Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Yeah but they have the best rule 34.

I heard, that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I like them because it is so satisfying to mercilessly slaughter their asses as fast as possible

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Irithyll Dungeon is great and unlike most "worst levels" in Souls games I can't see why someone wouldn't like it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Irithyll Dungeon is great and unlike most "worst levels" in Souls games I can't see why someone wouldn't like it.

Plenty of reasons. None of the enemies are interesting or challenging to fight against, thus quickly robbing the zone of any feeling of danger. The area's atmosphere isn't maintained well: there's the initial shot of the Jailer walking past the entrance, and that's a genuinely terrifying moment, and then the weird Dragon Baby staring back at you, after which they apparently just gave up trying to maintain the tension. The spooky screaming loot hollows are amateurish jump scares that need no more elaboration. The basilisk trap at the end of the sewers is absolutely idiotic and goes against one of the basic rules of the game (which is that you can, if you pay attention to your surroundings, reasonably anticipate what's going to happen when you do something). Half the chests are mimics. It'd be forgivable if the level design was interesting, or it had a good aesthetic, but it's a bunch of dull gray halls leading into brown halls in a more-or-less linear path.

Mostly, like the rest of the game, it feels like wasted potential. There's a perfect opportunity for a genuinely terrifying level, here, and it completely fails to live up to that.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The dungeon definitely felt weaker than tower of latria to me. The jump scares are so hilariously dumb that whoever decided to put them in should be ashamed--From's proven they can do incredibly good atmosphere without having to resort to jump scares of all things. I couldn't take the area seriously in any way after I saw the first one. It's not good when a 7-year old, much more experimental game does atmosphere better.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I hate the Irithyl dungeons cos its hard as gently caress sometimes

Super satisfying to finish it, so good job From

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
100% chance that anyone claiming the dungeon screaming corpses are cheap and puerile shat their loving drawers the first time they triggered one

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I dont like it because it doesn't have a boss :(.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Azuth0667 posted:

I dont like it because it doesn't have a boss :(.

Yea same. Especially when you invade some douche who pops a seed and then runs all the way down to Yhorm.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
The only thing in the game i cant ever seem to handle are the jumping ghru wrestler things. Fuckers always kill me a few times in any playthrough. Well, except for my pyro playthru.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Maleh-Vor posted:

Now I kind of want to do it, but I don't even know when you get any offensive miracles in the first half of the game.
Edit: Looks like the first offensive miracles besides Force are in either Cathedral of the Deep or Farron Keep.
Did you never find the Lightning Spear? Because you can get that really early on if you go into Farron Swamp and go up the elevator that takes you to the other side of that Bridge near undead settlement. It should be right next to the dead dragon.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Yeah but they have the best rule 34.

I heard, that is.

:yikes:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

skasion posted:

100% chance that anyone claiming the dungeon screaming corpses are cheap and puerile shat their loving drawers the first time they triggered one

The first one gave me an adrenaline rush, and every subsequent one just made me sigh out loud. All it needed was a cackling pumpkin tumbling out of a cell to really complete the Halloween horror feel. It didn't help that it was the most generic "layered man screaming" noise that they had. Coming from the team that did the foley work for Orphan of Kos, it was disappointing.

If there had been the one at the very start, and one at the very end, that would've been fine, but shoving four of them in at various points weeds out the potential for terror too quickly.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 2, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

skasion posted:

I did, yeah. It's still cheap and puerile

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I also tangentially dislike Irithyll Dungeon because it leads straight into the hot, wet fart of a level that is the Profaned Capital.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
The Dungeon needed more wizards in cells going HUURRRREEEGHGGHHHHHGG

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't like the dungeon because sometimes when you invade the game plays the ear-splitting corpse scream as soon as the world loads. That scream is way too loving loud when you're wearing headphones.

Also it has way too many mimics.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't like the dungeon because sometimes when you invade the game plays the ear-splitting corpse scream as soon as the world loads. That scream is way too loving loud when you're wearing headphones.

I got sooo tired of killing mimics, now I just blow like 50k souls on hunter charms every playthrough.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

VerdantSquire posted:

Did you never find the Lightning Spear? Because you can get that really early on if you go into Farron Swamp and go up the elevator that takes you to the other side of that Bridge near undead settlement. It should be right next to the dead dragon.

Yeah but it sucks. I had a faith build that turned into RAW rear end and pyromancy really quick. Faith would be more useful for NG+ runs. You don't get the interesting stuff until then anyway.

I'm tempted to start a run using the twin hammers. Anyone have experience with them?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

twin hammers are super fun to use

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Willfrey posted:

I got sooo tired of killing mimics, now I just blow like 50k souls on hunter charms every playthrough.

I usually wind up with about 8 symbols of avarice per character because ever since I found out you can farm them I always use charms and a coin. It's right there in the name!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The twin hammers feel really cool up until you realize their hitbox is stupidly small, at least relative to other weapons. You really have to get right in the face of everything to use them. Which is fine in PvE but its god awful for PvP against multiple foes.

Also they look really cool when you buff them.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Vermain posted:

I also tangentially dislike Irithyll Dungeon because it leads straight into the hot, wet fart of a level that is the Profaned Capital.

Me too! I just had to co-pilot my wife through that mess today. It feels unfinished, and not just for the lack of a boss. You go underground, one bonfire two shortcuts bada bing bada boom you're at the last bonfire. Can't hold a skull lantern to the voyage into knee liquifying terror that was the catacombs/pinwheel/tomb of the Giants/Gravelord Nito :black101: , or the trip down the well, through the rat kingdom and the gutter in DS2 (okay black gulch was a bit of a wet hot fart too, to be fair.) Oh and Yhorm wasn't the most climactic confrontation in the world, either.

Yeah, not much of a delve, that's my problem. It's not a real hero's journey without a proper descent into the underworld.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
While I agree that the Profaned Capital is really underwhelming, I have to give credit to it for the hand hippos. Those things freak me out so much.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

Since I've got a bub in the house I now play games either really, really quiet or with headphones. With headphones the scream is ear shattering, and without you can still hear it even though every other sound is barely noticeable.

Not to mention Irithyll Dungeon felt a bit rough and unfinished like the Profaned Capital - I was knocking Jailers into the level geometry and babies were clipping through poo poo with reckless abandon.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i actually kind of missed having a descent-focused area like blighttown or the gutter. both those areas were pretty alright. black gulch was entirely lovely and kind of brings down the gutter some because of it, but it's still kind of okay.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

While I agree that the Profaned Capital is really underwhelming, I have to give credit to it for the hand hippos. Those things freak me out so much.

Not only that, they were super tanky. Here's how I cheesed them like the big brave man I am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCl89xnxvLc

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wouldn't call Black Gulch lovely, its just really short which is disappointing. It looks way more scary than it ends up being. The Gutter has this whole theme where it starts out mysterious and foreboding but then you light it up and realize its a garbage heap filled with rejects. The most dangerous part of it is slipping on the shoddy woodwork. Then you enter Black Gulch and its supposed to be this "oh poo poo" moment where you see all the poison statues and realize this is the really dangerous place.

But the boss is just a short jog down poison road so that feeling gets quashed pretty quickly.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Not only that, they were super tanky. Here's how I cheesed them like the big brave man I am: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCl89xnxvLc

Yeah they're really tough if you don't know about the trick where you can visceral them with a throwing knife during the grab. I still have trouble with that trick though just because seeing one rear up for a grab makes me panic and play like an idiot.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Johnny Joestar posted:

i actually kind of missed having a descent-focused area like blighttown or the gutter. both those areas were pretty alright. black gulch was entirely lovely and kind of brings down the gutter some because of it, but it's still kind of okay.

Yeah descent focused, well put. Both in blight town and the gutter I had this "oh sweet baby j no!" moment when I looked down and realized I had to go down into a terribly bad place. I even got it in Salt and Sanctuary. I didn't ever get that in DS3.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

You looked, didn't you

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Beat the game 2x but have never seen that part of the Profaned Capital. Where is it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

You know how to reach Yhorm when you enter the capital, you head left? Go right until you find the poison swamp with a building in it. You go on the roof of that building to reach the keys to rescue Sieg. Go into the building to fight those guys.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Internet Kraken posted:

The whole game has too many Mimics. I feel like it kind of cheapened the trick when the very first chest you might find is a Mimic.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
DS3 needed more traps and a sens fortress like area. I miss invading in sens fortress.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

No need to cheese them as they are super weak to bleed. Like hilariously weak. Just throw some Carthus Rogue on your weapon and you're good to go.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

No need to cheese them as they are super weak to bleed. Like hilariously weak. Just throw some Carthus Rogue on your weapon and you're good to go.

That is sort of what was done, with the Kurki, but you're otherwise correct. Taking one out with the bleed knives isn't a bad idea, but rouge on a relatively fast hitting weapon will take them out in like two stamina bars, if that. When I went through it was actually on my dagger/bleed build. I came a little that there was finally a high HP, bleed vulnerable NPC that was all but tailor made for my build to eviscerate.

Felt a little dirty about it because they are literally fart monsters, but we don't pick our fetishes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

RyokoTK posted:

The whole game has too many Mimics. I feel like it kind of cheapened the trick when the very first chest you might find is a Mimic.

I feel its a very DARK SOULS thing to have the first one be a mimic, but then having so many of them was a mistake. Also the first mimic in DS was noticeably different than all the previous chests so there was a hint that you should be careful which DS3 lacks.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Spite posted:

Yeah but it sucks. I had a faith build that turned into RAW rear end and pyromancy really quick. Faith would be more useful for NG+ runs. You don't get the interesting stuff until then anyway.

I'm tempted to start a run using the twin hammers. Anyone have experience with them?

I'm gunning for them on my current cleric build - going to make them raw and buff them with 60 faith.

Lightning Spear sucks compared to other ranged spells but when it's used as From seemingly intended (at point blank, where you get the sizeable damage bonus) it's not bad in the early game.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Digirat posted:

The dungeon definitely felt weaker than tower of latria to me. The jump scares are so hilariously dumb that whoever decided to put them in should be ashamed--From's proven they can do incredibly good atmosphere without having to resort to jump scares of all things. I couldn't take the area seriously in any way after I saw the first one. It's not good when a 7-year old, much more experimental game does atmosphere better.

I agree. I also think that enemy placement, and type, helps add to the atmosphere in Latria as well. The Jailers in DS3 aren't quite as menacing as the mind flayers either, but I think that just may be personal preference there. I think my favorite "horror" area in one of From's games is the Upper Cathedral Ward. A few good jump scares, good music, and a nice use of sound makes the area a tense experience, albeit a shorter one than Latria.

DS3 has some really good areas but I don't think they quite have the atmosphere of some of the levels presented from previous entries in the game.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

I think bleed in DS3 may be the best it has been in any of the Souls games. Lots of enemies and a few bosses are weak to it.

Also, I kind of wish the parrying dagger had parry mapped to R1 and weapon skill to R2, since it's not like you can attack with it when it's in the left hand. Would make using the RR more convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

My wife was looking at a message next to Ladersmith Gilligan's body by the profaned capital bonfire and started laughing and rated it up. I asked her to go back and read it, she did and it said "visions of spouse".

I asked why she liked it and said "Someone else playing this game has a big bellied husband that passes out on the floor too."
:guinness: