Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chairman Capone posted:

Rewatching The Dark Knight Rises, I feel again that it's my favorite of the Nolan trilogy, even though I do acknowledge that The Dark Knight is superior in many ways, there's just something about the weight of TDKR and the way that it fits in not only as a sequel to TDK, but also as a sequel to Batman Begins, not just with direct references but with themes and imagery and even subtle musical cues that all just really works for me. Overall I feel like the Nolan trilogy is one of the few trilogies of any sort where in addition to all the individual pieces working well on their own, it actually can benefit from watching them back to back and taking it in as a single three-act story.

I actually think The Dark Knight is the weakest of the trilogy (Begins being the best by a country mile and then some) because what Nolan clearly intends to be the crux of the story -- Dent's downfall -- doesn't feel earned at all and would have been much better served by Dent having a role in Begins so we got to know him. Rises is definitely bloated (the whole junk in the early parts with Selina Kyle is just awful, awful fluff), and the attempt to make Cleveland in the summer look like "Gotham" in the winter was ... mediocre at best, but it's better than the sum of its parts.

It's also fun to read the second half as Wayne's fantasy after dying in the pit prison, considering how awesome Batman is seen by everyone, how he's regarded as a martyr, and I can just imagine him thinking, "Heh, this is gonna be so loving cool" when he lights up that giant flaming bat insignia on the side of the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I finally watched the Ultimate Edition of Batman V. Superman, and I can't believe how many of the issues it resolved for me. Superman felt like a character. There were establishing shots. Lex's orchestrating of events made sense, or at least a whole lot more than in the theatrical cut. I really feel like WB shot themselves in the foot with the theatrical release.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

ghostwritingduck posted:

I finally watched the Ultimate Edition of Batman V. Superman, and I can't believe how many of the issues it resolved for me. Superman felt like a character. There were establishing shots. Lex's orchestrating of events made sense, or at least a whole lot more than in the theatrical cut. I really feel like WB shot themselves in the foot with the theatrical release.

It is definitely better than the theatrical version, but it is still a 3 hour long movie that should have been two.

Some of the cut scenes are less than 10 seconds and complete certain scenes, so it was incredibly bizarre that they cut a 10 second establishing scene for time, but kept the 15 minutes afterwards that made no sense now. The editing in the theatrical cut is really really baffling.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I've been watching Justice League episodes on Netflix recently. I'm amazed at how well-paced the show is. For instance, the episode where Vandal Savage uses time travel to win World War 2. They start off in space, some dialogue is had, they are in the altered future, they establish Vandal Savage as the villain, they meet the Resistance, Batman explains everything and they head back to the past. This happens over the course of about 10 minutes. I feel like in todays world this would be an entire 90-120 minute movie that would somehow end with the reveal of some other, bigger villain pulling the strings.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I cannot stand the style of any of those DC animated shows...they all look bad

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Begins is the weakest of the trilogy by orders of magnitude.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

nah it's the best if only for being the only one that's not at least 20 minutes too long.

DKR is my pick for easy worst just because it's such a jumbled mess, although i think that messiness is what some people like about it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Squinty posted:

I think I hate TV news product placement even more than normal product placement. Seeing Anderson Cooper or Wolf Blitzer talk about invading space aliens or giant monsters or whatever just yanks me straight the gently caress out the film.
Nah, I think Wolf fits perfectly in movies as a journalist. He's spent years pretending to be one on TV, and sometimes he's even almost convincing.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I just found Begins boring compared to the other two :shrug:

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Quick & dirty:

Original:

Still too evenly lit.

Corel Painter's color correction tools aren't the best and I'm not the best at using them.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Nah, I think Wolf fits perfectly in movies as a journalist. He's spent years pretending to be one on TV, and sometimes he's even almost convincing.

This is a supervillain origin story if I ever saw one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPJtg_-PtDQ

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Still too evenly lit.

Corel Painter's color correction tools aren't the best and I'm not the best at using them.

Now that's what I'm talking about.

You've actually painted in some shading, right? I only messed with the image as a whole.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Hat Thoughts posted:

I cannot stand the style of any of those DC animated shows...they all look bad

I think the Justice League show's style sort of got worse and worse for me over the years. I loved it when it was first on the air, but gradually it just sort of became nothing but huge, angular bulky bodies. Young Justice I think REALLY should be holding the mantel of the best DC superteam animated series. It still has some design issues, I think, with extremely bulky adult characters, but I thought the designs I think worked better than trying to keep in with the BTAS and STAS designs.

Granted, these are commercials, but I love how sort of fluid and pre-90s the style is in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnZLoBuTDU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Now that's what I'm talking about.

You've actually painted in some shading, right? I only messed with the image as a whole.

Shading and lighting, yeah. I think I accidentally painted over the lighting from the fire on the right side of that front car, though, and I made Ruffalo a little too indistinct.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think the Justice League show's style sort of got worse and worse for me over the years. I loved it when it was first on the air, but gradually it just sort of became nothing but huge, angular bulky bodies. Young Justice I think REALLY should be holding the mantel of the best DC superteam animated series. It still has some design issues, I think, with extremely bulky adult characters, but I thought the designs I think worked better than trying to keep in with the BTAS and STAS designs.

Granted, these are commercials, but I love how sort of fluid and pre-90s the style is in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUnZLoBuTDU

I don't think you could make an animated series that looked like that NOW honestly. Those commercials had some budget

Also Young Justice might have better designs, but its story was God awful. Useless, lovely teen angst all over the goddamn place

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Still too evenly lit.

Devils don't come from hell beneath us. No, they come on motorbikes.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

seravid posted:

Right. Cap learns about this crucial event through a tiny screen in a gray room, with his mildly bothered expression shot with Marvel's standard diffused lighting. The movie doesn't care, so why should he?

In BvS, the bombing fills both the frame and Bruce's world. The reaction shot has his mind projected to the ceiling; it doesn't look good.

Round 2:

The CW one kinda looks like The Creation of Adam. A very buff Adam.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Burkion posted:

Also Young Justice might have better designs, but its story was God awful. Useless, lovely teen angst all over the goddamn place

uh yj has alot of the same character drama beats going on that superhero stories tend to do, i dunno what was uniquely 'teen angst' about it at all

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Grendels Dad posted:

The CW one kinda looks like The Creation of Adam. A very buff Adam.

So as buff as regular Adam.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Brother Entropy posted:

uh yj has alot of the same character drama beats going on that superhero stories tend to do, i dunno what was uniquely 'teen angst' about it at all

The main beef of YJ that I have is the ridiculous levels of "just as planned" the villains had

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It played a difficult balance of baffling neither the villains or heroes look incompetent. Generally by making the heroes successful in stopping their short term goals without impacting their long term plan.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

hiddenriverninja posted:

The main beef of YJ that I have is the ridiculous levels of "just as planned" the villains had
Another problem the show had was that it was operating on the idea that the show was going to last seven seasons.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

My Lovely Horse posted:

All comic book movie TV news should be presented by the trio of newscasters from Spawn where one was straightforward and serious and the others a shallow celebrity news presenter and a conspiracy theorist.

Spawn has so many good ideas and it kind of annoys me that they've only ever done anything cohesive with them in the HBO cartoon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I don't care what other problems ASM2 might have, but the whole Electro fight scene is legit one of the best things I've seen in the superhero genre. Sound design and music just make it.

Co-sign. I enjoyed both ASM movies more than the Raimi films, but I like them all really except one. The only Spiderman movie I actively disliked was SM3, which I walked out on before it ended. I'd say we have 4 out of 5 rather decent depictions of Spiderman on the big screen. I haven't seen CW yet but based on what I've heard it was good and Spidey was a highlight.

I honestly like a lot of superhero movies here that everyone hates (IM2, Man of Steel, Avengers 1 and 2, ASM 1 and 2) so take that for what it's worth.

EDIT: drat. I didn't realize how many people disliked Batman Begins. I think it's my favorite movie of the three overall and I enjoy all of them.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 4, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BiggerBoat posted:

Co-sign. I enjoyed both ASM movies more than the Raimi films, but I like them all really except one. The only Spiderman movie I actively disliked was SM3, which I walked out on before it ended. I'd say we have 4 out of 5 rather decent depictions of Spiderman on the big screen. I haven't seen CW yet but based on what I've heard it was good and Spidey was a highlight.

I honestly like a lot of superhero movies here that everyone hates (IM2, Man of Steel, Avengers 1 and 2, ASM 1 and 2) so take that for what it's worth.

EDIT: drat. I didn't realize how many people disliked Batman Begins. I think it's my favorite movie of the three overall and I enjoy all of them.

CW has the best Spider-Man so far. You will enjoy that take.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Mr Hootington posted:

CW has the best Spider-Man so far. You will enjoy that take.

No, this is the best Spiderman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRL8wJPZKRc

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Correction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhHhXukovMU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Looks like Suicide Squad have surpassed the worldwide box office for Man of Steel while also costing less to make.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The other two had villains I absolutely did not care about or want to see. That's why Begins is my favorite.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Superman is straight up Hercules in the beginning of MoS and that shot with him holding that up is loving awesome.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I would love to see live action Clayface, Hugo Strange, or Man-Bat. poo poo, make Strange in charge of Arkham and those two and maybe some other rogues are experiments of his.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

BiggerBoat posted:

The only Spiderman movie I actively disliked was SM3, which I walked out on before it ended.

Goddamn man, SM3 has its problems but that seems like a bit much. Out of curiosity, which moment did you finally decide you were done?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Goddamn man, SM3 has its problems but that seems like a bit much. Out of curiosity, which moment did you finally decide you were done?

I'm going to guess the precocious kid ripping off JJJ.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

greatn posted:

I'm going to guess the precocious kid ripping off JJJ.

If we're guessing I will guess the dance scene. For the record, when I first saw that scene, I thought it was hilarious (in a good way). I was really surprised to hear people disliked it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

If we're guessing I will guess the dance scene. For the record, when I first saw that scene, I thought it was hilarious (in a good way). I was really surprised to hear people disliked it.

MY SPIDER-MAN would never dance. He'd just quip.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love that someone pointed out the music in that scene is nondiagetic so Peter Parker is dancing to silence.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Drifter posted:

MY SPIDER-MAN would never dance. He'd just quip.

Wasn't that kind of the point though? The symbiote was affecting him!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Wasn't that kind of the point though? The symbiote was affecting him!

So you'll excuse him but not Batman, eh?!?!?!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Did Batman have a symbiote? This would actually explain a lot.

edit: Been looking up shots comparing his BvS look and his Justice League look and I dunno...

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The MSJ posted:

Looks like Suicide Squad have surpassed the worldwide box office for Man of Steel while also costing less to make.

Lol nope. Man of Steel cost around 60 million to make (due to so much licensing money)

• Locked thread