Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Are Gundams male? I'd date Allelujah's mech and hope it is bi-Kyrios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Zeta certainly isn't male with those heels. But then, who am I to tell a mobile suit how to dress?

I mean, the Gerbera Tetra is basically a crossdresser when you think about it.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Is there a good wallpaperable image of this wonderful Shinkai artwork anywhere?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

:mrgw:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I will be sorely disappointed if none of these are made into avatars for some of you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So after taking a very long break im watching ZZ again. I am in the 30s, blue team just got messed up.

So the tone has gotten darker, no where near Zeta level. But at the same time some of the themes are way more gently caress up. Glemy is such an awful creep. How he tries to own and shape people is awful.

I think he is a compelling villain, just a really messed up one. He takes the whole "ideals over people" thing a lot of Gundam baddies have but takes it to a different type of extreme.

Also Puru isn't that awful. She isn't awful at all really.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I will be sorely disappointed if none of these are made into avatars for some of you.

I don't deserve the Ramba Ral avatar, but I wish I did.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Puru rules and any haters can get the h*ck out!!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Here you go;

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'd gladly take the Ramba Ral one,but I'm broke right now. :(

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd take the Ramba Ral one too, but I'm not worthy. I will buy it for myself once I'm worthy.

In 11 years, 2 months and 12 days, on my 35th birthday.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Srice posted:

I agree. Also she pilots the best mecha type in the series.
Which they need to hurry up and fix so she can actually do stuff!!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of people seem to hate child characters just for being child characters and it's always lame as heck.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The only child characters I hated were Katz and Quess. And technically Rosamia. Puru is cool with me.

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 1, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Al is cool with me.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Srice posted:

*the entire cast of ZZ leaves*

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Parallax posted:

*the entire cast of ZZ leaves*

Hey,Roux and Elle were alright. As in,they were actually tolerable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

Hey,Roux and Elle were alright. As in,they were actually tolerable.

I think he's implying that nobody in the show liked Ple. Which isn't 100% accurate (Judau had a small soft spot for her), but pretty close to the truth.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Puru 12 is the only good Puru. :colbert:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

I think he's implying that nobody in the show liked Ple. Which isn't 100% accurate (Judau had a small soft spot for her), but pretty close to the truth.

Oh,sorry, I'm half-asleep. And what's that,a new Avatar? Goddamit. I really AM out of it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Evil Mashmyre's outfit is the funniest loving thing.

No more sleeves! I'm bad now!

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Katz and Quess are garbage, Puru is pretty irritating, Puru 2 is okayish, Puru 12 is good.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Chickenfrogman posted:

Katz and Quess are garbage, Puru is pretty irritating, Puru 2 is okayish, Puru 12 is good.

Shame she was fridged. Like most cool females in Gundam are. :(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
How is Katz garbage? He sometimes got in the way but he shouldn't had been there in the first place.

He was just a dumb kid :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I also find Quess pitiable more than anything. The movie starts with her friends being murdered and she gets saved only because her father is powerful. She then gets used and dies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5umoMLVaOQ

:unsmith:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Katz is good, and if he were likeable it would go against the entire point of his character.

Dude is basically emulating the dumb stunts Amuro pulled but doesn't get the same results. And hell, Amuro pulled worse poo poo.

Nobody says that Amuro should die because he buried the Gundam that one time, for instance. And that action endangered the lives of an entire ship!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Katz was right about Axis Zeon, truly wise beyond his years.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

Nobody says that Amuro should die because he buried the Gundam that one time, for instance. And that action endangered the lives of an entire ship!
Wait didn't somebody actually say something like that? I seem to recall Bright in a bad moment saying that in the TV show, maybe. Maybe it was Kai being a poo poo or something, it's been a while.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I understand the point of Katz, but pulling the scope back a bit:
By the time Katz entered the fray we had more than enough time dedicated to crazy rear end young kids being stupid and unreasonable. While I get that he's supposed to be the other side of "young wild kid steals a robot and fights" coin....I just didn't care by that point. When your actions are deemed rash and dangerous by Kamille, it really puts things into perspective.

Katz was unnecessary to Zeta, imo. His only value in the franchise was his death being used as a gutpunch in ZZ.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Srice posted:

The time Amuro stole the Gundam just so he could show off really should count as some sort of treason and get him executed.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Wait didn't somebody actually say something like that? I seem to recall Bright in a bad moment saying that in the TV show, maybe. Maybe it was Kai being a poo poo or something, it's been a while.

Ah I phrased that poorly, by nobody I meant the viewers, in comparison to how Katz gets talked about.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The time Amuro stole the Gundam just so he could show off really should count as some sort of treason and get him executed.

If we started making a list of every time something nonsensical involving military conduct and procedure happened over the course of the various shows, we'd be here all day. The military officers and Camille at the beginning of Zeta particularly sticks out.

Hell, Kira actually getting pulled up in front of a tribunal and threatened with firing squad for something was one of the few vaguely realistic happenings of the sort all through the various series'.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Wasn't there a scene where Bright talked with someone higher up in the chain of command in the original that went, roughly

"You're running an awfully lax ship!"

"I am trying to keep a bunch of teenage civilians from launching an outright mutiny, despite my prior command experience being, roughly jack/poo poo. You notice how Kai is wearing pants? You're welcome."

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Bright was lax with Amuro because no one else could/wanted to pilot the mobile suit with the giant bulls-eye on it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Kuvo posted:

Bright was lax with Amuro because no one else could/wanted to pilot the mobile suit with the giant bulls-eye on it.

Job John could of. He is at least man enough to admit he doesn't know what he is doing.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
So I've never watched the original MSG series - only the movie compilations. Worth it to watch the entire series?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

meh. not really.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

unpurposed posted:

So I've never watched the original MSG series - only the movie compilations. Worth it to watch the entire series?

Not even remotely. It is full of some of the worst filler I've ever seen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

NikkolasKing posted:

Not even remotely. It is full of some of the worst filler I've ever seen.

Part of the point of The Origin manga was to turn the seat-of-the-pants series writing into something coherent from start-to-finish wasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

unpurposed posted:

Don't listen to these fools. The whole series is worth a watch at least once. It has a really good dub considering, and some of the filler is hilarious/actually pretty good. I watched the series first and the film compilations second, and I like the series more because even with the handful of filler episodes, I feel like the whole story flows a lot better. It was made for Television first, so it works for a television format, while the films really don't work as films, but a truncated version of the tv series with some better animation.