Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I don't get paying extra for a half-finished copy of work ahead of time. That should be basic proof of process for backers if it's done at all and people that charge extra for it ought to be ashamed.

It's pretty clever if you have the fans to leverage it, honestly. Gating access behind at least an extra $152 means only dedicated fans or people already interested in the pitch will jump for it. They'll be the ones playtesting it and talking about how COOL and INNOVATIVE the game is while all the scrubs have to squirm with envy, plus the severely limited playtest pool will already come biased in favor of the game and its rules

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

FRINGE posted:

At first I didnt give a poo poo, but Im getting more curious about Cooks black box thing. IS anyone actually getting it? (I cant afford to do that right now, but am wondering if anyone is getting the direct updates or anything interesting?)

You can pay $1 to get a pdf of the not quickstart rules six months from now.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DalaranJ posted:

You can pay $1 to get a pdf of the not quickstart rules six months from now.
Yeah I might do that.

I like the Numenera setting, and and wondering what hes going to do with this thing.

Side anecdote: the thing that made Numenera click for me was the day I realized that the tv show "The 100" was essentially a time/history-constrained Numenera game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Whoops, realised I posted this in the Industry thread instead of here:

quote:

Has anyone ever heard of/read/played something called Tiny Frontier? A Kickstarter went up for the designer's new project, which is a standalone game of mechs vs. kaiju based off the TF system, and I'm curious if the base system is any good: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gallantknightgames/tiny-frontiers-mecha-and-monsters]

Also: I've finally gotten a shipping notice for Burning Wheel Codex, so it looks like it's going out to EU folks soon/right now.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Yeah, got mine this morning too. Looks like they might be using a different company for this - I got an email from something called Blackbox instead of Stamps.com (how Gold was shipped to me) so maybe they've taken some of the shipping criticism on board?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
And the actual book just got delivered five minutes ago. That was fast.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
I just had the same thing. Got the email this morning. Was in my house at lunch time.

Weird. But Cool.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

clockworkjoe posted:

Trad Game favorite Greg Stolze just launched a new Kickstarter for a short story anthology: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregstolze/thank-you-for-screaming?ref=friends_backed

I saw him teasing this yesterday on Twitter but missed the actual launch. He's done some of my favorite DG fiction so I'm all over this for a $5 ebook.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

SJGames is launching a kickstarter tomorrow for a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy boxed set.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3731-GURPS-Turns-30-Starts-Kicking-Down-Doors-to-Celebrate-With-Dungeon-Fantasy-RPG#.V8cxWPkrJhE

quote:

The Dungeon Fantasy RPG will take things a step further. It will be a standalone game, a box containing everything needed to play: cardboard figures, battle maps, dice, and five full-color rulebooks illustrated with beautiful original art. The books will include all the parts of the GURPS Basic Set and GURPS Magic necessary for hack ‘n’ slash – and vital content from the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy PDFs – but streamlined.

All this will come out of the box ready to play! It will be compatible with GURPS but you won’t need to know or invest in GURPS. And while it won’t be “rules light,” it will be friendly to new gamers. Existing GURPS fans will also want it, both for the revisions and rethinks made in response to customer feedback on the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series, and for content exclusive to the set.

This being a Kickstarter campaign, there will be add-ons and stretch goals. Some will appeal mostly to current fans; for instance, existing GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplements and related issues of Pyramid magazine. Others – like the GM’s screen – will be useful to everyone. We’re offering a genuine game system, not merely a one-off.

Between this and the two hardcovers, this is the biggest year for GURPS releases in, god, at least the 2010s.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 31, 2016

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Swagger Dagger posted:

SJGames is launching a kickstarter tomorrow for a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy boxed set.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3731-GURPS-Turns-30-Starts-Kicking-Down-Doors-to-Celebrate-With-Dungeon-Fantasy-RPG#.V8cxWPkrJhE

Between this and the two hardcovers, this is the biggest year for GURPS releases in, god, at least the 2010s.
Oh man, and here I was hoping there'd be a dry patch for me to back off from Kickstarter for a while.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Considering how much of a kit GURPS is, I can see this being executed by simplifying further than GURPS lite. It may work well. All they have to do is ditch GURPS Fantasy 1, edit the magic system to be less poo poo and be better tailored for a dungeon crawl, and possibly hire new writers for a GURPS Fantasy 3.

It is a bold move for GURPS. Smart one too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Helical Nightmares posted:

Considering how much of a kit GURPS is, I can see this being executed by simplifying further than GURPS lite. It may work well.
It says in the press release that it's not going to be "rules light", so I don't think that's gonna happen.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Oh? Interesting. Curious to see the sales numbers and how this plays out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
It's basically a hardcopy print of necessariy bits of the Basic Set, Magic, and the Dungeon Fantasy PDFs, from what I read there. I thought DF was just shy of using Champions to simulate AD&D, so I'm taking a pass on this one.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Oh? Interesting. Curious to see the sales numbers and how this plays out.

Dungeon Fantasy is already a streamlined version of the larger GURPS system, so if it's streamlined and revised from that base it should be a quick playing game while still very much being a GURPS game.

Personally, I don't think I'd want it to be too much lighter, since there are already plenty of those kinds of games.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe I'll finally get the complimenting pieces to the copy of GURPS: Myth the Fallen Lords I bought 15 years ago.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
Dungeon Fantasy rules and I've wanted it to be a standalone product for a while. This is good.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's what got me into TRPGs. I think I may have to bite the bullet on that.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Finally, all the rules you'll need to play Munchkin in GURPS in one single package. Steve Jackson has finally come full circle.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

In the continuing saga of shipping, apparently somebody at the USPS decided to either wreck, lose, or 'lose' my card deck for Costume Fairy Adventures, because after marking it as out for delivery, it then supposedly went to Saint Paul MN and from there to Jacksonville FL.

Which is nonsense, because I live in Illinois, and usually when the Post Office can't drop off my poo poo they leave a little card and I go pick it up the next day.

Fortunately Penguin King Games is being a class act on this one and will be sending me out another deck in a few days.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
For people still watching the Invisible Sun... event... Gnome Stew just posted an interview with Monte Cook where he spills a few details about gameplay mechanics. There are some interesting ideas in there, but not remotely $200 worth of interesting ideas.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Swagger Dagger posted:

Dungeon Fantasy is up.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps

e: $100,000 goal :stonk:

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 1, 2016

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

$140+ for anyone in the UK. Given those shipping charges I don't think they're going to get a lot of international support for this. And with them needing nearly 2k backers (assuming some people go in at the higher levels), that's a sizeable number for GURPS.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Well it's a box set, that's the downside of box sets, they are prohibitively expensive to ship per unit in any method other than bulk shipping container.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Well at 200k they cut $10 off the $15 shipping. So thats potentially almost free shipping in the US.

Lots of addons:

edit- I MISREAD, these are individual pdfs for people that dont want the full set I guess?

quote:

Beginner:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 6: 40 Artifacts • Catalog of unusually powerful magical weapons, armor, and accessories. • $6

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 8: Treasure Tables • Every kind of treasure imaginable, from the mundane to the incredible, with an option to generate hoards randomly. • $11

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 10: Taverns • Four ready-to-use taverns with maps, along with the innkeeper profession and rules for tavern-related tasks and treasures. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 17: Guilds • Guide to companies, families, noble courts, secret societies, and other organizations heroes can petition for aid or even join. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 3: Born of Myth & Magic • Sixteen legendary dangers and magical threats, plus more monster modifications. • $6

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 1: Glittering Prizes • Guide to interesting coins, wondrous fabrics, unusual materials, and strange treasure origins. • $6

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Treasures 2: Epic Treasures • Yet more amazing items for heroes to find. • $5

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 1: Mirror of the Fire Demon • The heroes must race rivals across wilderness and dungeon to find an amazing artifact before it’s too late. • $10

quote:

Expert:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Barbarians • Options, variants, gear, and abilities for everyone’s favorite warriors of the wild. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 18: Power Items • Additional rules and options for power items. • $5

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 16: Wilderness Adventures • Gear and abilities for the great outdoors, along with expanded rules and advice for wilderness quests. • $10

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 15: Henchmen • Professions intended for sidekicks and hired help – or for the heroes of a low-powered campaign. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 14: Psi • Mentalist profession and its psionic abilities, as well as psi-themed monsters, hazards, and gear. • $10

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 13: Loadouts • Ready-to-print equipment lists for every profession up to this point in the series. • $10

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 12: Ninja • Ninja and assassin professions, their abilities, and their special weapons and equipment. • $5

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 11: Power-Ups • New abilities for every profession and race up to this point in the series. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners • Demonologist, elementalist, necromancer, and shaman professions, plus servitors to summon and notes on the places they’re summoned from. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 7: Clerics • Rules for matching the abilities of clerics and holy warriors to the gods they serve, plus special gear for holy folk. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies • Supernatural pets, servitors, and familiars for spellcasters. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages • Artificer and scholar professions, along with rules for arcane writings. • $5

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 3: The Next Level • Nonhuman races, mixed professions, and new abilities. • $8

quote:

Classic:

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers • Templates, abilities, and gear for heroes. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 2: Dungeons • Rules for adventuring tasks in town and the dungeon, plus advice to the GM on designing dungeons and handing out loot. • $8

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 1 • Thirty monsters with tactics and plot ideas, plus options for modifying any kind of monster. • $10

GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2: Icky Goo • Slimes, molds, oozes, fungi, and other things to make you go “Ew!” • $6

FRINGE fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 1, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FRINGE posted:

edit- I MISREAD, these are individual pdfs for people that dont want the full set I guess?

It's my understanding that those are all PDFs of the original Dungeon Fantasy line for GURPS.

potatocubed posted:

For people still watching the Invisible Sun... event... Gnome Stew just posted an interview with Monte Cook where he spills a few details about gameplay mechanics. There are some interesting ideas in there, but not remotely $200 worth of interesting ideas.

Ross Payton of Roleplaying Public Radio also did an interview with Cook regarding Invisible Sun.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2016

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
No GURPS Illuminati University, no buy. :colbert:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

potatocubed posted:

The one mechanic he revealed already makes more worry. When Monte was discussing conflict resolution he noted that normally you'd roll to hit some target number, pitting your modifiers against it before rolling a die of some sort and hoping to get over that TN. (Monte seems to have become incapable of calling a spade a spade and instead calls it "challenge", but whatever.) The weird part is that magic is distinct from this and instead adds dice, which adds another variable to consider. Okay... And then he mentions that having magic on the other side will in turn require more successes to ultimately not fail. So what we have here is a conflict resolution system with three distinct but not independent variables, which can easily spiral out of control in the best hands. Monte, on the other hand, hasn't been so apt in the past even with one variable.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NGDBSS posted:

The one mechanic he revealed already makes more worry. When Monte was discussing conflict resolution he noted that normally you'd roll to hit some target number, pitting your modifiers against it before rolling a die of some sort and hoping to get over that TN. (Monte seems to have become incapable of calling a spade a spade and instead calls it "challenge", but whatever.) The weird part is that magic is distinct from this and instead adds dice, which adds another variable to consider. Okay... And then he mentions that having magic on the other side will in turn require more successes to ultimately not fail. So what we have here is a conflict resolution system with three distinct but not independent variables, which can easily spiral out of control in the best hands. Monte, on the other hand, hasn't been so apt in the past even with one variable.

It worked great for the Old World of Darkness. Million seller! Game of a decade! What could go wrong?*

*cue that Greg Stolze anecdote.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

NGDBSS posted:

Oh jeez. Monte, you have to learn that non-transparent mechanics are only good if they're solved. When you've got a TN, multi-die, multi-success system where every single part of it is variable all you've succeeded in doing is giving your more mathematically minded players a headache and an urge to kill. It's certainly possible to determine the probabilities of success on any given action in a system like that, but you'd spend hours if not days building your sets if you wanted to know probabilities of success for every action.

Also Monte, I don't think you did the maths for this, so I'm betting it's going to be full of D&Disms like if you roll for everything the system rapidly falls apart into a series of cascading failures for ordinary people trying to do ordinary actions.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

Arivia posted:

It worked great for the Old World of Darkness. Million seller! Game of a decade! What could go wrong?*

*cue that Greg Stolze anecdote.

Not familiar with this, is there somewhere I could read it?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

giving your more OCD minded players a headache
Totally approve!

(I actually agree with your general point though.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
From one of the Cook interviews - I like the sound/idea of this:

quote:

When those cards and symbols interact, they change the way magic works. Sometimes temporarily, sometimes for a longer amount of time. It is like magic is always in flux. The thing that’s cool about that is that it’s almost always player character actions which change it, so you can almost imagine it like this still pool, and every time the player characters do something, or often when the players do something, they’re poking their finger in the pool and it’s creating ripples. You start poking your finger a few times and the ripples start to interact, so magic is always different. And it’s because of these cards.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FRINGE posted:

From one of the Cook interviews - I like the sound/idea of this:

This is an interesting concept that I fully expect to be executed as "Snowy: +1 to ice spells for three rounds".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm thinking more Star Munchkin's Banana-fana-fo-phaser stacking modifiers bullshit.

No, wait. The Mystic Wanking Hand only has room for one card, doesn't it?

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 1, 2016

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Well the 1500 and 6000 dollar options sold out.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Well. This. This right here. This is a thing, all right.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

GaistHeidegger posted:

Not familiar with this, is there somewhere I could read it?

It's really simple. Greg Stolze is working on the rules for Demon: the Fallen, so he goes to White Wolf's development team and asks "Hey, what are the guidelines for modifiers for the Storyteller system? When does something affect the dice pool and when does it affect the target number?" They look at him, shrug and go "Dunno, pick whichever one feels good."

I believe this was what inspired Stolze to make ORE.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

I'm more interested in the Chaos Dwarf rear end Cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh man I don't even know what to make of the Dungeon Fantasty GURPS update.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps/posts/1670545

"Still, even if you decide not to support the project to receive a copy of the printed game, there are ways to join the project and completely avoid shipping. One of the best ways to participate and dodge pricey international shipping costs is to back the project at the No Reward level and then add-on a one-year subscription to Pyramid. That pledge comes to $71 and scores you one year -- twelve issues -- of Pyramid and any unlocked bonus PDFs. Backing the project in this way shows your interest in the game -- and GURPS overall -- and, if we succeed, you'll have the chance to buy the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game from your favorite local game store in 2017 after we release the game to distributors."

So... They're suggesting International backers who don't want to pay for shipping costs should instead back for PDF add-ons for a Pyramid subscription just to show enough support that eventually it might make it to a hobby shop somewhere near them? Is that right?