Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rdbbb posted:

it's not edgy unless klansmen are involved. today's kids are too soft

Have you not seen the news in the past few years? Racism has gone mainstream again. Now it's edgy to say that people of other cultures aren't subhuman monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

what i wanna know is out of the 650+ catchable pokemon, how many of them would be capable of eating one's balls

Mr. Mime ate my balls!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Is there anyone out there that collects nintendo starlight hospital consoles?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Awkwardly, that child is in the hospital due to exposure to N64 controller dust.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Mark Hamill there is wondering just how the gently caress that girl managed to gold medal Escape from Fest on her first try.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What? I would love to see this

Found it. It's an emulator, I thought it had the games built in as a demo.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Would it be sane to just grab a CRT because of how anything up to PSX games looks amaze balls on one?

rdbbb posted:

it's not edgy unless klansmen are involved. today's kids are too soft

I want no less than ten instances where we call our creatures the n-word. :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I question the sanity of anyone who doesn't have a 100lb outdated device just to play another outdated device.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"I'm a mouth-breathing huffer of my own farts who eats from my own butthole and hooks my old games up to my Black Friday Wal-Mart special LCD TV!" - everyone who doesn't have a CRT for their retro games :colbert: .

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Excuse me "I'm a mouth-breathing huffer of my own farts who eats from my own butthole and hooks my old games up to my xrgb-mini to my panasonic plasma made out of pioneer kuro parts"

your pleb crt only wishes it could get blacks as good :colbert:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

SHOTS FIRED

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Everyone needs a CRT if only for authentic light gun fun with the original hardware. (and for the nostalgic power on sounds)

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Tyson Tomko posted:

Everyone needs a CRT if only for authentic light gun fun with the original hardware. (and for the nostalgic power on sounds)

Speaking of, I finally managed to track down a couple of these adapters so I can play my PS1/2 lightgun games via s-video/component

it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

widespread posted:

Would it be sane to just grab a CRT because of how anything up to PSX games looks amaze balls on one?

To sum up everyone's answers... yes, get one. Preferable a Sony Trinitron or comparable model for other brands. Just make sure it is a SDtv and not one of the later "HD" CRTs since they don't do 240p as well. Really look for something with s-video and component to get the best from all systems, however most CRTs <20" didn't have component. It was definitely worth tipping the thrift store guy $5 to help shove the 27" 100lbs Trinitron in the front seat of my Mustang and then lugging it into my house unbeknownst to my wife. Made me mad that I ever sold my CRT TVs back in 2007-2008 once I had everything hooked up.

I have everything up to and including PS2/Xbox/GC hooked up to my CRT and anything newer on my HDtv's.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Point taken. I'll try to thrift store raid in the near future. Having a job isn't too kind on me let's say.

absolutely anything posted:

Speaking of, I finally managed to track down a couple of these adapters so I can play my PS1/2 lightgun games via s-video/component

it's niiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Oh, prob should ask. If the game in question is a light gun game, could I use a burned backup of a game with actual light gun hardware? Also, is the price of an old PSX light gun steep?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

widespread posted:

Point taken. I'll try to thrift store raid in the near future. Having a job isn't too kind on me let's say.

Ya, I went on a saturday and happened to catch Goodwill's 50% off day. so I got the TV, a stand, a Gamecube, and some PS2 games for like $50.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FireMrshlBill posted:

Ya, I went on a saturday and happened to catch Goodwill's 50% off day. so I got the TV, a stand, a Gamecube, and some PS2 games for like $50.

Like, I do have a GC allllll the way back from 2001-2002. But like, it's probably in my best interests to at least get newish controllers, if not outright replacing it. Been inactive for quite a while, so it might have degraded noticeably?

Also yes, do splurge on Goodwill's 50% Off days. Most of the time the goods still work well.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

widespread posted:

Oh, prob should ask. If the game in question is a light gun game, could I use a burned backup of a game with actual light gun hardware? Also, is the price of an old PSX light gun steep?

Yeah, burns/flashcarts/etc don't run any different than legit copies (unless it's like a dreamcast situation where they had to lower the quality of video/audio to make them fit on a cd-r) once you get 'em working. As long as you have a gun, a CRT and a game you're good to go (you'll need that video adapter i posted or one of the bulkier sony ones that also split off the audio to use anything other than composite though) . Also both PS1 and PS2 Guncons go for like $15, and if you're going for a PS2 one make sure it has this adapter or you won't actually be able to use it!

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

So I went a little bit nuts-o this past week and decided to try FF7 out on all the forms I have it in (well, I didn't try my PS4 version because it is upstairs and everything else was downstairs). Here is my ranking of quality:
- PSone hooked up to my 14" PVM via RGB, looked amazing
- PC version (the higher resolution update, not original PC release, the PS4 release would be comparable)
- PSP-3001 playing the PS store download
- PS Vita 2000 playing the PS store download
- PS2 playing my spare physical copy on my Trinitron via component (though PS1 hooked up via s-video to the trinitron looked better and brighter, it was dark and kinda blocky on the PS2)
- PS3 playing the PS store download (looked really bad, which was surprising because the MyLifeInGaming guys made it sound like that was the 2nd best way to play PS1 games after RGB PS1 via a framemeister, and it looked horrible unless I had some settings off, I have tolerated playing PS1 games on my PS3 for years but the side by side comparisons were night and day).

Having 6 screens with FF7 going at once and playing to the first save point was kinda interesting. If playing a RGB PS1 via framemeister looks at least 80% as nice as my 14" PVM... it is a definitely worth it over just playing PS1 games via PS3. Again, unless I had some settings off that I do not know about, but the colors looked kinda washed out and the picture was block with absolutely no upscaling at all. I did have the smoothing on in the PS3 and messed with the different screen sizes and nothing looked remotely good.

I originally played FF7 on the PC back in 1998, and seeing it on my PVM via RGB from the PSone has been the best that it has looked since playing on the family PC back in day on a 13" crt monitor.

Since I don't have a Framemesiter, I was considering doing some gameplay capture of PS1 games via my PS3 for a video review I want to do of all the 007 games. However, now I may just do my PSone via s-video as that may look even better. will have to test it out unless anyone has any hints for making PS1 games look better on the PS3. Or maybe disks look better than the PS store downloads of PSone classics?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

widespread posted:

Like, I do have a GC allllll the way back from 2001-2002. But like, it's probably in my best interests to at least get newish controllers, if not outright replacing it. Been inactive for quite a while, so it might have degraded noticeably?

Also yes, do splurge on Goodwill's 50% Off days. Most of the time the goods still work well.

eh, I'd try them out first, they are probably still fine as long as they weren't stored with the analog sticks being smushed in a direction rather than being at neutral. My N64 controllers are still 100% to this day and they are way more fragile than GC controllers were.

The GC itself is probably fine, I would think the disc drive would die out from overuse more than no use... but you never know. If it is dead and you don't have any use for the Gameboy Player on the GC, then getting an original Wii with GC backwards compatibility for the 480p on a newer TV is probably better anyway.

I only had a PS2 during that era but had a GC for awhile before finding the one that thrift store. It just had the digital out port and the one I had prior was A/V out only, so I picked it up for the future whenever BadAssConsoles figures out the plug and play component/HDMI options for the GC.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 2, 2016

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

FireMrshlBill posted:

eh, I'd try them out first, they are probably still fine as long as they weren't stored with the analog sticks being smushed in a direction rather than being at neutral.

Uhhhhhh... I might have had a bad habit as a kid then.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

It starts in 1982. I was born in `81. I'm old and irrelevant.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Allen Wren posted:

Ugh. Now I'm depressed. I clicked on a stupid clickbait listicle because I was bored. It was "the most popular game the year you were born", so I figured I'd look at it, find its picks hilariously wrong, have a laugh about it. I click on the thing, bring up the first item.

If it helps any DnD came out the year I was born. But yeah CRTs are really only needed for light gun games. But ya need at least a 19" set or it still sucks. Especially with Guncon games as they require and reward precision shooting. ( And now that I'm not IRCing Kthulhu5k can't try to get me to buy PMVs and various forms of Apple Hardware. It's much harder to enable me now. My spend shaming self hatred can't be eased as much this way! )

Everything else I generally just say gently caress it and emulate if my Composite Commodore monitor can't handle it. Madcatz SF4 TE stick for all the stuff. Ok Vectrex needs it's screen but it's built in. And owns. gently caress modding everything, spending poo poo tons of money on flash carts and controllers, and XRGB/Pmv shenanigans. I just want to play fun games as easily as I can and could give a deck of poo poo about scan lines. But I like owning legit versions of games so I'd rather my time and money go there as opposed to hacking poo poo to be what an emulator can already do.

(Even if I love having an original Atari 800. It's a giant ugly rear end beast of metal, metal, and more metal surrounded by shades of beige and brown. And I have a 130xe model too. I'd get a XEGS and an 800xl if I could rationalize such stupidity. I cannot. )

Light Guns and other gimmick controllers are really the only draws to original hardware and CRT stuff. Or ease of use/times where I don't want to turn the Windows 7 rig on. A quick hour on the Mac Plus? Sure! The main PC isn't turned on unless I have 4-5 hours of time for it.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Fwiw the Nintendo mass-DMCA included more than just Gamejolt--the AM2R guy got a DMCA takedown request sent to his personal email address (earlier takedowns were just sent to individual download hosts) so it's really truly dead now.

https://metroid2remake.blogspot.fr/2016/09/no-future-for-am2r.html

eshock fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Sep 2, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Well, that sucks but at least it's been out there for a while.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I'm shocked they went to 1982. Video games literally did not exist until Nintendo released the NES in the United States.

Most popular video game in the year of my birth was probably Colossal Cavern.

You're definitely Donkey Kong, BTW.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So would the theoretical overlap point between cheapest/lowest effort setup and highest visual accuracy be emulating with an old CRT monitor?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Allen Wren posted:

I'm even older and more irrelevant!

I spotted this on Wikipedia the other day, and if nothing else it proves that you're never too old or irrelevant to play videogames and learn something from them:

Spy Hunter wiki article posted:

In the Murder, She Wrote episode titled "Hit, Run and Homicide", Jessica realizes the solution to the episode's mystery while playing Spy Hunter in the Cabot Cove grocery store.

Hopefully the solution was "the murderer escaped by driving into a boathouse, thus immediately transforming his car into a boat and speeding off to freedom, leaving behind several mystified police officers on the road".

Fair play to her, though. You never saw Quincy getting one over on a gang of corrupt property developers by beating them at, say, Zaxxon.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

So would the theoretical overlap point between cheapest/lowest effort setup and highest visual accuracy be emulating with an old CRT monitor?

Only if you turn on the scanlines option on your emulator.

pinacotheca posted:

I'm even older and more irrelevant!

I spotted this on Wikipedia the other day, and if nothing else it proves that you're never too old or irrelevant to play videogames and learn something from them:

Hopefully the solution was "the murderer escaped by driving into a boathouse, thus immediately transforming his car into a boat and speeding off to freedom, leaving behind several mystified police officers on the road".

Fair play to her, though. You never saw Quincy getting one over on a gang of corrupt property developers by beating them at, say, Zaxxon.

It's got to be that the killer drove his car into a semi.

And that killer's name was Michael Knight.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Serious answer, those children's hospitals probably still have those same setups hooked up they just have Wii U's installed now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well, I'm actually managing to have some fun with P.N.03, despite some fascinatingly tanky controls.

This game also has the silliest jump animation I've seen in a while.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Where do you find time to play it between updating your modular crafts in Space Engineers, Neddy?

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
I'm hoping that guy who used a combination of a raspberry pi , an led and a wiimote to make classic lightguns work with modern TVs actually starts producing kits because I would not mind parting with my trinitron in that case. While I like the classic look of the CRT I'd rather play with my framemeister on a 55" LED. But I keep the old beast around because I love my old lightguns.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Miles McCloud posted:

I'm hoping that guy who used a combination of a raspberry pi , an led and a wiimote to make classic lightguns work with modern TVs actually starts producing kits because I would not mind parting with my trinitron in that case. While I like the classic look of the CRT I'd rather play with my framemeister on a 55" LED. But I keep the old beast around because I love my old lightguns.

Wii style"light guns" have never felt as good to me as a CRT scan based light gun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wii style"light guns" have never felt as good to me as a CRT scan based light gun.

Wii-style are more like moving a mouse cursor and clicking rather than actually aiming and hitting a target. It works fine with how it's generally used (a big honking crosshair on screen), but it's not quite as satisfying as shooting a falling leaf or UFO before your friend does.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wii-style are more like moving a mouse cursor and clicking rather than actually aiming and hitting a target. It works fine with how it's generally used (a big honking crosshair on screen), but it's not quite as satisfying as shooting a falling leaf or UFO before your friend does.

Correct. The cursers also show your hand shakes and just feel bad because of the lag they have. The ones that don't show the curser are slightly better, but have poor accuracy.

beaver_cheese
Feb 13, 2001

Bad day for that beaver.
Any supergun recommendations?

The Windy City one looks ok, but I'm really new to Arcade stuff and don't really know what I'm looking for. Is there a go to "perfect" supergun to get?

Anything I should know about jamma / superguns? Is it really just plug in the jamma and play?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It works ok in House of the Dead Overkill where if you have the right seating setup it's like you are Sex Machine in From Dusk Till Dawn and are shooting zombies with your gun codpiece but yeah.... Not exactly proper Time Crisis or Virtua Cop play.

It's a little like trying to emulate/simulate spinner paddle or trackball controls with a mouse. It works most of the time but.. It's still wrong and deep down your lizard brain KNOWS IT. "Uncanny Valley" of game controls if you will.

I guess for some folks that's why they need original hardware and CRTs to begin with. To their brains things feel off. To me it doesn't but given my first lookups on 1997 internet was pretty much emulation I have clearly been cool with that aspect of gaming. But I have never really had platform zealotry anyhow. IDGAF. I have always just wanted to play more fun games. ( Doesn't mean I don't have issues with most of the companies that made all this stuff mind you... )

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Captain Rufus posted:

But I have never really had platform zealotry anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

beaver_cheese posted:

Anything I should know about jamma / superguns? Is it really just plug in the jamma and play?

No you typically need to adjust voltage and brightness for each board. Personally I'd get one where the brightness adjustment is on a single (triple) pot rather than separate ones for R G and B. If you can solder look into building one they're super easy and only cost like $50 to make a really good one. Also do you need a pure RGB signal like you get from an RGB SCART console or do you need it to output component or something, because this affects the price

edit: also I don't see any way to adjust the voltage or brightness with that windy gaming one which is way more concerning than the case

d0s fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 2, 2016

• Locked thread