Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

The Sphinxster posted:

You seem to be having a grand time making up poo poo to argue with. Enjoy!

The meltdowns are always the best part of any thread, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Zzulu posted:

asian fighters really struggle in modern martial arts, most of them get destroyed in the ufc

this is contrary to what movies has taught me :(

the 1980's was just like 10 years of mis-marketing karate and karate-like nonsense

wrestlers knew

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Keg posted:

He also became a pro wrestler and without telling anybody he was going to do it beforehand, decided to pull a real knife and put it to a guy's neck on live TV.

Wtf!?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
they need to change mma scoring and ref standup for wrestling

if i wanted to see someone spend three minutes of their life being crushed under 300 dead pounds of sweaty laundry id marry brock lesnar

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Which guy was it who looked like a total slob but managed to dominate one of the divisions with the fierce strategy of "never stop throwing haymakers"

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
everyone looked like a total slob in the early mma days

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Zzulu posted:

90lb? Was it a literal child that annihilated you?

an extremely fit 5'5 or so woman.

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Zzulu posted:

everyone looked like a total slob in the early mma days

this is true of every athlete pre 2000 or so

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sharzak posted:

an extremely fit 5'5 or so woman.

that's pretty hot

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

http://i.imgur.com/GIYV2Hj.mp4

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Pride posted:

the 1980's was just like 10 years of mis-marketing karate and karate-like nonsense

wrestlers knew

Some styles of karate do well in MMA and American style kickboxing is just like a combo of karate and boxing. Something like kung fu, though, always seems more performative. I'm sure there are places that teach kung fu as a more legit martial art, but not many seem to do that. Whole lot of mis-marketing and exoticizing of eastern martial arts, though, has lead to them having larger than life reputations. Also extends into the historical perceptions of their martial arts too.

Today, though, most MMA striking seems to be some mix of boxing/muay thai/kickboxing/karate. Occasionally you get rare stuff dropped in the mix - like savate - but those seem to be the most common. I think some guys in the Chinese MMA groups do sanda, but none have really gotten huge in American promotions.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Rondel rozay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's racist

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I've watched a few MMA fights in my day, but I know jack poo poo about actual fighting and techniques. And I'll be honest, a leaf falling from a tree onto my head almost gives me a concussion, so a question...

When a dude throws an elbow into some guy's face or is doing the ol' elbow-strike-to-the-head-over-and-over move, how are they avoiding shattering their own elbows or hitting their funny bones?

From a couple pages ago but aside from the adrenaline and whatever, fighters condition certain bones. When you hit a bone over and over it's kinda like a muscle in that it responds by building up more calcium deposits there. That's why a bunch of muay thai or BJJ dudes kick rubber trees and poo poo; to get their shin bones just mad strong. That's also how people can hit those wooden training dummies super hard with their arms/shins. The flip side is that it's fairly easy to gently caress your poo poo up like that so you're hobbling around like a 70 year old with arthritis at 40.

On the other hand, if you don't condition your poo poo right this happens to you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewj8T6E7XRA

Someone in the comments said he was prolly training hard too soon before the fight and didn't give his bones time to properly recover and yeah that comment is prolly right.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 2, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Probably all the steroids he was abusing, loving up his wretched body

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

asian fighters really struggle in modern martial arts, most of them get destroyed in the ufc

this is contrary to what movies has taught me :(

There isn't the same network/infrastructure for MMA over in Asia so a lot of the really good fighters aren't even really aware of MMA or whatever in the same way. It's catching on though and we're seeing some really good fighters from the Asian leagues coming in. The ONE championship in Singapore has some really cool dudes.

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

There isn't the same network/infrastructure for MMA over in Asia so a lot of the really good fighters aren't even really aware of MMA or whatever in the same way. It's catching on though and we're seeing some really good fighters from the Asian leagues coming in. The ONE championship in Singapore has some really cool dudes.
Thats a cool theory
Personally i think its because most asian people are tiny wussies so they get wrecked more often

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean there are a little under a billion asian men. And almost 30% are incapable of penetrative sex. It lowers the potential pool enormously

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Zzulu posted:

martial arts is about RESPECT

*mounts my opponent and turns their face into hamburger*

AND HONOR

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

There isn't the same network/infrastructure for MMA over in Asia so a lot of the really good fighters aren't even really aware of MMA or whatever in the same way. It's catching on though and we're seeing some really good fighters from the Asian leagues coming in.

Yeah, I imagine that, at some point, more Asian fighters, outside of a few from Japan and Korea, will be able to go further in the UFC. Just a matter of time. I'm sort of surprised you don't have more coming in from Western and Eastern Europe, since kickboxing and boxing are both pretty popular out there, but I think those numbers will grow too.

Regardless of the areas that produce fighters, though, I think the styles are all going to look basically the same. Depending on a fighter's background there may be differences (X was a boxer, Y has focused on BJJ) on how they move during matches, but nothing really major.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You have a lot of european fighters in the UFC but MMA is still a very niche sport in many of the larger European countries. Like, I only know of a handful of German fighters in all of MMA and a couple of Scandinavian ones. The rest are from eastern europe and the UK. I don't even know if there's a single spanish fighter in the ufc

Most of the UFC events take place in America, during American timezones which makes it hard as a European sometimes to follow the sport like you'd want to

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx
the good thing about eastern martial arts is that they serve as sort of a lighthouse of people to avoid interacting with

for example, if someone unironically tells me they practice some kind of kung fu or tae kwon do poo poo or has it on their resume then i know with full certainty that they are some kind of spergo retard

*bows*

*exeunt dojo stage left*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk why you'd ever put that on your resume lol but i don't see the problem with whatever form of exercise someone wants to do

most of those MMA fighters did kung fu or tae kwon do or jui jitsu too lol, usually some combo of all of them

except cross fit that poo poo is hella dumb

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
asian martial arts vs reality;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Cigstomper58 posted:

I mean there are a little under a billion asian men. And almost 30% are incapable of penetrative sex. It lowers the potential pool enormously

:confused:

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Zzulu posted:

You have a lot of european fighters in the UFC but MMA is still a very niche sport in many of the larger European countries. Like, I only know of a handful of German fighters in all of MMA and a couple of Scandinavian ones. The rest are from eastern europe and the UK. I don't even know if there's a single spanish fighter in the ufc

Most of the UFC events take place in America, during American timezones which makes it hard as a European sometimes to follow the sport like you'd want to

That's a fair point. I probably should've been more specific and pointed out countries like Germany, France, Spain, those regions. At the moment, though, you have a number of fighters from the UK, a few from Poland, and a bunch from Eastern Europe. In fact, I'd say Eastern Europeans really seem to like combat sports regardless of the type, so that was a bit silly to say on my part.

And the time zone thing does present a very practical, and annoying, issue for people trying to break into the sport even just as fans out there.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Shield Energy vs . Reality

https://youtu.be/04CA27140j4

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

el B posted:

Shield Energy vs . Reality

https://youtu.be/04CA27140j4

that dude is mega retard but you have to get him credit for taking some real punches like a total baus

i love how after all that lo pan poo poo in the other video the dude just grabs his hand and boots his nose into the back of his brain. maybe that will fix his mental illness

here's to a beautiful history of 3000 years of bullshit arts

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Pride posted:

do you really think that is representative of 3000 years of martial arts tho

don't you think that's prolly just another dude scamming white people and teaching them some theatrical wushu bullshit? you talk like MMA fighters don't also learn martial arts lol. There's def people in MMA who have belts in TKD or Karate or whatever.

anyway that master dude is obv ridiculous but most of the time it just depends on the individuals involved and how hard they've trained more than the system of fighting they are employing. I could link you a bunch of vids of MMA dudes getting KO'd by whatever but they'd be similarly pointless other than to just laugh at.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 2, 2016

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Moridin920 posted:

I could link you a bunch of vids of MMA dudes getting KO'd by whatever but they'd be similarly pointless other than to just laugh at.

You mean other mma/boxing guys, right? I doubt there's many videos of mma guys getting ko'd by kiai masters or even krav maga or kung fu guys. If there are I want to see them.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Robot Pride posted:

that dude is mega retard but you have to get him credit for taking some real punches like a total baus

i love how after all that lo pan poo poo in the other video the dude just grabs his hand and boots his nose into the back of his brain. maybe that will fix his mental illness

If you actually look at a lot of the historical materials regarding martial arts, weapon-based or otherwise, you see a lot more similarities than differences, so it's a bit more than uncharitable to just write off histories of martial arts. It's unfair in the same way that people who dismiss historical European martial arts, regardless of period, is unfair and feeds the silly exoticizing Eastern Martial arts. That "ki" based stuff, though, is performative in the same way that a lot of mcdojos are and aren't really representative of more legit martial arts that don't rely wholly on compliant "opponents."

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There are of course legit asian martial arts. Karate and Muy Thai being the big ones, but there's a lot of garbage out there also

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Which guy was it who looked like a total slob but managed to dominate one of the divisions with the fierce strategy of "never stop throwing haymakers"

Can't believe no one seriously answered your question, but you are obviously thinking of the single best MMA fighter, and the one that should be closest to all goons' hearts, Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Roy nelson

* almost impossible to knock out
* can knock you out easily
* is very rotund

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

There are of course legit asian martial arts. Karate and Muy Thai being the big ones, but there's a lot of garbage out there also

oh most definitely yeah

I like reading Bruce Lee stuff just because he's so much like 'wtf is all this bullshit lol'

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't believe no one seriously answered your question, but you are obviously thinking of the single best MMA fighter, and the one that should be closest to all goons' hearts, Roy "Big Country" Nelson.

Big Country is fun to watch and kind of reminds me of some JCVD's buddy from Bloodsport.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
During the Chinese version of The Ultimate Fighter reality show where they compete for a UFC contract, one contestant was a yoga instructor who bad never been in a fight before.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zzulu posted:

Roy nelson

* is very rotund

Apparently he's good at basketball too. And he posted this picture of himself training for Struve:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Zzulu posted:

Roy nelson

* is very rotund

When he won a match on the Ultimate Fighter he told Dana White to go get him a whopper with cheese. Dana's face was a unique type of angry normally reserved for when his usual coke connection gets arrested.

• Locked thread