Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

inklesspen posted:

Well, their dad was born when grandpa did the nasty with a shiny horse, so that part actually kinda fits.

Sounds like Loki is causing yet another round of shenanigans :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

inklesspen posted:

Well, their dad was born when grandpa did the nasty with a shiny horse, so that part actually kinda fits.

Dworkin, the original brony.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kai Tave posted:

Matt McFarland got to call people who criticized his baby bigots and MRAs and probably didn't even get a slap on the wrist for it

Considering that Jess was mad and somewhat adamant that they'd be addressing issues, and that the Beast Fiction anthology has more than a few stories that are as close to open mockery as you can get when you work for a company that still wants to sell the product I would be amazed if Matt didn't get a slap if not a verbal reprimand for his insanity. It's just that the people in charge at OPP also have a vested interest in not airing that kind of drama mostly because it's bad Press. But considering that the people who latched onto the warped narratives of Beast, it could be seen either as unfair persecution by a more powerful figure or someone being put down by the femistocracy for speaking truth.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

FMguru posted:

Hahaha, we're now up to fifty-eight blown deadlines for the delivery of Far West.

Don't worry. GMS has assured all stakeholders that not only is the game nearly done, but all the stretch goals and follow up materials are totally finished and ready to go the instant the book drops. I for one feel this totally justifies trying to talk people out of refunds on a book five years overdue.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Kurieg posted:

Considering that Jess was mad and somewhat adamant that they'd be addressing issues, and that the Beast Fiction anthology has more than a few stories that are as close to open mockery as you can get when you work for a company that still wants to sell the product I would be amazed if Matt didn't get a slap if not a verbal reprimand for his insanity. It's just that the people in charge at OPP also have a vested interest in not airing that kind of drama mostly because it's bad Press. But considering that the people who latched onto the warped narratives of Beast, it could be seen either as unfair persecution by a more powerful figure or someone being put down by the femistocracy for speaking truth.

Isn't Matt also the lead layout and artist wrangler guy for all OPP titles? Given how big a role that plays within their whole production line I'm assuming that also played a part w/r/t discipline as well because the impact would be far greater then if the offender was merely a freelance developer.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Nystral posted:

Isn't Matt also the lead layout and artist wrangler guy for all OPP titles? Given how big a role that plays within their whole production line I'm assuming that also played a part w/r/t discipline as well because the impact would be far greater then if the offender was merely a freelance developer.

No.

His wife is the editor of Beast (Which might have explained a lot) but someone else was in charge of layout and Rich is usually in charge of artist wrangling. Matt is still a freelancer.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

inklesspen posted:

Now, now, that's not quite true. Only 85% of the people in that plane have no souls. (They lack "the spark", which is what makes you an actual person and not a p-zombie.)

I suspect the whole "spark" concept was intended to let PCs interact with fiction-based planes like "Barsoom" without being upset at any of the NPCs dying due to their actions. Boy did they gently caress it up, though.

The dimension of cartoon crows from Dumbo or something has a higher population with souls than the Thunder Plains.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kai Tave posted:

Well I mean the great thing about the traditional tabletop game publishing industry is you can be as big of a dickhead as you want and still have a cadre of loyal fans and supportive peers ready to zealously defend you from any criticism no matter how well-deserved it might be. Monte Cook is in no way suffering from publishing games with things like the Elemental Plane of Native American Stereotypes or "we call these people beaners," whatsisname the Zak S defender guy won't lose any appreciable business for throwing his friend under the bus, Matt McFarland got to call people who criticized his baby bigots and MRAs and probably didn't even get a slap on the wrist for it, even GMS has people willing to go to bat for him despite him being five years late on a lovely d20-alike and practically burning every professional bridge he's come across. Luke Crane is in absolutely no danger of suffering any serious repercussions over this. It doesn't mean he isn't acting like an insufferable jerk for no reason, but hey, if there aren't any appreciable consequences for your actions then I guess you might as well do whatever you want.

There's kind of two sides to this. If you're not already an established writer, artist, designer, whatever, then you can't just be a massive dick because no one's ever going to want to work with you. If you've only got a handful of writing credits but everyone in the industry knows you as that salty blogger guy who says insulting things about other people's games, then you're going to have a really hard time ever becoming anything else because no one wants to work with a dick.

I also think that, apart from the online gaming community, there's a much larger gaming community that never sees or experiences any of the drama that we participate in, and they're the ones spending the majority of the money games. That's how established designers can still move a bunch of product and don't seem to be "punished" for questionable actions.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Peas and Rice posted:

I also think that, apart from the online gaming community, there's a much larger gaming community that never sees or experiences any of the drama that we participate in, and they're the ones spending the majority of the money games. That's how established designers can still move a bunch of product and don't seem to be "punished" for questionable actions.

Oh I know there is. A lot of the people I've gamed with in the past have had no online presence at all. The rest maybe had like a Facebook and they didn't even follow any of the companies they played on it.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Generally speaking, my impression of most hobbies (and not just geeky ones), is that the bulk of hobbyists are about as interested in the personages and politics of their hobbies as they are in the personages behind their frozen pizzas. They might care a little if they find out tostinos is using child slave labor to make their crusts or whatever, but "the industry" isn't important enough to them to search out information.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Great news, everybody!

Adamant Entertainment is totally fixed now!

http://www.adamantentertainment.com/2016/09/01/a-new-start-a-new-face/?ref=ENN

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Uh. Is this real or some kind of phishing scam?

Dungeon Master's Guild posted:

Welcome to the Dungeon Dungeon Master's Guild Newsletter!

The guide to what's new and trending in the DM's Guild for Dungeon Masters and Players!

NEW
Storm King's Thunder Strikes!

The newest book and adventure is here, and the Adventuerer's League if offereing the Players Guide, Dungeon Master's Guide, and DM Quests for FREE! Get your copy by clicking on the images below.

That's some mighty fine professionalism there. There's more but I'm not bored enough to skim it for typos.

I've never gotten email from WotC directly, and I can't think how they got my address. DTRPG, maybe?

e: Oh right, DM's Guild is DTRPG. I think we can tell which company wrote the email, though.

Monokeros deAstris fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Apparently, a bankruptcy may gently caress up world wide shipping rates.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

I was just going to post that. Sucks even more for non-US gamers who want physical products. I wonder if international shipping rates are just as bad outside of the US - is it super expensive to ship things from Europe to Asia or Australia?

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

clockworkjoe posted:

I was just going to post that. Sucks even more for non-US gamers who want physical products. I wonder if international shipping rates are just as bad outside of the US - is it super expensive to ship things from Europe to Asia or Australia?

In my (limited) experience we're better off - it's about 2/3rds of the price to ship outside the EU/US from the UK as it is from the US. Royal Mail is pretty hosed by our government, but less so I gather than USPS.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

jivjov posted:

I would have PMd this, but it doesn't look like you have them; I might be cautiously interested in buying your new-printing copy of Gold off you (if you aren't sending it back to Luke for a refund)!

I just realized i can pop it in another usps flat rate envelope for like, seven bucks. email me at leatherfacexx @ hotmail.com if you're still interested. It's still shrink wrapped and in bubble wrap.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Flavivirus posted:

In my (limited) experience we're better off - it's about 2/3rds of the price to ship outside the EU/US from the UK as it is from the US. Royal Mail is pretty hosed by our government, but less so I gather than USPS.

I imagine shipping within Europe is easy as its all overland travel and relatively close. The problem must really come when its to Asia or Africa or somewhere equally far off. Or so I presume.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

WaywardWoodwose posted:

I just realized i can pop it in another usps flat rate envelope for like, seven bucks. email me at leatherfacexx @ hotmail.com if you're still interested. It's still shrink wrapped and in bubble wrap.

I unfortunately had some automotive maintenance issues crop up that ate up this paycheck. I'll hit you up in a couple weeks; if you hold on to it that long. :(

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Alhireth-Hotep posted:

Uh. Is this real or some kind of phishing scam?

That's some mighty fine professionalism there. There's more but I'm not bored enough to skim it for typos.

I've never gotten email from WotC directly, and I can't think how they got my address. DTRPG, maybe?

e: Oh right, DM's Guild is DTRPG. I think we can tell which company wrote the email, though.

The links in the mail all seem to have some sort of weird-rear end redirect that I wouldn't trust farther than I can throw it.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
(Wrong topic. Oops)

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Sep 3, 2016

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Covok posted:

I imagine shipping within Europe is easy as its all overland travel and relatively close. The problem must really come when its to Asia or Africa or somewhere equally far off. Or so I presume.

What I mean is that UK->Australia, for example, was uniformly cheaper than US->Australia on the services I checked. Same for Brazil, South Africa, Korea, and then I stopped checking.

E: essentially, for my product (a small-box card game, essentially size of 2 poker decks) it cost $19 to have UK royal mail ship it anywhere in the world, and $37 for USPS to do the same. It may be true that cheaper alternatives exist, but the difference was significant enough that it made it worth my while to switch to having cards printed in the UK instead of China despite costing quite a bit more per deck.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Sep 3, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a rumor going around that Fantasy Flight is losing the Warhammer licence, and GW is looking around for new licencees. A few days ago, all of FFG's Warhammer Fantasy and 40k books were removed from DriveThru.

I think if this is true (and it seems like it), it's another dumb move on GW's part. I can't imagine Fantasy Flight has been anything but good for them.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Evil Mastermind posted:

There's a rumor going around that Fantasy Flight is losing the Warhammer licence, and GW is looking around for new licencees. A few days ago, all of FFG's Warhammer Fantasy and 40k books were removed from DriveThru.

I think if this is true (and it seems like it), it's another dumb move on GW's part. I can't imagine Fantasy Flight has been anything but good for them.

That's terrible news if true. FFG's stuff was consistently on point for themes and the mechanics weren't bad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

poo poo, I just realized that if FFG really is losing the license, then there's no way we're going to get expansions for the Warhammer Quest card game they put out earlier this year. Which sucks, because that game is fun as hell and would be easy to make new stuff for.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I'd planned on buying a bunch of the WHFRP stuff during the next dtrpg holiday sale but RIP I guess

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

FastestGunAlive posted:

I'd planned on buying a bunch of the WHFRP stuff during the next dtrpg holiday sale but RIP I guess

A bunch of it was on schedule for reprints. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a fantasy RPG in Terrinoth or w/e the Descent world is, now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

S.J. posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did a fantasy RPG in Terrinoth or w/e the Descent world is, now.
If they do, I wonder if they'd take what they learned from the Star Wars RPG and apply that to a WHFRP 3e-style box.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Evil Mastermind posted:

At least some of the speculation I've seen is around FFG's upcoming foray into minis wargaming Rune Wars possibly relating to the split. If it is, its unclear whether its the cause of the split or a reaction to it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Evil Mastermind posted:

If they do, I wonder if they'd take what they learned from the Star Wars RPG and apply that to a WHFRP 3e-style box.

Games Workshop, learn things?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Besides RPGs, FFG has a number of legitimately decent board games that could be affected by this supposed (but looking far more plausible) split, including Chaos in the Old World, Forbidden Stars, and the newly released edition of Fury of Dracula, so if you've been wanting to pick one of those up now might be the time. The 40K Conquest LCG has also been a popular seller from what little I know, and yeah, the Warhammer Adventure card game might wind up DOA because of this as well. I imagine FFG will be able to weather things okay but losing the license will still probably be a blow to them.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

Games Workshop, learn things?
No, FFG. They're the ones who made the big-box Warhammer RPG 3e, which used the first iteration of the dice system for Star Wars.

Of course GW isn't going to learn a drat thing from anything; that just goes without saying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, yeah, I'm just saying, if the rumors are true then FFG isn't getting a vote.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, yeah, I'm just saying, if the rumors are true then FFG isn't getting a vote.

I think he meant FFG making a Not-Warhammer Fantasy game similar to the 3rd Edition WHRPG, using what they've learned from the Star Wars games.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

thelazyblank posted:

I think he meant FFG making a Not-Warhammer Fantasy game similar to the 3rd Edition WHRPG, using what they've learned from the Star Wars games.
Yes, that.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just want them to have actual abilities/powers in the game again. That's one of my biggest disappointments with Star Wars. You don't get that unless you're a force user.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

WizardJedi Supremacy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly if you're going to play Star Wars you need to do either original Trilogy (where Force powers are rare) or just go full KOTOR and have everybody play a Jedi.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
WFRP 2e 4eva!

No, seriously, I think FFG does some awesome stuff, and this is another terrible decision by GW.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Honestly if you're going to play Star Wars you need to do either original Trilogy (where Force powers are rare) or just go full KOTOR and have everybody play a Jedi.
I'm in a Star Wars game that takes place right after the battle of Yavin, and while we don't have any jedi we are all playing second fiddle to the Wookie because he one-shots pretty much everything with his bowcaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

S.J. posted:

A bunch of it was on schedule for reprints. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a fantasy RPG in Terrinoth or w/e the Descent world is, now.

I know nothing about Terrinoth but an update of WFRP3e/SWRPG in a setting without nearly so much IP baggage could be really great.

• Locked thread