Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Better or worse than Joseph Gordon-Levitt knowing that Bruce Wayne was Batman because he could see it in his eyes when he was a kid?

It was probably a bit of "Hey, maybe Batman is that eccentric, jacked, billionaire weapons contractor that lives in the Gothic mansion on the outskirts of town?" too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Woah there's a webcomc I forgot existed. I think it had a lot of lovely cheesecake art? I read a lot of terrible things when I was young.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Don't they imply in the second one that she suspects John Jameson is Spider-Man and only realises that he isn't when she re-enacts the upside-down kiss?

Nah I always saw it as her realizing that she's can't marry a guy who's bad at kissing upside-down.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

I have no problem with that. Sometimes you can recognize someone just by a turn of phrase or actions that reflect their personal philosophy. Sure it's a little over the top in its Nolan-ness but I don't know why people had such a problem with it.

It would be different if they established that he suspected and then from that moment put all of the VERY OBVIOUS pieces together. The look in his eyes felt like such a cheat. All of the JGL stuff in TDKR felt like lazy writing. Like his entire character was a giant cop-out.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Eh, it kinda worked for me since from what I remember, it established how his character understood Bruce's feelings and why he does what he does from personal experience. It sounds really dumb when you stop to think about it, but it just wasn't enough to bother me.

Really, I had more issue with how the final battle was just one big army of good vs a big army of evil. Felt just plain lame and too over the top for the general tone of those movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think I'm the only person on this forum who liked both ASM movies.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

I may very well have liked them. Hard to know, since I can't remember a single thing about either of them.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I always feel weird because though I absolutely cannot stand the first one, I thought the second one was a fun watch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really could not get over what a creepy poo poo Peter Parker was. He was like Edward from Twilight levels of creep sometimes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

I really could not get over what a creepy poo poo Peter Parker was. He was like Edward from Twilight levels of creep sometimes.

I don't think there was a single scene where he came across as likeable.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked both as well, because Andrew Garfield is 100% My Peter Parker. I know that they're big stumbling hot messy excuses for films, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Yet some people really liked Garfield. Says a lot about them I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Garfield did a good job with a badly written role. I would have liked to see him try Peter Parker in a film not dominated by Peter being a poo poo and RICHARD PARKER.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know I saw the first ASM but I can't remember a single thing about it. I somehow escaped seeing the second one entirely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I remember laughing really hard at PROPERTY OF PETER PARKER and enjoying the Stan Lee cameo.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!
There were some interesting and good decisions with ASM's costume designs and visuals. Garfield and Stone were more interesting than Dunst and McGuire. It was also a bold move to cast Willam Dafoe in both the Raimi movies and ASM series.

The writing, supporting cast, and weird plot decisions really dragged both movies (especially ASM2) down. There were some very good scenes and nuggets of good ideas, but not a cohesive movie.

BvS also had bad writing, editing, and strange plot contrivances, but it had a strong supporting cast and unique visual style. It has low lows, but a couple of decent highs. ASM was just largely forgettable and middle of the road.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yup. It says a lot of good things. :buddy:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Garfield did a good job with a badly written role. I would have liked to see him try Peter Parker in a film not dominated by Peter being a poo poo and RICHARD PARKER.

But they say he is the Peter Parker, which I can't see on pure performance alone.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know I saw the first ASM but I can't remember a single thing about it. I somehow escaped seeing the second one entirely.

It's because everything, from the writing to the acting to the directing, is bland as hell. The second one is all those things plus convoluted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

But they say he is the Peter Parker, which I can't see on pure performance alone.

Well to be fair at the time his only competition with Tobey McGuire.

I think most people are pretty happy with Tom Holland from what we've seen so far though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like Toby better honestly.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I honestly find Tom Holland a little bit bland, emote-wise. I think Maguire is understandably a better actor and Garfield is way more expressive. I can see Holland fits the mold of the dew-faced overburdened-yet-idealistic Peter Parker that they're building, though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

To be fait Tom has only been in a movie his character was shoe horned into for a little bit. So I will at least give him his own feature length shot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't know why someone at Sony was really into doing stuff with Peter's parents. Characters who really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

I really liked the bit where he tried really hard to talk Electro down before the cop shot him and things went bad. Spider-Man attempting to bring in a criminal without having to punch him a bunch was straight out of a good comic to me.

Outside of that, he does come off as a bit of a d-bag. I could not get over how bad the ending of ASM1 was. "Sorry Captain, but your daughter is hot and you're not here to stop me!"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Their favorite storyline was the robot parent one in the 90s obviously.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I like Toby better honestly.

Now I know you're trolling.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know why someone at Sony was really into doing stuff with Peter's parents. Characters who really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

They were obviously lifting that from Ultimate Spider-man, where Peter's dad's research and death under mysterious circumstances loomed large as a mystery early on in the series (until Bendis dropped it like he does with so many subplots). They just didn't do it in a way that made anyone give a poo poo.

Rhyno posted:

Even though his character acted like a giant rear end in a top hat in 3, Tobey's performance is pretty strong and very close to how I imagine Peter. He's no Christopher Daniel Barnes, but he's close.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Peter, Harry, and Norman were cast and written well.

Shame about MJ.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't know what was wrong with Tobey as Peter Parker.

James Franco as Harry Osborn was perfect, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

He didn't quip, the most important Spidey trait!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

muscles like this? posted:

Someone at Sony fought to have the ending of Amazing Spider-Man 2 be Peter visiting his Dad's grave and then his Dad also shows up at his grave and tells him he's been in hiding. They literally stole the ending to Metal Gear Solid 4, a series known for ridiculous and so-stupid-it's-silly plot lines, and tried to make it serious and dramatic.

Someone at Sony also thought there was demand for an Aunt May movie.

The person IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE SPIDER-MAN PORTFOLIO at Sony thought this:

quote:

Spidey thought

Hey Amy - just a couple of rando thoughts from 35,000 LAX-JFK:

- A rising trend we see with Millennials are the really extreme forms of experiential exercise like Tough Mudder (a sort of filthy triathalon), the Color Run and even things like Hot Power Yoga, veganism etc. Millennials will often post “N.B.D.” on their social media after doing it , as in No Big Deal, also known as the “humble brag”.....wondering if Spidey could get into that in some way....he’s super athletic, bendy, strong, intense....and it’s all NBD to him, of course.

- EDM (electronic dance music) is the defining music for Millennials. Wondering if there’s an EDM angle somewhere with Spidey? His movements are beautiful, would be awesome with a killer DJ behind it

- Snapchat just launched a “story” functionality, which is sort of “day in the life of me” told in a series of snapchats that expire after 24 hours. It has a very VIP quality about it, since invitation only. Getting invited into Spidey’s Snapchat circle would be huge, and very buzzworthy and cool.

These are the people we're dealing with here. There is nothing too stupid for them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Roth posted:

I don't know what was wrong with Tobey as Peter Parker.

James Franco as Harry Osborn was perfect, and I won't hear a word otherwise.

Honestly, was anyone poorly cast in the Raimi films? I mean, maybe Robbie, but he had like 6 lines.

E: The Sony email leaks are proof eternal that yes, the people in charge of the thing you like ARE giant loving idiots who make the worst possible decisions with no logic behind it whatsoever.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly, was anyone poorly cast in the Raimi films? I mean, maybe Robbie, but he had like 6 lines.

E: The Sony email leaks are proof eternal that yes, the people in charge of the thing you like ARE giant loving idiots who make the worst possible decisions with no logic behind it whatsoever.

Topher Grace as gently caress'S SAKE YES FINE I'LL PUT VENOM IN BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Topher Grace as gently caress'S SAKE YES FINE I'LL PUT VENOM IN BUT I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT

I actually thought he was great casting, he just wasn't given anything to work with. I mean yeah yeah, classic Brock is huge and looks like he could headbutt a truck, but Ultimate showed that the character really doesn't need to be that way to work.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Topher Grace was sublime in SM3. Him and James Franco were both absolutely great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Until he actually became Venom.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Sam Raimi cast a really good Peter and Mary Jane. Just a shame it was five years later and in the roles of Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy instead.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at Sony fought to have the ending of Amazing Spider-Man 2 be Peter visiting his Dad's grave and then his Dad also shows up at his grave and tells him he's been in hiding. They literally stole the ending to Metal Gear Solid 4, a series known for ridiculous and so-stupid-it's-silly plot lines, and tried to make it serious and dramatic.

Someone at Sony also thought there was demand for an Aunt May movie.

The person IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE SPIDER-MAN PORTFOLIO at Sony thought this:

These are the people we're dealing with here. There is nothing too stupid for them.

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but drat. It reads like a loving Onion article.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know I shouldn't be surprised, but drat. It reads like a loving Onion article.

I worked as an assistant for production people in LA for a few years and the Sony stuff upthread is not even remotely uncommon. Almost every single person at that level is incredibly wealthy, petty, self absorbed, self assured, detached from what most people would consider reality, and frequently doing coke. It really is precisely as awful as you could ever fear.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

CharlestheHammer posted:

He didn't quip, the most important Spidey trait!

This, but unironically.

It's weird how I was more giddy over seeing Holland's Spidey than I was with any of the Toby Maguire movies. There's something about all of the writing with him that was... what I wanted. It's difficult to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So far, I think Tom Holland has the capacity to be both a good Peter Parker and a good Spiderman. Waiting until his movie comes out to judge. He also annoys enemies by talking a lot, which is great and the most "Spiderman" trait I can imagine.

• Locked thread