Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah but what if we traded that for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk-Iruh7x1M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

CPColin posted:

That'd be a pretty satisfying scene, given that Picard hates the Borg for making him a Borg and Sisko hates Picard for having been a Borg. Sisko finally letting go of his desire for revenge would be a good trigger for Picard to realize he needs to do the same.

Although "See ya around, Ahab." is pretty good, too.

It's the best Trek movie that never happened.

Oh well, at least it exists in my head.

Trent posted:

:gowron:

The Sisko might have just kicked Picard's rear end at that point, if he was really endangering the whole future.

I wonder how the Prophets feel about time travel like that.

The prophets sort of exist outside of linear time and have pretty much no concept of past, present or future so I'm sure it would be no big deal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

CBS seems to be listening a little bit, they've added a more expensive (by $4) no commercial tier to all access.

They've just improved the chances that I'll subscribe during the ST: Discovery run greatly.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah. I'll pay for it if I can help new Star Trek exist again and not have commercials.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I haven't "had TV" in like 15 years but how does it all work now? You pay for cable, then you pay for a special channel or package of channels, then on top of that you have to pay to watch online, but there's still ads?

Will this be on netflix in canada?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Cojawfee posted:

I decided to go through all the movies

TMP: Lame Plot
TWOK: Overacted garbage
TSS: Lame Plot
TVH: Lame Plot
TFF: Overacted garbage and lame plot
TUC: Overacted garbage
Generations: Lame plot
FC: Overacted Garbage
Insurrection: Lame Plot
Nemesis: Overgarbage actplot
ST09: Lame plot
STID: Lame Garbage and overacted plot
STB: A good movie

There's a YouTube channel (CinemaSins) that presents "Everything wrong with [movie] in X minutes".

It's basically a guy bitching about stuff he doesn't like and/or minor bloopers/mistakes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's a YouTube channel (CinemaSins) that presents "Everything wrong with [movie] in X minutes".

It's basically a guy bitching about stuff he doesn't like and/or minor bloopers/mistakes.

It's a bad channel.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Baronjutter posted:

I haven't "had TV" in like 15 years but how does it all work now? You pay for cable, then you pay for a special channel or package of channels, then on top of that you have to pay to watch online, but there's still ads?

Will this be on netflix in canada?
Some of the networks allow you to access their online portals once you sign in with your Cable Provider of Choice's email.

Some cable providers allow you access to their online streaming/in demand through the same method.

Some of the premium networks (HBO) let you access their stream without cable after paying a nominal monthly fee.
And then the big boys of online content ( Hulu, Netflix) provide content for $X.xx a month.

Netflix is just a smorgasbord of content that rotates in and out. Hulu is more for people that like to follow current TV but maybe want to watch Flash on a Friday night instead of live on Tuesday or whatever. Hulu is also backed by tv networks and was developed in counter to Netflix.

Usually these all have online ads after a set period (10 minutes or so), though some offer a more expensive subscription that's Ad-free.

And Amazon Prime streaming is provided with the Prime fee.

There's also Sling.tv, which offers basically a cable-style live stream with various packages and tiers and per-network streaming/rewind options.

Oh, and just like Cable, the various services are balkanized and have exclusive/original content so you Gotta Pay 'Em All if you want South Park (Hulu) and Stranger Things (Netflix) and Man in the High Castle (Amazon).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's a bad channel.

I figured that out after a couple of videos.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hulu is losing all the CW stuff this season so it will be a ton less useful to me. On the bright side, the new Netflix deal has the stuff go up 8 date after the final episode of the season airs.

Now if only CBS would add 5.1 audio to their streams.

I'll have to figure out if all access has any other exclusive content that i would want to binge while Discovery is happening to really make it with it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I can't stop grinning after hearing Avery Brooks yelling "JEAN-LUC, BLOW UP THE drat SHIP" in my head.

This is the greatest thing the thread has even given me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It really is a great idea, but I don't think you could introduce Sisko and his motivations and history with the Borg to a larger audience without either a) eating up a large chunk of the first third of the movie or b) dumping it all in a really clunky bit of exposition that would bring the film to a screeching halt.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It really is a great idea, but I don't think you could introduce Sisko and his motivations and history with the Borg to a larger audience without either a) eating up a large chunk of the first third of the movie or b) dumping it all in a really clunky bit of exposition that would bring the film to a screeching halt.

Just have Sisko on the defiant in command shouting "what the hell is the Enterprise doing here?! Hasn't Picard caused enough problems with the borg!" and then you can have Crusher tell him to calm down after the whole "fight to the last man" order where he tells crusher he was at wolf 359 and he lost his wife and he won't see Picard's actions cause the deaths of any other federation citizens... then the blow up the ship speech.

Shouldn't add more than 10 minutes, but is a terrible idea overall since Sisko is a much better captain who never would have allowed for the time travel poo poo to happen in the first place.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The problem is 99% of the movie audience won't know who the hell this angry black man is because trek movies are made mostly for "movie audiences" and they are terrified to having anything that might only be understood by fans.
And then half the fans who do get it will get upset that sisko is in the movie why isn't it janeway she didn't ram white guilt BS down our throats on her much better show.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Honestly you wouldn't need to spend that much time explaining who Sisko is. Just have a couple throwaway lines about how his wife died and he blames Picard.

The audience doesn't need to know about the prophets or the dominion or DS9 or that Sisko even has his own show. All they need to know is that he is another Starfleet Captain that is mad at Picard for his wife dying. And you could maybe add that he's Worf's commanding officer now so Worf is kinda torn between loyalty to both Picard and Sisko.

The Borg don't show up in DS9 at all aside from the pilot episode. And his history with the Borg involves the same episode of TNG that First Contact already references. The audience wouldn't need to see a single episode of DS9 to understand who he is or what his motivation is. Or even 10 minutes of exposition. Just a couple throwaway lines of dialogue.

The audience really doesn't need to know who the angry black man is besides the fact that he's also a captain and he's mad at Picard that his wife died. And that he's actually a good guy and not an antagonist and eventually the two rival captains learn to respect and forgive each other.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 31, 2016

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Sorry, in Gene's future, Sisko wouldn't be mad at Picard because humans are past being mad at each other.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The General posted:

Sorry, in Gene's future, Sisko wouldn't be mad at Picard because humans are past being mad at each other.

Wasn;'t Riker like super pissed at his father during an episode where Roddenberry was in charge?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

To be fair his father was never there, and when he was, he was cheating at the most advanced of martial arts.

Gene's whole "in the future people are always happy and free of conflict" is total Bullshit. I think I've heard Gene was against that episode where that kid loses his mom. Because in the future it's just "whelp mom died. Back to calculus." - Jimmy the 4th grader.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The General posted:

To be fair his father was never there, and when he was, he was cheating at the most advanced of martial arts.

Gene's whole "in the future people are always happy and free of conflict" is total Bullshit. I think I've heard Gene was against that episode where that kid loses his mom. Because in the future it's just "whelp mom died. Back to calculus." - Jimmy the 4th grader.

Gene's feelings on any given TNG episode varied by the hour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Another bit of evidence proving my theory that once something is big enough to have its own culture surrounding it, the original creator should be banned from giving any input ever again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I thought it came out that was more of his lawyer being a poo poo?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Tighclops posted:

I thought it came out that was more of his lawyer being a poo poo?

It's a bit of both. Gene was terrible and his lawyer was even worse. I think every single one of those uplifting gene moments where he says "in the future, no one will worry about blank" is just him realizing someone found a flaw in his vision so he just shits out a generic "In the future, no one poops anymore, so that's why there aren't any toilets."

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Sisko showing up makes a hell of a lot more sense than Worf, especially in the Defiant.

Gene's feelings on the show were pretty bad. Gene's feelings on Ferengi dong is HILARIOUS, though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

There is a time travel orb.
It's really not clear that it was more than a time-viewing orb, or at most a closed predestination paradox orb.

Time travel with The Sisko is even more of a problem than other people because he's part Wormhole Alien. I guess the Prophets always knew he was Gabriel Bell all along.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mortanis posted:

Sisko showing up makes a hell of a lot more sense than Worf, especially in the Defiant.

Gene's feelings on the show were pretty bad. Gene's feelings on Ferengi dong is HILARIOUS, though.

Not to mention his feelings on four breasted Troi's dong-gina.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If Iron Man and Captain America can fight in a movie so can Sisko and Picard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

WickedHate posted:

Not to mention his feelings on four breasted Troi's dong-gina.
This keeps coming up, is there an origin for it - I'm not saying it's at all implausible, mind you.

I think the big goofy utopian vision is a lot of what makes our star trucks useful, but things like "nobody grieves" make no sense. "People are much more emotionally mature and so the grieving process would likely proceed in a healthy way unless interrupted by CONFLICT," that I'll buy.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was in the same pre-production document as the Ferengi dong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's been in my head all day so I had to rewatch it but holy poo poo the scene from the DS9 finale when Dukat is all "AND WHO WILL STOP ME" and Brooks just takes his line and loving shreads the entire scene to pieces when he gives us that broken yell of "I.......AM!"

Brooks needs all the loving awards.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

WickedHate posted:

It was in the same pre-production document as the Ferengi dong.

My favorite part of TNG writer stories is everyone learning to routinely overlook Gene's flavor text.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Just wrapped up Voyager 4x02, and good God is the first shot of 7o9 in her silver catsuit just terrible.

CHECK OUT THESE SPACE TITTIES.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The decline of Star Trek ratings in the late 90s-early 2000s directly coincided with an increase in Star Trek cup size.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rhyno posted:

They had an affair.

Citation needed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Met posted:

Citation needed.

It's been discussed quite a bit in the Trek threads in the past.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I honestly don't remember any of those threads ever citing a source either.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The threads cite themselves. By the time anyone has dug through all the citations, my Star Trek paper on Gene Roddenberry being a big ol pervert will be in all the journals.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe Rhyno is Avery Brooks?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Maybe Rhyno is Avery Brooks?

If I could emote like that man I wouldn't spend so much time on the internet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, one week from tomorrow is the exact 50th anniversary of TOS premiering (Sept 8th.)

I'm actually kind of suprised there aren't more special events on TV. History had a "50 Years of Star Trek" special on last week (they are re-airing it this week) and Smithsonian Channel has the "Building Star Trek" special on Sunday which is going to go over the restoration of the Enterprise model. Other than that, there's pretty much nothing else on that I can find aside from a Star Trek marathon on BBC-A.

Kinda thought there would be more stuff on. Hell, CBS should have really thrown something together that they could have used to cross promote Discovery.

CBS should be airing "The Man Trap" at 8:30pm next Thursday damnit. It's the middle of the goddamn summer, they can afford to take the hour to celebrate history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bull3964 posted:

CBS should be airing "The Man Trap" at 8:30pm next Thursday damnit. It's the middle of the goddamn summer, they can afford to take the hour to celebrate history.

The funny part is that the orginal series aired on NBC. (Roddenberry and company actually offered it to CBS, who passed because they already had a sci-fi show in development: Lost In Space!)

CBS only owns it now because of various corporate mergers and acquisitions that somehow assimilated the remains of Desilu.