Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Karate Bastard posted:

Art. It's art. Art is anal pencil sharpening.

http://www.artisanalpencilsharpening.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spMaP-_Cq_8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Len posted:

Why would anyone do that much work for a pencil sharpener?

Oh wait...lifehax

quote:

Death OfTime19 hours ago
reminds me of the video i watched on one purpose cooking utensils. How people kitchens were filling with them.

A electric sharpener might be easier. I doubt it is less expensive to get or replace though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

It's baffling because he presents it as this great convenience. If he just said, like, "i wanted to make a drill-powered sharpener for fun" it'd make sense I guess but why would a "teacher who needs to sharpen lots of pencils" need this ever

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

Awwww yeah 3 section soy sauce, crunchy onion and chili oil pack, + 2 section beef flavor and chili powder pack:

Best cheap ramen

anti-Lifehack: put soy sauce and sriracha in your bowl of instant ramen

Sambal oeleck and plum sauce or Mae ploy sweet chili.

Sriracha is a fine condiment, but as an ingredient (and if you can take the heat, a condiment) sambal is the superior rooster sauce. With the addition plum sauce or sweet chili, you get salty-spicy-sweet, rather than SALTY!!!!-spicy

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
My friend uses that exact line to argue the virtues of straight up chilis over sambal. They're mental, and their cooking scares me.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Sapporo Ichiban Kitsune Udon is my instant-ramen pick

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

I remember being an immigrant child and coming home from school one day and asking my father to sharpen a blunt pencil I had. To my shock he proceeded to do so with a kitchen knife, and I remember in that moment feeling very poor, backwards, and underpriviledged; now in retrosepct I think it's kind of badass.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
the drill pencil sharpener is a thing i've seen a couple carpenter's have in their travel toolboxes

but usually they have a regular pencil sharpener or

y'know

a knife

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A carpenter's pencil isn't round anyway. (I mean a carpenter can use a round/hexagonal pencil if they want to but that doesn't make it a carpenter's pencil. [Which, incidentally, is the oldest extant pencil type or at least was when I last read about it. {Which was over ten years ago probably.}])

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I ran out of brackets.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

http://www.pencilpages.com/gallery/oldest.htm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

twoday posted:

I remember being an immigrant child and coming home from school one day and asking my father to sharpen a blunt pencil I had. To my shock he proceeded to do so with a kitchen knife, and I remember in that moment feeling very poor, backwards, and underpriviledged; now in retrosepct I think it's kind of badass.

with charcoal pencils and other specialized art pencils it's sometimes actually best to do it like that because a regular pencil sharpener will gently caress up the tip

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Also if you've got an oldish (no idea how old) soft pencil, it might be too thick to fit in a sharpener. I bought a bunch of Faber-Castell 9000s from a really old book store that was closing and some of them were so old they'd warped because of drying and all the 5Bs and 6Bs were hell of thick.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

henry david thoreau invented the technique that keeps lead inside of pencils but he gave the patent away to some germans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

henry david thoreau invented the technique that keeps lead inside of pencils but he gave the patent away to some germans

Oh you mean the process patented in France before Thoreau was born?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh you mean the process patented in France before Thoreau was born?

lifehack: it's easy to invent things when they already exist

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lifehack: it's easy to invent things when they already exist

A lot of people have made their fortunes on that principle.

e: Making it probably the first real lifehack ITT?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know a single person who works with pencils professionaly (producing art) that doesn't sharpen pencils with a knife. It's one of the basics because it gives you complete control over the drawing tool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

I don't know a single person who works with pencils professionaly (producing art) that doesn't sharpen pencils with a knife. It's one of the basics because it gives you complete control over the drawing tool.

BUT HOW DO YOU SHARPEN THE KNIFE?!?!?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jerry Cotton posted:

Normally? With a grinding wheel and a keen eye for detail :v:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
This man is the Andy Kaufman of our generation

https://youtu.be/kDnhwSbrzoQ

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Wasabi the J posted:

This man is the Andy Kaufman of our generation

https://youtu.be/kDnhwSbrzoQ

All that talk about shafts and tips. Genius.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Very carefully.

But actually most people just use the cheapest snap-off knives.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Palpek posted:

Very carefully.

But actually most people just use the cheapest snap-off knives.

Yeah that's probably for the best. I use an actual pen knife me dad gave me and sharpen it with a stone.

And I use pencils at work because :shrug:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY15tM1ROOA

Lifehack: Do all this poo poo instead of buying a bag clip.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Haifisch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY15tM1ROOA

Lifehack: Do all this poo poo instead of buying a bag clip.

Making a disposable single-use item useable again with minimal effort? Yeah, I'd do that. I already toss plastic forks and terrible chopsticks in the dishwasher if there's space. Needs to involve more melting plastic to be a proper lifehack, I'd say.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Polyseme posted:

Making a disposable single-use item useable again with minimal effort? Yeah, I'd do that. I already toss plastic forks and terrible chopsticks in the dishwasher if there's space. Needs to involve more melting plastic to be a proper lifehack, I'd say.

but what would you use the REUSABLE CHIP BAG for? if you want more chips you'll have to buy another bag

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
I don't think it would help with freshness like the video says since once you cut open the bag all the nitrogen gas inside would be released like it would if you opened it normally.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

yeah lets bring a loving drill to a classroom full of stupid kids that's a great idea

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I never have to worry about sharpening my pencil because I use a mechanical one.

Lifehack! :haw:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Butt Detective posted:

I never have to worry about sharpening my pencil because I use a mechanical one.

Lifehack! :haw:

They make mechanical art pencils???

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

om nom nom posted:

Sambal oeleck and plum sauce or Mae ploy sweet chili.

Sriracha is a fine condiment, but as an ingredient (and if you can take the heat, a condiment) sambal is the superior rooster sauce. With the addition plum sauce or sweet chili, you get salty-spicy-sweet, rather than SALTY!!!!-spicy

Sambal oelek sucks, it's bland indo chilli sauce for white people.
There's heaps of good sambals (chilli sauces) though from Indonesia. What you want for ramen is ABC chilli sauce - extra hot version. It's even got MSG in it!
Another good one is Sambel Cap ibu Jari as a chilli sauce in a bottle.

Also there's sambal that are more of a paste in a jar like Sambal udang bawang (Shallot and Garlic).

E: Mae ploy sweet chilli is a great sauce for things, I usually have it on potato fries/wedges/skins or chicken. I didn't ever think to use it on noodles or rice though.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Sep 4, 2016

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've only seem them used for drafting. They use 2mm leads and you still need to sharpen them, usually with a strip of sandpaper. They do make the leads in different hardness, so I suppose they could be used for traditional pencil drawings.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Buckets posted:

I don't think it would help with freshness like the video says since once you cut open the bag all the nitrogen gas inside would be released like it would if you opened it normally.

Megg looks like she knows a hack or two.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Yes, except they're called lead pointers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

flosofl posted:

I've only seem them used for drafting. They use 2mm leads and you still need to sharpen them, usually with a strip of sandpaper. They do make the leads in different hardness, so I suppose they could be used for traditional pencil drawings.

Actual LIFE HACK: you see the little hole on the non-drawing end of your 2mm (or larger) mechanical pencil or, as they are known in the trade, lead holder*? It's a sharpener. Or maybe they make ones that don't have it, I've only ever used three different models :shrug:

*) I mean it is a very descriptive term.

e: GET ONE THAT DOES SO THIS HACK WILL WORK, TIA.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
GIFts from the GIF thread! :haw:

Ak Gara posted:

I had a great idea the other week. You know how when you take a bite of a burger+cheese in a bun, and you end up biting more from the bottom than the top or the whole thing starts sliding apart with each bite?

Each bite, flip the whole thing over! Now it'll be even! :derp:

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Karate Bastard posted:

GIFts from the GIF thread! :haw:

That's... something I do. I also count out how many bites I'll need to take. And try to balance which side of my mouth I use to chew, and so forth. That's a useful life-hack and I was happy to figure it out whenever I did, yes, but but it's like stir things while you cook them for more consistent cooking.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Fo3 posted:

Sambal oelek sucks, it's bland indo chilli sauce for white people.
There's heaps of good sambals (chilli sauces) though from Indonesia. What you want for ramen is ABC chilli sauce - extra hot version. It's even got MSG in it!
Another good one is Sambel Cap ibu Jari as a chilli sauce in a bottle.

Also there's sambal that are more of a paste in a jar like Sambal udang bawang (Shallot and Garlic).

E: Mae ploy sweet chilli is a great sauce for things, I usually have it on potato fries/wedges/skins or chicken. I didn't ever think to use it on noodles or rice though.

Man, when I was working in Yellowstone I had a guy working for me from China, he had brought a case of some chili garlic paste with like little bits of crispy bacon in it, and have me a jar. It was super spicy and flavorful. Holy poo poo, that was the best thing I've ever had. But he didn't speak English very well, and all of the characters on the bottle were Chinese. So I have no idea what it was and will likely never find it again. I was so sad when I finished the bottle off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dang, all my favorite threads are producing quality content right now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'm old and uncool, because I have no idea how "hot knives" is supposed to work.

Urban dictionary posted:

hot knife
Method of smoking hash where a blim is sandwiched between two red hot knives. The resulting smoke is collecting in a plastic bottle (which has had the bottom removed) and inhaled.

Lotish posted:

Seems like there would be a better way...

Slime posted:

sometimes all you have is a stove and some knives and a bottle

also you can do it with other smokeables which is what it's probably used for more often