Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think it says they can't found a religion, just can't build holy site districts.

The only way to found a religion is to activate a Great Prophet on a holy site. You can also do it with Stonehenge but I assume they will close that loophole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Clarste posted:

Holy sites are a basic type of district. This means they can't build shrines or temples either.

But these just give faith, right? And faith is only used to buy yourself a religion and hire apostles (I am going by Civ 5 mechanics here), which Kongo gets sort for free. Basically what they lose is the choice of founder belief.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's unclear to me how you'd even get a Great Prophet without any faith/great person point generator buildings though.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Founder Beliefs posted:

Church Property: Gold +2 for each city following this Religion
Lay Ministry: Each Holy Site or Theater Square district in a city following this Religion provides +1 Faith or +1 Culture respectively
Papal Primacy: Type bonuses from City-States following your Religion 50% more powerful.
Pilgrimage: Faith +2 for every city following this Religion in other civilizations
Stewardship: Each Campus or Commercial Hub district in a city following this Religion provides +1 Science or +1 Gold respectively
Tithe: +1 Gold for every 4 followers of this Religion
World Church: Culture +1 for every 5 followers of this Religion in other civilizations
Defender of the Faith: Combat units gain +10 Combat Strength near friendly cities that follow this Religion
Holy Order: Missionaries and Apostles are 30% cheaper to Purchase
Itinerant Preachers: Religion spreads to cities 30% further away
Crusade: Combat units gain +10 Combat Strength near foreign cities that follow this Religion
Missionary Zeal: Religious units ignore movement costs of terrain and features
Monastic Isolation: Your Religion's pressure never drops due to losses in Theological Combat
Scripture: Religious spread from adjacent city pressure is 25% stronger. Boosted to 50% once Printing Press is researched
That would be all the possible benefits Mvemba a Nzinga can profit from. Whether he can found his own religion through Stonehenge or not, it looks like the weakest one for him is Lay Ministry.
He'll pretty much always have a Faith deficit compared to other civs (unless he can conquer other cities with Holy Sites already built), but he can still put up a strong religious play with the Apostles.
I'm interested in how Religious Victory can work for civs that don't found one; the language doesn't specify that you must found it, but does say "your religion"- do you need to control the Holy City? That'd make some sense; could be kind of funny to swoop in and snag their city right at the end after an AI does all the heavy lifting.

Clarste posted:

It's unclear to me how you'd even get a Great Prophet without any faith/great person point generator buildings though.
Stonehenge provides a free Great Prophet upon completion.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I realized what it is that has been bugging me about the way the game looks. It's not the mobile app graphics or anything like that.

The cities and map just don't look organic. It looks really weird. They are supposed to grow with time, but they look oddly disconnected, and just strange. Like you have this massive city. Then a hex over, you have a bunch of small buildings. But they don't really flow into the large city hex. Then another hex, you have some large wonderish building standing alone.

It just looks all strangely fragmented and out of scale. I actually don't mind the graphics, but the way things are spaced and sized looks really bad to me.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Seeing as there's now a Religious Victory, it's kind of strange there's a faction who straight-up can't get it. Though, from what I've heard the religious victory is hard as hell anyway.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I need a supercut of the all the trailer lady's final questions

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Another video on Kongo, this one's a quick interview with PC Gamer.

Specifically, it's mentioned that Kongo's ability gives them fully double Great Artist and Great Merchant points per turn. Nzinga's Agenda is that he wants you to spread your Religion to his cities.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Whoops, wrong thread

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Krazyface posted:

Seeing as there's now a Religious Victory, it's kind of strange there's a faction who straight-up can't get it. Though, from what I've heard the religious victory is hard as hell anyway.

Maybe Nzinga just needs to capture the city where his religion was founded. It seems like he'll be able to add his own enhancer beliefs easily, if my understanding of Apostles is correct.

I'm overall more concerned about how he can secure a favourable Pantheon, especially if he doesn't start near any Faith city-states.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Whether Kongo can attain religious victory depends on whether what will matter for the victory condition is your faith output, or how far your religion has spread. It seems to me that once Kongo assumes a majority religion then for at least SOME intents and purposes it functions as if it was founded there, and they can still spread it further with apostles from culture districts. They can do these things without a single faith point produced.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I hope the Religious victory will involve the second coming of [name of ancient prophet expended on holy site] in a Day of Judgement.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Countdown to dumb nerds making a mod that renames him Bazinga.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Idk, I think that's just you buddy

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't think it says they can't found a religion, just can't build holy site districts.

I forget is Holy Sites are needed to found a religion in 6 or if they've said anything about it yet.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Rexides posted:

There are Civ gameplay elements that have traditionally depended on hidden info, like wonder building or an entire stack of macemen showing up to gently caress up your poo poo, which can benefit from a well designed spy system.

Neither Civ V not Civ IV had well designed spying systems.

e:

I would love to see a city building game that plays out like civ. You start out basically playing Caesar and end up eventually in Sim City.

this is an idea i've been enamored with for ages now, something like a city-state simulator where early on you also have to keep in mind defenses and military and incursions in your region. Lots of different district types - you'd possibly also zone military barracks and armories, temple/church areas, maybe even stuff like fisheries. Maybe early game when stuff gets outdated you're heavily incentivized to scrap it and build more useful things on it but later on your old useless buildings become very valuable from a tourism perspective. I sort of like the dilemma of 'gosh I could really use a metalworking district right where this stupid Parthenon is eating up space'.

On an entirely unrelated front, people who know Oxford better than I do - what specifically is the building that is meant to be represented in VI's little wonder model? The university is sprawling and I don't see any immediate obvious matches to me. I ask because I'm starting up the Google Earth mapping out of stuff in VI like I did with V, and for Wonders I like to find the exact thing depicted and get a nice cinematic shot of it. I think it's the Radcliffe Camera but I'm not totally sure? The 3D models for Oxford suck. I'm silly enough about this that I even made sure my marker for the Kremlin was actually on St. Basil's Cathedral (but the Kremlin itself is dominating the actual view you get).

Of course obviously for V I couldn't get a lot of them very pleasant - most strikingly the Porcelain Tower, which is now 'a large number of boring apartment blocks'. At least for Huey Teocali there's a nice-looking place where it used to be but still. Then there's stuff like the Hanging Gardens which might not have existed and have nothing similar in the area so right now it's just overlooking some open hill somewhere.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

SlyFrog posted:

I realized what it is that has been bugging me about the way the game looks. It's not the mobile app graphics or anything like that.

The cities and map just don't look organic. It looks really weird. They are supposed to grow with time, but they look oddly disconnected, and just strange. Like you have this massive city. Then a hex over, you have a bunch of small buildings. But they don't really flow into the large city hex. Then another hex, you have some large wonderish building standing alone.

It just looks all strangely fragmented and out of scale. I actually don't mind the graphics, but the way things are spaced and sized looks really bad to me.

I think I see it the same way. Ideally each tile's thing would take up more space so cities look a little more crowded later on, but I think even something as simple as lots of minor buildings filling up the space between non-farm districts would go a long way to achieving the desired effect.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Xelkelvos posted:

I forget is Holy Sites are needed to found a religion in 6 or if they've said anything about it yet.

Assuming it works like in Civ5, you need to build faith-producing buildings to get a Great Prophet to found a religion. Faith-producing buildings need to be built in the holy district, unless they're wonders.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Xelkelvos posted:

They are, at least normally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRSbI8NANno

At around 8:40 is when they get into the Great Prophet stuff, and 9:40 is when they send their Great Prophet (Confucius) over to their Holy Site to found their religion.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Assuming it works like in Civ5, you need to build faith-producing buildings to get a Great Prophet to found a religion. Faith-producing buildings need to be built in the holy district, unless they're wonders.

Technically it's also possible to get a faith-generating relic from exploring a village/goody hut, which I've seen about twice (Yogscast found a skull and I saw another playthrough where someone found some sort of sacred rock but I don't remember which one that was). Those generate something like 4 faith per turn early on. Getting them that early on in the game means that your neighbors won't stop trying to buy them off of you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It really feels like Civ 5 (with xpacs) is the furthest they can go in a linear gameplay progression, I don't see much room for improvement, so I kinda hope this one decides to innovate laterally.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

precision posted:

It really feels like Civ 5 (with xpacs) is the furthest they can go in a linear gameplay progression, I don't see much room for improvement, so I kinda hope this one decides to innovate laterally.

Some of their decisions are pretty radical lateral deviations. Unstacked cities as an example.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The other options for getting faith in Civ5 are:

Natural wonders
Goody huts
Friendship/alliance with city states
Terrain/resource bonuses from pantheon

I've many times managed to place in the religion race without building anything that generates faith (at least not until after popping my first great prophet). Get lucky with a goody hut or a city state quest early on; grab Desert Folklore or Stone Circles or something appropriate to what you've got...

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Gyra_Solune posted:

I think I see it the same way. Ideally each tile's thing would take up more space so cities look a little more crowded later on, but I think even something as simple as lots of minor buildings filling up the space between non-farm districts would go a long way to achieving the desired effect.

Yeah, the visual element that Civ 5 had where cities would sprawl out as the population rose and creep over the edges of their tile would be perfect for filling the gaps between the districts in this game.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but any word on Mad Djinn doing a stream of the game with Firaxis, and a developer staring in horror as he breaks the game again? :allears:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
That anecdote is turning into the Games equivalent of the "then everyone in the theatre stood up and clapped" story.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Krazyface posted:

That anecdote is turning into the Games equivalent of the "then everyone in the theatre stood up and clapped" story.

Have you not seen the video? It's pretty good - the guy's face wasn't that dramatic but I think it was a clear early warning.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beamed posted:

Apologies if this has been asked before, but any word on Mad Djinn doing a stream of the game with Firaxis, and a developer staring in horror as he breaks the game again? :allears:

He was in the livestream chat teasing them about being inefficient with their actions, but idk if we've seen him play directly yet.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
What video/game is this?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

webmeister posted:

What video/game is this?

Civilization: Beyond Earth. There was a particular moment in the previews where MadDjinn took one of the abilities and started ruthlessly exploiting it. It made aliens never attack your "scout" units, and obviously intended to allow you to get more scouting done. Instead he started using them it to cover civilians and block aggressive aliens. As soon as he did this the dev sitting next to him got visibly uncomfortable.

I believe it was from sometime in this stream, but I could be wrong.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
2K China says the next civ reveal should be Wednesday, and "not" a Middle Eastern civ, apparently?
(Should be Wednesday morning/afternoon for US/Europe, if it's at the usual hours.)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
if firaxis taught me anything from its last few games

im waiting until it patches and comes out with more dlcs

as far as im concerned, Civ VI isn't being released until 2018

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Lastgirl posted:

That's what I've said every time since Civ 3. I have yet to put it into practice. This time for sure...

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

A fresh and edgey opinion

Hogama posted:

2K China says the next civ reveal should be Wednesday, and "not" a Middle Eastern civ, apparently?
(Should be Wednesday morning/afternoon for US/Europe, if it's at the usual hours.)

Should be Russia, Rome or Greece then?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Could also be Norway!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Could also be Norway!
Ah, right

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Lastgirl posted:

Ok. See you then.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Hogama posted:

It's probably Russia, we've seen Peter the Great's picture in a screenshot.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hogama posted:

Non-toxx calling it now: Greece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

Hmm yes games are always better when they are improved upon. You don't want to run the risk of playing a game that could be theoretically better in some way.

Civ 5 was fun on launch despite its problems. It's better and still fun now and still has problems. Just buy the games you want and enjoy them for what they are, I say.