Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

What is the thing that makes reality "reality" then, which the simulacrum lacks?

a simulacrum wouldn't contain your boring posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Phone posted:

Crooked Hillary!!! :argh:

How exactly did Clinton "trick" them. This seems like a GOPe vet trying to damage control/lose more softly due to the Trumpster Fire.

Also Clinton's going to release an Oppo Research bomb the week of the debate, the day before, and the day of to win the debates.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

Half of Fox's viewership is 68 or more and isn't replacing fast enough to stay viable. Fox is going to have to pivot hard to remain watched, scale down operations or close down altogether.

FNC will eventually end up something else. Prepare yourself for Breitbart Streaming?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
a less boring USPOL thread seems like a distinguishable difference

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kilroy posted:

It's probably not stupid to expect that they can't continue in their present form for that much longer - no one under retirement age watches them. Hell, I'm not sure the fate of cable television in the main what with Netflix eating the world.

They're doing a pretty poo poo job of transitioning. I ended up watching half of the primary debates via illegal Youtube streams because the news networks didn't offer decent streaming options.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

Half of Fox's viewership is 68 or more and isn't replacing fast enough to stay viable. Fox is going to have to pivot hard to remain watched, scale down operations or close down altogether.

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/771395406701862912

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

Also Clinton's going to release an Oppo Research bomb
I'm just going to stop you right there: no one cares and nothing matters.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
After the meet and greet at the first debate Hillary will put her finger on Trump's chest and ask "hey what's that?"

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Does everyone feel like the stupid poo poo their city's inhabitants do gets fixated on or is that just a thing for us here in Cincinnati?
Relax. Nobody cares or ever thinks about Cincinnati. You're not even one of the top two most populous cities in a state that nobody cares or ever thinks about.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Does everyone feel like the stupid poo poo their city's inhabitants do gets fixated on or is that just a thing for us here in Cincinnati?

You killed a gorilla
killed
a
gorilla

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

PhazonLink posted:

How exactly did Clinton "trick" them. This seems like a GOPe vet trying to damage control/lose more softly due to the Trumpster Fire.

Also Clinton's going to release an Oppo Research bomb the week of the debate, the day before, and the day of to win the debates.

It's getting people to spend a bunch of time and money in states where they're going to win, but you headfake them into thinking they're not.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

a simulacrum wouldn't contain your boring posts

sounds better than reality

thus reality sucks

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Do they really think that Trump has to be tricked to screw up?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Kilroy posted:

It's probably not stupid to expect that they can't continue in their present form for that much longer - no one under retirement age watches them. Hell, I'm not sure the fate of cable television in the main what with Netflix eating the world.

Neither of these things is true.

Audiences are old but not dying, certain FNC programs excepting.

Netflix is having a hell of a time expanding globally.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

animals don't have souls and thus cannot ascend to heaven. There are no dogs in heaven, only simulacrums made by god to LOOK like your dog, happy to help.

My man Pope F-Sizzle says all our dogs are in heaven waiting for us.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What the gently caress would an opposition research "bomb" against Trump even look like? The guy has a million scandals already; how would a new one even crack the bubble?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You killed a gorilla
killed
a
gorilla

Yeah, but we're like +11 on gorillas, our Zoo is called the sexiest zoo in America for a reason.

(I doubt anyone outside the region knows or cares, but we are a brittle and argumentative people.)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Geostomp posted:

Do they really think that Trump has to be tricked to screw up?

No, but it doesn't hurt.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

PhazonLink posted:

His entire campaign is an oppo research bomb. His entire life has been televised, written about, and tweeted.

Her October surprise could just be a 30 minute loop of him mocking that disabled reporter

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Does anyone know if there is an actual transcript of the speech Trump gave in Mexico? It was really, really bad and I want to see how it reads on paper.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

quote:

Meanwhile, Clinton herself has signaled that she wants the expansion to continue. She wants to win, she privately told campaign donors in Easthampton, New York, on Monday, “as resoundingly as possible."

DRAG HIM HILLARY :dance:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
How did Rubio win? Are democrats that terrible in FL?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's not like Fox pivoting to the center would even ball that unprecedented. When Otis Chandler took over the LA Times, it went from a mouthpiece of the republican party to being an actually good newspaper.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Ooh can I be the one to call him a dumbass about this one?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you haven't seen it, this is what the thread title is from:

https://twitter.com/MMASammich/status/770646018534756354

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Dumb,

But really, how is he surviving being "Little Marco" and bowing down and bending over for Trump?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Bro

He won the primary

The Republican primary

The closed Republican primary

I would have voted in it but I left all my fraudulent voter registration cards in my other pants

FL Dems are pretty bad though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr Cheeto posted:

Bro

He won the primary

The Republican primary

The closed Republican primary

I would have voted in it but I left all my fraudulent voter registration cards in my other pants

Are you sure? Are you sure they didn't just have a general election contest on August 31?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Yesterday? Because it was a primary.

6 years ago? It was 2010 and he was in a three way race with a black guy and the brownest white man to ever betray everyone by touching Obama.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

woop woop

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/771401938726481920

Get hosed NC legislature that literally commissioned a study to find out how blacks vote to stop them from voting

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

zoux posted:

Ooh can I be the one to call him a dumbass about this one?

Oh man, yeah that was on me (pure dumbass on not realizing it was a closed republican primary). BUT it's still very surprising to see him win, I think Jeb! was the only one to come out of the presidential race looking worse than him.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Oh man, yeah that was on me (pure dumbass on not realizing it was a closed republican primary). BUT it's still very surprising to see him win, I think Jeb! was the only one to come out of the presidential race looking worse than him.

You're talking about a political party on a local level that is quite seriously shrieking "I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" as the ground beneath their feet sinks into the ocean. Their viable candidate pool is way shallower than Miami is going to be in 20 years.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No, his opponent was a loving goober and he has name recognition, so it's not surprising in the least.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Well, with Trump running, the number of swing states has increased. :v:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Rubio is still doing the robot thing in his victory speech as well, it was very much' Bill X that I wrote, I endorsed, and we passed' repeat three times goto 'Only I can X'. If he's their great Hispanic hope for the rebuilding then they're doomed.

AlouetteNR
Jun 6, 2011

Kilroy posted:

What is it? I'd rather not try to guess what you mean by this.

Going with the whole Russell's teapot thing, say you have a laser you want to shoot past the moon. It's the difference between saying "I am certain there is an absence there, the laser will hit its destination" and "I'm pretty sure there will be an absence, the laser should hit its destination". It's hedging, basically saying the existence of some singular omnipotent God is a massive longshot, but not a provable impossibility. I think the main concrete difference I've noticed between the two mindsets is the level of scorn and mockery towards religious people and religion in general.

This isn't even talking about any particular variation of God, because the more specific you get, the more falsifiable that version is, and the more open the belief is to ridicule. So someone saying 'God is nature' would be less silly than someone saying 'God prefers followers of the Christian faith and directly caused the Great Biblical Flood' would be less silly than someone saying 'I treat my children with homeopathic medicine.' Each is roughly equivalent in likelihood of being true (nearly zero), but as they increase is falsifiability, the more justified it is to ridicule the belief.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

zoux posted:

Are you sure? Are you sure they didn't just have a general election contest on August 31?

Florida Man pushes general election to August 31st, consummates marriage with alligator

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kilroy posted:

No TV channel ever stays in their present form for long. I mean you do remember that being 90 years old, NBC started out as all about radio even though nowadays it's a combined TV and movie production company owned by the largest ISP?

You're also full of poo poo if you really think no one under retirement age watches any NBC or Fox content, while CNN is sitting on all over the place being watched - airports, hotels, waiting rooms in general.

And even if cable goes away, hello, NBC and Fox operate broadcast networks, and given how digital TV broadcasting works they could up and put many of their channels on subchannels. Especially with upcoming changes in digital TV broadcasting that uses less bandwidth for the same quality, meaning they can put more HD channels on a single station.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're doing a pretty poo poo job of transitioning. I ended up watching half of the primary debates via illegal Youtube streams because the news networks didn't offer decent streaming options.

Not sure why you're expecting them to invest money in something that wouldn't actually make them money.

Ice Phisherman posted:

That's Fox News, which is just one tiny fraction of FOX. Other Fox channels remain wildly popular, with widely watched shows.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Shageletic posted:

woop woop

https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/771401938726481920

Get hosed NC legislature that literally commissioned a study to find out how blacks vote to stop them from voting

Too bad the lesson that will be taken away here is "be less blatantly racist next time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlouetteNR posted:

Going with the whole Russell's teapot thing, say you have a laser you want to shoot past the moon. It's the difference between saying "I am certain there is an absence there, the laser will hit its destination" and "I'm pretty sure there will be an absence, the laser should hit its destination". It's hedging, basically saying the existence of some singular omnipotent God is a massive longshot, but not a provable impossibility. I think the main concrete difference I've noticed between the two mindsets is the level of scorn and mockery towards religious people and religion in general.

This isn't even talking about any particular variation of God, because the more specific you get, the more falsifiable that version is, and the more open the belief is to ridicule. So someone saying 'God is nature' would be less silly than someone saying 'God prefers followers of the Christian faith and directly caused the Great Biblical Flood' would be less silly than someone saying 'I treat my children with homeopathic medicine.' Each is roughly equivalent in likelihood of being true (nearly zero), but as they increase is falsifiability, the more justified it is to ridicule the belief.

the people who say god is nature, generally speaking, don't think of god as a being or whatever, but i guess that dovetails into trying to come up with a definition of what god is or means and that's not gonna be a great convo huh

• Locked thread