Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

To this very day I have never gotten more hateful comments than I did from that one.
http://oppositelock.kinja.com/an-abstract-spectacle-of-wealth-and-power-1749606440
It's amazing how many people own Vipers and yet somehow still have no sense of humour.
:golfclap: glorious as usual

One of my first and most terrifying times instructing was in a first gen Viper owned by a guy in his late 20s. He had decided that the car didn't make nearly enough power so it was fit with a supercharger but no improvements to brakes, tires or safety because that's not something a Viper owner would do.

Brainerd International Raceway is known for it's mile long straight away that also serves as a drag strip. Anyone who's drag raced knows about the various traction compounds they put down to help cars launch and may know that stuff impregnates the track and is the slickest substance known to man when wet. This being Minnesota in October it was raining and cold (~50f) for the first session.

Somehow we only spun once (not on the drag strip portion) and weren't one of the cars that pinballed down the front straight. What a car :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... is it wrong that this is making me check classifieds for Viper prices?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Larrymer posted:

Early vipers have pretty much no driver aids.

Or A/C until 1994. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They most certainly had A/C prior to 1994 because you couldn't even get one with a roof until 1996.

Hot? Just drive faster.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

They most certainly had A/C prior to 1994 because you couldn't even get one with a roof until 1996.

Hot? Just drive faster.

I love the wiki description of pre 94 cars

quote:

The car is spartan, although it features inflatable lumbar support and adjustable seats. Along with the absence of exterior door handles, the vehicle lacks side windows and a roof. Although a soft top cover was available, it was designed primarily for indoor vehicle storage. Side curtains of fabric and clear plastic operated by zippers can be inserted into the door and hand-bolted when needed. All of these decisions were made to reduce weight. The battery is located in the sealed compartment over the rear wheels to increase rear-end weight and traction. The car shipped with a tonneau cover and video tape on soft-top assembly (the soft top is removable and folds to fit in the trunk). In 1994 the car came, for the first time since release with several options available to the buyer. These included air conditioning, adjustable suspension, larger diameter wheels to accommodate larger brakes, and a fiberglass hardtop for the roof.

A "video tape" hahaha

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Hot? Just drive faster.

Or external door handles. Or windows.

And you're gonna get hot because the pipes will do their damnedest to poach you like an egg.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And you're gonna get hot because the pipes will do their damnedest to poach you like an egg.

A worthy sacrifice because side pipes are loving awesome.

Though I remember thinking the body styling was perfect when the Viper was new, it really hasn't aged well at all. The gen 2 body is when they really nailed the look.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
SRII's were great. I can't really get behind the 03-08's. It's just so Chrysler. Loved the reboot third gen SRT's tho.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

IOwnCalculus posted:

The first Viper was as true to the Cobra formula as they could make it. Big fuckoff engine in just about the minimum amount of car needed for said engine. Hope you don't die on the test drive.

...and side pipes.

e;fb

I'm still unsure if the car has aged terribly or if I'm approaching midlife crisis where I view everything 90's through roseneon rainbow mirrored radical colored lenses

I still like it the best.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 31, 2016

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

xzzy posted:

A worthy sacrifice because side pipes are loving awesome.

Though I remember thinking the body styling was perfect when the Viper was new, it really hasn't aged well at all. The gen 2 body is when they really nailed the look.

Its really the 3 spokes wheels on the original viper's that aged poorly. With more modern wheels they still look real good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah those rims were 90s.txt. Just needed some pastel geometric shapes to seal the deal.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Don't pretend like you wouldn't drive the loving balls off of a trapper-keeper style Viper :colbert:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Gimme a Lisa Frank-esque water transfer graphic paint job on a Viper and I will die in it, laughing.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Figured I'd contribute for once.

From the dirt track last week.

And after sitting in one...Yeah I can completely see why/how Tony Stewart hit that dude.

Also saving and will hopefully be doing a sprint school in December!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

scuz posted:

Gimme a Lisa Frank-esque water transfer graphic paint job on a Viper and I will die in it, laughing.

Best I got is a 911

Slightly related: Travis Pastrana's :krad: NASCAR

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 1, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It looks like a can of Rockstar energy drink and I'm still cool with it.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Wasabi the J posted:

Travis Pastrana's :krad: NASCAR

As a non-american who understands NASCAR, I still love/cringe-at how they persist in trying to pretend that they are real cars by adding headlight/grill stickers.

I'm a real boy! A real boy!.

Thorbeef
Jul 24, 2007

ReelBigLizard posted:

headlight/grill stickers.

How does the engine slurp air and bugs if the air/bugs holes are stickers?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think I found the Jon Benet killer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBnCCz1qOs4

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's Perrito, the mascot of AI.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

supermegaultra posted:

How does the engine slurp air and bugs if the air/bugs holes are stickers?

See that spot right above where it says Mustang, and below the 'grill'? Right there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, it's so rare for a nascar vehicle to get through a race without ramming something that having actual headlights would be a significant hazard when they spray glass and shrapnel all over the track and pierce everyone's tries.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

xzzy posted:

To be fair, it's so rare for a nascar vehicle to get through a race without ramming something that having actual headlights would be a significant hazard when they spray glass and shrapnel all over the track and pierce everyone's tries.

Oh yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is that persisting in the pretense that these identical, completely purpose built, tube frame, spec racing cars have anything whatsoever to do with real cars is extremely silly.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Y'all motherfuckers don't understand.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ReelBigLizard posted:

Oh yeah, I get that. What I'm saying is that persisting in the pretense that these identical, completely purpose built, tube frame, spec racing cars have anything whatsoever to do with real cars is extremely silly.

Literally no one does except for Internet autists.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iwentdoodie posted:

Literally no one does except for Internet autists.

Not true. This annoyed me before the internet or modern autism were things.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What I never understood about NASCAR is why the companies would choose their boring 4-door sedan names to represent the stock cars. Like even if you did think they bore any resemblence to their production equivalents, why would you want to see an '04 Impala race a Taurus? I guess if Ford has switched from the Fusion to a Mustang they've changed that around. Follow-up question: that "Mustang" looks a lot more like a Charger. Do all these cars just use the exact same shell now and they just paint it differently, or is that just the same shell they used when it was a Fusion?

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Sep 1, 2016

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

davebo posted:

What I never understood about NASCAR is why the companies would choose their boring 4-door sedan names to represent the stock cars. Like even if you did think they bore any resemblence to their production equivalents, why would you want to see an '04 Impala race a Taurus? I guess if Ford has switched from the Fusion to a Mustang they've changed that around. Follow-up question: that "Mustang" looks a lot more like a Charger. Do all these cars just use the exact same shell now and they just paint it differently, or is that just the same shell they used when it was a Fusion?

NASCAR has used spec bodies and chassis since the mid 00s, prior to that the cars were at least much closer in general shape to their real-world counterparts.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Terrible Robot posted:

NASCAR has used spec bodies and chassis since the mid 00s, prior to that the cars were at least much closer in general shape to their real-world counterparts.

Oh wow, that long? I always liked the old Monte Carlo's and even the general shape of stuff like Lumina's in the Days of Thunder age, but I thought there were at least a few subtle differences aside from the decals still kicking around. I guess not.

Well clearly I think the next step is to make NASCAR more fuel efficient by having them race on an electrified track. And since crashes are obviously a huge mess, to increase driver safety we should just have the drivers stand on the infield and control the cars with yellow guns hooked up to the track with an analog trigger. Also add loop-the-loops.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

davebo posted:

Oh wow, that long? I always liked the old Monte Carlo's and even the general shape of stuff like Lumina's in the Days of Thunder age, but I thought there were at least a few subtle differences aside from the decals still kicking around. I guess not.

Well clearly I think the next step is to make NASCAR more fuel efficient by having them race on an electrified track. And since crashes are obviously a huge mess, to increase driver safety we should just have the drivers stand on the infield and control the cars with yellow guns hooked up to the track with an analog trigger. Also add loop-the-loops.

This, unironically. I'd love giant, life size slot car racing. That would own so hard.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not cars, but still awesome. 2 stroke bike with a clear head.

https://youtu.be/BrWpF6YiSDs

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

iwentdoodie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrWpF6YiSDs

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The latest episode of Roadkill (on MTOD) is really great stuff. Freiburger and Finngan plus Tony and Lucky go to an awesome junkyard in Colorado, and put a Cummins diesel in a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

The Broughammer :black101:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 2, 2016

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

The latest episode of Roadkill (on MTOD) is really great stuff. Freiburger and Finngan plus Tony and Lucky go to an awesome junkyard in Colorado, and put a Cummins diesel in a Cadillac Brougham.

That was an amazing one

donut
Feb 4, 2001

A Pontiac dealer called "Gay Pontiac" would be childish to find humor in. Same dealer using rainbow livery however, is some solid gold camp.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

The latest episode of Roadkill (on MTOD) is really great stuff. Freiburger and Finngan plus Tony and Lucky go to an awesome junkyard in Colorado, and put a Cummins diesel in a Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham.

Yeah, that's a pretty great new episode. They had a dud a few months ago with that Buick and the "I know what I got, no lowballers" dipshit with no good cars, but the last two have been top notch.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

donut posted:

A Pontiac dealer called "Gay Pontiac" would be childish to find humor in. Same dealer being located in Dickinson, is some solid gold camp.

:v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Not just Dickinson, but it's in the violently conservative hotbed of Texas.

At what point did 'gay' start to mean homosexual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

iwentdoodie posted:

There should be a Kickstarter to buy that and send it to Gavin Free.

xzzy posted:

Not just Dickinson, but it's in the violently conservative hotbed of Texas.

At what point did 'gay' start to mean homosexual?
Well before that car was built.