Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

How obtainable is Whispering Ice at the start of a league? I haven't really paid attention to it before, but it looks like a pretty cool build.

There was (and I guess still may be?) a Whispering Ice prophecy that I have to imagine tanked the price last league. What was it like in Perandus, though? I don't really want to commit to a build that is going to have me playing something else for 100 hours before I can switch over to using the thing I want.

Some other builds I'm considering:

Oro's Flicker, thought that has the same availability gate as above. Also, it's Flicker Strike - not sure how long I could play that after watching some vids.

Spark? How's spark? I know it got nerfed in 2.3 but I think it was still ok and I like spamming the poo poo out of the screen with some lightning.

Blade Vortex - the changes seem to be pretty strong overall. Might as well take advantage of Poison still being really strong?

I like the idea of Reave, but in practice find it far too annoying to maintain. Dropping stacks feels so bad. Magma Orb buff might be interesting but that skill is clunky as hell to actually use.

I guess that's it. Melee doesn't seem to have any really huge draws, and I've played most of the other fun spells that are still pretty good and don't want to run it back on Tornado Shot or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

anyone have a cool ice trap build?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
So the more and more I plan out my hierophant the more and more it actually seems like a good idea. This is scary for me because I usually just run with whatever for my first character of a league.

This is what I'm planning on right now. I still need to move some things around probably.

Going to run with Arc / Spell Echo / Lightning Penetration / Controlled Destruction in my hat, eventually a Geofris and ending with probably a Vertex or a good rare.

Hopefully I will get a Pledge of Hands and the Repentance gloves a few days into the league, so I can end up with Arc / Spell Echo / Lightning Penetration / Faster Casting / Controlled Destruction / Added Lightning.

Only going to run with Wrath for auras, with it inside an Essence Worm. Clear Mind jewel for extra spellpower. 40% MoM with a huge fuckoff mana pool for extra defense.

Should be pretty cool!

edit: gently caress me I forgot controlled destruction

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 31, 2016

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

MerrMan posted:

Oro's Flicker, thought that has the same availability gate as above. Also, it's Flicker Strike - not sure how long I could play that after watching some vids.

Oro's is always dirt cheap.

Homo Simpson
Oct 21, 2014

by Smythe
Lipstick Apathy
would love to play this game if I didn't have terrible internet.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Social Media posted:

Probably because of all the induced seizures.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Social Media posted:

Same with WI, those things are a chaos at maximum almost immediately.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Awesome! posted:

anyone have a cool ice trap build?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1601772

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
do trap builds pretty much all need to be Shadow because of Saboteur?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

do trap builds pretty much all need to be Shadow because of Saboteur?

None of my trappers are sabs.

You use a Sunblast belt and you get almost the same effect as chain reaction. You can toss in two cheap construction jewels and make them into grenades that trigger on landing immediately.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Vasudus posted:

You use a Sunblast belt and you get almost the same effect as chain reaction. You can toss in two cheap construction jewels and make them into grenades that trigger on landing immediately.

OTOH there's no reason not to go saboteur unless you're doing something weird :v: Saboteur gets huge bonuses to traps that are hard to make up for with other ascendancies (though they have the obvious disadvantage of having no defensive bonuses aside from blinding)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Vasudus posted:

Oh neat, thanks!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Non-saboteurs run into cooldown walls though, especially if you run the Trap support gem.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

funmanguy posted:

Flicker strike seems pretty good right now.

Just because of the splash buff or what?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
So warchief totems, any done this before?

I'm seeing Chieftain, Berzerker, Hierophant, and Ascendant all as options. Ascendant mainly seems to be facebreakers + bringer of rain/abyssus and run 3 totems (or 4 with Skirmish quiver), Hierophant runs 3 but the other Ascendancy points are quite meh, and the others use a big rear end mace or disfavor and only run 2.

Anyone have any opinions on which one is better? Seems like its Chieftian -> Hieropahnt -> Ascendant -> Berzerker in survivability.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bugsy posted:

I'm seeing Chieftain, Berzerker, Hierophant, and Ascendant all as options. Ascendant mainly seems to be facebreakers + bringer of rain/abyssus and run 3 totems (or 4 with Skirmish quiver), Hierophant runs 3 but the other Ascendancy points are quite meh, and the others use a big rear end mace or disfavor and only run 2.

Anyone have any opinions on which one is better? Seems like its Chieftian -> Hieropahnt -> Ascendant -> Berzerker in survivability.

Don't run skirmish quiver. It's a trap. Run great old one's ward so you can use shield nodes to scale your damage and attack speed. Plus the block is nice.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

dis astranagant posted:

Don't run skirmish quiver. It's a trap. Run great old one's ward so you can use shield nodes to scale your damage and attack speed. Plus the block is nice.

Thats what I was thinking, it only look useful for getting 2 totems before you can get over to ancestral bond.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Count Uvula posted:

OTOH there's no reason not to go saboteur unless you're doing something weird :v: Saboteur gets huge bonuses to traps that are hard to make up for with other ascendancies (though they have the obvious disadvantage of having no defensive bonuses aside from blinding)

Indeed, Saboteur is a tremendous boon to clear speed because of the trap cooldown reduction. The fact that it also frees up your belt and a couple jewel slots is gravy.
I think it's pretty hard to justify running a trapper that isn't Saboteur, but not impossible.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're running bladefall trap which I imagine most people are, you just use a binos for poison prolif. Never had a problem with trap cooldowns that way.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Bugsy posted:

Haven't played a pure warchief totem build myself, but this one looks pretty darn good.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm doing some looking around for my new build, any guesses at whether Eye of Chayula or the new fancy ring is gonna cost more? Since I'm new and have never played CI I dunno if the nice ES boost for the ring is gonna be worth losing some resist, 30% IIQ and that handy attributes bonus for a worse anti-stun mod. I guess there's the free ring slot vs free amulet slot to consider too though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I need a build for new expansion that isn't:
-trapper
-necromancer
-earthquake
-tornado shot

and also is relatively cheap, any suggestions?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

StashAugustine posted:

So I need a build for new expansion that isn't:
-trapper
-necromancer
-earthquake
-tornado shot

and also is relatively cheap, any suggestions?

Be part of the 90% that will run Blade Vortex.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
So if I'm just trying to jam uber lab ASAP to grind out some cash early in the league, is trapper the way to go? If yes, which flavor is best? I played EQ all last league, really don't want to this league.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
For those of you who care, and for the rest who don't, I finished Divining my Wand today!

-> TO ->

Divines in Standard are ridiculous right now, something like 1:32chaos or 2.5:1exalt, so it couldn't have come at a better time!

End result-DPS from start to finish: When I bought the Wand: 246 pdps worst divine: 239 pdps currently: 277 pdps highest theoretical maximum: 288 pdps

When I first started trying to figure out the affixes, I came across an autohotkey script that I highly suggest people try out, especially new players,: CLICK HERE FOR LINK TO SCRIPT on pathofexile.com It's from the official forum so no need to worry about breaking the rules.
Basically, you just hover your cursor over an item and hit " Ctrl + C " The script opens a small white window with detailed information about the affixes, tiers, dps, affix brackets, and more. It also copy's to your clipboard. Why do I mention new players? It's extremely useful knowing what suffixes/prefixes have been used so that you can have an idea of what you or someone else, can master craft on it. The other thing, Affix Tiers can be used as a quick and dirty method of checking if an item might have value and/or be worth trying to sell. If the item has multiple lower Tiers, it might be worth pricechecking, or at the least, asking someone in chat.

And here is the ridiculously long and pointlessly detailed backstory:
I bought the Wand really early in Prophecy because It is one of the better non-crafted wands I've seen. At the time, it was 136% IPD, 19-38 Phys, 415 Accuracy, and 38% Crit. Immediately when I saw it up for trade, I went to check the affixes, and it turns out that 19-38 Physical damage could be either Tier 2 Tempered (16to22 - 33to38) or Tier 1 Flaring (19to25 - 38to45). I asked the owner whether he had divined it, he said he had not, so I went ahead and bought it fearing someone else might. Anyway, I tried a bunch of different scripts, forums, and vendor tricks to try and figure out a way to tell the affix brackets; but, as it turns out, there are none. Only information I got was from master crafting attack speed and checking that it vendored for an aug. I then proceed to play a couple different wander builds, CI, Low-Life, and barrage volley, while I stockpiled divines.
Finally, about a week ago, I decided it was time, and slapped it with a divine. It took me a few seconds to register what happened because the physical damage only went up by 1 point, 20-38, but that one point was enough to confirm my joy for it had to be flaring. Up until this point, I hadn't really thought about the other affixes, but I realized there was a lot of possibilities given the increased physical damage, accuracy, and that a hybrid IPD/Accuracy affix had to be there. It took about 5 divines, and recording each one, to figure out what the other affixes were. The other major indication was that Tier 1 Accuracy is ilvl 80, and the Wand is only ilvl 79; therefore, I knew it had to be T2 accuracy. I was able to narrow it down to 2 possible scenarios, and by the 8th or 9th divine knew that it had to be: Tier 6 Physical%, Tier 3 Hybrid, and of course, Tier 2 Accuracy, Tier 1 Physical, and Tier 1 Crit Chance. The max rolls for each are: 120-148 IPD%, [19 to 25] - [38 to 45] Physical, 334 - 419 Accuracy, and 36-38% Critical Strike Chance. It took about 14 divines to get where it is right now, and based on the cost of one Divine, I have no problems with saying I'm done. I have to say it was pretty fun figuring out all the possible affixes; although, I'm 100% certain I would not feel this way if it had proven to be Tempered instead of Flaring.

:smith: REST IN PEACE FROST WALL / KINETIC BLAST: 1.3.0 to 2.4.0 Never Forget :smith: - The time has come to ascend into Valhalla, and take your final resting place among your long forgotten ancestor, Power Siphon.

10bux fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Aug 31, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i cant decide between ice trap and bladefall/poison traps. i think ice trap is pretty but bladefall/poison seems to be stronger

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you can make the ice traps look like pretty flowers.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

baram. posted:

Ice trap flower mtx is fantastic.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

baram. posted:

i know! i have 120 points to spend too. i have stayed away from buying skill mtx so far though because i have done different stuff every league.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i got mine in the gamble boxes and had to make an ice trapper for it

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bugsy posted:

Ice trap flower mtx is fantastic.

Yeah, that's going straight into the 1c Buyout tab

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i cant decide between ice trap and bladefall/poison traps. i think ice trap is pretty but bladefall/poison seems to be stronger

neither. lightning trap and arc traps are the most fun

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Nosam0819 posted:

would love to play this game if I didn't have terrible internet.

Doesn't stop me.

Grats on the wand dbk. Turned out really nice.

Also if you want to hard with bladefall traps go Sab and when you get all the gear you need, switch to assassin for much much more damage. Also trap cool down gem is very good and I used it in place of either controlled destruction of trap and mine damage unless I was doing really hard maps or Uber.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have forgotten how lovely Arc single target damage is, even with a level 20 storm call.

NEW IDEA TIME

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Go Arc Miner, shoot 6 arcs into someone all at once.

Yeah, I might do that, the trees for ice trapper, lightning trapper, bladefall trapper, and arc miner should be fairly similar, I'll play around with them this first league. I just like the idea because it works well with the essence mechanics: set up your arena, and nuke the mobs as soon as you click them.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've never done Arc mines. Or really any mine build. Maybe I should try.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Firos posted:

Yo can I get a ginvite? Name is the same as here.

Done

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
I wish they would change how animate weapons works to not be miserable as a playing experience. :(

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whats the easiest bow build now? Nado?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rianeva
Mar 8, 2009

Can someone invite me to the guild, please? Character name is Marchani.

• Locked thread