I can get the picture back, but only for a little while until the process occurs again, and eventually I run out of room on the contrast knob and it just goes black (weirdly enough, I can get flashes of picture when I'm moving the contrast knob near the end, but not when I let go of it, it goes back to black).

I downloaded a driver off the Internet which consists of an ICC profile and an INF driver. I applied the ICC profile to the monitor in my display settings, but it doesn't appear to have done anything. I installed the INF file, but it also doesn't appear to have done anything and I can't find it in the driver list if I try to update the display driver for the monitor. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong with it/how I could fix it or should I see myself out to SH/SC?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3577352 <---retro-pc thread but to be completely honest it sounds broken as gently caress. some people in that thread or this thread might have different opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8Q0s95SRXM

• Locked thread