Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paramount bought Desilu, which was also located next door to the Paramount lot. Then CBS got the TV rights to ST when Viacom (parent of Paramount and CBS) spun off CBS as its own thing like 8 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I know to be really true to history it should air on NBC, but rights issues can't really make that happen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So how the hell did 7o9's parent's ship get to the Delta Quadrant? Do they ever explain that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

So how the hell did 7o9's parent's ship get to the Delta Quadrant? Do they ever explain that?

They were stealthily shadowing a cube and fell into a conduit when it opened one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MikeJF posted:

They were stealthily shadowing a cube and fell into a conduit when it opened one.

Ahhhhhh. Neat. Seven is still terrible though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They should have had her parent borgs as regulars on the show. "Resistance to cleaning your alcove is futile. Your crybaby attitude will adapt to service us."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There hasn't been an official announcement yet, but several retailers have Beyond hitting blu-ray on 9/20.

That's drat fast and the surest sign yet that the box office completely ran out of steam.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Seven of Nine is really funny though. I saw an episode where they are using the Holodeck to recreate a cheesy 1950's sci-fi show, with a big goofy robot, and since 7o9 doesn't understand the game, she just dismantles the robot in five seconds, breaking the game.

"I am the Robotron!"
"I am BORG." *tears open its chest*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

There hasn't been an official announcement yet, but several retailers have Beyond hitting blu-ray on 9/20.

That's drat fast and the surest sign yet that the box office completely ran out of steam.
Weird...usually it's 90 days or more from release

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Seven of Nine is really funny though. I saw an episode where they are using the Holodeck to recreate a cheesy 1950's sci-fi show, with a big goofy robot, and since 7o9 doesn't understand the game, she just dismantles the robot in five seconds, breaking the game.

"I am the Robotron!"

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"I am the Robotron!"

Seven flipping the script on the 'what does it mean to be human' trope character was always great, especially in the context of Voyager.

"This is dumb, why are you assholes not trying to get home right now?" - 7 of 9

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I liked how Seven was conflicted on becoming more human, given her strengths are all deeply connected to her Borginess.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Cojawfee posted:

This guy gets it. Another trek nerd trying to be edgy and say the movie is garbage. All the movies are overacted garbage with lame plots, that's what makes them Star Trek movies.

He actually doesn't say it's garbage. He says it's better than STID but worse than the other movies in general. And by the end, he is struggling with wanting to be a fan of the new movies while reconciling that with a cornerstone of his youth, which he is acknowledging as something that is gone. It's actually a good review and describes accurately what many 90s Trek fans are feeling.

Now, excuse me, I have to go watch old episodes of the only true Saturday Night Live, the one with Dennis Miller, Julia Sweeney, Al Franken, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Rock, Chris Farley, David Spade, Adam Sandler, and Tim Meadows.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powered Descent posted:

(Roddenberry and company actually offered it to CBS, who passed because they already had a sci-fi show in development: Lost In Space!)

I believe CBS actually started developing Lost in Space after meeting with Roddenberry and hearing his Star Trek pitch.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

I noted that the Eaglemoss DS9 is now available again. Anybody have it? How is it?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Platonicsolid posted:

I noted that the Eaglemoss DS9 is now available again. Anybody have it? How is it?

I have it. I'd rate it a 8/10, but mostly because you can't really find another decent equivalent out there. It suffers from the same issues as most Eaglemoss models in that some of the docking pylons aren't 100% straight on the model. Several of the bottom pylons actually "curl" inward. It's not bad by any means, but it's noticeable. I'm not sure I'd pay the full $40 MSRP. Maybe see if you can snag it cheaper on eBay?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Mine came with ops bent to the side. Their models are really cool but it's a crap shoot if the parts were glued on straight or if the paint lines up. I was subscribed for a while but stopped when they started grasping at straws for new ships. I have all the ships I like plus some ones I don't care about. I picked up the 1701 A and TOS romulan warbird from eBay since those two are my favorite. Looking at what I missed and what's upcoming, I don't regret canceling. I might just buy the Norway to complete my stupid ships made for DS9 collection. I've got the saber, Akira, and steamrunner.

I wish they would have gotten all the good ships out of the way before doing all the lame stuff like Romulan drone. Plus the lame things they send for being subscribed for however many months. Why the hell did they do large versions of that stupid Klingon ship and the robocop ship from into darkness? Who wants that? Now I'm stuck with them.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I have the Equinox and Galor shipment arriving today and I'll probably cancel after that. I like that they're making models of ships no one else has, but yeah, the quality is too much of a gamble. I've had broken nacelles, completely unglued parts, wonky paint, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Are these mini's for a game or something? It's like pre-painted and assembled warhammer things?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

Are these mini's for a game or something? It's like pre-painted and assembled warhammer things?

They're desktop models, part plastic and part die-cast. Each one is 3-5 inches long.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They could be used for a game I guess. If you wanted to spend 20 dollars for each ship. Though I don't know how much Warhammer stuff costs.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cojawfee posted:

They could be used for a game I guess. If you wanted to spend 20 dollars for each ship. Though I don't know how much Warhammer stuff costs.

$20 per ship? A goddamn steal in Warhams world. I think that's the cost of a Space Marine scout bike, or a single melta gun bit.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cojawfee posted:

More, actually. You're looking at several hundred dollars each (plus dozens of hours of assembly and painting) to play a small-medium sized game these days while four of those Eaglemoss ships would be plenty for the kinds of battles we usually see in Trek.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

$20 per ship? A goddamn steal in Warhams world. I think that's the cost of a Space Marine scout bike, or a single melta gun bit.

Yeah a single character model is like $30 US now.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
MAC released their Star Trek makeup collection today and my sister works at one of their stores. All day selling makeup sets to neckbeards who have never talked to a woman before nor have any interest in what they're actually buying.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I wanted to eagle Moss but they won't let me in Canada. So gently caress em.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
So who's going to that NYC Star Trek convention this weekend? I'm pretty jazzed for it but will probably go just 2 of the 3 days mostly because I can not stand the Javits center. They seem to have a good amount of events! Hopefully it won't be too lovely/crowded but I'm not holding my breath.

I've got a 1/2 day at work tomorrow and am basically going straight there after work. I wanna wear one of my trek uniforms to the con but that means leaving work with it on and man I do not have the guts for that. It would be the day I get stuck in the elevator with the CEO for sure.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Apple Jax posted:

I've got a 1/2 day at work tomorrow and am basically going straight there after work. I wanna wear one of my trek uniforms to the con but that means leaving work with it on and man I do not have the guts for that. It would be the day I get stuck in the elevator with the CEO for sure.

Josh Lyman! :argh:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently they are screening TWOK in 4k tomorrow. Hopefully after this screening they'll announce it for UHD blu-ray.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Apple Jax posted:

Maybe wear clothes over the uniform?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

Apparently they are screening TWOK in 4k tomorrow. Hopefully after this screening they'll announce it for UHD blu-ray.

Of course, just after I bought the Director's Cut :negative:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Of course, just after I bought the Director's Cut :negative:

The director's cut is struck from that new 4k master. I honestly wouldn't expect the UHD copy to have much more perceived resolution due to the film stock used, but HDR could be interesting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

bull3964 posted:

The director's cut is struck from that new 4k master. I honestly wouldn't expect the UHD copy to have much more perceived resolution due to the film stock used, but HDR could be interesting.

Good.

That Roddenberry Vault Blu-Ray set is going to be three discs, but part of that is a selection of 12 TOS episodes with remastered mono and 7.1 audio options. Probably going to wait for a sale on that one.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I wonder what the wow.wad of holodeck programs would look like. I hope they get into this in a future series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ensign Sperglord goes over his storage limit of 45 gigaquads. The captain forces him to delete all his Elder Scrolls 45 giant boobs mods.

"Born too late to kill deer in the forest, born too early to kill deer in the forest in a holodeck. The federation fuckin BLOWS!" *replicates Mountain Dew Andorian Blast*

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 2, 2016

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

Ensign Sperglord goes over his storage limit of 45 gigaquads. The captain forces him to delete all his Elder Scrolls 45 giant boobs mods.

Hey, at least he's stopped clicking on the links in Iconian junk mail.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Hi, I'm an ousted Nausicaan prince looking to retrieve five million bars of gold-pressed latinum from my home planet. If you can help me with this I'll be obligated to reward you a percentage for your good deeds. Please send me your Bank of Bolias account information.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Paramount's been perfectly content to keep trotting out the old Blu-ray masters of the other nine movies since, like 2008 or 2009, and I'm convinced the only reason Khan got a 4K remaster was because Paramount decided it had to do something for the 50th anniversary. I wouldn't expect to hear announcements of UHD or new masters for a good long while.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That said, they went through the trouble and expense to actually do the 4k restoration and get Meyer to grade it in HDR. It would be dumb to do that for a single public showing. All the work is done, just press it to a disc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

Hey, at least he's stopped clicking on the links in Iconian junk mail.

oh man imagine sending Data down to the Ferengi home world

"are your ears too small to feel anything during oomox? get bigger lobe size now!" on repeat and with crazed tone changes each time