Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CottonWolf posted:

It's not particularly sexualised though. It feels more as if, in the culture, people don't wear tops, as the women are wearing almost exactly what the men are.

It's still bulletproof nudity rules at work though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's historically- and culturally-appropriate, non-sexualised and applies equally to both genders.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's historically- and culturally-appropriate, non-sexualised and applies equally to both genders.

No no, breasts are satan in disguise!
- America

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

FRINGE posted:

No no, breasts are satan in disguise!
- America

I loving hate this attitude. It's like Renaissance art never existed for some of these Philistines.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Renaissance is furrin for 'Satan waving his rear end again'.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In their alternate reality it is "Tits out for Harambe".

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we are very cultured

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lemon-Lime posted:

While it's good that the topless women seem culturally in-line with the topless men and aren't particularly sexualised, there are also plenty of male-looking people in full clothing and heavy armour on display and at most one or two women fully-clothed - and that's assuming based on long hair and braids, which given the scandinavian feel could easily be male. It's all well and good to have your topless men and women in equal measure, but if the same doesn't apply at the other end of the spectrum it's still not great.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's something that I'd we willing to give the benefit of the doubt but if the final product has the same ratios I'll be disappointed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do they give a page count for the books at any point? I've looked through the page and I couldn't spot one. But my inner to-good-to-be-true sense is tingling for 4+ hardback books for £70 inc shipping.

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

CottonWolf posted:

It's not particularly sexualised though. It feels more as if, in the culture, people don't wear tops, as the women are wearing almost exactly what the men are.

Agreed.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Sharknado stalled out at almost 50% for pretty much a week now. I think it has something to do with the shitshow of a project they've been running.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
That looks needlessly complex, especially considering the property it's based on.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

What Ho, World! has 4 days left to go! It's coming up to 140% funded, which means we've unlocked:
  • An extra character deck: the Adventurer, a daring explorer somewhere between Indiana Jones and Dixon Bainbridge.
  • A deck size increase, bringing us up to 120 cards.
  • An extra setting: Wizard Aren't Gentlemen brings this system of farce and intrigue to a world of majestic sorcerers, bound demonic servants, and hoarded arcane secrets.
Every backer gets all of the above in digital form, and you can pledge extra to get physical versions sent to you alongside the main deck. The game itself is a very much drifted Powered by the Apocalypse, one-shot, GM-less game that uses card mechanics to handle scene pacing, spotlight sharing, and action resolution and lets you jump straight into a story with zero prep. If you'd like to know how it works, I put up an actual play video on youtube that covers character creation, game setup and a few scenes of the story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIo_N9fhHGI

If any of that tickles your fancy, visit the kickstarter page for more information!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fields of Green is down to the last 48 hours. It looks like it will be a really fun, easy to play game. But I don't need another game right now but it looks perfect for my wife and I.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

You can add new Kult to the list of delayed Kickstarters. Pushed from the end of this year to "Spring 2017". Though apparently a 20000 word quickstart rules document will be sent out to backers within the next couple of weeks, so we can be reasonably certain they are actually doing something.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 5, 2016

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Trudvang Chronicles is flying through stretch goals, and has already added another book. According to the creators, the books should be between 150ish to 100 pages each, depending on how the stretch goals go.
Edit: Also, they wrote up a short rules summary here.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The setting seems really cool but I can't see anything enticing in that rules overview. "D&D, but Scandinavian" doesn't strike me as being worth spending ~AUD$120 on. Makes me really wish they had a PDF tier.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

The setting seems really cool but I can't see anything enticing in that rules overview. "D&D, but Scandinavian" doesn't strike me as being worth spending ~AUD$120 on. Makes me really wish they had a PDF tier.

Same here.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It's unfortunately one of those games that has attained legendary status because of it's lack of translation but in reality is just a pretty run of the mill RPG. See also: Drakar och Demoner

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It's unfortunately one of those games that has attained legendary status because of it's lack of translation but in reality is just a pretty run of the mill RPG. See also: Drakar och Demoner

Trudvang is the name of the setting of Drakar och Demoner. The legendary status comes from how... well, you all know how pre-3e D&D has this incredibly legendary status among Americans as the epitome of classic roleplaying, from whence came the most epic of long-lasting campaigns about good old fun, where killing a dragon was a legendary feat and blah blah blah nostalgia?

Well, Dungeons & Dragons didn't quite catch on in Sweden the way it did a lot of other places. The role of the perennial fantasy tabletop RPG had been claimed by a Swedish translation of BRP's Magic World. So all those fond 80's and 90's memories and nostalgia Americans have about D&D? Swedes have those about a BRP translation.

Also, ducks.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LatwPIAT posted:

Trudvang is the name of the setting of Drakar och Demoner. The legendary status comes from how... well, you all know how pre-3e D&D has this incredibly legendary status among Americans as the epitome of classic roleplaying, from whence came the most epic of long-lasting campaigns about good old fun, where killing a dragon was a legendary feat and blah blah blah nostalgia?

Well, Dungeons & Dragons didn't quite catch on in Sweden the way it did a lot of other places. The role of the perennial fantasy tabletop RPG had been claimed by a Swedish translation of BRP's Magic World. So all those fond 80's and 90's memories and nostalgia Americans have about D&D? Swedes have those about a BRP translation.

Also, ducks.

is that where those berserker ducks from King of Dragon Pass comes from?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Other way around: As mentioned, Drakar och Demoner started as a BRP adaptation, which means Runequest, which means berserker death and war ducks.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Northern Europe is filthy for Ducktales comics so it's probably that.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's about 50% Disney comics, and 50% runequest including duck PCs.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The famous Swedish RPG Trudvang Chronicles is finally getting an english translation! It looks loving beautiful, and sounds like a fairly good amount of things for the amount pledged.

Looking at the page I don't see anything about international shipping but I can't imagine it'll be cheap.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Man, SJG is running this KS in about the most boring fashion possible.

On the other hand, I didn't think it possible, but Will Hindmarch has rekindled some of my long-dead enthusiasm for Project Dark with some rad, crazy detailed city maps. Not sure if the link is supposed to be backers only, else I'd post it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Car Wars Arenas was similarly "here is product, buy y/n?". It was exactly as adverted but only of interest to deep devotees.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

is that where those berserker ducks from King of Dragon Pass comes from?

You don't gently caress with the berserker ducks in King of Dragon Pass. It's a one-way ticket to getting your poo poo ruined.

Speaking of the Finns and ducks, I do believe that the Dolan meme started on some Finnish forums.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Car Wars Arenas was similarly "here is product, buy y/n?". It was exactly as adverted but only of interest to deep devotees.
Yeah, I'm really reconsidering. Some pizzazz would be nice. Something to keep me on my toes, waiting for the release.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Thornwatch, a pretty-looking game with art from the Penny Arcade guys is up on Kickstarter. I'm kind of ambivalent since Tycho's a transphobe and a rape apologist.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

demota posted:

Thornwatch, a pretty-looking game with art from the Penny Arcade guys is up on Kickstarter. I'm kind of ambivalent since Tycho's a transphobe and a rape apologist.

Gabe is the transphobe and rape apologist, I thought? Tycho is just a pretentious moron who writes too many words while saying nothing and has the balls to call himself Tycho. But I haven't kept up with webcomics since the heady days of loss.jpg.

Also I hate the way Gabe draws noses. It's criminal.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They're both garbage people. Save your money and spend it on something else.

*sanitation workers are wonderful and underpaid human beings who deserve our endless gratitude. What I'm describing here is more of a trash golem situation.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

My quick appraisal is that it'll be terrible.

It looks to be a pretty generic dm-vs-players, "players can choose to kill-dudes-on-grid or touch 3 poops before turn 8" type game, with firm rules for how far you can move and what happens when you attack with ability X... which I guess is fine... but it also has really squishy stuff like "if you and the judge agree you're being *heroic*, do X" type things that should create lots of "Is this a play-to-win game for me? Is it one for you too?" type debates among players. There's too many hard rules to do much role playing, I'd think, but they still really want that to be the focus.. I guess.

If they're making an RPG, I don't think they're committed enough that they'll actually build much of a world (eg. there's pretty much no new art on the KS page or in the Print & Play as it stands) and so that will end with there not being enough grist for the story mill. If they're making a board game, I think it'll be terrible; there's no reason to believe they'll put real effort into the design. Like, Penny Arcade Deckbuilder was perhaps the worst designed game I've ever played. Cryptozoic always phones in their designs, but this was by far the worst - worst core game idea, worst balance, worst everything. And, yeah, the PA guys have done minimum effort on art for their previous board games, with most cards just reusing poorly cropped images from the strip. This game will require a bunch of art, and the PA people haven't demonstrated the attention span that would be required to make that happen.

Edit: Lastly, you don't have persistent characters, you just unlock perks (sorry, "knots") that go into the pool of poo poo you pick at the beginning of a session. I realize that makes the game easier to balance and play with a changing group... but it's also garbage. I mean, imagine playing Mice & Mystics (or Imperial Assault or whatever), only with 1/3rd of the original art, random subjective judgments about mechanics (oh yes, Han Solo was very smuggly there, he can untap his Wookie), and no persistent player characters/progression. Who wants this game?

I do like that the DM is called the "Judge of Wood", though.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 6, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, if nothing else, Penny Arcade: Gamers vs. Evil and the Penny Arcade UFS set were both messes at best and bad indications of future releases. You'd think they'd care more about the games they put out, but apparently not. It's too bad, because it's certainly not the the worst fantasy setting they've hinted at over the years, you probably could do something decent with it, but I've learned to expect :effort: at this point. It'll fund, though, it's already detonated like a shitbag in summer.

Granted, having heard some rumors how Gabe treated licensees in the past, perhaps a light touch is best for everyone. Hopefully he's lived up to his broad apology from years back, but I stopped paying attention a long time ago and decided not caring was easier than being disappointed again.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm surprised and glad that SJG isn't doing promo Munchkin cards to pad out the Kickstarters.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

demota posted:

The game is ready to play now in PNP format, but they aren't going to deliver the finished product for a year. Even if this wasn't Penny Arcade they could gently caress off.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I remember being excited about Thornwatch like, 5 years ago, when I was still following Penny Arcade for some reason, and when it was going to be a 4th Edition D&D heartbreaker with an interesting theme/setting. This does not look very good, and it seems weird how they've sort of dialed back from the 4E Heartbreaker to a board game, and the kind of board game that's been everywhere for the past decade and kinda mediocre every time.

Chances of this being worthwhile are very small, considering their past record, and I'm also going to have to recommend against buying in because of the transphobe/rape apologist thing.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
I really like Mike Selinker and respect him immensely, but his support of the Penny Arcade guys baffles me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Jedit posted:

The game is ready to play now in PNP format, but they aren't going to deliver the finished product for a year. Even if this wasn't Penny Arcade they could gently caress off.

A year? How do you? I don't even... the Million Dollars But card game was ready to hit the printer at the end of the KS and they delivered in the same month for some backers. Admittedly, card games with minimal art are easy to print, but seriously, I would expect a goddamn board game that doesn't even use miniatures, is already complete, and apparently has full art already done would take a couple of months, tops.