Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Q_res posted:

The funny thing about Threshold is just how solid the string of episodes immediately after it are.

You weren't kidding. I forgot how good Meld is. What an inexplicably great episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm on season two of TOS now, and I hate Chekov. He is The Worst.

Yeah, the movies saved his character, but he was introduced to play the young, heart-throbby mop topped Davey Jones type, because someone (Gene?) thought that would help the show appeal to a younger audience. Then they went ahead and gave him that goofy as gently caress accent and a bunch of jokes about being an over-proud Russian. He's fine when he's doing bridge poo poo or getting shot on away missions, but when they have him fawning over some young woman, freaking out over the crisis of the week, or playing pure comic relief, it can be just awful. Half his episodes were in the turd season though, so that probably didn't help.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

8one6 posted:

If she's wearing the weird coat with the pocket full of useless looking tools then yes.

I love how giant coats are TV's solution to non-plot pregnancy, as with Dr crusher on TNG and those few episodes of x files

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Duckbag posted:

Yeah, the movies saved his character, but he was introduced to play the young, heart-throbby mop topped Davey Jones type, because someone (Gene?) thought that would help the show appeal to a younger audience. Then they went ahead and gave him that goofy as gently caress accent and a bunch of jokes about being an over-proud Russian. He's fine when he's doing bridge poo poo or getting shot on away missions, but when they have him fawning over some young woman, freaking out over the crisis of the week, or playing pure comic relief, it can be just awful. Half his episodes were in the turd season though, so that probably didn't help.

Yeah, I'm fine with him in the movies, but, Christ, he's worse than Wesley in season two.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, I'm fine with him in the movies, but, Christ, he's worse than Wesley in season two.

It really does help that the show is rarely made to revolve around him like it is Wesley.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Just came back from the Star Trek Mission in New York and got some exclusive code swag for Star Trek Online. It's holo bridge officers from TOS.

XROAMI02
XsD92apd
XsG1cYrc

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Claimed the third one. Thanks, that's really awesome :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Friend is going to a con in England. Told him to tell Armin Shimmerman that he's the real star of DS9, and Dominic Keating that his show is hugely underrated and deserved better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I like Chekov in TOS. :shrug:

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I wasn't expecting much from his Q&A today, but he turned out to be pretty funny.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, I found his shtick reasonably entertaining and not overbearing.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Dario the Wop posted:

Indeed!

BTW Sarcastic Native American Guy is actually a woman. Her name is Spring Rain on Still Water. Do what you will with this info. :)

I know what I'm doing--shipping her with Sulu's stunt double! :quagmire:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Yeah, no doubt. Part of it is that the Futurama joke that, after Star Trek, Walter Koenig became an actor rings sadly true. Checkov is a pretty thin part anyway (though arguably not as thin as Sulu or Uhura), but Koenig's performance (or perhaps the way he was directed) doesn't do it many favors either. He's good in some scenes and generally fine when he doesn't have to do serious emoting, but a lot of the time his performance is cheesy as hell with almost Shatner-level scenery chewing, but not the skill or gravitas to really carry it off.

The whole "heart throb" angle never really worked either because Koenig was pretty good at doing lovable goofiness and high-strung intensity, but the romance scenes got really weird when they had him try to split the difference. Also, if they really were invested in him being the nonthreatening teddy bear type, maybe they shouldn't have had him go scary crazy every time the space madness hits. It's pretty hard to think of him as this lovable goofball after you've seem him try to rape a woman in Day of the Dove.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

It's pretty hard to think of him as this lovable goofball after you've seem him try to rape a woman in Day of the Dove.

60s James Bond did that all the time and he was a sex symbol. It was a weird era.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Well, Bond had the advantage of a killer (though sometimes hilariously of-its-time) wardrobe and the fact that he was played by various handsome leading man types (and Roger Moore), but I still wonder if the women of the era found his character quite as appealing as the men did.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Regardless of if female audiences were actually into fictional heroes like that or not, it doesn't strike me as abnormal or unique to Chekov enough to count as "here's where they went wrong with Chekov". Hell, Evil Kirk did some rapin too(and the girl was all crying and poo poo about how she didn't want to report it :stonk:)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
How has it taken me over 15 years to realize Kira got braids when she had her hair redone for Season 7?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Regardless of if female audiences were actually into fictional heroes like that or not, it doesn't strike me as abnormal or unique to Chekov enough to count as "here's where they went wrong with Chekov". Hell, Evil Kirk did some rapin too(and the girl was all crying and poo poo about how she didn't want to report it :stonk:)

Well yeah, Kirk has some creepy moments, but evil Kirk was at least, you know, evil Kirk. In Day of the Dove, everyone's being affected by the same hateful energy being, but the others are just angry and want to fight. It's only Checkov who turns into a straight up rape monster, which suggests there's something pretty dark lurking beneath his goofy exterior. It's also a fairly consistent thing that when the crew goes crazy, Checkov goes craaaazy.

And I'm not saying that's "what's wrong with Checkov" because I actually like a lot of the darkness and intensity Koenig brings to the character, it's just that it doesn't fit at all with his original conception as a charming young Davey Jones/Beatles type for the teenage girls to swoon over. Of course, if the writers hadn't been willing to take Checkov into darker places, we never would have gotten his fantastic character arc in Wrath of Khan, so it all worked out eventually.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Zaroff posted:

How has it taken me over 15 years to realize Kira got braids when she had her hair redone for Season 7?

First time viewing it on a non-SD TV, perhaps? :v:

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Watched Beyond last night and it was p. good.

Spock showed a bit too much emotion though.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least, in "Day of the Dove," when Chekov tries to make out with that woman, he still has his hand over her mouth.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Acer Pilot posted:

Watched Beyond last night and it was p. good.

Spock showed a bit too much emotion though.
Spock is kind of a hot mess in these things, though I guess he has had to deal with more poo poo than his original universe self did. Also, of course, he doesn't have space cigarettes.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I still think he was miscast. Quinto is doing a fine job in his own way, but he doesn't have that Nimoy gravitas and always seems like he's choking back emotion even when he's not supposed to be. He has this sort of lost little boy look on his face a lot of the time that makes his "emotionlessness" seem more reminiscent of everyone's favorite autistic robot than the proud stoicism of the "real" Spock. I really don't like the Uhura relationship in particular because he's got this completely goony "oh god how do I girlfriend" thing going on that's just awful. Nimoy's Spock was always either completely aloof around women or wildly passionate toward them. Nu-Spock is just sort of tentative and angsty about the relationship (and everything else) in a way that's not half as interesting. Plus his teeth and skin are too good.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Pakled posted:

It was that obvious? :)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Duckbag posted:

I still think he was miscast. Quinto is doing a fine job in his own way, but he doesn't have that Nimoy gravitas and always seems like he's choking back emotion even when he's not supposed to be. He has this sort of lost little boy look on his face a lot of the time that makes his "emotionlessness" seem more reminiscent of everyone's favorite autistic robot than the proud stoicism of the "real" Spock. I really don't like the Uhura relationship in particular because he's got this completely goony "oh god how do I girlfriend" thing going on that's just awful. Nimoy's Spock was always either completely aloof around women or wildly passionate toward them. Nu-Spock is just sort of tentative and angsty about the relationship (and everything else) in a way that's not half as interesting. Plus his teeth and skin are too good.

Well, he is/was a teenager and had a wildly different life from then on. It makes sense to me in the lens of the first reboot movie, at least.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pakled posted:

I only just recently noticed that betazoids are supposed to have pitch black irises, for that exact reason.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I want hd remastered ds9 please

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Baronjutter posted:

I want hd remastered ds9 please

Pay CBS millions of dollars.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

Pay CBS millions of dollars.

I'll pay them some dollars.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I'll pay them some dollars.

American?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

American?

Dollarpounds.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So I've got some (lots) spare time, I think I might try B5. I found a "what to watch" list but I'm not sure if I should use it or make myself sit through the whole series. Is there a B5 thread I should post to?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
How tolerant of lovely episodes are you? The thing about B5 is even 'Grey 17 Is Missing' and 'TKO', the 2 episodes you should skip if you skip any, have little nuggets of foreshadowing or good character moments.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Don't ever skip an episode. In fact, pipe them all into an oculus set and pop into a sendep tank for the next week.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Also definitely watch The Gathering pilot. It's really rough, but I like how it sets some things up, it has one of my favorite lines, and it makes s1 look really good in comparison.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Whoops, double post, see below.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 5, 2016

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Come and join us. GBS too.

Also, don't skip anything. Especially if you've got the time and you've never seen it. Don't just be a good little drone and follow the conventional wisdom; form your own opinions and talk about them interestingly.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Q_res posted:

How tolerant of lovely episodes are you? The thing about B5 is even 'Grey 17 Is Missing' and 'TKO', the 2 episodes you should skip if you skip any, have little nuggets of foreshadowing or good character moments.

B5 has a weird thing where the A plot has to be about the human characters, even if the aliens are doing something more significant to the series arc, so you get a lot of stupid "Crisis of the Week" ones where important poo poo still happens. Grey 17 in particular has some significant events that take up less screen time than the security chief getting stuck between floors with Freddy Krueger.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I'm also mad at them for wasting Brad Dourif on the 10,000th serial killer of his career when he would have been a fantastic Minbari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

WickedHate posted:

Well, he is/was a teenager and had a wildly different life from then on. It makes sense to me in the lens of the first reboot movie, at least.

You're not wrong, but neither is Duckbag.