Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

highme posted:

My son came home from a show on Saturday night and mentioned running into a friend he hadn't seen in awhile. This is how the conversation went

Son: I saw Malek at the show tonight.
Highme: How's Malek?
S: He was dominating the mosh pit.
H: hip hop shows have pits now?
S: um, for the last couple of years
H: Not at any of the shows I've attended in the past couple of year
S: We don't listen to the same hip hop dad.

So basically, I've decided he listens to Nu Hip Hop.

You should hike up your pants and set this playing and invite him to join you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaz7OqyTHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Congratulations, your son is going to Limp Bizkit and (hed)P.E. shows.

Ain't nobody going to Limp Bizkit or (hed)P.E. shows under the age of 35.

RuanGacho posted:

You should hike up your pants and set this playing and invite him to join you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZaz7OqyTHQ

I was going to say, when I saw Cypress Hill, House of Pain & Funkdoobiest in 1992/93 the pit was ridiculous. So was the acid I was on, so that was an adventure.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

highme posted:

My son came home from a show on Saturday night and mentioned running into a friend he hadn't seen in awhile. This is how the conversation went

Son: I saw Malek at the show tonight.
Highme: How's Malek?
S: He was dominating the mosh pit.
H: hip hop shows have pits now?
S: um, for the last couple of years
H: Not at any of the shows I've attended in the past couple of year
S: We don't listen to the same hip hop dad.

So basically, I've decided he listens to Nu Hip Hop.

Ugh this is reminding me of Nu Metal in the 90s, which itself took up rap to augment singing.

Though I had a book on hip hop where the author complains about artists breaking from sampling and introducing melodies and progressions. I can believe it, along with accepting that Donald Glover bit about the inanity of much old school hip hop.

Music! :argh:

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

The classic rock college station here plays Green Day (as late as American Idiot), which is loving baffling to me.

Also to not be completely off topic, Clinton brought in $143M in campaign money, so doing nothing seems to be a good strategy

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Josef bugman posted:

So this "prairie home companion" is it a bit like the American version of The Archers?

The archers is a 15 minute radio show on radio 4 every day that details the fairly usual lives of people in a farming community/ small market town in England. It is exactly as dull as it sounds.

the archers is a soap opera whereas prarie home companion is a variety show, but aside from that the central theme is modern rural goings-on without any high drama or absurdity and they're both kind of boring

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Ups_rail posted:

I disagree, Remember that they were able to get women to fight against each other with the Equal Rights Amendment by framing it as "young women in the work force look down upon you simple salt of the earth older home makers"

As for the new ride the great awakening and the creation of the abortion controversy we just a generation ago. Alies won with his idea of fox news. Regan took his biggest internal critic H bush and made him vice president. Even though H bush called his economics Voodoo.

Also are media will bend over to blow the GOP and do that truth is in the middle poo poo. So yeah they can come up with a new bag the media will let the pundits lie through their teeth, and they could just wait for some scandal or incident to happen to the dems and prey upon it.

Yes, they were able to do that in the past. However they were also able to put people up for office who could get more than 2% of minorities to vote for them as well. They locked themselves into the echo chamber and now they're really feeling the effects. Turns out that while women are split on abortion and can be turned against each other demographically, they're pretty not big on talk of legitimate rape, the miraculous prophylactic powers of aspirin, or being dismissed for having blood coming out of wherever.

The GOP can't just hit reset by slapping a new coat of paint over their same old poo poo and carry on because while the attention span of the average voter makes flies look as long lived as tortoises, personally offending them sticks.

Munkeymon posted:

Yeah, I'm not a fan. GF loves Nelly for some reason, though :shrug:

My only complaints about my station is Steve Harvey in the morning and Sunday Morning Gospel. Other than that I can listen to a mix of good stuff from Funk Master Flash to the hottest acts of the late '90s.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Regarding SCOTUS smacking down NC'S voter ID law

Internet Webguy posted:

Too bad the lesson that will be taken away here is "be less blatantly racist next time."

If Scalia was still alive, blatant racism would not have stopped it.

The lesson is to keep trying while the Senate stonewalls until a liberal justice dies.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 1, 2016

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I can't even get over that there are people out there who actively dislike PHC. That's crazy. What a weird world.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So I found out the college station I spent a couple years at A. does not have the show I was a part of any more (punk and ska), and B. has switched from Alternative to Classic Rock for its main format. :smith:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

iospace posted:

So I found out the college station I spent a couple years at A. does not have the show I was a part of any more (punk and ska), and B. has switched from Alternative to Classic Rock for its main format. :smith:

They didn't change the music they play, dude.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

B B posted:

I just realized that I hate Garrison Keillor more for the Writer's Almanac than APHC. Imagine listening to the news on your early morning commute and having it interrupted by this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Np_CWhAP2Y

I just can't stand how pretentious/snooty he sounds.

Motherfucker, I will cut you. The Writers Almanac was my favorite part of my morning commute when I had a car. You get some education on culture and a nice poem to go with it, which is more than can be said for most of the stuff on public radio. Watch your back, you illiterate swine.

(My mother used to listen to PHC regularly so I built up a tolerance for Garrison Keillor's voice, but no I can't begrudge other people for not liking it, and yes, he thinks he's a lot more entertaining than he actually is and his programs go [or rather, went] on for too long. Writer's Almanac is pretty much the perfect length for him).

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
for radio i'm probably spoiled for choice because there's 89 different stations where i live.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

How could anyone not like Garrison Keillor's voice? What is going on in this thread? This world will never be the same.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Josef bugman posted:

So this "prairie home companion" is it a bit like the American version of The Archers?

The archers is a 15 minute radio show on radio 4 every day that details the fairly usual lives of people in a farming community/ small market town in England. It is exactly as dull as it sounds.

No, PHC is a variety show. There are sketches, and the best-known part of the show, "News from Lake Woebegon," is a little like what you describe (though it's really just storytelling.) But the best part of the show is the music: they get some really talented musicians to play as guests.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

for radio i'm probably spoiled for choice because there's 89 different stations where i live.

I only have 78 stations here, if I don't use a nice radio with an antenna extending outside.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

Just because they exist doesn't mean they have power. A union that can't strike or do collective barginning isn't a real Union.

The problem is that police unions are filled with police.

To put it more accurately, the problem is that you don't like the police. Unions are obliged to defend their membership (regardless of how bad a member's alleged misconduct might be), and your opposition to police unions comes from exactly the same place as conservative opposition to teacher's unions: it's not actually the union that bothers you, it's the idea that anyone might stand up to defend the members of that union. Unions, like defense lawyers, are adversarial entities whose purpose is to defend people - it is not their job to say "hey, actually, this looks really bad", and in fact that actively goes against their job, which is to give the benefit of the doubt and force people to really prove wrongdoing rather than just going along with allegations.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Diane Rehm makes more sense now. I remember like a decade ago she sounded like she was going to die on air so I was surprised recently noticing she was still doing her thing. I know its not her fault but her voice makes me want to kill myself and get it over with.

PHC is the perfect example to me of a thing you like in the abstract but can't stand actually listening to.

Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support: "I am so sorry but I believe Mr. Trump lost the election tonight," said Pena, a pastor at Waco's Christ the King Church. "The 'National Hispanic Advisory Council' seems to be simply for optics and I do not have the time or energy for a scam."

I can't imagine how deluded you have to be to have stuck with him this long.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I don't know how anyone could possibly listen to censored rap on terrestrial radio and not drive into an oncoming truck.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

FuzzySlippers posted:

Diane Rehm makes more sense now. I remember like a decade ago she sounded like she was going to die on air so I was surprised recently noticing she was still doing her thing. I know its not her fault but her voice makes me want to kill myself and get it over with.

PHC is the perfect example to me of a thing you like in the abstract but can't stand actually listening to.

Several Hispanic Trump surrogates reconsider support: "I am so sorry but I believe Mr. Trump lost the election tonight," said Pena, a pastor at Waco's Christ the King Church. "The 'National Hispanic Advisory Council' seems to be simply for optics and I do not have the time or energy for a scam."

God only knows what kind of thought process it takes for this one thing to be the breaking point. I guess pure self delusion had to keep her in before it finally broke.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Geostomp posted:

God only knows what kind of thought process it takes for this one thing to be the breaking point.

One too many pivot fakeouts

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

beejay posted:

I don't know how anyone could possibly listen to censored rap on terrestrial radio and not drive into an oncoming truck.

Same op but with prairie home companion

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

beejay posted:

I just recently discovered that Portland now has a station dedicated solely to "REAL HIP HOP". The couple of times I've listened it's been nothing but garbage rear end new club hip hop. Don't get me wrong, some people seem to dig it, but I was lucky to be able to get my finger to the power button right before I hit that oncoming truck.

Which reminds me, I really need to disconnect the antenna in my wife's car so she has to rely on Pandora again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Prairie Home Companion is awful but is still must-listen radio compared to the absolute festering shitpile that is Eklektikos with John Aielli.
I have never heard of this. Like at all. Is it a widely-distributed show?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FuzzySlippers posted:

gently caress you got mine goes a long way friend.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

I have never heard of this. Like at all. Is it a widely-distributed show?

Nah it's on KUT. Public Radio is so popular in Austin, they split it into a news only station and a music only station, I only listen to the news because NPR local music programming is garbage.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
From the author of the term "Trumpmenbashi", a nice article on evolving notions of race in the US:
https://decorrespondent.nl/5185/How-do-you-become-white-in-America/1376052132785-3b0bcf7b

quote:

Here it is important to understand how, exactly, Americans ‘become white’. The history of Polish-Americans is an illuminating example. Upon arriving in the U.S. en masse in the late 19th and early 20th century, Poles endured discrimination based on their appearance, religion and culture. In 1903, the New England Magazine decried the Poles’ “expressionless Slavic faces” and “stunted figures” as well as their inherent “ignorance” and “propensity to violence”. Working for terrible wages, Polish workers were renamed things like “Thomas Jefferson” by their bigoted Anglo-Saxon bosses who refused to utter Polish names.

The Poles, in other words, were not considered white. Far from it: they were considered a mysterious menace that should be expelled. When Polish-American Leon Czolgosz killed President William McKinley in 1901, all Poles were deemed See also this article from 1901 on McKinley's assassination. potential violent anarchists. “All people are mourning, and it is caused by a maniac who is of our nationality,” a Polish-American newspaper wrote, pressured to apologize for their own people. The collective blame of Poles for terrorism bears great similarity to how Muslims (both in the U.S. and Europe) are collectively blamed today.

Over the past year, Trump’s bigoted vision has resonated with many white Americans. Many supporters are the descendants of white ethnic immigrants who had faced discrimination just like the kind Trump and his fans display toward Mexicans, Muslims, and other recent arrivals to the U.S. Trump’s wife, Melania, is a Slovenian immigrant. Trump’s former campaign manager, Corey Lewandowski, is Polish-American. The ascent of a Polish-American to the head of a white supremacist campaign was perverse affirmation that, in the U.S., the Poles had indeed achieved “whiteness”.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

I can't even get over that there are people out there who actively dislike PHC. That's crazy. What a weird world.

I already have to listen to a boring old white man talk about boring old white poo poo when I'm at work. Why would I want more of this on the weekends?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fits my needs posted:

I already have to listen to a boring old white man talk about boring old white poo poo when I'm at work. Why would I want more of this on the weekends?

Sorry you can't enjoy Americana because your job sucks

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Trabisnikof posted:

Sorry you can't enjoy Americana because your job sucks

PHC is bad.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Let's all listen to the PHC on the way to Shoney's in the Buick!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Now sure. :v:

But seriously, PHC played a critical role in both the radio show revival and bringing folk music to new generations while also managing to promote an alright set of values.

Far better than we can say for most shows.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

To put it more accurately, the problem is that you don't like the police. Unions are obliged to defend their membership (regardless of how bad a member's alleged misconduct might be), and your opposition to police unions comes from exactly the same place as conservative opposition to teacher's unions: it's not actually the union that bothers you, it's the idea that anyone might stand up to defend the members of that union. Unions, like defense lawyers, are adversarial entities whose purpose is to defend people - it is not their job to say "hey, actually, this looks really bad", and in fact that actively goes against their job, which is to give the benefit of the doubt and force people to really prove wrongdoing rather than just going along with allegations.

We've been over this before. The union has no obligation to make statements regarding the victims of police violence after the police officer has been exonerated by the system. For instance when Tamir Rice's family got their settlement, there's no reason for the union to make a public statement (and a representative of the union making an statement is speaking on behalf of the union and thus the members of which) saying that the money should be used so that African American children can be taught how to act around police, directly saying that Tamir Rice was the one responsible for his own death. That is needlessly antagonistic towards the community and for absolutely no gain. That is a huge problem when that community sees the police as a threat and not something keeping them safe. It also highlights the disconnect that the police in general have in terms of their own responsibility and makes the police look bad publicly. A teacher's union defends a teacher when that teacher is accused of a crime just like a police union should. However I don't think I can remember a teacher's union calling a student a slut and kids should stop being so sexy after a teacher was found innocent of molesting one.

Police unions should be protecting their members but they also do bad or dumb things that go beyond that. We've had this discussion before and it goes in circles but I can't let it just sit there when you characterize the criticism of police unions purely as being angry that they are just doing what all unions do which is false. Also it's entirely possible to say that police unions need to alter their behavior in certain ways, that they can cause problems, and ALSO not want them made illegal or destroyed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 1, 2016

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It's midnight. You're posting in USPOL, cramming deep dish pizza into your mouth like Doritos while guffawing at the Arzying of CNN playing in the background.

That's when you hear...the sound. Your fingers continue to dance across the keyboard, of course, automatically continuing a multi-paragraph response that you're dead sure will stop fishmech in their tracks once and for all, but the rest of your body turns, your eyes widening in shock, as your eardrums begin to vibrate with those horrible, horrible words...

"Oh I hear that old piano...from down the avenue..."

As you collapse, your eyes instantly beginning to flutter shut, you can see a shadowy figure slip into your chair and, cackling, begin to type out "TRUMP IS UP BY FIVE colon arzy colon"...

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Now sure. :v:

But seriously, PHC played a critical role in both the radio show revival and bringing folk music to new generations while also managing to promote an alright set of values.

Far better than we can say for most shows.

Hipster's thinking they know folk music is not good.

As someone from a community and state that embraces our actual folk music culture, PHC sucks.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and This American Life are the only weekend NPR programming worth listening to.

Edit: Also, On the Media

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Jesus can we loving stop talking about college radio and Prairie Home Companion or is it just that slow a news day?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kro-Bar posted:

Jesus can we loving stop talking about college radio and Prairie Home Companion or is it just that slow a news day?

*checks tweeter* Yep, slow news day here in the USPOL mines

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Less PHC....more THC

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is painfully unfunny--the Borowitz Report of NPR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

It's midnight. You're posting in USPOL, cramming deep dish pizza into your mouth like Doritos while guffawing at the Arzying of CNN playing in the background.

That's when you hear...the sound. Your fingers continue to dance across the keyboard, of course, automatically continuing a multi-paragraph response that you're dead sure will stop fishmech in their tracks once and for all, but the rest of your body turns, your eyes widening in shock, as your eardrums begin to vibrate with those horrible, horrible words...

"Oh I hear that old piano...from down the avenue..."

As you collapse, your eyes instantly beginning to flutter shut, you can see a shadowy figure slip into your chair and, cackling, begin to type out "TRUMP IS UP BY FIVE colon arzy colon"...
:arzy: isn't an emoticon
:goonsay:

• Locked thread