Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Klungar posted:

Civil War still has all the Avengers, and doesn't have Hulk.

black panther is kickin rad tho they can have all the lovely avengers they want including scarlet johansen as long as black panther is there taking no prisoners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Abu Dave posted:

black panther is kickin rad tho they can have all the lovely avengers they want including scarlet johansen as long as black panther is there taking no prisoners

Why did they surrender to the cops?

If they're gonna be all "raaar, I do what I like" why does the guy wearing the full suit of vibranium surrender to the cops?

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
On Civil War, how does Cap know ahead of time that Bucky killed Starks parents?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Alris posted:

On Civil War, how does Cap know ahead of time that Bucky killed Starks parents?

I just assumed it was offscreen. I figured he found out when he was researching The Winter Soldier in order to try to find Bucky. I didn't really consider it a plot hole. We didn't know that he knew, and then he told us and Stark that he did. In a non-comic-book movie, this wouldn't be considered an issue, it would be called a reveal.

edit: I think you are just asking and not calling it out as a plot-hole, but I googled to see if I remembered right, and a bunch of the hits were people propping it up as an example of how the MCU sucks.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Yeah, when it came up I thought it may have been a minor thing from Winter Soldier that was never built on and I had forgot about. It's odd that they didn't go into details especially in such a big budget movie but it doesn't really colour my opinions of it as a whole one way or another.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Alris posted:

Yeah, when it came up I thought it may have been a minor thing from Winter Soldier that was never built on and I had forgot about. It's odd that they didn't go into details especially in such a big budget movie but it doesn't really colour my opinions of it as a whole one way or another.

The death of Tony's parents was mentioned during Toby Jones' monologue in Winter Soldier, but they never specifically state that it was Bucky who did it.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

1) Cap knows that the Winter Soldier is someone Hydra uses to assassinate people.
2) Zola-bot tells Cap that Hydra assassinated Howard Stark.
3) ????
4) Profit Cap determines that the Winter Solider assassinated Howard Stark.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's not odd that they didn't go into details. Those details serve no purpose in the existing plot. If the story was a different one, where it was a part of the plot the Cap found out and he was super torn about it and a major point was whether he should tell Tony or not, then those details would matter. But the movie was already 2.5 hours long.

I was surprised that Tony's "relive your trauma for therapy" tech didn't get used to fix Bucky in this movie, even though im reasonably sure it will eventually.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
I'll have the opportunity to attend the Aspen Film Fest this September, and they've just released the line up. Trying to pick and choose which films to see.

Anyone have any reccomendations?

https://aspenfilm.org/aspen-screenings/

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

hobbez posted:

I'll have the opportunity to attend the Aspen Film Fest this September, and they've just released the line up. Trying to pick and choose which films to see.

Anyone have any reccomendations?

https://aspenfilm.org/aspen-screenings/
Certain Women and The Salesman seem like sure bets based on the directors. I've read positive reviews about Spa Night. That Michael Fassbender gangster film sounds pretty good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

GimpChimp posted:

Roma is definitely under the impression he's in for the Cadillac, he specifically chews out Williamson for costing him it when he blows the land sale.

His delivery of "What are you gonna do about it, rear end in a top hat" is epic. That little pause before rear end in a top hat sells the line so well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

regulargonzalez posted:

His delivery of "What are you gonna do about it, rear end in a top hat" is epic. That little pause before rear end in a top hat sells the line so well.

That movie's full of amazing line deliveries. And it's maybe the best example of Pacino being on that teetering edge between intense and complete caricature. The important distinction is probably that he isn't phoning in the subtler scenes (his bar convo with Lingk in particular) whereas later Pacino movies just wanted to bombast and didn't given a poo poo about anything else.

Spacey also has some great, undersold lines in that movie. He's also one of the best eye-movement actors around.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

LesterGroans posted:

That movie's full of amazing line deliveries. And it's maybe the best example of Pacino being on that teetering edge between intense and complete caricature. The important distinction is probably that he isn't phoning in the subtler scenes (his bar convo with Lingk in particular) whereas later Pacino movies just wanted to bombast and didn't given a poo poo about anything else.

Spacey also has some great, undersold lines in that movie. He's also one of the best eye-movement actors around.

You're completely right. Later Pacino would have shouted or even screamed that line. The cold, calm fury of the delivery is what makes it memorable. And that bar scene, where he ever so slowly edges into his pitch (I don't remember the exact wording but something like, "I want to show you a picture. Maybe it means something to you, maybe it means nothing") is so well done.

Think I'm due for a rewatch!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Abu Dave posted:

do you have to watch age of ultron to watch civil war or is civil war a sequel to winter soldier

Just watch the parts that include Hulk/Banner, they are the best parts (the intro, the party, Hulkbuster)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

regulargonzalez posted:

You're completely right. Later Pacino would have shouted or even screamed that line. The cold, calm fury of the delivery is what makes it memorable. And that bar scene, where he ever so slowly edges into his pitch (I don't remember the exact wording but something like, "I want to show you a picture. Maybe it means something to you, maybe it means nothing") is so well done.

Think I'm due for a rewatch!

I watched that movie for the first time about 3 years ago and hate that I waited so long. It's soo goddamned good. Think I'm gonna rewatch it as well.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

The first Mission: Impossible does it in a clever way that confused a lot of people

People have a right to be confused, the editing/execution of this was sloppy as hell.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Klungar posted:

Is... is this a joke post?
he probably was but Quentin Tarantino said that some people were legit confused about that and thought he really wasn't killed.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Klungar posted:

Is... is this a joke post?

All my posts are joke post. Intentionally or not.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is probably a TV question rather than movies but there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum so...

On some TV series DVDs, for instance the X Files as that's what I'm watching, what's the deal with the single pixel row of flickering horizontal lines at the top of the image? It's not on every episode, so I'm guessing it's something to do with a bad transfer from the original film and maybe it was useful in the original broadcast?

Google results suggest it's a result of upscaling or incorrect aspect ratio but I've checked that and as I said it's not on every episode. Sorry if I'm being dumb!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Probably sloppy work knowing that wouldn't be shown during broadcast due to overscan.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Quote-Unquote posted:

This is probably a TV question rather than movies but there are a lot of knowledgeable people in this forum so...

On some TV series DVDs, for instance the X Files as that's what I'm watching, what's the deal with the single pixel row of flickering horizontal lines at the top of the image? It's not on every episode, so I'm guessing it's something to do with a bad transfer from the original film and maybe it was useful in the original broadcast?

Google results suggest it's a result of upscaling or incorrect aspect ratio but I've checked that and as I said it's not on every episode. Sorry if I'm being dumb!

Could be closed captioning data that should've been cropped out. They were embedded in the analog signal as a horizontal line of bits outside the normal viewable image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EIA-608 (line 21, used in NTSC broadcasts)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext (line 16, used in some(all?) PAL broadcasts)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 8, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's almost certainly coded information put there by the lone gunmen.

The truth is out there.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
I like the work of film crit hulk but his gimmick is pretty tiresome. What are other sites that do similar analysis?

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Watching Throne of Blood and Kurzel's Macbeth tonight. Any other Shakespeare double features I should be watching?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Abu Dave posted:

do you have to watch age of ultron to watch civil war or is civil war a sequel to winter soldier

My friend who's never seen any Captain America films but both Avengers had no problem following Civil War, and even more anecdotaly his friend who hadn't seen Avengers but had seen Captain America was lost.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Could be closed captioning data that should've been cropped out. They were embedded in the analog signal as a horizontal line of bits outside the normal viewable image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teletext (line 16, used in some(all?) PAL broadcasts)

Yea, if the TV is set to dot-by-dot of full 100% (or whatever other TVs call their screen setting) that will show up. It's still apparent on some cable channels showing older programs. Similarly, VHS tracking shows up as flickering lines at the bottom of the screen when watching those on a newer TV.

There's a ton of older DVDs that have all kinds of imperfections on the far edges.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Cool, cheers. It was bugging me an unreasonable amount. Thing is, I've watched these DVDs before, on this TV even, but never noticed it before.

Snak posted:

It's almost certainly coded information put there by the lone gunmen.

The truth is out there.

I want to believe :tinfoil:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Grifter posted:

I like the work of film crit hulk but his gimmick is pretty tiresome. What are other sites that do similar analysis?

If it's not the third person talk, which he does more rarely now it seems anyway, but the all-caps that annoys you there are different sites that convert the text. Kinda hilarious that "film crit hulk text converter" brings up a few sites.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Lobok posted:

If it's not the third person talk, which he does more rarely now it seems anyway, but the all-caps that annoys you there are different sites that convert the text. Kinda hilarious that "film crit hulk text converter" brings up a few sites.
I probably should have left hulk out of my post, I'm looking for good film crit sites.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Grifter posted:

I probably should have left hulk out of my post, I'm looking for good film crit sites.

I like Vince Mancini of Filmdrunk.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gorman Thomas posted:

Watching Throne of Blood and Kurzel's Macbeth tonight. Any other Shakespeare double features I should be watching?

Lion in Winter and Ran

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
In Jeepers Creepers 2, what happened to the crazy black psychic lady from Jeepers Creepers 1? Also what happened to the police or other police trying to find out why the police department was attacked by a monster? The time doesn't really skip from the first to second movie, they would most likely still be looking.

Also in Jeepers Creepers 2, why did the monster take the main characters eyes and like everything behind them so you could see out his head? Are there like eye muscles all the way through?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tenzarin posted:

In Jeepers Creepers 2, what happened to the crazy black psychic lady from Jeepers Creepers 1? Also what happened to the police or other police trying to find out why the police department was attacked by a monster? The time doesn't really skip from the first to second movie, they would most likely still be looking.

Also in Jeepers Creepers 2, why did the monster take the main characters eyes and like everything behind them so you could see out his head? Are there like eye muscles all the way through?

You could see out his head at the end of Jeepers Creepers also. I assumed it was part of his taxidermy process.

It's been a long time since I saw it but I got the impression that the police and everything where in fact still going on. The story just doesn't follow them. Like, the monster flew away. They can write reports and investigate until the cows come home, but they aren't gonna find poo poo.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snak posted:

You could see out his head at the end of Jeepers Creepers also. I assumed it was part of his taxidermy process.

It's been a long time since I saw it but I got the impression that the police and everything where in fact still going on. The story just doesn't follow them. Like, the monster flew away. They can write reports and investigate until the cows come home, but they aren't gonna find poo poo.

They should have at least of told people that they could not stop Batman.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I also have a question about Jeepers Creepers. In Jeepers Creepers, why is it not a good movie?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hedrigall posted:

I also have a question about Jeepers Creepers. In Jeepers Creepers, why is it not a good movie?

It is a good movie? The director is a sex criminal so you probably shouldn't watch it, but the movie is solid.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
One of the worst kinds of sex criminals, I would say.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All the complaints I heard about the movie were based around the bad guy having a terrible reveal and it going downhill from there.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

One of the worst kinds of sex criminals, I would say.

Though you could make the case that unlike Polanski he actually served his time. Not very much time, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hedrigall posted:

Not good but slightly better than alot of other movies. Very rewatchable for some reason.