Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

So anyone think this citizens forum on abortion is going to produce anything of value or is it just an exercise in face saving after getting a scolding from the UNHRC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The citizens forum lets them kick the can down the road a bit. Fine Gael relies on a hard-line catholic votership in a much more tangible sense than most political parties in the country. The idea that they might be the political party to introduce godless baby murdering into legislation will hurt that vote in years to come. They are probably afraid of driving said voting bloc into the arms of the great enemy.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

There's no way FG are going to attempt a referendum on the 8th. All they are doing is buying time and hoping something comes along that can distract the media/electorate.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Senator Ronan Mullen believes the IDA threatened NUIG with withdrawal of funding if they didn't install gender-neutral bathrooms.

We truly are blessed with the expertise that comes from the Seanad.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Swan Curry posted:

We truly are blessed with the expertise that comes from the Seanad.

I hate that the electorate allowed it to remain on the basis that it would be reformed by some undefined manner.

And now we're stuck with ex-ministers on the government payroll who were parachuted in when they couldn't retain their seat, e.g. James Reilly.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lots of outrage at the census showing that 10% of the housing pool is apparently unoccupied. Interesting number but how many of those houses are in locations that people will accept to live, homeless or not?
If I'm jobless/housing list in Cork will a ghost estate down near Bantry improve my life?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
So i was bored and read this thread. does ireland really have a political party named after the people running for office!? haeley-ray.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

snergle posted:

So i was bored and read this thread. does ireland really have a political party named after the people running for office!? haeley-ray.

It's more of a joke on the fact that healy-rae brothers managed to win more seats than Renua, an honest to goodness political party with ex-ministers and everything. Officially they're independents.

In actual news it's looking increasingly likely they'll be another election next spring as some cracks have started to show in the Government. At the start of the month independent Mick Wallace tabled a (repeat) bill that would have legalised abortion in cases of Fatal Foetal Abnormality - something which the previous government had voted against after receiving legal advice that such a law would be unconstitutional without a repeal of the Eight Amendment. However three Independent Alliance Ministers who are part of the current government defied the agreed government line on the vote and voted in favor of the bill - an embarrassing failure to impose the collective cabinet responsibility that was baked into the current coalition deal to try to stop this from happening. There where some very unhappy chaps in FG after that happened.

Enda did some bizarre manovuering that lead to some rumbling in FG that maybe it's time to start looking at replacing him. In June he sacked the deputy leader of FG, James Reilly (who had lost his seat in the election but subsequently got a place in the Senate), in what was widely seen as a punitive move for his vocal support for a referendum on the eight amendment which went against the softly softly approach officially endorsed by the party. Then bizarrely at the start of July, Reilly was reappointed deputy leader which left everyone very confused at what Kenny was exactly playing at.

Then polls started coming out showing FF have overtaken FG...

Since there has been increased speculation about Kenny stepping aside as leader this year (centering on either before or after Budget Day in October) and a slow build up of campaigning from the three presumptive candidates who are all being very cute about how they support Kenny unconditionally. Leo Varadkar remains odds on favourite to replace Kenny, number two is Simon Coveney (who speaks to more rural conservative voters who might be slightly put off by having a gay member of the liberal wing as leader) and Frances Fitzgerald as an outside middle ground candidate who's media profile has certainly shot up in the last few weeks (can't open the Irish Times in the last few days without reading about her).

Oh and here's another poll for ye

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I'd say that Fitzgerald would be best posed to take leadership of FG. Leo seems very... Untested. Along with the fact that people only seem to like him until he opens his mouth. Can't see him doing well in a GE.

Of course the Eighth would be the death of the government. Neither FF nor FG wants to touch that while in government. Forever sighing that FF are pushing up in polls. I expect them to be propped up by SF in another election, sadly.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The most shocking figure in those polls is that 7% of adults think Simon Harris should be Taoiseach. A 29 year old who has never had a job other than politician. Wherefore art thou technocrat government?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How hard is it for a European citizen to move to Ireland?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

How hard is it for a European citizen to move to Ireland?

As easy as anywhere else in the EU, usual 3 month window for seeking employment with the ability to claim unemployment benefit from your country of origin etc etc.

Your biggest barrier will be usual cost of living/finding somewhere to rent if your looking at Dublin and if you're aiming at a skilled job in say the technology sector competition can be pretty fierce at times

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

kustomkarkommando posted:

As easy as anywhere else in the EU, usual 3 month window for seeking employment with the ability to claim unemployment benefit from your country of origin etc etc.

Your biggest barrier will be usual cost of living/finding somewhere to rent if your looking at Dublin and if you're aiming at a skilled job in say the technology sector competition can be pretty fierce at times

I see, and is studying really expensive? I've looked up the costs for a postgraduate cursus for a EU citizen and it was very high.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

I see, and is studying really expensive? I've looked up the costs for a postgraduate cursus for a EU citizen and it was very high.

Yeah, postgraduate education can run you between €4,000-€10,000 a year shooting up to crazy levels if you're looking at Business or Medicine. You can apply for a Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) post-graduate fees grant but I think that caps out at €2,000 annually conditional on you earning under €30,000 a year.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Rent levels are completely hosed in Dublin at the moment, minimum you'll pay for a three bed in and around the city centre that isn't a complete kip is around 600 pp, prolly 500/550 a bit further out.

Viewings are a clusterfuck as well - been to a few and there's been like 25 people there, babies etc ...

Campus accommodation would probably be worth it all things considered if you're studying.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Rent levels are completely hosed in Dublin at the moment, minimum you'll pay for a three bed in and around the city centre that isn't a complete kip is around 600 pp, prolly 500/550 a bit further out.

Viewings are a clusterfuck as well - been to a few and there's been like 25 people there, babies etc ...

Campus accommodation would probably be worth it all things considered if you're studying.

Its more convenient, but on-campus is very pricey even by Dublin standards. €10,400 for 11 months Sept->August in UCD appears to be going the rate last year.

Almost 950eur a month, not including utilities, is fairly hefty.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Blut posted:

Its more convenient, but on-campus is very pricey even by Dublin standards. €10,400 for 11 months Sept->August in UCD appears to be going the rate last year.

Almost 950eur a month, not including utilities, is fairly hefty.

Jesus Christ. God forbid that a university in Ireland should run its accommodation services for the benefit of its students rather than to make a few bob.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Just don't study in Dublin, it's a shithole anyway. What are you thinking of doing?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Surely most of Ireland's postgrad opportunities are in Dublin? There's Cork and Galway but I can't imagine Sligo IT has a particularly large choice of masters' programmes

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I was looking at postgrad offers in humanities, for instance in Limerick: a cursus in History, a cursus in languages.

Edit; but really I'd love to study in an English speaking country and Ireland seems like a good choice.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 15, 2016

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
You would be surprised at what you can do in the ITs these days.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Entropy238 posted:

Jesus Christ. God forbid that a university in Ireland should run its accommodation services for the benefit of its students rather than to make a few bob.

Between rent, utilities, living costs and the ever-increasing fees I can only imagine how much debt a rural student living in Dublin these days comes out the end of a now fairly standard 4 year undergrad +1 year postgrad college experience with. 5 years of all of that must have people almost approaching American levels of student debt. Then they get to face the joy of the destroyed under 25s welfare rates if they can't get a job.

It makes me rather glad to have gone to uni before the crisis.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurtofan posted:

I was looking at postgrad offers in humanities, for instance in Limerick: a cursus in History, a cursus in languages.

Edit; but really I'd love to study in an English speaking country and Ireland seems like a good choice.

I know some foreign folks who love studying in Limerick

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

julian assflange posted:

I know some foreign folks who love studying in Limerick

My university has a partnership with the Institute of Technology Tallaght, in Tallaght,Dublin.

Do you know a little about it?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Apparently they had to change it from Tallaght Institute of Technology, it was also the location of hit tv show Tallafornia

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I thought Tallaght was merging with DIT and Blanch to form Ireland's first University of Technology at Grangegorman. Did that go ahead or did the government never pass the required legislation?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nope, DIT are in Grangegorman. They've been talking about making a Uni out of all the outlying ITs for years. Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't. Tallaght IT changed to IT Tallaght when it became clear that the acronym was TIT. Most of the ITs have done something similar.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People are freaking the gently caress out over this Apple ruling but am I correct in saying that they had a setup that was paying even less than Google etc which is what prompted the investigation?

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I don't know off hand what Google were paying. But reports say Apple was paying 1% since 1991 which was reduced to 0.005% in 2007, that's 5000 paid in tax for every million of profit.
Good thing there wasn't anything that happened after 07 where we would have needed that tax base.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Aug 30, 2016

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

julian assflange posted:

People are freaking the gently caress out over this Apple ruling but am I correct in saying that they had a setup that was paying even less than Google etc which is what prompted the investigation?

Google uses the same income shifting structure apple uses (that's technically be banned by law now with a couple of twilight years to allow the big companies to reach new tax arrangements). The argument with the Apple case seems to rest on profit booking between internal branches of the same Irish registered company with state knowledge which the EC found to be a sweetheart deal outside the norm of the double Irish

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The government is protesting very loudly about the evils of this to keep our American MNCs happy but they must be rubbing their hands gleefully in private. €13bn is what, a little under 10% of the national debt (or almost 25% of the bank bailout) wiped out in one-go?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blut posted:

The government is protesting very loudly about the evils of this to keep our American MNCs happy but they must be rubbing their hands gleefully in private. €13bn is what, a little under 10% of the national debt (or almost 25% of the bank bailout) wiped out in one-go?

Or one year of running the HSE

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Some interesting cabinet level divisions about appealing the Apple ruling, Shane Ross and co not rolling over on this so easily and seem to be pressing for a recall of the Dail. What with the previous cabinet shenanigans I wonder if this could cause a bit of a falling out...

The EC have clarified that there is no legal compulsion for recovered funds to be used to pay down debt, just that doing so is a long-running EC policy recommendation for Ireland and they think we should do that.

Might make things a bit more interesting.

jacksbrat
Oct 15, 2012

Tim Cook on Morning Ireland earlier describing the relationship between Apple and Ireland as a long marriage... yup I'm pretty sure there are marriages like this but I don't know if those are conventionally functional marriages.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jacksbrat posted:

Tim Cook on Morning Ireland earlier describing the relationship between Apple and Ireland as a long marriage... yup I'm pretty sure there are marriages like this but I don't know if those are conventionally functional marriages.

It's a pity they don't care about the actual Irish workers.
I live in Cork, and have heard a poo poo ton of horror stories from working at Apple here.

Edit: VVV Yeah. But south west Ireland is call centre country, but even Apple is regarded as bad among them.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 1, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are those call centre stories because all call centres are poo poo

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

happyhippy posted:

It's a pity they don't care about the actual Irish workers.
I live in Cork, and have heard a poo poo ton of horror stories from working at Apple here.

Edit: VVV Yeah. But south west Ireland is call centre country, but even Apple is regarded as bad among them.

Any chance of hearing one of these horror stories.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

happyhippy posted:

Only now that Dundalk Ebay has closed :rip:

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Marenghi posted:

But reports say Apple was paying 1% since 1991 which was reduced to 0.005% in 2007, that's 5000 paid in tax for every million of profit.

It's actually €50 for every one million euros.

That TD that came out and said something like "if you're a us-multinational, the government has your back", I can't imagine the most conservative politicians in other countries being able to say that without getting slaughtered. We've steadily allowed ourselves to become that country that flagellates ourselves for big business.

We're perfectly happy to cycle between right/free-market econ policies and the same except with more social conservatism every election cycle, with a healthy dollop of the most useless, vote chasing independents. Nobody seems to care about anything in our lower house, our upper house has no power, we happily elect proven tax evaders and crooks.

Starting to become seriously disillusioned with the political process in this country. We came out of this recession like nothing even happened and went straight back to the status quo. Emigration is becoming more attractive every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You are only starting to get disillusioned now? :stare:

• Locked thread