Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alzion
Dec 31, 2006
Technically a '06

KakerMix posted:

Listen if you aren't hot rodding around a star while fuel scooping then you are a chump of the highest order and probably also pee your pants like a baby.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

KakerMix posted:

Listen if you aren't hot rodding around a star while fuel scooping then you are a chump of the highest order and probably also pee your pants like a baby.

I don't know what hotrodding is, but I scoop at full throttle.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rah! posted:

Nice, that's exactly how I do it too. Haven't crashed into a star since the first time I played. Though sometimes I'll zoom past at an angle if I'm not scanning or I'm in a rush.

Anyone else play with orbit lines off? I turned them off way in the beginning, because they screwed with my immersion (:qq:). I've since gotten pretty good at judging the parallax of stations and figuring out the right angle to approach from so that I'm in front of the slot. As for stars I just use my heat levels to judge if I'm too close while scooping.

I switched orbit lines off a couple days after I started playing and never looked back

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

This is the proper method. If you have a smaller scoop, just throttle down when it maxes out. But flying straight at the star is madness. MADNESS!!!! :ohdear:

I like orbit lines because they help me orient to the ecliptic more easily. :shrug:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

That would require me to pay some sort of attention instead of watching Netflix, destroying the whole point of this game

Elite for me is like a half step above an idle clicker

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

spacegoat posted:

I've started playing this again and have been enjoying myself just dicking around. I've started doing assassination missions that have been paying around 150K (I'm Mostly Harmless) and have been able to complete them without much trouble. I just took a 50K one that sprung a mission signal source near the target planet, so I dropped out and got ganked by two Master level NPCs. My target wasn't there, either. Am I doing something wrong, or does the game just gently caress you like this sometimes?

Reposting because this has happened a couple times now and is getting annoying. Is BH a viable way to make money? Doing transport runs/mining doesn't interest me much.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yes, just not really with board missions.

Hit up a resource extraction site and wreck poo poo instead, they spawn a constant stream of wanted targets.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Rah! posted:

Nice, that's exactly how I do it too. Haven't crashed into a star since the first time I played. Though sometimes I'll zoom past at an angle if I'm not scanning or I'm in a rush.

Anyone else play with orbit lines off? I turned them off way in the beginning, because they screwed with my immersion (:qq:). I've since gotten pretty good at judging the parallax of stations and figuring out the right angle to approach from so that I'm in front of the slot. As for stars I just use my heat levels to judge if I'm too close while scooping.

Orbit lines are for newbie players who haven't learned to properly dock yet. I turned them off immediately.

PS- Star scooping without orbit lines is easy- there is a haze around every star that ends where the proximity limit is.

DarkMoJo
Nov 19, 2011

I use the haze too. There's a small margin where you can fuel up without taking any additional heat.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

tooterfish posted:

Hit up a resource extraction site and wreck poo poo instead, they spawn a constant stream of wanted targets.

Sweet, thanks I'll give that a go.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Asp scooping: Stick the line to the lettering at the top and fly in circles, nudging the mouse slightly once in a while, until you're full
Anaconda scooping: Squint hard at the screen and wiggle the mouse a lot based on if numbers are going up or down.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

A) What do I need to get 2 collector limpets active at once? Just 2 collector controllers?

B) Does it matter what I'm mining?

C) Is it being in a hazardous RES that means you get micromaterials rather than regular ore?

D) How likely am I to get blown up while doing this?
A) Any of the "3" sized collector limpet controllers will let you have two collectors out at once. You can also use 2x size "1" collector limpet controllers. Heck you can also use 1x size 1 controller but maybe a third to half of the asteroids there will me multiple micromaterials floating out at once and 2x limpets seems to be a good balance between waiting for collection and having one be idle too long. Why they hell do you go like a kilometer away when retrieving something, limpet?

B) Not at all. Fire a prospector into any asteroid, don't care about what it says the composition is, mine it dry. Prospector limpets increase the number of fragments you can mine by around 3x. Tons of mining ore fragments will come out, but your limpets will only pick up micromaterials for engineers if you don't have a refinery on board. Note: having a refinery but deactivating it does not work. Some asteroids have more micromaterial count in them than others, they say "Material count: high" but you'll spend all night looking if you just try to find those. The micromaterial loot is random with a high chance of common materials like carbon, nickel, sulphur, and down to a low chance of getting zirconium, cadmium, and tin. I think the type of ring matters (metallic, icy) but metallic rings seem to give me all the low level mats I need to power through all the engineer stuff.

C) I believe Hazardous RESes just means there are more "hits" per asteroid. More hits is higher chance of there being a micromaterial.

D) 0 chance. Make sure there is nothing in inventory other than limpets. Space pirates will kill you over a 100 credit reinforced mount, but don't give a fuuuuuck about you if you have limpets and nothing else. They'll scan you and move on. Because your limpets never pick up any inventory items, just micromaterials, they'll never even deploy hardpoints.

And yes it is pretty chill. If you have VR it is beautiful because you can just hold down the mining laser trigger and stare off at the wonders of space around you. I guess with just mouselook too, but monitor space looks like looking through a window at a picture of space, so I can see why people watch Netflix 90% of the time if they play on a monitor. Also thanks to whoever posted the link to Emancipator (band) I didn't realize how well trance (or is this trip hop? or ambient?) worked with space. Anyone got any good downtempo music for space? I am old so all my frames of reference involve Portishead.

CapnBry fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 2, 2016

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shoutout to the people who didn't instantly murder me when I showed up to Jacq station

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

KakerMix posted:

lol at this non pants pisser

Mike the TV posted:

there is a haze around every star that ends where the proximity limit is.

Cool, I never noticed that.

Libluini posted:

I switched orbit lines off a couple days after I started playing and never looked back

:feelsgood:

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 2, 2016

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I've just been getting into scoop range and throttling back a little. I never drop out of supercruise though.

Probably not efficient with larger ships but in the sidewinder I've been topping off with about 2 passes and then getting on my way in a minute or two.

On another note, I got interdicted again and decided to turn and fight instead of running this time. Then I got to make a stop to collect my bounty on the way to dropping off my data shipment. Good times.

I did try heading out toward Wu Guinagi, but it's 250+Ly away and it wouldn't let me create a route. Maybe there was a jump that I couldn't make with my paltry 8.25Ly max jump range? Or do I just have to eyeball it till I get close enough to create a route?

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 2, 2016

Luccion
Jun 14, 2008
It dawns on me that this thread has finally enlightened me as to how the brown sea complains about getting interdicted right after jumping into a system. They most likely throttle down on the jump as described by some here. With their rear end hanging out, they would be perfectly lined up to be interdicted. I've never noticed this or experienced it, and I think it is because I'm always full throttle out of a jump and have to dip whichever way to avoid the exclusion zone of the star, but that would make me significantly harder to interdict upon entering the system.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jay_Zombie posted:

I did try heading out toward Wu Guinagi, but it's 250+Ly away and it wouldn't let me create a route. Maybe there was a jump that I couldn't make with my paltry 8.25Ly max jump range? Or do I just have to eyeball it till I get close enough to create a route?

Get a 2B FSD then sell your guns/racks/scanner. That'll get you the range (in a Sidewinder) to get out there.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I continue to pick this game up as a pseudo Freelancer substitute and once I got into the flow of taking on missions with the occasional farming at nav beacons, I've been having fun.

So lately, I've been flying with a Diamondback Scout as my immediate upgrade from an Eagle, and I loved it--so much so I got a paint pack for it. However, as I keep taking combat missions, they not only escalate in difficulty but in terms of enemies thrown at me at once. Even normally decent Salvage missions end up throwing 4 enemies in my face and I'm not good enough to handle them all without getting creamed.

So now I do simple trade data/boom delivery jobs and I'm enjoying them. Essentially I'm playing Elite more like Space Truck Simulator and it's working out well...except that because I keep the Scout multipurpose, it's annoying to keep having too few slots for higher paying courier jobs.

So now I'm thinking about flying a Diamondback Explorer--kitted out combat wise just to deal with interdictions or maybe plink at half-dead wanted folk, but otherwise toot around in space for missions. In fact, I already bought one as a spur of the moment and it's sitting in a station.

Is it worth trying out or upgrading? Have I made a mistake? Anything I should know about it in relation to the DBS, what I might or might not like?

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Morter posted:

So now I'm thinking about flying a Diamondback Explorer--kitted out combat wise just to deal with interdictions or maybe plink at half-dead wanted folk, but otherwise toot around in space for missions. In fact, I already bought one as a spur of the moment and it's sitting in a station.

Is it worth trying out or upgrading? Have I made a mistake? Anything I should know about it in relation to the DBS, what I might or might not like?

I was flying a DBX as a combat-y multirole kinda thing a little bit before engineer stuff came out and I really liked it, it's completely different from the DBS unfortunately though. A lot fatter and more bricky though, no where near as nimble and quick. With a few engineer upgrades I'm sure it would be quite a bit better.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Same but I also pee my pants. Is that a dealbreaker in this game?

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Mehrunes posted:

To prevent cargo loss prioritize your Cargo Hatch or get a better powerplant!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Mahatma-Squid posted:

I was flying a DBX as a combat-y multirole kinda thing a little bit before engineer stuff came out and I really liked it, it's completely different from the DBS unfortunately though. A lot fatter and more bricky though, no where near as nimble and quick. With a few engineer upgrades I'm sure it would be quite a bit better.

It's alright, It's not like I'm pulling off sick moves in a DBS. M+KB with flight assist :sweatdrop:. I plan on changing that once I get a decent joystick of some kind but for now I just want to know if it's worth investing.

I guess I should take a look at engineers, too...

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Does anyone really do combat on a multirole ship? Every time I try I get frustrated at how not-vulturey ship XYZ is and go get a vulture.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Mehrunes posted:

Until they model ship interiors with toilets, we all pee our space-pants.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

We all fly around in Crysis suits. Self regulated internal systems!

timn
Mar 16, 2010

DreadLlama posted:

Does anyone really do combat on a multirole ship? Every time I try I get frustrated at how not-vulturey ship XYZ is and go get a vulture.

Nothing gives quite the same feeling as dogfighting in a Vulture, but bigger heavier ships can be a nice change of pace in combat. Flying tactically in a big ship to keep small ships at a disadvantage is a rewarding challenge.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Mailer posted:

Get a 2B FSD then sell your guns/racks/scanner. That'll get you the range (in a Sidewinder) to get out there.

Ah, I gotcha. Thanks! So it won't let me create a route that my ship is incapable of jumping.

I was a little leery of going completely gunless, but I suppose if I'm going to get blown up for lack of fighting back, a mostly stock Sidewinder it probably the best ship to do it in. And being a casual with only a few hours in game, I wasn't sure how often I'd be in a shooty situation not of my own making.

Gromit posted:

Until they model ship interiors with toilets, we all pee our space-pants.

In space, no one can hear you pee your pants.

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 2, 2016

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Jay_Zombie posted:

Actually, the ship has special sensors which pipe artificial noise into your helmet. It's how you can hear other ships flying by...and other pilots peeing their pants. :eng101:

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

I've had a Cobra forever and I really like it but I'm looking to switch to something a little more combat focused. I'm leaning towards a Viper MK4 because I hear that they can be set up to be annoying to kill because of how much damage they can take and on paper it looks like a straight up beefier Cobra. Plus they sound cool. The Vulture looks nice too, but it's a lot more expensive.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A courier is good too.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Actually, the ship has special sensors which pipe artificial noise into your helmet. It's how you can hear other ships flying by...and other pilots peeing their pants. :eng101:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - You're not a real Space Trucker, unless you pee your pants.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Are they high definition piss pants though?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the final oculus plugin...

Vorlonesque
Sep 18, 2005

Killing planets since 1876

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Your suit also comes with a genetic engineered parasite that will reside in the entrance/exit of the anus and feed on your feces. For urination a tiny Bear Grylls lives in your pants as well to drink that.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

tooterfish posted:

Holy poo poo thanks for this. I made 200k in a couple of minutes tag teaming dudes with fed help. gently caress board missions.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I'd rather do board missions than restrict my playing of the game around nav beacons and asteroids.

That's why I asked about Explorers earlier. :kiddo:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jay_Zombie posted:

How should I be going about this? I guess that buying commodities first and then trying to sell them somewhere else might be the opposite of what I should be doing. Should I be looking in the commodities market for what's in high demand where I'm at and then heading off somewhere to buy it and bring it back?

The short answer is use one of the external websites.

The slightly longer answer is;

Your market screen shows the average galactic prices on the right. Go to the top and hit the label, and it'll give a dropdown of the systems _you know_, pick one, and it'll show you what's exported to and imported from that system.

You can get a visual, but crowded representation by hitting the map and turning on the trade routes, but you need to filter them down to make sense, and they won't show all the routes unless filtered. You either have to buy the trade information, or have visited a system to have the trade information available.

As a rough rule of thumb, agricultural and industrial are opposing ends of a spectrum, ship crop harvestors one way, food the other. Likewise for extraction, refinery and industrial, high tech, but there it's mostly minerals and metals vs machinery and equipment.

Finally, keep a notepad handy. I tend to note down things when I'm pootling around, especially if I'm looking to cycle standing between a couple of systems; I don't like travelling without cargo when I'm doing trading runs.

But these days I use an external website to build routes.

KakerMix posted:

Not empty-quoting.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
I was able to grind out a Viper IV pretty quickly doing it. Once I've got enough cash I'll go back to board missions cause I want to explore, too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Morter posted:

I'd rather do board missions than restrict my playing of the game around nav beacons and asteroids.

That's why I asked about Explorers earlier. :kiddo:

I really like my DBX, I kitted it out for exploration and now I'm sitting near the galactic core after about a week. I'm pretty sure the asp is a straight upgrade but the DBX handles way better on high G planets and I'm kinda sure it's faster in a straight line. Also it looks cooler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Jay_Zombie posted:

I was a little leery of going completely gunless, but I suppose if I'm going to get blown up for lack of fighting back, a mostly stock Sidewinder it probably the best ship to do it in. And being a casual with only a few hours in game, I wasn't sure how often I'd be in a shooty situation not of my own making.

You will get interdicted a lot, and interdiction is mostly a magical process where ships pop into existence and then pull you back in time to a space many Ls from where you were. Thankfully there's nothing in the game stopping you from running. See the Goofus/Gallant comic on the front page.

quote:

When the multicrew patch hits whomever is piloting will automatically pee his pants when scooping. Other crew can look around the cabin and will receive a special Point and Laugh gesture to be used.

• Locked thread