Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lovechop posted:

i was replying to the guy above who actually suggested this

Oh okay.

Ulio posted:

the greatest most stacked tournament which was IPL 5

Was the coolest format but looking back at that tournament now it's actually kind of funny how bad some of the invited teams were. They had like 5 barely challenger tier teams, two of the worst ever iterations of Curse organization, and most of the top teams in the tournament feature players who couldn't make a bottom-tier LCS roster in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Work Friend Keven posted:

(in ron burgendy voice) Well.. that escalated quickly

yea

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

every time i watch an NV game all the koreans are feeding, whats up with that

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Monathin posted:

Liquid v NV is up right now and it's a Cool rear end Game already

Pretty impressed with Liquid's ability to always cut their most skilled players and throw in random dudes and play better. It's their highest skill as a team.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

henkman posted:

The current competitive scene being vastly more skilled than the early competitive scene doesn't make the early seasons somehow not "important"
Okay but China and Korea weren't even invited in Season 1, and in season 2 iG lost to Moscow5 and WE lost to CLG.EU in the quarterfinals and Korea were still a really good region with both their teams losing to the eventual winners TPA

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Luna Was Here posted:

If you're talking about the guy who is responsible for the ti2 classic "HE NEEDS TO PHASE THIS AUTO, WAAAAAAAOW" that would be former goon Larry 'LD' David. Tobi in hype mode is actually really good like 90% of the time but LD is only in hype mode at a proper time like 60% of the time. Tobi for better or worse is the best dota 2 caster hands down he just needs a good analyst to back him up since tobi is literally 2k or something

Nah, this guy didn't really have any particular phrase I remember hearing he just screamed, like incredibly loudly, all the time during the beta / early early tournaments and made the game completely unwatchable if you wanted to have volume on.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
NV are legit garbage.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Servaetes posted:

Nah, this guy didn't really have any particular phrase I remember hearing he just screamed, like incredibly loudly, all the time during the beta / early early tournaments and made the game completely unwatchable if you wanted to have volume on.

yeah that sounds like tobi

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
What was Fenix thinking lmao

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
lmao TL should have won almost 10 minutes ago but now NV are in the lead

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Schnorkles posted:

NV are legit garbage.

unfortunately TL are advanced, professional choke artists

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

I'm surprised to find out that Phreak doesn't actually know what an arcsecond is, very.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Monathin posted:

unfortunately TL are advanced, professional choke artists

It turns out kicking out everyone who's any good on your team has consequences.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Wait wtf where is Dardoch?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Smol posted:

Echo Fox.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Smol posted:

kicked off the team. he's signed with echo fox

general anime
Jan 8, 2013

by Lowtax
hoping liquid gets 3-0'd

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

general anime posted:

hoping liquid gets 3-0'd

i'd be really surprised if they didn't.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i was replying to the guy above who actually suggested this

Well it is true. Season 1 was a poo poo show where Fnatic won thanks to being one of the first team to figure out the adc/support bot meta.

E; basically people didn't even know how to play the game "properly".
IPL5 had some random teams but TEAM WE, CLG EU, Azubu Blaze, TPA, Gambit were probably some of the strongest teams during that time. I think they should have more korean teams but this is before Koreans were considered the absolute best. I don't know how the teams qualified or how they were invited but Azubu Frost was pretty good during this timeline.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 3, 2016

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Schnorkles posted:

kicked off the team. he's signed with echo fox

I... what? They decided to kick their best player again?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

on the bright side it seems like laneswap meta is finally dead, thank the gods

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

yeah that sounds like tobi

are you sure it wasn't Ayesee? Also here's the LD CLASSICO

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ulio posted:

Well it is true. Season 1 was a poo poo show where Fnatic won thanks to being one of the first team to figure out the adc/support bot meta.
Season 3 is the season where all major regions actually had a dedicated leagues feeding into World's for the first time which is why it's considered the start of the modern era.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Smol posted:

I... what? They decided to kick their best player again?

Fabbyy is gone too, its true.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

realtalk: TL appears to be a really toxic environment. It's probably Fenix's fault.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

are you sure it wasn't Ayesee? Also here's the LD CLASSICO

he said the beta/early tournaments and those were basically all tobi

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

realtalk: TL appears to be a really toxic environment. It's probably Fenix's fault.

Also the management and Loco are bad at controling the players. Who woulda thought having Piglet/Fenix/Dardoch/Loco would make the team environment nonproductive/toxic. They were stupid though to think Dardoch was better than Piglet. Even though he was great in Spring, Piglet carried most of their games. Dardoch had some flashy plays and all but Piglet won lane almost every game with a rookie support.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Ulio posted:

E; basically people didn't even know how to play the game "properly".
IPL5 had some random teams but TEAM WE, CLG EU, Azubu Blaze, TPA, Gambit were probably some of the strongest teams during that time. I think they should have more korean teams but this is before Koreans were considered the absolute best. I don't know how the teams qualified or how they were invited but Azubu Frost was pretty good during this timeline.

oh is figuring out the modern meta not impressive to you

by that logic ssw shouldn't have won s4 for doing the same

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

oh is figuring out the modern meta not impressive to you

by that logic ssw shouldn't have won s4 for doing the same
What are you even on about

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

What are you even on about

ssw (well dandy and mata) invented the modern way of playing that all teams use now and that's a huge part of what won them the tournament

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Well its not figuring out the modern meta it is something so fundamental to the game u can't compare that to how Samsung White played with lots of skirmishing and jungle/support roams. Basically if u didn't know the botlane meta in advance u played the game in a completely different way, its almost a different game at that point. Also lots of players weren't even playing fulltime, no team houses, no coaches and in general there was 0 macro involved. It was important to figure out how to play the game but the tournament itself was a mess because the game was in it's infancy. Many of those players/teams dropped off hard because the edge they had was being the first ones to the meta and not actually being good at the game. When people knew the meta and now could focus on becoming better/smarter players the game became more strategic and competitive. Of course there is still some players/teams left from that era.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

ssw (well dandy and mata) invented the modern way of playing that all teams use now and that's a huge part of what won them the tournament
No I mean what are you even arguing against? That when people start talking about regional dominance they start at Season 3?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

No I mean what are you even arguing against? That when people start talking about regional dominance they start at Season 3?

I am gay.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Somehow I doubt that c9 is quaking in their boots at the moment.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I don't even know what we're fighting over here, is it just whether or not people get a chance at Worlds? Or does the loser of the first set have to be punished in some way.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Here's something we can all agree on: Liquid is a clown car.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Monathin posted:

I don't even know what we're fighting over here, is it just whether or not people get a chance at Worlds? Or does the loser of the first set have to be punished in some way.

Winner advances to play C9. Winner of that advances to play IMT. Winner of that goes to Worlds.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

No morello no executioner's calling lol

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Monathin posted:

Winner advances to get destroyed by C9 and then on Monday we'll get an actual series of C9 vs IMT. Going to see if IMT can do their best TL impersonation and finish 4th with TSM, CLG, and C9 going to worlds.

Also, them mentioning that Arcsecond is top of the ladder is so dumb. No poo poo he is at the top, it isn't like the top LCS players are super focused on the ladder.

Maguoob fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Schnorkles posted:

Here's something we can all agree on: Liquid is a clown car.

Liquid's teamfighting has been hilariously bad so far today. In many fights two people are straight up disengaging at full hp meanwhile the other 3 are fighting. In the fight that cost them the baron, Fenix and Lourlo just walked out of the fight when only Jynthe had died. Also when they decided to push bot when envy has baron, Arcsecond and Lourlo again left Jynthe to die and left full hp. And why the heck would u push against a baroned up team?

Nice to see Liquid crumble after all their terrible management decisions. Fenix/Lourlo still outlaning Seraph/Ninja but in teamfights they have 0 cohesion.

• Locked thread