Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Why would I want to educate myself about something I don't care about? As long as it's not in my face, it's not an issue. What would I gain out of devoting time and energy to this task?

If you don't care about it, then stop shitposting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

jk all Christians are evil except minorities because that's not politically correct

Read the article and ask an intelligible question. You haven't done anything but skim it, I've taught dozens of discussion sections on the article and it's obvious you haven't engaged with it.

Why do you think that?

I think politics and religion ought be considered non-overlapping magisteria so when people start grounding their politics in religion I get an icky feeling like when people start grounding their science in religion. Given the sunderings of modernity, they are and ought be separate.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

Why would I want to educate myself about something I don't care about? As long as it's not in my face, it's not an issue. What would I gain out of devoting time and energy to this task?

Because you react in incredibly stupid and unpleasant ways when someone has the temerity to be openly religious where you can see them.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

pacmania90 posted:

If you don't care about it, then stop shitposting about it.

I just said that I don't like the religious tenor of Hillary's campaign and people jumped on me for it. I don't see why mixing religion and politics should be viewed as a good and desirable thing. Evidently this is a very wrong opinion since people are up in arms about it.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Look at those goalposts go! Man, they are really movin'!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Darth Walrus posted:

Because you react in incredibly stupid and unpleasant ways when someone has the temerity to be openly religious where you can see them.

I don't see how saying, "I don't like a thing" is incredibly stupid and unpleasant.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Why do you think that?

I think politics and religion ought be considered non-overlapping magisteria so when people start grounding their politics in religion I get an icky feeling like when people start grounding their science in religion. Given the sunderings of modernity, they are and ought be separate.

I'm having trouble parsing this. I looked up magisteria, but what on earth is "sunderings of modernity" ?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Shbobdb posted:

I just said that I don't like the religious tenor of Hillary's campaign and people jumped on me for it. I don't see why mixing religion and politics should be viewed as a good and desirable thing. Evidently this is a very wrong opinion since people are up in arms about it.

God, you're an idiot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shbobdb posted:

It's not 'mixing religion and politics' it's 'using your own sense of right and wrong, often formed by cultural backgrounds like religion, to guide your choices as a leader'

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

Because mixing religion and politics isn't an inherently a bad thing like you seem to think based upon all your prejudiced as gently caress posting about it.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/771121029863378944

Lol I have no idea why Nieto didn't say that during the presser but

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pacmania90 posted:

I'm having trouble parsing this. I looked up magisteria, but what on earth is "sunderings of modernity" ?

it's a cool way for smug idiots to sound smarter than they would normally by saying 'I choose rationality :smug:'

You can thank Gould for that little nugget I think?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I don't see how saying, "I don't like a thing" is incredibly stupid and unpleasant.

It becomes it when you can't provide a good reason for not liking a thing (stupid) and will nevertheless keep going on about your dislike for it ad nauseam (unpleasant).

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

It is if your understanding of that thing is based upon incredibly stupid and prejudice reasons.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

How in the gently caress do you people get trolled by Shbobdb monthly, each time with a different posting gimmick, and literally never realize that he is never sincere in this thread?

I guess it's the Amergin effect

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jazerus posted:

How in the gently caress do you people get trolled by Shbobdb monthly, each time with a different posting gimmick, and literally never realize that he is never sincere in this thread?

Don't slander Amergin like that, he's in another league entirely.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Why do you think that?

In this context atheism is a religion just like Christianity, and you are projecting your beliefs onto politics. You saying religion should be expunged from politics is no different than a conservative politician seeking to ban abortion or get Creationism taught in schools.

You don't seem to have the self awareness to realize you're grounding your own politics in religion. You're doing exactly what you're bitching about but from an atheist perspective.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Shbobdb posted:

It takes two people to have an argument.

Please let it die.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Jazerus posted:

I enjoy calling someone being a loving idiot a loving idiot, even if they're only pretending to be a loving idiot :shrug:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jazerus posted:

I guess it's just easier to think someone's legit dumb rather than having a ~master plan~ of "hah now everyone thinks I'm a bigot AND a total dipshit, owned losers lol"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

Why do you think that?

They're really not though. Humans usually aren't able to completely disassociate those two realms, especially since both involve things like morals, ethics, social responsibility, etc.

Great troll posts though, 5/5.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Pastrymancy posted:

True or false:

Trump remembers the content of his discussion with Nieto.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

pacmania90 posted:

The sunderings of modernity, per Hegel, are:

1) Fact from Value
2) Theoretical inquiry from practical inquiry
3) Scientific explanation from purpose

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/771126030631403520

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

I'm glad you treasure your ignorance even though I think it's dumb as gently caress but could you do it out of sight and away from government??

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

THE

ART

OF

THE

DEAL

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Pellisworth posted:

In this context atheism is a religion just like Christianity, and you are projecting your beliefs onto politics. You saying religion should be expunged from politics is no different than a conservative politician seeking to ban abortion or get Creationism taught in schools.

You don't seem to have the self awareness to realize you're grounding your own politics in religion. You're doing exactly what you're bitching about but from an atheist perspective.

How is atheism a religion in this context?

You seem to agree that religion and science are and ought be distinct. Why shouldn't religion and politics be distinct?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

diga El Donald: "Arzy mas"

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pellisworth posted:

Clinton is the type of Christian for whom after-church Sunday potlucks are the pinnacle of religious expression, rather than holding funerals for aborted fetuses or catching a manly-looking woman going into the lady's room.

The after church potluck is responsible for the propagation of the cauliflower casserole so somebody has a lot to answer for

Also lol somebody so indoctorinated to hate religion doesn't see the irony of saying people should never talk about it in public and KEEP IT IN THE CLOSET WHERE IT BELONGS.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Pastrymancy posted:

How did the Mexican president not see this coming, Trump lying about the content of a closed door meeting is practically a free bingo square

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Shbobdb posted:

How is atheism a religion in this context?

You seem to agree that religion and science are and ought be distinct. Why shouldn't religion and politics be distinct?

Because politics is informed by ethics and morality, and most Americans' ethics and morality are at least nominally informed by their religion?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Donald Trump camp responds strongly, denying the the harshest possible terms the statement of the Mexican president

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/771126296604712961

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

TheBigAristotle posted:

True or false:

Trump remembers the content of his discussion with Nieto.
Again, I'm not sure how you can qualify a feeling as "true" or "false".

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm glad you treasure your ignorance even though I think it's dumb as gently caress but could you do it out of sight and away from government??

What would the value of such knowledge be?

And thankfully, I'm not running for office right now.

The one time I did run a (write in) campaign for office religion (or lack thereof) didn't enter into the campaign. In retrospect, that may have been a mistake since I placed 3rd to "Zombies". If I had opted to run a dirty campaign and slander practitioners of voodoo, I might have placed 2nd.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Donald Trump camp responds strongly, denying the the harshest possible terms the statement of the Mexican president

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/771126296604712961

"Nothing to see here. Move along."

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I was watching MSNBC this morning, and a Trump surrogate kept responding to every question about this stupid move by saying "Donald Trump is the REAL leader of the U.S.!"

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
That was a big nothingburger of a visit. Now I got blue balls. Where are my reality TV-esque antics?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

That was a big nothingburger of a visit. Now I got blue balls. Where are my reality TV-esque antics?

Good news!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

A Bag of Milk posted:

I was really hoping it was going to be wonderful. I'm disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Maybe Nieto said it in Spanish.

• Locked thread