Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Hey, I'll admit you could be right. However, I'll be the first to say Not It!.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorka
Aug 18, 2014

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
drat I'd be up to play Dark age again, but I remember burning out on Lethantis not so long ago. I've also got PTSD from leveling an infiltrator on vanilla live.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
The issue is: f2p mmo game that's from early 2000's on a server where the XP grind will poo poo on people who didn't play the original.There's no point to another thread when everyone but 3-4 of us burn out after 2 weeks :\ I don't mean to be a downer, but every time a new server pops up, no one sticks with it and uth will most likely be the same way. At least origins/whatever the others were had increased XP rates to keep people interested till the bugs killed it all.

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Even with organized grouping only 10 of us would see it through 50 and maybe 6 of those through maxing a template.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
Breakpoints existed at all points through the game. It was fucky coding with the animations.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
I just updated the OP and mixed in some more Uthgard information. If you guys have anything specific that you want added for links or other tidbits let me know. Otherwise I'll try to keep up with the posts and grab relevant info to add to the OP.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Thanks Mr. Buttaballs

Just be specific that Uthgard is Old RAs and Old Frontier, specifically patch level 1.65

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
Probably a good idea to put a date there so people know soon means soon as of sept 2016.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
I tweaked the OP to be a bit more clear in the header about Uthgard.

Also, since I don't recall (and didn't see) a follow-up post about the patch 1.121 changes that went live a few weeks ago on the official servers, check out these changes:
http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/1121-live-patch-notes

The Herald posted:

Highlights
  • Display your valor at keep and tower sieges and be rewarded with our new contribution–based reward system!
  • Buffing and support classes have been given more active tools to control and impact the battle!
  • Alpha–striking is back on Assassins! Try out their improved Envenom and Stealth lines too!
  • Skald, Minstrel, and Bard classes have new speed–based buffs to dazzle their realm–mates with!
  • Light Tank stances and a charge class-ability allow them new utility and prowess on the battlefield!
  • Crafting has been sped up and simplified and SIegecrafting has been improved!
  • Crowd control has been given more potency as well as new counters to go along with it!
  • Several underused specializations have been given major facelifts on classes including Bainshees, Animists, Cabalists, Bonedancers, Paladins, Clerics, Druids, Shaman, and many more!
  • More Class Balance changes, along with several bug fixes, than could fit in the Highlights await those brave enough to venture onward through the notes!
...and then the subsequent hotfixes/tweak patches:
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121-hot-fix-and-client-update
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121-hot-fix-and-client-update-2
http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/1121b-live-patch-notes
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121c-hot-fix-update
Those, in a nutshell, are Broadsword continuing to tweak things since patch 1.121 was so massive. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan. So many things were changed or added that I don't really think it's DAoC any more.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Ew. No thanks.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Does Kazvall still have tourettes? This may impact my realm choice.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I still pop out amazing phrases while in the heat of battle, yes.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kazvall posted:

I still pop out amazing phrases while in the heat of battle, yes.

Hibernia it is, thanks!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I'll make an entire realm unplayable for you, anytime.

e: who are you anyway?

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 31, 2016

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

ButtaKnife posted:

I tweaked the OP to be a bit more clear in the header about Uthgard.

Also, since I don't recall (and didn't see) a follow-up post about the patch 1.121 changes that went live a few weeks ago on the official servers, check out these changes:
http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/1121-live-patch-notes

...and then the subsequent hotfixes/tweak patches:
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121-hot-fix-and-client-update
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121-hot-fix-and-client-update-2
http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/1121b-live-patch-notes
http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/1121c-hot-fix-update
Those, in a nutshell, are Broadsword continuing to tweak things since patch 1.121 was so massive. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan. So many things were changed or added that I don't really think it's DAoC any more.

I think its a great thing really, the meta was super stale, and its a good thing that they're trying to mix things up and change how classes work and what are the best setups.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Kazvall posted:

I'll make an entire realm unplayable for you, anytime.

e: who are you anyway?

Deuce. I am Deuce.

I played the first few days of beta but quickly decided I didn't want to burn myself out on a character that would just get deleted.

But seriously though I can't decide what to play. I want to play a Reaver, but am not sure I want to do it as a first character. We saw with the initial leveling rush that tanks have a hard time affording gear, and they start being poo poo at their job when dressed in grey armor. Easier to do once things are better-established and you've got cash from a level 50 to boost them. Plus, Reavers should really autotrain to at least 44, and being an autotrain gimp from 40-44 in the early rush when nobody has decent gear? f-that.

Once I get my desktop running again I'll log in and play around with insta-50s. For Alb I lean towards Sorcerer, maybe cabalist.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Reaver is a fine first choice. Yes, you'll have to AT but everyone knows you have to, and you don't get levi til 50 anyway. After that you're pretty essential in PvE groups. You won't be wanted as much in a 8v8 situation as soon as heavy/light tanks get to rr5. But, you'll dominate smallman with my Minstrel.

I've been cured of my tourettes, btw ;)

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
Reavers don't need to autotrain. You get a whopping 2 points in soulrending? Or a few in parry.

Unless you plan being the AMG superstar.

And you autotrain flex. Spec crush while you level. It's hardly gimped.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

The difference between autoing and not is having an instant lifetap that might actually land and not get resisted. I think that's pretty important.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PriNGLeS posted:

Reavers don't need to autotrain. You get a whopping 2 points in soulrending? Or a few in parry.

Unless you plan being the AMG superstar.

And you autotrain flex. Spec crush while you level. It's hardly gimped.

It's a breakpoint in the lifetap line, without the bonus points you'll be using a level 32 lifetap, which wont land very often at all.

It's incredibly gimped from 40-44 (or 48 if you go all out, but that's unnecessary), because you have to use an untrained weapon on a melee character. (your free respec comes at level 40,) In this patch era, the 40s are a pretty horrible slog, it's nothing like live where you can knock them out in an afternoon of questing.

The initial leveling wave makes things worse: everyone is in poo poo gear, groups are weaker than normal. As a second character, the Reaver can be funded by the level 50 alt so will be in good gear, and if you get your hands on a respec stone you can just use crush to 48 and actually contribute to a group.

What makes Reavers so valuable in pve? Just leviathan's DPS?

Deuce fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 1, 2016

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Pretty much. Levi + shield + chain armor and aoe damage/abs debuff.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Personally I don't think the server will be out until Christmas time. Hoping I'm wrong. But, the way i50 is going with only DF gear and no gold given out for horses/necklaces on creation, is making a lot of people not care.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004

Deuce posted:

It's a breakpoint in the lifetap line, without the bonus points you'll be using a level 32 lifetap, which wont land very often at all.

It's incredibly gimped from 40-44 (or 48 if you go all out, but that's unnecessary), because you have to use an untrained weapon on a melee character. (your free respec comes at level 40,) In this patch era, the 40s are a pretty horrible slog, it's nothing like live where you can knock them out in an afternoon of questing.

The initial leveling wave makes things worse: everyone is in poo poo gear, groups are weaker than normal. As a second character, the Reaver can be funded by the level 50 alt so will be in good gear, and if you get your hands on a respec stone you can just use crush to 48 and actually contribute to a group.

What makes Reavers so valuable in pve? Just leviathan's DPS?

You don't have to use an untrained weapon. You just don't use flex.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

He means he doesn't want to have to get a respec stone at level 48 to take those points out of crush. Regardless, respec stones are the easiest thing to get from the dragon because he drops like 25 of each type.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

PriNGLeS posted:

You don't have to use an untrained weapon. You just don't use flex.

Kazvall posted:

He means he doesn't want to have to get a respec stone at level 48 to take those points out of crush. Regardless, respec stones are the easiest thing to get from the dragon because he drops like 25 of each type.
There wont be any respec stones in the initial leveling wave, so you have to use the free respec at 40, dropping all your crush points, thereby having untrained weapons from 40.9 until 44 or 48.

Far easier as a second character, because you can get those respec stones once people are killing dragons.

WHY IS THIS CHOICE SO HARD ARRRRRGH

Deuce fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 1, 2016

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
you get a gold at creation for horses and porting. The DF gear is more than sufficient to test just about anything. RvR fighting is pretty well tested already, the only thing left to test is RAs, relics, and dragons.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

oh drat you get a gold now?

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
yeah been that way for a week or two.

if people would just loving get it together we could even drop a dragon but people are either farming gold, crafting, or running around like idiots in emain. nobody wants to take keeps or kill dragons.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

angry muppet posted:

yeah been that way for a week or two.

if people would just loving get it together we could even drop a dragon but people are either farming gold, crafting, or running around like idiots in emain. nobody wants to take keeps or kill dragons.

Even when this thing goes live I think keep taking will mostly be just to open DF and then vanish. They should really add in some of the RP/BP rewards for keep taking but PAAAATCH LEEEEVEEEEEELL

edit: and a free respec at level 5 would help a ton also.

Deuce fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 3, 2016

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
I know cabalists solo well, particularly once they get high enough to focus damageshield the pygmy goblins, but do they often go for raid content in this era? I vaguely recall with the new RA set that you could do pets above level 50 with the right ability set so that had some uses, but it looks like with the old RA set juggernaught only gets the pet to level 50.

I'm also a little skeptical of their RvR effectiveness without whatever RA it was that boosted your effective spell level for resist purposes. Trispec cabalist seems like it would have atrocious resist rates here. Maybe self-debuffed body nukes with 46 spirit/28 body? Although matter spec has the AOE dot spam and nearsight, so has the annoyance factor cranked up pretty good.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I know towards the beginning that the focus shield was crazy good. At this level I think it's still good, but I feel like it won't be used for anything except small Dragon Raids? At least Matter gets nearsight, and you can double dot. They will still be really strong in small man rvr, with a sorc buddy, with that debuff spec.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
There will be respec stones by the time you hit 50.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Created a Mentalist on Uthgard for now. Server seems to run smoothly. No rubberbanding like Genesis had.

No idea when they plan to wipe and launch though

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
If any of you still play this on live, I have team ice wiz setup and playing on alb.

Templated inf / armsman atm.

If you see cuteheals on that's me hit me up.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck
I just resubbed on live after doing the free month back. Mostly playing alb because it's the only realm I can get a group. Just started leveling a friar, swanksterz.

bongsnake
Jul 28, 2004
We're Jammin
Playing a smite cleric on live.

SMITE CLERIC.

BZZT.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Necro revamp announced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JCzWml3W1I

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
What is the current status on Uthgard? I played briefly for a day about two months ago when a short /lvl test was live.
Any news?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Evernoob posted:

What is the current status on Uthgard? I played briefly for a day about two months ago when a short /lvl test was live.
Any news?

It creeps ever closer. The housing issues are mostly fixed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

January 6th.
https://uthgard.org/home

• Locked thread