Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Wait wait wait are you guys saying anti-immigrant sentiment could, possibly, NOT be about jobs and welfare but actually about white people not wanting non-whites as neighbours?

e: lol Biden

Dr Dracula
Oct 30, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Grimey Drawer

Yinlock posted:

I see this a lot and yet I've never seen any evidence of it.

If it was your job to put out a press release for the party out of power a few months before the election what would you do differently? [original quote:]

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

prefect posted:

Who on Earth would not want a taco truck on every corner? :confused:

Not me. I make my own tacos. :smug:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Martout posted:

Wait wait wait are you guys saying anti-immigrant sentiment could, possibly, NOT be about jobs and welfare but actually about white people not wanting non-whites as neighbours?

that cant be the truth, we have a black president

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

agreed let's only discuss white men from here on out

ok

white men suck

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Ah yes, in the office on the Friday before Labor Day. Lots gonna get accomplished today. F5 F5 F5.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/imrayrod/status/771702488617455617

Hmmmmm, agree

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ostentatious posted:

ok

white men suck

your statement is problematic, please revise

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ostentatious posted:

ok

white men suck

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Schnorkles posted:

Also the best moment of this election was Rubio on the debate stage before NH.

He had vastly overperformed expectations in Iowa, was looking really good in NH in polling and was probably a strong performance there away from uniting the establishment wing of the party and almost certainly winning the nomination and then the presidency [because Rubio could and probably would have beat HRC]

and then he short circuited on live national television.

RIP 3-2-1 strategy.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
The national economic implications of a taco truck on every corner

The first question we must answer is how many trucks we're talking about. A corner is dependent on an intersection of street, a place where two roads meet or where one road turns. For the purposes of our thought experiment, we will assume that Gutierrez didn't mean a truck literally on every corner — that would be ridiculous. Instead, let's assume that he meant a truck at every intersection.

There doesn't appear to be an official tally of the number of intersections in the United States, in part thanks to our using this term to describe a lot of possible combinations of streets.

We do have estimates of the number of intersections with stoplights in the country, though. In 2004, the Institute of Transportation Engineers estimated that there are 265,000 "signalized intersections" in the country. But that report also included a rule of thumb suggesting a ratio between the number of intersections with stoplights and the population: For every 1,000 people, one intersection with a stoplight. That doesn't quite hold in New York City, where there are 12,460 intersections with stoplights and a population of only 8.4 million. But it's fairly close, so let's use it. That would peg the current number of intersections with stoplights in America at 322,000.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

biden. curing cancer, rolling burittos, breaking hearts

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fart blood posted:

Not me. I make my own tacos. :smug:

WIll you make me a taco pleas?

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

zoux posted:

Did Trump somehow effectively deal with the birther stuff, that seems like an odd thing to completely let go unchallenged by the media

he did a 'lots of people are saying that wasnt his real birth certificate by the way' like a month ago but it fell through the cracks because emails

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

abracadabra. you are now a taco.

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Nietzschean posted:

Build Free Taco Trucks at Every College

Build the wall out of Taco Trucks.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

we all know this is fake, and yet very real at the same time

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Schnorkles posted:

Also the best moment of this election was Rubio on the debate stage before NH.

He had vastly overperformed expectations in Iowa, was looking really good in NH in polling and was probably a strong performance there away from uniting the establishment wing of the party and almost certainly winning the nomination and then the presidency [because Rubio could and probably would have beat HRC]

and then he short circuited on live national television.

Is there a video of this?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Karl Sharks posted:

we all know this is fake, and yet very real at the same time

diamond joe is the president we need but not the president we deserve

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Nietzschean posted:

that cant be the truth, we have a black president

Well, since large sections of the anti-immigrant crowd and their chosen presidential candidate definitely aren't prone to spreading and believing rumours and conspiracy theories about said black president I guess it's all good.

Phew.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

iospace posted:

Well, the Trump/Ailes rabbit hole goes deeper:

https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/771687818292785152

I would be willing to bet Kelly was joking when she said this, lol, it sounds too clueless

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

much like the dean scream it wasnt actually all that big a deal but wonks have seized on it; dude just repeated (the same) talking points instead of different ones

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

What kind would you like? Carnitas? Chicken? Tilapia? Veggie? Work with me here.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

CarlCX posted:

sort of

the series focuses way more on being weird as it goes on, so if you read Gateway and think "the parts that were about weird alien poo poo were the good parts" you'll like the other books, if you were more in it for the character drama you'll be a little disappointed

TheOneOutside posted:

Excellent

Also Baloogan, don't read past the first book in the Gateway sequence.

It gets bad

real bad

Rama Revealed bad

i like weird alien poo poo but the character drama was pretty good too.

also the rama books holy poo poo sucked after the first one dear lord

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Truga posted:

Oh my god, how did you not see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRNHgi1RzU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

About Bossie, he became a delegate to the RNC in June. In the 1998 he was fired for being too feverently anti-Clinton, and in the 2000s he lived in looney conservative limbo land. This is how quickly the Republican party is changing.

quote:

“I’m now a member of the RNC,” Bossie boasted during an interview this week, tugging at the official party credential that dangled from his neck.His ascension, he said, is a sign that the “establishment is really moving much more towards the conservative movement, which is an exciting thing for the grassroots.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2016/2016/07/20/david-bossie-citizens-united-democrat-hillary-clinton/87331000/

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every corner? I'd stop at every single one for a single delicious taco, everywhere I went.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Equeen posted:

The unemployment rate being around 4-5% is a sign of a stable economy, though?

Yes, many economists believe that it is near or at full employment but the real number is actually much worse because the released numbers don't include black high school students that don't have jobs.

But it doesn't matter because the people that are complaining about Obama's job numbers either don't know what they are talking about or they are lying. His numbers aren't spectacular but pulling out the great recession they are nothing worth complaining about.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Dr Dracula posted:

If it was your job to put out a press release for the party out of power a few months before the election what would you do differently? [original quote:]

are they required/expected to put out a press release?

when i hear about a jobs report i don't immediately think "what does the other party's press release say about this?"

honestly, i'd love it if the republican party had economic policies that actually helped grow the economy in a healthy fashion, competition of working ideas is good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mirthless posted:

I would be willing to bet Kelly was joking when she said this, lol, it sounds too clueless

Yeah, why would they poison her before the debate kerfuffle?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

That's wonderful, thanks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fart blood posted:

What kind would you like? Carnitas? Chicken? Tilapia? Veggie? Work with me here.

Carnitas!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

prefect posted:

The national economic implications of a taco truck on every corner

The first question we must answer is how many trucks we're talking about. A corner is dependent on an intersection of street, a place where two roads meet or where one road turns. For the purposes of our thought experiment, we will assume that Gutierrez didn't mean a truck literally on every corner — that would be ridiculous. Instead, let's assume that he meant a truck at every intersection.

There doesn't appear to be an official tally of the number of intersections in the United States, in part thanks to our using this term to describe a lot of possible combinations of streets.

We do have estimates of the number of intersections with stoplights in the country, though. In 2004, the Institute of Transportation Engineers estimated that there are 265,000 "signalized intersections" in the country. But that report also included a rule of thumb suggesting a ratio between the number of intersections with stoplights and the population: For every 1,000 people, one intersection with a stoplight. That doesn't quite hold in New York City, where there are 12,460 intersections with stoplights and a population of only 8.4 million. But it's fairly close, so let's use it. That would peg the current number of intersections with stoplights in America at 322,000.

This sounds like an excellent proposal to both create jobs and tacos.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

fart blood posted:

for some reason i want some arepas now

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

fart blood posted:

Any of the above, all of the above.
gently caress I haven't had good tacos in a long time.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

tankadillo posted:

whoever was making analogies to Trailer Park Boys characters, if Trump is Julian then this guy is Jacob Collins.

Trump is clearly Ricky, without any of the endearing qualities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGf_CANMzvw

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Night10194 posted:

This sounds like an excellent proposal to both create jobs and tacos.

But it's where we're headed, apparently, if Trump loses. That's good news for the economy in one way. If you assume that three people work in each truck, that's 9.6 million new jobs created. The labor force in August was 159.4 million, with 144.6 million employed. Adding 9.6 million taco truck workers would help America reach nearly full employment — and that's just the staffing in the trucks. Think about all of the ancillary job creation: mechanics, gas station workers, Mexican food truck management executives. We'd likely need to increase immigration levels just to meet the demand.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I might make an effort post about Bossie later, but here's a taste. The group he started, Citizens United, was responsible for the Willie Horton ad in 88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

looks like that new york magazine article is resulting in yet another lawsuit

https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/771708720619323393

Oh no, another Murdoch-owned media accused of hacking? Paging Brown Moses.

• Locked thread