Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Inferior Third Season posted:

I like how she is just admitting that the GOP is incapable of ever changing itself to the point that immigrant populations would ever consider voting for them.

She's admitting that the GOP is now a white revanchist party. Appealing to non-whites doesn't even occur to her.

Remember, it's not all Trump's fault. You'll be hearing a lot of that from frustrated never-Trump Republicans after the election, but Trump didn't throw a knockout-gas grenade into Kasich's RNC coronation speech, fast-rope in from the ceiling and seize control of the party. The GOP morphed into a party of white cultural grievance way before they elected their destined standard-bearer in Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Hillary health thing was the shortest argument I ever had with my Dad:

"Well I saw some stuff about Hillary being unwell."
"Alright, if that's true, Who do you like more? Kaine or Clinton?"
"Kaine."
"So your problem is?"

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

"Kaine."
"So your problem is?"

They're not concerned about her dying in office. It's all a part of the belief that she's constantly lying about everything and hiding the Truth from the public.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also for those raising concerns over Hillary's age, Trump is older than she is. :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Also for those raising concerns over Hillary's age, Trump is older than she is. :v:

Yes but he also has proof that he will be the healthiest candidate in history because he has a signed doctor's note, because apparently the government is primary school.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/johnjharwood/status/771813931421687808

Can you loving imagine if Hillary was caught doing this? Guaranteed round-the-clock coverage.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They're not concerned about her dying in office. It's all a part of the belief that she's constantly lying about everything and hiding the Truth from the public.

This is still a genuinely brilliant long-term narrative, since she's a LIAR then even if there's no evidence about anything she's accused of it must have existed but she is hiding it, because she loves lies.

Man, Republicans used to be on the loving ball with their evil. The easiness of milking 9/11 to get a free pass on everything for a few years seems to have knocked the guile out of them.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The thing this election cycle has been really driving home to me is that Republican talking points sound lazy and dumb because they can't say what they want, not because they are lazy and dumb.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Yinlock posted:

Yes but he also has proof that he will be the healthiest candidate in history because he has a signed doctor's note, because apparently the government is primary school.

Hey, Dr John Miller has a perfectly cromulent medical degree! From Trump University!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

The thing this election cycle has been really driving home to me is that Republican talking points sound lazy and dumb because they can't say what they want, not because they are lazy and dumb.

That's what the whole SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS/WAR ON POLITICAL CORRECTNESS thing is about, things would be so much easier if they could cut out the middle man and just be openly racist/sexist/bigoted without consequence.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

jwang posted:

Man, NPR programs are great. This American Life has an episode on how terrible the Louisiana public defender office got shafted, and as a result a defendant got the best lawyer he could. In the same episode, they talked about how the US had a secret camp where they interrogated Nazi prisoners. Here is the transcript of the episode, number 595.

This American Life is PRI, not NPR.

Also, bourgie as gently caress.

The Glumslinger posted:

Cross posting this since it is political news

Imagine how much poo poo any other public (or private) sector group if they refused to work because someone said something mean about them?

As a teacher...

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Large earthquake (5.6) hits Oklahoma. But what fracking?!

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yinlock posted:

This is still a genuinely brilliant long-term narrative, since she's a LIAR then even if there's no evidence about anything she's accused of it must have existed but she is hiding it, because she loves lies.

Man, Republicans used to be on the loving ball with their evil. The easiness of milking 9/11 to get a free pass on everything for a few years seems to have knocked the guile out of them.

Case in point, the whole email thing. This wasn't always about infosec and private servers, it was originally about finding some Benghazi smoking gun email that just had to exist somewhere. No smoking gun email ordering the attack or covering it up? She must have deleted it!

I don't think they ever actually expected to find anything, just keeping her name next to the words "FBI" and "investigation" and "controversy" in all the headlines is good enough for them.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Yinlock posted:

plus women live longer than men, so it's really Hillary that is older in women-years

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dick Trauma posted:

Maybe I thought of this first because I'm old.

Also just in case the anti-Obama apocalypse-level hysteria wasn't enough:

I love the way Obama and Clinton have been molded into some sort of dual-headed monster like Kuato, the ObamaClinton!

Just wait until 2024 when the King Ghidorah Initiative is complete.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

Kro-Bar posted:

In 2007, Oklahoma had one 3.0 magnitude earthquake. Last year, they had over 800. I lived in Dallas from 2009 go 2015 and I went from not being aware earthquakes could happen there to seeing one every couple of months. Friends of mine who live in towers in Dallas said thsir buildings were swaying with this last one, and these buildings aren't made to withstand earthquakes.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Kro-Bar posted:

thank god those captains of industry are making sure that Oklahoma doesn't get hit by a big one! Gotta release that pressure!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Wouldn't hiding the capital T Truth from humanity mean that she is basically God?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kro-Bar posted:

it's pretty cool we've advanced enough in technology that we can cause earthquakes

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's pretty cool we've advanced enough in technology that we can cause earthquakes

Exxon just stole it from Tesla.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Yinlock posted:

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748574585434112

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748423917707264

https://twitter.com/TheBillyWest/status/771748290517798913

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yinlock posted:

That's what the whole SOCIAL JUSTICE WARRIORS/WAR ON POLITICAL CORRECTNESS thing is about, things would be so much easier if they could cut out the middle man and just be openly racist/sexist/bigoted without consequence.

Exactly. All the hand-wringing from establishment Republicans is because they know that after his complete lack of subtlety, their base won't wan to go back to tried and true dogwhistles and they can't possibly get elected if they have to admit it. All their efforts to make their bigotry more acceptable by labeling the opposition as oversensitive whiners is failing since Trump leaves no doubt whatsoever of what they want. Combined with their traditional old white people dying off, they're panicking that they will lose any chance of winning on a national scale and they can't afford to change without losing what they have now.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Sep 3, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Very Important Doctoring

Kro-Bar posted:

oh wow it seems like forcing liquid into the earth to pry open fissures has negative consequences, who could have imagined this turn of events.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Yinlock posted:

Nah, the Clintons just make them very dumb. Remember that the whole cattle futures thing actually led to a net loss in their finances.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

The thing that drives me up a wall with the whole "Clinton is a LIAR" thing is that you can go through any fact checking website and see Trump lies through his teeth left and right. Comparing their statements and seeing how true most of them are isn't even close. When I bring that up they say the sites have a liberal bias. When I ask them to point out where the bias is they can't show anything. These people are not even worth arguing against. They say they hate liars but they back Trump. That tells me all I need to know so I ignore them. You can't even have an argument with them about policy like you could in the past.

Tell me you want to carpet bomb every Muslim country on earth. I get it. Tell me you want to go back to the gold standard. You're dumb but I get that. Tell me you want to dismantle every EPA protection. Ok sure. Tell me you hate Clinton because she lies but love Trump because he's honest...What?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

http://www.clickhole.com/article/political-crisis-antonin-scalias-vacant-supreme-co-4774

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

On Terra Firma posted:

The thing that drives me up a wall with the whole "Clinton is a LIAR" thing is that you can go through any fact checking website and see Trump lies through his teeth left and right. Comparing their statements and seeing how true most of them are isn't even close. When I bring that up they say the sites have a liberal bias. When I ask them to point out where the bias is they can't show anything. These people are not even worth arguing against. They say they hate liars but they back Trump. That tells me all I need to know so I ignore them. You can't even have an argument with them about policy like you could in the past.

Tell me you want to carpet bomb every Muslim country on earth. I get it. Tell me you want to go back to the gold standard. You're dumb but I get that. Tell me you want to dismantle every EPA protection. Ok sure. Tell me you hate Clinton because she lies but love Trump because he's honest...What?

The explanation is as simple as it is inexcusable: decades of indoctrination by the right fear-machine. The overall feeling of "Clinton is a shady liar" comes from a lot of hard work and constant baseless accusations, and the right has been presenting facts and feelings as the same thing, because it's one way to get around the mental paradox of conflicting beliefs. Combine that with the human brain's extreme reluctance to admit it's wrong(especially with the dumb/self-absorbed) and you've got a nearly invincible bullshit wall.

I.e: ""Trump is an honest man and Hillary is a liar", reality clearly disagrees with this, but feelings are just as important as facts and I feel that these things are true. Since they are true, anybody saying otherwise must be at fault because of bias. To take this train of thought any further would make me uncomfortable, so it stops there."

Things usually devolve to shouting if they get pushed beyond that, because admitting you're wrong etc.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 3, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

do you think that love can bloom even on the supreme court

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

This American Life is PRI, not NPR.
It used to be PRI. Now it's distributed independently through PRX. Changed in 2014. http://www.thisamericanlife.org/blog/2014/05/radio-distribution-announcement

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/johnjharwood/status/771813931421687808

Can you loving imagine if Hillary was caught doing this? Guaranteed round-the-clock coverage.

Man, is there anything Trump has accused Clinton of that he himself isn't guilty of anymore?

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Speaking of, here's yet another article on how shameless NC Republicans are about preventing "democrats who just happen to be black" from voting:

"How dare you call us racist, we're just aggressively disenfranchising voters because they're democrats, so it's all above board!"

Notice they don't even bother using the "in-person voter fraud" fig leaf anymore.
If they really weren't racist they would actually do things to benefit African Americans instead of trying to cheat their way out of having to do so.

hexenmexen
May 15, 2016

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

What leverage do the Saudis have over Hillary Clinton? What are they going to do, manipulate the price of oil? If they had the power to do that unilaterally we wouldn't be seeing remarkably low gas prices right now. This isn't the '70s and OPEC isn't going to blockade the US over Clinton Cash. They stand to lose far more than they'd gain. Also here's your daily reminder that the Saudis depend on their continued access to the cock of the US military-industrial complex they suck daily and would shrivel up and die without it. They're not going to get into a pissing contest with President Clinton over some small change donation they made to her charity in the past and risk starting a feud with the leader of the free world. Historically, that tends not to go well for tinpot dictatorships.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/17/saudi-diplomat-accused-of-raping-two-maids-uses-immunity-to-leave-india

http://indianexpress.com/article/ci...e-going-to-die/

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/4z84jc/filipina_maid_died_of_rape_in_saudi_arabia/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-saudi-usa-congress-idUSKCN0Y8239

It's not the overt issue of economics with Saudi Arabia I have an issue with. More the covert or blatant disregard that they have for human decency. And yes if one of their diplomats or citizens is in a lovely situations a contribution of $25 million would be used as a bartering tool. Just as happened after 9/11 and many Saudis were allowed to leave the country the day of, as well as the proven fact that their secret service was working with elements close to OBL, hence the above senate bill.

VitalSigns posted:

Could you explain to me what strings are attached?

Hmmm, donating to a group trying to overturn Citizens United and close the spigot of ultrarich donors and corporations buying politicians. Must be a false flag to throw us off the trail, exactly what a puppetmaster Jew would do!

The way you throw around Jew sounds like you have more of an axe to grind than I do even if you are doing it sarcastically. Big donaters like this contributing to politicians in the US make them more accountable to their backers than the electorate. I didn't vote for George Soros. That article was mostly provided for the numbers not what politico thinks are progressive causes. Soros clearly has an agenda on the way he wants world politics to go and if he wants to get rid of citizens united it's that he has an agenda to be pushed. What idk that is the problem.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/17/george-soros-obama_n_785022.html

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/10560

https://www.rt.com/usa/355639-soros-clinton-albania-wikileaks/

https://wikileaks.org/clinton-emails/emailid/28972

From the information above it really seems he has a hands off policy and doesn't expect an ear after donating money. *smh*

botany posted:

I just want to point out that this article is bullshit. It blames the Community Reinvestment Act for the 07/08 financial crash, which is the rightwing narrative despite the fact that it's absolutely untrue. Only about 6% of misprized mortgages were originated under the CRA, the majority of subprimes were for lenders that made too much money to be covered by the CRA. It also blames Fannie and Freddie, despite the fact that (a) the bubble coincided with a period where their market share dropped significantly and (b) Fannie and Freddie loans were about 6 times less likely to default during the whole shitshow.

Do you have a source for this, I'd be interested to read more.

hexenmexen fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 3, 2016

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

If you're going to be citing "sources", they need to be better than wikileaks, rt, reddit, and huffpost.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

hexenmexen posted:

Do you have a source for this, I'd be interested to read more.

Sure!

On the CRA and its impact there was a study by the fed, you can find the highlights here:
http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/speech/20081203_analysis.pdf

On Fannie & Freddie, if you really want to get into it, this study is a good starting point, but you can start with this article which makes many of the points I made earlier in a more accessible way. The F&F business is a bit more complicated than the Atlantic makes it seem, but the rough thing you need to understand is that the GSEs were more of a symptom of the mortgage crisis than its cause. It's also actually not a bad idea to check out the Wikipedia article on the crisis, you can find a lot more source material there as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subprime_mortgage_crisis

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Yinlock posted:

The explanation is as simple as it is inexcusable: decades of indoctrination by the right fear-machine. The overall feeling of "Clinton is a shady liar" comes from a lot of hard work and constant baseless accusations, and the right has been presenting facts and feelings as the same thing, because it's one way to get around the mental paradox of conflicting beliefs. Combine that with the human brain's extreme reluctance to admit it's wrong(especially with the dumb/self-absorbed) and you've got a nearly invincible bullshit wall.

I.e: ""Trump is an honest man and Hillary is a liar", reality clearly disagrees with this, but feelings are just as important as facts and I feel that these things are true. Since they are true, anybody saying otherwise must be at fault because of bias. To take this train of thought any further would make me uncomfortable, so it stops there."

Things usually devolve to shouting if they get pushed beyond that, because admitting you're wrong etc.

Same as every other right wing position. What happens isn't as important as how it feels to you personally. Manipulation is ignored because that would require you to admit being wrong.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

A Man With A Plan posted:

In 2007, Oklahoma had one 3.0 magnitude earthquake. Last year, they had over 800. I lived in Dallas from 2009 go 2015 and I went from not being aware earthquakes could happen there to seeing one every couple of months. Friends of mine who live in towers in Dallas said thsir buildings were swaying with this last one, and these buildings aren't made to withstand earthquakes.

Until a major earthquake kills a bunch of rich white people nobody in power is going to give the slightest drat about it. Even then the blame will be on government being useless and not stopping the destruction.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Bartlett did nothing wrong :colbert:

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Yes, Saudi Arabia is a messed up country that the United States should reconsider its diplomatic relationship with. No, that mere fact doesn't constitute proof that Crooked Hillary is a slavish servant of Prince Murderrapenineeleven.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eifert Posting posted:

"Kaine."
"So your problem is?"

It's probably why the line of attack fell apart very quickly, doubly so when Trump's doctor's letter came back to haunt him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I'm excited to see the hot takes from the first debates, because the narratives are almost exactly the same as 2000 (stiff boring "fake" career politician that nobody likes and talks too much about policy V.S. Rich guy from a dynasty who is perceived as not very smart, but still "speaks for real america" and always says what is on his mind) and some commentator is going to take the bait.

Reminder: George W. Bush was asked about Yugoslavia in 2000 and DID NOT KNOW which countries made up Yugoslavia or who the President of Serbia was. Despite that he still had a detailed plan for Yugoslavia. Immediately after that question Al Gore answered with lots of policy details and knowledge. THIS WAS PORTRAYED AS A HUGE MISTAKE and the NYT published this the next day:

quote:

It was not enough for Vice President Al Gore to venture a crisp pronunciation of Milosevic, as in Slobodan, the Yugoslav president who refuses to be pried from power … Mr. Gore had to go a step further, volunteering the name of Mr. Milosevic’s challenger, Vojislav Kostunica. Then he had to go a step beyond that, noting that Serbia plus Montenegro equals Yugoslavia … and as Mr. Gore loped effortlessly through the Balkans, barely able to suppress his self-satisfied grin, it became ever clearer that the point of all the thickets of consonants and proper nouns was not a geopolitical lesson … it was more like oratorical intimidation, an unwavering effort to upstage and unnerve an opponent whose mind and mouth have never behaved in a similarly encyclopedic fashion.

But neither man could resist reverting to type: in Mr. Gore's case, the man who loves to show off how much he knows; in Mr. Bush's case, the man who would rather sidestep the bogs of detailed policy to get to the meadows of emotional pronouncements.

Mr. Bush even told a story about a flood-devastated family in Texas with whom he had cried.

''That's what governors do,'' he said.

Despite Mr. Gore's efforts at laughter and all his references to the middle-class people who had become his chums, he was above all a reference book of foreign names and domestic facts and figures.

Mr. Gore lunged for his speaking time, and quickly crammed it with words.

True to form, Mr. Gore adopted the lexicon of a teacher.

''Let me explain the difference,'' he said. Mr. Gore attacked, firing the same bullet over and over: that the ''wealthiest 1 percent'' of Americans would get more money in tax cuts from Mr. Bush than Mr. Bush would spend on social programs for less privileged Americans.

They were dressed almost like twins, in red ties and dark suits. But they were hardly identical.

Mr. Gore kept digressing to explain things, as if Mr. Bush needed the tutorials. Mr. Bush kept telling voters to listen to his own words and not Mr. Gore's characterizations of them, as if nothing Mr. Gore said could be trusted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
If Saudi Arabia was so bad, why did Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr have decent relationships with the country as well? Again, why is it bad only when Hilldog does it?

• Locked thread