Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Akion posted:

Yeah, I think the owner can evict people.

POT owners can evict people from lots and even bar them from the scene entirely. Of course the first person who gets known for doing that unfairly might trigger a mass exodus of residents looking for calmer waters.

Now that they're no longer available (at least for episode 1) I look back and regret not fronting up the cash to buy a hamlet myself. But hey, we all got in early enough for NPC lots so I guess we're still good.
Plus it's not like the game is short of PRT housing options either. It's more the customization aspect that appeals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Node posted:

Hooray! Thank you.

e: Well, you can loot it, but there isn't a key inside it.

You can, it just takes chests a minute or two to load their contents now.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

POT owners can evict people from lots and even bar them from the scene entirely. Of course the first person who gets known for doing that unfairly might trigger a mass exodus of residents looking for calmer waters.

Now that they're no longer available (at least for episode 1) I look back and regret not fronting up the cash to buy a hamlet myself. But hey, we all got in early enough for NPC lots so I guess we're still good.
Plus it's not like the game is short of PRT housing options either. It's more the customization aspect that appeals.

I don't have a house. :(

I guess everyone is getting entered into the lottery, though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well on the upside everyone who didn't pledge or buy a bundle with a deed is getting free tickets.

I still maintain my stance that I have no intention to enter the lottery personally. I've got my pledge deed and that's all I need. Would rather some other player had a chance to claim a lot somewhere since it would mean more to them than to me.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

DancingShade posted:

Well on the upside everyone who didn't pledge or buy a bundle with a deed is getting free tickets.

I still maintain my stance that I have no intention to enter the lottery personally. I've got my pledge deed and that's all I need. Would rather some other player had a chance to claim a lot somewhere since it would mean more to them than to me.

If you win I would gladly take the plot off your hands!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

jabro posted:

If you win I would gladly take the plot off your hands!

DancingShade posted:

I have no intention to enter the lottery personally.

Jesus Christ the number of people on the official forums crying because a partially finished game is partially finished :psyduck:

Pretty sure it's a minority but they sure do cry a lot.

To summarise: "How dare you not devote all your dev time into my favorite feature immediately! Furthermore..." :byodood:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 1, 2016

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I think a lot of it stems from how much pandering Portalarium's done based on community feedback. Read the suggestions subforums if you really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Most of it is so absurdly off the wall that it makes me wonder if we're even playing the same game. One in particular was a request for animals and zombies that eat corpses when they're idling. If disturbed, there's a chance they might attack you with a severed limb from the corpse. Additionally, he wants mud to be slippery and cause "pieces of cloth or mud" to obscure vision until shaken loose.

Like, dude, I can't even get it to look like the spot I'm swinging at is actually occupied by the thing I'm swinging at.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The funny thing about that request is animals already "eat" the corpse of things they kill. Or rather an eating animation plays until the corpse despawns or something else disturbs it.
I can't think of any game that even does slippery mud outside of a rally car sim. The rest is just the dreaming of someone who probably wants to be playing dayz clones on steam.

Agreed on the melee attacks thing.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I need to join the guild. PC name is Tvarwen. I think I sent you a request, Shade.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Unctuous Cretin posted:

I think a lot of it stems from how much pandering Portalarium's done based on community feedback. Read the suggestions subforums if you really want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Most of it is so absurdly off the wall that it makes me wonder if we're even playing the same game. One in particular was a request for animals and zombies that eat corpses when they're idling. If disturbed, there's a chance they might attack you with a severed limb from the corpse. Additionally, he wants mud to be slippery and cause "pieces of cloth or mud" to obscure vision until shaken loose.

Like, dude, I can't even get it to look like the spot I'm swinging at is actually occupied by the thing I'm swinging at.

There has to be some correlation between amount of money given and amount you convince yourself to say you enjoy this game, because despite this super optimistic remake of the thread, I got maybe 40 minutes of play time in in two weeks before uninstalling a third time. There's no way this will be even as functional or fun as some of my favorite games of 20 years ago, everything from the interface, the sounds, the visuals, the PVE combat, the travel system, I mean I cannot find a thing about this game I like.

Sorry folks, I gotta return to finished video games not based on potential in the deadline year + four years.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I have spent $56 on this game. The only major issue I have with it is they are really lovely at communication and half of development time is spent on regressions.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

How do I do the lottery or am I already entered? I only played for like an hour a week ago so I don't have anything

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Capntastic posted:

How do I do the lottery or am I already entered? I only played for like an hour a week ago so I don't have anything

The october lottery is the one that there's gonna be free tickets for. To enter the september lottery, go to the second floor of any bank & buy a POT lottery ticket for 5k or anywhere lottery ticket for 10k.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
Ok, so got to the stage where I can handle 3 elder wolves in a 5 skull (if a 4th joins I leg it), and still get skill and xp pool increases, but grinding wolves isn't great on the money front as leather doesn't seem in great demand.
Suggestions on somewhere a bit more profitable?
Also if anyones online during EU timezone add "shodan andfriends" to your friend list if you want to do some grouping for control points or dungeons.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've heard that the rise and tenebrous harbor are both good, never been to either

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Akion posted:

I need to join the guild. PC name is Tvarwen. I think I sent you a request, Shade.

Added you as friend & sent you an invite. Let me know if anything goes wrong.
(sorry for the slow response, blame timezones)

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Added you as friend & sent you an invite. Let me know if anything goes wrong.
(sorry for the slow response, blame timezones)

I got the friend request, but not the invite.

I'll probably be around tonight at some point.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Akion posted:

It'd be nice if there was a "Don't show me non-immersive housing" option that just replaced poo poo like the airship on your screen with a row house or something.

This would be amazing. The airships and lighthouses are ugly as sin. If I could just see their vendors and nothing else, that'd be great.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Akion posted:

I got the friend request, but not the invite.

I'll probably be around tonight at some point.

Glad we got you sorted.

In other news the Estgard polish pass is looking good
https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=62618

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Glad we got you sorted.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I'm glad everyone stayed because this looks great.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm glad everyone stayed because this looks great.

If we can cut off the chains keeping that ugly rear end zeppelin grounded it'd be even better.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Node posted:

If we can cut off the chains keeping that ugly rear end zeppelin grounded it'd be even better.

I'm going to rename my vendor and leave him rude messages about him and his property. I'm sure he'll see it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm going to rename my vendor and leave him rude messages about him and his property. I'm sure he'll see it.

Is Terrorism a skill set in this game? I'm just asking questions here.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Is Terrorism a skill set in this game? I'm just asking questions here.

That was one nice thing about the always-PVP of UO. If you didn't like your neighbors, you just murdered them until they moved.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Akion posted:

That was one nice thing about the always-PVP of UO. If you didn't like your neighbors, you just murdered them until they moved.

Well, before the Renaissance and Trammel at least.

Also: does anyone have the Boned00d and Platedewd comics saved? The site has been inaccessible for me for over a week now, and that is making me worry. Those comics are Biblical in age and importance.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
i'm loving dumbfounded they changed white iron to flat health. I just spent most of my game time this week gathering iron for a 5% health helm as advertised on the entire internet, and got a 3.7 health helm.

i just

The health value per ingot is more than 4x higher for bindings than sheets.

The cost per individual point of health is 18 iron ore, 4.5 tungsten ore, 4.5 tin ore, and 108 metal scrap.

ffffuuuuuck this game

gently caress this game.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 3, 2016

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol this is two days after the guy who runs sotawiki asked me to stop updating crafting articles

EDIT: That's 0.285 health per white iron ingot.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Items suck in this game for the most part. A broken gay stick will do just a tiny bit less damage than a meteoric iron masterwork +9 great maul.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

Items suck in this game for the most part. A broken gay stick will do just a tiny bit less damage than a meteoric iron masterwork +9 great maul.

This isn't even consistently true though, it's just that the +# doesn't correlate to quality at all and people just pass off garbage as epic on the public vendor. A +2 piece could be +1 dex or +4 dex or have an earth gem that increases your earth magic damage and has a proc that deals earth damage to all nearby enemies 1 in 10 attacks.

An epic supple leather helm adds potentially 1% crit in a game where crit damage is always at least +100%. Wow players would shiv their mothers for those kinds of gains. Meanwhile, an epic white iron helm has a larger time sink and earns you 3.7 health. Three point seven health.

Three point seven health.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 3, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Crafted items can be great, the thing is a lot of them aren't and/or need masterworking & enchanting.

Also there are currently some outright terrible material choices when crafting, like white iron and using cloth straps.
Because +1 focus is even more useless than +1 health.

It'll probablydefinitely get rebalanced at some point a lot more as crafting gets more polish but at the moment stick to basic cotton, any type of leather and bronze/meteoric iron for metals.

PMB
Oct 30, 2002

Moist and Delicious
I'm using meteoric iron sheets (+item dmg resistance), bronze fittings (+weapon dmg/+item dmg resistance) and supple leather bindings (+crit) for my epic plate set and then bronze head/maple handles for my great axes/hammers/etc for +14% crit on the weapon.
I looked at the white iron bits but was like meh, fixed increase to health, not percentage? Pass on that.
While I've managed to craft a couple of expert pieces (or w/e it is called when you get +50 durability), I've not tried to level enchanting/masterworking yet, will do that at a later time (though my blacksmith skill is now 79 and carpentry 76).
I also initially crafted a load of meteoric bindings, before realising that what I really should be using was bronze bindings with meteoric iron sheets.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

30.5 Days posted:

This isn't even consistently true though, it's just that the +# doesn't correlate to quality at all and people just pass off garbage as epic on the public vendor. A +2 piece could be +1 dex or +4 dex or have an earth gem that increases your earth magic damage and has a proc that deals earth damage to all nearby enemies 1 in 10 attacks.

An epic supple leather helm adds potentially 1% crit in a game where crit damage is always at least +100%. Wow players would shiv their mothers for those kinds of gains. Meanwhile, an epic white iron helm has a larger time sink and earns you 3.7 health. Three point seven health.

Oh, that +# just represents how many enchantments it has, not how good it is? That's interesting. My copper helm is +1 but isn't masterworked or enchanted, however it is exceptional which I guess counts as +1. Just how many ways can you modify or improve a weapon or a piece of armor in this game, anyway?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
If you're a backer receiving physical goods, make sure you give them your address on the account page.

Don't want to miss out on your signed Richard Garriott deeds.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Node posted:

Oh, that +# just represents how many enchantments it has, not how good it is? That's interesting. My copper helm is +1 but isn't masterworked or enchanted, however it is exceptional which I guess counts as +1. Just how many ways can you modify or improve a weapon or a piece of armor in this game, anyway?

+1 is a random proc from crafting, which gives it +50 durability. That sounds like garbage, but all enchants & masterworks cost durability, and better ones cost more, so +50 is actually really great, it's two greater enchants/mw's and one medium without digging into the items' base durability.

Ways to improve your gear:
- Make them out of premium materials (assuming the premium material gives more than 3.7 health)
- Randomly proc an exceptional item on craft.
- For chest armor and stuff that goes in your hands, you can socket a gem (two for two-handers) to increase your attunement with a school of magic, and unlock enchants related to the slot & school.
- Enchants
- Masterworks
- There are also "engraving kits" that can only be used on tools.

There are also rings & necklaces which don't benefit from what materials they use, can't be masterworked, but can have a "jewel" socketed into them (jewels are half-gems) and can be enchanted.

EDIT: THREE POINT SEVEN HEALTH

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Dumb question but how do I pull the compass up? Ingame it keeps telling Ken locations have been added to the compass but it isn't on my UI and I can't seem to find a hit key or option offer it?

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
M toggles the compass off and on.

Here's a current (as far as I know) map as well:

http://i.imgur.com/nOmDBtu.jpg

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
So I got bored and wandered off to Hidden Vale. Is it a decent place to hang out and level or is the area around Soltown better?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I wanna live in the horrific death scar, I bet nobody bothers to march out there to try to sell you poo poo or talk about the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Akion posted:

So I got bored and wandered off to Hidden Vale. Is it a decent place to hang out and level or is the area around Soltown better?

Hidden Vale (specifically Owl's Head and Kingsport) were the 2 main hubs for the longest time, before Ardoris was done, so a lot of the content there has been in place since the beginning. You can hang in HIdden Vale for quite some time, but the scenes feel smaller. It could just be because I've run them so many times, though.