Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Yeah! Piece of crap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Does Duke say bazinga? I was promised a bazinga.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Does Duke say bazinga? I was promised a bazinga.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1Vzg92DMev1

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

I can't loving stop laughing at this, I think I have irony poisoning

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Guillermus posted:

Looking great so far. 2013 was a good FPS year with unexpected stuff like Blood Dragon, Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Shadow Warrior. This year got a great Doom game and Shadow Warrior 2!

wait, gunslinger was good? I pretty much totally ignored it after the shitshow that was cartel.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Keiya posted:

wait, gunslinger was good? I pretty much totally ignored it after the shitshow that was cartel.

Gunslinger was good.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It really is good. Nobody knows what was Techland thinking while developing The Cartel, but nobody ever cared about or wanted that game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Thanks, Randy!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ETPC posted:

Wait, he does? Wow, good for him!
Yeah, I think he's been doing Steam Controller stuff? It's usually him posting online about updates to that stuff, anyway.

I didn't watch the stream and that was apparently a pretty good idea on my part, so all I've gotten from this is the trailer and website. The new levels seem pretty cool, but the visual "enhancements" and the re-recorded voiceover... eeeeeh. Especially since seemingly the rest of the original audio is still, like, 8khz.

I guess I'll watch for sales.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I wonder how long there is until there's a shitshow about a texas game developer releasing a game that depicts police officers as pigs and has you shoot them? Then again Duke's always loved his controversy, so they're probably hoping for it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Two big questions about World Tour.

1) Are they really going to call it World Tour and not include the three official expansions? Get hosed, Gearbox.

2) How will the console versions handle saving? Quicksaving is archaic as poo poo and I really hope they just use the Rewind feature from the 360 edition. That was a GREAT way to keep the challenge without any of the frustration.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ETPC posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress. The recommended specs on PC are just silly:

Processor: Intel Core i3-530 (2*2930) or equivalent AMD Phenom x4 9850 (4*2500) or equivalent
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: GeForce GT 610 (1024 MB) or equivalent Radeon HD 6850 (1024 MB) or equivalent
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 1200 MB available space

This is for a loving port of Duke Nukem 3D.

Also, no discount at all for owning Megaton Edition.

I have a computer too old to play a 2.5d duke nukem game in 2016

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Those 1,2 GB of free space on hard drive puzzles me most. But it's probably just a fuckton of libraries and frameworks to make the game work, it's 2016 after all.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm very much looking forward to this, looks like good stuff! And Jon St. John saved us with his awesomeness after the hilariously dragging panel before that.

Allen Blum and Levelord, music by Lee Jackson, Jon, I'm sold. Price could be a few bucks lower, but for me personally I can't wait to rock this.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Gonna guess the size is due to normal mapping and whatever new tech they're using for the lighting renderer. Honestly surprised to hear Levelord is back though, I thought he was happy with retirement but that's good news as well as Blum's return.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Get hosed, Gearbox.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

gearbox didn't even have a high bar to clear but they somehow ran facefirst into it. nice

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Johnny Joestar posted:

gearbox didn't even have a high bar to clear but they somehow ran facefirst into it. nice

Do the names mentioned in the above posts not mean anything to you? I'm pretty excited, but I also still play Duke 3D a lot. It's like a dream project, it's triumphant. Some of these guys are retired, this is a treasure!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I do think it's cool they got a lot of the original guys to work on the new episode but most of the original Duke maps are awful so I don't actually want to play it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I do think it's cool they got a lot of the original guys to work on the new episode but most of the original Duke maps are awful so I don't actually want to play it.

Goes without saying, an expanded version of a thingy is for people who like or would like the thingy in question. I think they're masterful maps personally.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SwissCM posted:

The GT610 is an very weak GPU.

GTX460 :(

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and upgrade.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Heavy Metal posted:

Do the names mentioned in the above posts not mean anything to you? I'm pretty excited, but I also still play Duke 3D a lot. It's like a dream project, it's triumphant. Some of these guys are retired, this is a treasure!

New levels by Blum and Levelord are cool and new music by Lee Jackson is wonderful.

But not $20 cool/wonderful.

And especially not "lose everything else" cool/wonderful.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

TerminusEst13 posted:

New levels by Blum and Levelord are cool and new music by Lee Jackson is wonderful.

But not $20 cool/wonderful.

And especially not "lose everything else" cool/wonderful.

I paid $100 for Balls of Steel edition, if they asked me I'd pay more than $20 for this episode, I'm a loose cannon baby

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Another weird thing. The flamethrower shown in the trailer works differently than the one cut from the original game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouuFDmUExu0

footage is from leaked 0.99 version

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Narcissus1916 posted:

Two big questions about World Tour.

1) Are they really going to call it World Tour and not include the three official expansions? Get hosed, Gearbox.

2) How will the console versions handle saving? Quicksaving is archaic as poo poo and I really hope they just use the Rewind feature from the 360 edition. That was a GREAT way to keep the challenge without any of the frustration.

Yeah they should have "wadsmooshed" everything.

Also when I say everything, I mean "used TerminX's work on HTTKC to include the console ports as well".

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Im confused, why aren't the non-3DR expansions included now? Are they tangled up in some rights nonsense or is it just laziness?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Considering that I'm a huge fan of Duke Nukem games (I own DN3D like 5 or 6 times in different platforms), I own Manhattan Project wich I loved and even played the PS1 games. I'm not going to get this thing until it's like 3-4€. 20€ for 8 new levels, even if they brought back Levelord and Lee Jackson. Get hosed Randy.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Something doesn't seem right here...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Keiya posted:

Gunslinger was great. Go buy it.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

The Kins posted:

Something doesn't seem right here...

Something is even more off when you notice that the PS4 and XboxOne have weaker single core clockspeeds than their listed minimum requirements, and Build is most certainly not a multithreaded engine.
Did they end up using Eduke32's rendering method where it just stops mid draw with GPU requests? (Which is about the slowest GPU task you could ever do on a PC. You need to async such calls for the next frame.)

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

KozmoNaut posted:

GTX460 :(

Perhaps I should bite the bullet and upgrade.

Your computer is 20 times the recommended specs, don't worry.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
One of these loving times I hope a re-release of DN3D will actually include the Total Meltdown levels from the PS1 version.

Maybe the 30th anniversary edition will be the charm.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Rocket Pan posted:

Something is even more off when you notice that the PS4 and XboxOne have weaker single core clockspeeds than their listed minimum requirements, and Build is most certainly not a multithreaded engine.

Clock speeds are misleading when you're comparing that far back, even when just considering single cores.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
They should've just planned to release world tour as an expansion for megaton edition for 5€ or something.

Edit: wow, just checked and megaton edition isn't for sale any more, had no idea. Guess that happened a while back.

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 3, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think the real answer is that Steam needed them to come up with minimum/recommended requirements and someone said gently caress it, it's late and I want to go home.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I just released the "First Encounter" demo of my new Wolf3D mod Wolfenstein Missions, with 9 levels out of a planned 34 for the full version. Download and more details in the zdoom.org thread.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Speaking of great Wolf3D stuff, SplitWolf 1.0 was released some time ago, so now you can replay Wolf3D with someone on the same PC! Too bad it wasn't released few days earlier, when I was visiting an old friend of mine and we both discovered that outside of Target, Serious Sam and old build of Doom Legacy, there are no split-screen shooters on PC.

http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=7543

Also, GOG should finally update the config files for Shadow Warrior, the game now runs in 320x240 and hidden HUD, with default keybinds and no mouselook. Annoying when you want to get someone into it and need to explain the arcanas of MS-DOS setup utilities.

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010
Splitscreen is exactly what I thought the previous post was about before noticing it was four separate screenshots.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
With a few console commands you can get L4D2 running in splitscreen. I would link to a guide I used but phone posting. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
IGN borrowed the Polygon intern who recorded video footage of Doom 4 to do some gameplay video of Gearbox's Duke 3D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYRgHcNXVo

There's also a second video on IGN of E1L3, confirming the Rewind mechanic from the XBLA release is back.

So! Let's go over this:

The Good:
Insta-switch between old and new renderers is always nice
Rewind system provides nice alternative to quicksaving/quickloading

The Bad:
Sound effects are very poorly resampled and often the wrong pitch
Redone voice acting... hooboy. The higher bitrate stands out from the rest of the sounds in a negative way, the performance feels really lifeless and the pain/exert grunts just sound weird
New lighting effects are gaudy as hell