Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

poo poo poo poo poo poo

I'll end up buying a console just for this game just like every other previous Zelda instalment

any confirmation about where the game lies on *THE TIMELINE* ?

I read somewhere there were clues about it happening an undetermined time after wind waker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Xad posted:

I dunno why you think this, but I at least never bothered to try a skyward strike on him, which apparently stuns him with lightning? so it was tense as gently caress and I loved every minute of it.

Yeah i beat him with pure dodging and sneaking in small hits here and there. Felt like a dark soul boss, was a lot of fun.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Mikojan posted:

poo poo poo poo poo poo

I'll end up buying a console just for this game just like every other previous Zelda instalment

I read somewhere there were clues about it happening an undetermined time after wind waker?

Well the main clue to it being post WW is the fact that the Koroks are around with the same character designs, though they're not named so it's possible that it's just recycled design.

There's a bunch more that people have probably collected somewhere, but one I remember is that rock salt can be gathered from the environment, seemingly indicating that the great sea has receded.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

The Great Sea is actually freshwater! :eng101:

Whizbang posted:

3D is literally in the name of the system.

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or if you actually don't understand the fundamental differences between 2D and 3D Zelda games.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 1, 2016

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mikojan posted:

*gets out notes*
Based on observable evidence from E3 and elsewhere, I have come to the conclusion that Breath of the Wild does in fact take place after a convergence of the three timelines.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Xad posted:

I dunno why you think this, but I at least never bothered to try a skyward strike on him, which apparently stuns him with lightning? so it was tense as gently caress and I loved every minute of it.

See I figured that out and destroyed the boss on my first attempt without being hit. A final boss where I literally take no damage isn't much of a boss.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It takes place in a fourth new timeline where link hosed the booby witch

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Zo posted:

The third dimension is time.

I think SS was the best Zelda so far. I never read anything about it and forgot about it until this year. The controls were so good that i wish they would keep it for future games. After i beat it i watched a speedrun of it and it was absolutely insane too, with crazy precise motion control.

I'm half way through it and I completely agree with this.

I actually really love the controls and everything else.

Found the first Ghirahim fight tough though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
For the few who it might matter to, Nintendo just put Skyward Sword up digitally on the Wii U store today.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

SylvainMustach posted:

I'm half way through it and I completely agree with this.

I actually really love the controls and everything else.

Found the first Ghirahim fight tough though.

Just channel your inner bushido hanzo spirit. Different enemy but:

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

MokBa posted:

I can't tell if you're being intentionally obtuse or if you actually don't understand the fundamental differences between 2D and 3D Zelda games.
I feel like top-down/third-person are better descriptors of the two styles than 3D/2D given that the last four portable titles have used polygonal graphics.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Electromax posted:

For the few who it might matter to, Nintendo just put Skyward Sword up digitally on the Wii U store today.

Is there any way to play it with the game pad?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

greatn posted:

It takes place in a fourth new timeline where link hosed the booby witch

the who?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

No, SS requires motion controls.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The whole reason SS is just a digital release of the Wii version is most certainly because a remaster would have to be designed for different controls. So yeah, definitely no dice on using anything but a Wiimote.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
the Technoblins are my favorite zelda badguys and I hope they show up in botw

edit: also running over the Magma Spume with the boulder was supremely satisfying.
I love this game and I hope everyone who didnt play it downloads it now that it's on the VC

SylvainMustach fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 2, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Die Laughing posted:

Like anything Wii or Wii Mode, you can use the gamepad's screen as a tiny TV. It even has a built in sensor bar.

But because SS doesn't use Classic Controller controls, you cannot use the buttons/sticks on the Gamepad to control the game

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Honestly it will probably look better on the game pad than it ever did on an HDTV

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Is the eShop Skyward Swords going to have all the really annoying pick up prompts?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Is the eShop Skyward Swords going to have all the really annoying pick up prompts?
It's just a digital version of the Wii game so yes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So the new Zelda Amiibo announced will have special functionality in BotW. My guesses:

Wind Waker Link: Shiekah Slate wind controlling ability

Wind Waker Zelda: Light Arrows

Ocarina Link: Song of Storms

8-bit Link: White Sword

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
My guesses:

Every Link amiibo - refill arrows
Zelda amiibo - refill hearts

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hedrigall posted:

My guesses:

Every Link amiibo - refill arrows
Zelda amiibo - refill hearts

The 8bit link amiibo should at least make your arrows look all 8-bit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BillmasterCozb posted:

The 8bit link amiibo should at least make your arrows look all 8-bit

If so, it should cost you one rupee per arrow like in LoZ.

I always assumed the rupees were sharp and used as arrowheads.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

ImpAtom posted:

No, SS requires motion controls.

And even if it didn't, nope. You can't, say, map it as wiimote 1 in Kirby Return to Dreamland either, and that game only uses the dpad, buttons, and I think maybe 'shake' (but the gamepad can do that)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Trent posted:

I always assumed the rupees were sharp and used as arrowheads.

Me too!

Honestly, for the NES, it was a very elegant system. Unless you were saving for the Blue Ring, money was fairly abundant and outside of the ring and a few other big, hopefully one-time purchases, "pay n' spray" archery wasn't a terrible idea. Plus, if we're being honest, the bow becomes somewhat obsolete after you get the wand.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Beat Twilight Princess.

It does nothing to change my opinion that 2D Zelda > 3D Zelda.

Twilight Princess did slowly grow on me, admittedly. I still think it's more than a little weird that the first time this Link meets Ganon, he kills Ganon, with only a few paragraphs of interaction between them. This Link seems to just take a lot of stuff very nonchalantly. Oh, I am the legendary hero? Ok. Oh, I have part of the Triforce in me? Ok. Oh, this manpig motherfucker is my sworn eternal rival because my ancestors hosed with him eons ago? Ok.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Maybe that Link had a rough childhood and has learned to take things in stride after years of his father beating the poo poo out of him with a fire poker over minor infractions.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Maybe that Link had a rough childhood and has learned to take things in stride after years of his father beating the poo poo out of him with a fire poker over minor infractions.

He's just happy to not be stuck herding goats and looking after the village kids. Not to mention looking heroic for Ilia.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker give you an unskippable cutscene of Ganondorf just thoroughly loving up those two respective Links in the midgame (Wind Waker does it twice!) to inspire a certain level of dread of Ganondorf/desire for revenge in the player. Twilight Princess doesn't even have him on camera except in flashbacks until the final boss fight. This Link had literally never even met Ganondorf until the very end of his story. Hell, he only met Zelda twice for about a combined 10 minutes or so.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Patter Song posted:

Beat Twilight Princess.

It does nothing to change my opinion that 2D Zelda > 3D Zelda.

Twilight Princess did slowly grow on me, admittedly. I still think it's more than a little weird that the first time this Link meets Ganon, he kills Ganon, with only a few paragraphs of interaction between them. This Link seems to just take a lot of stuff very nonchalantly. Oh, I am the legendary hero? Ok. Oh, I have part of the Triforce in me? Ok. Oh, this manpig motherfucker is my sworn eternal rival because my ancestors hosed with him eons ago? Ok.

3d Zeldas all have really loving good combat sequences (TP had a bunch, specifically.) but they're usually short and few in number cuz it's not the focus, while the "2d" stuff has better in general dungeons/exploring.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Both Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker give you an unskippable cutscene of Ganondorf just thoroughly loving up those two respective Links in the midgame (Wind Waker does it twice!) to inspire a certain level of dread of Ganondorf/desire for revenge in the player. Twilight Princess doesn't even have him on camera except in flashbacks until the final boss fight. This Link had literally never even met Ganondorf until the very end of his story. Hell, he only met Zelda twice for about a combined 10 minutes or so.

This is one of Twilight Princess' flaws, the inclusion of Ganon and Zelda. Both really have no place in the story, and I honestly would have preferred that it be about a Link getting drawn into some alien internecine shenanigans. It would have been a good chance to explore the concepts of all the Links who born, live their lives, and die without ever knowing about their lineage's destiny.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jonas Albrecht posted:

This is one of Twilight Princess' flaws, the inclusion of Ganon and Zelda. Both really have no place in the story, and I honestly would have preferred that it be about a Link getting drawn into some alien internecine shenanigans. It would have been a good chance to explore the concepts of all the Links who born, live their lives, and die without ever knowing about their lineage's destiny.

I think Zelda works fine in Twilight Princess, the game makes it very clear she's not much more than a deposed ruler held captive rather than the absolute lynchpin to the plot like other games. All you really do is give her a chance to actually fight back without it getting her people killed.

Ganondorf was completely unnecessary to the plot though.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Playing Zelda games for the plot is like having sex just for the exercise. You'll get what you came for, but that's not really the main attraction.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Give me a middle-aged Link, someone who ignored the call as a young man but can't run from it any longer. His abilities improve as he gets back into shape and loses his dad bod :v:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Give me a middle-aged Link, someone who ignored the call as a young man but can't run from it any longer. His abilities improve as he gets back into shape and loses his dad bod :v:

I like to think that Link to the Past Link's uncle is another Link who just never had to deal with Ganon in his time.

It'd explain his miraculous "recovery" after spending the entire game dead.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Tomorrow morning GameXplain's Beat of the Wild analysis is gonna go up. Just for reference they'll take a 2 minute trailer and make a 30 minute analysis out of it. For this video that have dozens of hours of direct feed video and hands on gameplay.

They've been working on it since June

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

what was that tingle hgame called?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

greatn posted:

Tomorrow morning GameXplain's Beat of the Wild analysis is gonna go up. Just for reference they'll take a 2 minute trailer and make a 30 minute analysis out of it. For this video that have dozens of hours of direct feed video and hands on gameplay.

They've been working on it since June

I mean, Matpat just throws poo poo to a wall and sees what sticks, but these guys read way too much into nothing, and any conclusions they could have come to by now have most likely been figured out by other people.