Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Logicblade posted:

I would gas a colony full of youtube commenters.

I live in a world where they only exist when they are brought up, hurray for browser plug ins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Our souls are weigh down by Youtube upvotes

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

PBS Newshour posted:

I started Gundam Wing. Heero Yuy is totally incapable of doing any action normally. I love it.

I will unashamedly say that he (and Relena) is one of my favorite Gundam characters if only because of this. Not sure how far into GW you are but Heero only keeps getting weirder. Quatre's psychotic break was also pretty awesome. Brad Swaile does the best crazy Quatre laugh too - the Wing dub definitely has it's bad moments but I genuinely like it a lot and it did a good job with casting. Noin in particular sounds wrong in the Japanese original (because I can't not hear Sasami basically).

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I'm only like 8 episodes in but everything I know that happens in this show has happened so I'm really looking forward to what seems like is going to be a crazy ride.

Relena is probably my favorite so far. She is just very casual about these events so far.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

PBS Newshour posted:

I'm only like 8 episodes in but everything I know that happens in this show has happened so I'm really looking forward to what seems like is going to be a crazy ride.

Relena is probably my favorite so far. She is just very casual about these events so far.

Relena kicks rear end. And she wears a Napoleonic uniform like a boss.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God drat, I heard everyone in this show is insane, but really everyone in this show is insane. The main cast, the side characters, and even the grunt pilots. How does this world function?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

God drat, I heard everyone in this show is insane, but really everyone in this show is insane. The main cast, the side characters, and even the grunt pilots. How does this world function?

Poorly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yet it does much better than the Universal Century!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

PBS Newshour posted:

Crazily. I assume everyone rules like Treize, in a rose bath with adoring split personalty right hand women/men.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Wing certainly has memoriable characters.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

I'll have you know After Colony is probably one of the nicest Gundam timelines to live in, maybe even the best. In a world where everyone is insane, no one is insane and thus everything works out pretty well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Campbell Lane could read the dictionary and it'd be the most soothing thing.

"Insanity: The condition of being insane. A derangement of the mind. The Gundam Wing Boys are all insane."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Logicblade posted:

Campbell Lane could read the dictionary and it'd be the most soothing thing.

"Insanity: The condition of being insane. A derangement of the mind. The Gundam Wing Boys are all insane."

I just love how he's almost character in his own right and not just some generic narrator describing things that happened. That's what really makes him stand out.

"However, the United Earth Sphere Alliance gains great military powers, and soon seizes control of one colony after another in the name of justice...and peace."

The narrator's contempt for those last two words never stops being amazing. Even he knows they're full of poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He got fed up with the lunatics in Wing and decided to skip town and help the Kushan find their homeworld.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I'll have you know After Colony is probably one of the nicest Gundam timelines to live in, maybe even the best. In a world where everyone is insane, no one is insane and thus everything works out pretty well.

Until the whole nanobots thing in Frozen Teardrop but that's technically not After Colony I guess.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

Zechs is the better Char analogue all things considered. I've also given up on 0083 for the moment and have started with Origin instead.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Zechs is the better Char analogue all things considered.

I like Zechs too but who's he better than?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

NikkolasKing posted:

I like Zechs too but who's he better than?

Neo Roanoke,Mask (or whatever the guy from Reco no G was called),and that guy from AGE. I would add Graham Acre to that list,but I don't wanna offend any OO fans.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 4, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I've never been a particular fan of Wing simply because I've never been a fan of the two leads. They're not the worst characters - Wufei basically wins that award by a mile - but at the same time they're a strange combination of dull and at the same time irritating in more than a few of their actions to me.

There are plenty of other good characters in Wing: Zechs, Treize, Duo, etc., but ultimately I don't particularly care about either Heero or Relena, and so much focus is on one or the other that it colors my opinion of the show as a whole. Wing also not being my first Gundam meant that it has basically zero nostalgia value either. Are some of the stories and characters fun? Sure, but ultimately the main character makes or breaks the show, and I'd prefer to go watch a Gundam with an actually interesting protagonist, like X, rather than Heero.

edit: I don't think it's a bad Gundam, like AGE or Destiny, but at the same time it's not particularly good.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 4, 2016

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I think when it comes to Wing it all depends on what you're willing to tolerate and what you're looking for in your giant robot shows. I really like it, nostalgia not withstanding because it also was not my first Gundam, and I enjoy all the characters. On the other hand it's a giant mess plot wise - Endless Waltz and the side materials are probably the best because they are by nature concise. It's a Gundam series that would have definitely benefited from editing.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

NikkolasKing posted:

I just love how he's almost character in his own right and not just some generic narrator describing things that happened. That's what really makes him stand out.

"However, the United Earth Sphere Alliance gains great military powers, and soon seizes control of one colony after another in the name of justice...and peace."

The narrator's contempt for those last two words never stops being amazing. Even he knows they're full of poo poo.

Every time he says "However" is great.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

heero is great

here is a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

NikkolasKing posted:

That quote never fails to get a smile out of me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ninjewtsu posted:

heero is great

here is a demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

Oh my God why am I not watching the dub?!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

I honestly don't know.

(Also, the politics in Gundam award goes to Turn A, easy. Everyone has an agenda they're working towards, even the total idiots! Especially the total idiots!)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

PBS Newshour posted:

You should! It's like half the fun of gundam wing!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PBS Newshour posted:

Almost all of the characters sound like they just popped a lot of downers or are half-asleep or something. It's really strange at first but I've never heard anything like it in all my years of dub watching and I think it really ends up helping to make Wing's dub something special.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8YH0Myz-KA
Wing dub is.... special.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I've also given up on 0083 for the moment and have started with Origin instead.

A good choice. 0083 is beautiful to look at, and the overall plot isn't bad, but the main leads are all uniformly awful and in Gato's case, underdeveloped, and the story progression is a clusterfuck.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

VolticSurge posted:

Neo Roanoke,Mask (or whatever the guy from Reco no G was called),and that guy from AGE. I would add Graham Acre to that list,but I don't wanna offend any OO fans.

My issue with Zechs as A CHAR is that he is just too similar to Char. It's been a bit since I last forayed into Wing but he is probably the Gundam Masked Guy most snuggly fit into that mold. You need some overlap, the mask and identity issue in the very least, but Zechs is too much. By contrast Neo and Mr. Bushido just have the mask and their identities are mostly forced, so they don't really commit enough. Zeheart (AGE) and Mask are better at working in that cliche while being their own thing, though their bits are not well executed in their respective series.

One of the few things I'm interested in for IBO S2 is to see how McGillis time in the Char Chair ends up, because he's been a great cut throat bastard through S1, but that's the depth of it so far.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PBS Newshour posted:

Seriously, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not Dave posted:

My issue with Zechs as A CHAR is that he is just too similar to Char. It's been a bit since I last forayed into Wing but he is probably the Gundam Masked Guy most snuggly fit into that mold. You need some overlap, the mask and identity issue in the very least, but Zechs is too much. By contrast Neo and Mr. Bushido just have the mask and their identities are mostly forced, so they don't really commit enough. Zeheart (AGE) and Mask are better at working in that cliche while being their own thing, though their bits are not well executed in their respective series.

One of the few things I'm interested in for IBO S2 is to see how McGillis time in the Char Chair ends up, because he's been a great cut throat bastard through S1, but that's the depth of it so far.

The interesting thing about McGillis is that he's almost a perfect copy of Char, except for one little thing - he doesn't have his ancestor's crippling, pathological fear of responsibility. The guy actually wants to rule. That's kind of exciting, because it means that we're stepping into completely unknown territory with S2. Hopefully he won't just end up being Ribbons 2.0, though.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
WE'VE BEEN UNDER ATTACK BY MORBLSUITS FROM GUNDAYMEEUM ALLOY MADE IN OUTER SPACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time he says "However" is great.

Always wondered if the reason that he said however so much was a too literal translation or something.

Seriously though Campbell lane owned. Rip.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh god the confusion over the warning shots thing with the opening of Wing still makes me both cringe and smile at the same time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm really glad I chose to watch Wing in English.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Anytime people suggest watching wing, it is with express recommendation that it's in english. The japanese dub is dreadfully boring.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just started watching wing and it is hilariously bad.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Wing is much like Nic Cage where you can call it bad and that's the end of it but that answer is unfulfilling, somehow, and also fails to convey the scope of its true nature. Wing is insane and hard as gently caress, and approaches it's premise with the sort of straight faced nonsensicality that can only be born of deliberate action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

The interesting thing about McGillis is that he's almost a perfect copy of Char, except for one little thing - he doesn't have his ancestor's crippling, pathological fear of responsibility. The guy actually wants to rule. That's kind of exciting, because it means that we're stepping into completely unknown territory with S2. Hopefully he won't just end up being Ribbons 2.0, though.

I found it interesting how IBO leaned so heavily into One Year War archetypes for the villains, while going much further from the standard for the heroes.

It helped set up a pretty distinct dynamic between McGillis and Tekkadan while still allowing him to be CHAR as all hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Wing is intentionally weird and in all the craziness it has some genuinely neat ideas. I love that it's a plot point that the Wing Boys aren't really much in terms of heroes. Almost all Gundam series revolve around one little shithead teenager who ell into a robot and now he and he alone can save everyone. Wing isn't like that at all. There's a reason the manga remake is called "Glory of Losers." Heero and co. don't accomplish a lot but it's never about how far they get but how hard they fought. It's not about the destination but the journey itself. And in the end, the real hero is Relena. Who saw that one coming in Episode 1?

Wing is awesome.