Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
JL3K did meander a lot in the end, and I don't even know if they finished the final story arc, but it's Superman was hilariously awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It ended mid-battle, warping two characters to the present and having Larfleeze complaining about being in another cancelled comic.

e: Don't go into JL3K looking for the Superbuddies, BTW. The spirit is there in new characters, but the actual JLIers and the history don't get revealed for for a good while, and then they're relatively minor parts.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Sep 5, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Teenage Fansub posted:

It even ignores everything since ICBINTJL.

What on Earth is ICBINTJL? Infinite Crisis.....Battle in Night....The Justice League?

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

SonicRulez posted:

What on Earth is ICBINTJL? Infinite Crisis.....Battle in Night....The Justice League?

I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League.

Edit: drat it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm proud I managed to get as many right as I did. That's a hilariously silly title.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SonicRulez posted:

I'm proud I managed to get as many right as I did. That's a hilariously silly title.

of a good book. read it if you hadn't. Makes infinite crisis more depressing in some ways.

I do say Ted Kord did have a top 5 best comic book death still.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

another thought. some of the best Justice League books have been more focused on "minor" heroes with the trinity in the background. it is a shame that DC is absolutely terrible and their fanbase is absolutely terrible for the most part.

edit: i'm talking satelite era, JLI, and Morrison (which was big 7 but had a bunch of add ons that had some focus)

This is why the avengers are typically a better big team book over JLA.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

United was a pretty good B-teir squad comic. Too bad Parker's run didn't last (apart from getting it's conceit transferred to the Johnny Quest book.)

Waid's ANAD Avengers has been a pretty big bummer for me. I'd say I enjoyed Johns' post-FE JL a whole lot more, and I'm betting I'll like Orlando's comic over the Shattered NOW! version too.

e: He's been name dropping Morrison's JLA and posting moments from that comic, so you might be okay with what JLA ends up being.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

This is why the avengers are typically a better big team book over JLA.

This may be off topic, but it's something I've wondered for years.

I only loosely read few Marvel books, but never got into any Avengers. I've seen so many Avengers titles over the years with all sorts of casts, which is neat. However, outside of the classic original series, I've always had this weird assumption that no other Avengers team is able to last more than six months. Do I have an accurate assumption or not?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Avengers' own trinity(Cap, Iron Man, and Thor) were so far below the JLA Trinity in overall popularity it's barely a comparison, so it was always less weird that the Avengers seemed to be made up of everybody of the nobodies. When a dumbass unknown came onto the JLA, it was more notable. God, the Detroit era sucked.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

This may be off topic, but it's something I've wondered for years.

I only loosely read few Marvel books, but never got into any Avengers. I've seen so many Avengers titles over the years with all sorts of casts, which is neat. However, outside of the classic original series, I've always had this weird assumption that no other Avengers team is able to last more than six months. Do I have an accurate assumption or not?

the avengers team not lasting more than six months is a modern thing. the old teams lasted a long time with certain core members and rotating members depending on the story.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To be fair, it sometimes feels like there's barely any modern teams that can keep a consistent roster for more than six issues.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

To be fair, it sometimes feels like there's barely any modern teams that can keep a consistent roster for more than six issues.

those quarterly event shakeups are a mess

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think the small core group plus a shifting whoever's available/suited for the job is absolutely the best way to go for either team.

e: Detective No. 27, read Hickman's dual Avengers comics and Secret Wars. It's one big ol' multi-year story about universes blowing up.

ee:
https://twitter.com/DocShaner/status/771151865580888064

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 5, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think the small core group plus a shifting whoever's available/suited for the job is absolutely the best way to go for either team.
One or two JLU episodes work like this.

"Superman, GL and Wonder Woman are dealing with the insectoid invasion of Space Sector G-11Q, and Batman is meditating in Nanda Parbat, who on the reserves is available?"

Justice League Strike Force is a good way to tell smaller scale stories, but then that gets in the way of Countdown to QwardWar, a QuardQworld tie in: Chapter 0 event bullshit.
I suppose you could do X-Men Gold/Blue teams but... Ehhhhhh

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Starfire and Beast Boy look a bit off to me in that variant.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.comixology.com/Intro-to-Young-Animals-Sale/page/11917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw&list12883_pg=1
Morrison's Doom Patrol, Milligan's Shade
Plus a few issues of Resurrection Man and the War of The Gods miniseries. Did Cave Carson feature in those or something?

Guess it's time to start a Young Animal/new Vertigo thread. On it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What's the popular opinion 'round these parts concerning Morrison's Doom Patrol? I want to know anything before I say anything about my recent attempt to read it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's a beautiful, hilarious, creepy, surreal proto-Vertigo superhero comic with great weirdo characters.
The team existed for decades before GMo got on (#19 of this series is his first issue) but you don't need to read anything else. The past incarnations are recapped along the way.

I just barged through most of the omnibus in the last two days in prep for the new comic and it was a fine 'ol time.

e: I had no idea Beast Boy originated in the Doom Patrol till today. I think Way's said he's working with everything, so hopefully there's a cute flashback or reference, if N52 Beast Boy hasn't acknowledged it already.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Sep 6, 2016

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The original series of Doom Patrol is awesome by the way.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Detective No. 27, read Hickman's dual Avengers comics and Secret Wars. It's one big ol' multi-year story about universes blowing up.

I'm slowly working my way through the last 8 years of Spider-Man, but I'll get to Secret Wars.

What exactly is the idea behind the Young Animal imprint?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

What exactly is the idea behind the Young Animal imprint?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgx-I-LTGc
I remember that was posted (e: along with a ton of interviews mentioning her) just days before Shelly Bond was fired. Oops.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 6, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember liking Umbrella Academy well enough back in the day, but giving Gerard Way an entire imprint of his own? Odd. I'll wait for impressions.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember liking Umbrella Academy well enough back in the day, but giving Gerard Way an entire imprint of his own? Odd. I'll wait for impressions.

It should be noted, he's only writing DP and co-writing Cave Carson. The other writers aren't big names yet, but Tom Scioli (American Barbarian, Transformers Vs GI Joe) is doing his crazy thing on backups.

E: Young Animal/Vertigo thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3789182

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Sep 6, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sold on Scioli.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
I will like Priests start on Deathstroke if I enjoyed _______________?

I really dug Bunns run on Magneto, for what its worth.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

Y'all know that JL3k was a literal JLI sequel, right?
It even ignores everything since ICBINTJL.

Orlando, Williamson and the editors have been all "Wait till you guys see the roster. You'll poo poo!" in the last few days.
I'm expecting something interesting.
He did like my tweet about including Prez Corndog Girl :)

Its probably going to be a mix of Super Heroes and villains (probably ex-suicide squad mainstays) similar to Geoff's Justice League of America or Geoff's later JL run where he had Captain Cold and Lex on the team for whatever reason.

I'll be shocked if its an actual mix of A, B, C, and D-tier heroes like the great Justice League runs I grew up with in the 80s and 90s. Nothing short of having characters like Booster Gold, Bloodwynd, Agent Liberty, Fire, Steel, Plastic Man, Huntress, Blue Beetle, etc. will shock me. Throwing Captain Boomerang, Harley Quinn and Deadshot on the team ain't gonna do poo poo.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 7, 2016

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Intro-to-Young-Animals-Sale/page/11917?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw&list12883_pg=1
Morrison's Doom Patrol, Milligan's Shade
Plus a few issues of Resurrection Man and the War of The Gods miniseries. Did Cave Carson feature in those or something?

Guess it's time to start a Young Animal/new Vertigo thread. On it.

Who the heck are those characters in the sale ad? Looks like some pulp characters from the 30s or something

Edit: Oh apparently its from series that came out fairly recently called "The War that time forgot" WTF

Veg posted:

I will like Priests start on Deathstroke if I enjoyed _______________?

I really dug Bunns run on Magneto, for what its worth.

Read Deathstroke if you enjoyed Priest's 90s Black Panther run. Which I guarantee you is better than 95% of the comics you've read in your lifetime.

Alucard Nacirema fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 7, 2016

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Man, for a hot second I thought that meant DC bought out the Japanese publisher of Berserk and was trying to figure out if that meant we'd get see Batman vs Femto/Griffith, Guts with a giant sword made of kryptonite.. and now I'm sad I'll never get to see what a mess of a crossover event that would be.

Edit: also Miura doing crazy detailed 4 page spreads of the Justice League that take 3 months to get released 😂😂

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 7, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Superman punched the bad guy so hard a doggo fell out! :neckbeard:

I also enjoyed Supergirl. Kara being the survivor who remembers Krypton is a good way to differentiate her from Clark and the issue leaned into that heavily.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

LASER DOG

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So they've done Doomsday and Eradicator in rapid fashion, Jon is Superboy, and Lex is Steel. Where is the cyborg Superman to complete the set?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

greatn posted:

So they've done Doomsday and Eradicator in rapid fashion, Jon is Superboy, and Lex is Steel. Where is the cyborg Superman to complete the set?

In Supergirl.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003

graybook posted:

Double Suicide Squad. They committed suicide when they were living and were recruited to run the darkest ops missions to protect Heaven itself from threats in the afterlife, with Saint Peter sending them on missions God Himself can't know about!!!

I would unironically read this

Ferret
Oct 9, 2003
also, can we circle back around to Teen Titans and de-aging of characters?

In RHatO, Starfire was presented as equivalent mid-20s, having hotel-room-shattering sex with Jason and then Roy.

In TT, she looks like she's significantly younger - did her solo series somehow de-age her, or were Jason and Roy having sex with a child? :-/

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Her race is born as an old woman and gets younger every time they bang.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ferret posted:

In RHatO, Starfire was presented as equivalent mid-20s, having hotel-room-shattering sex with Jason and then Roy.

In TT, she looks like she's significantly younger - did her solo series somehow de-age her, or were Jason and Roy having sex with a child? :-/

Look man, DC's continuity/timeline has been beyond hosed for ages. They also just retconned younger Wally into being Daniel's kid, which would mean Daniel was like 10 years old when he sired a son, long before he ever even had all the bad poo poo happen to him.

These Teen Titans are going to be the most hosed up mess from retcons. It's going to be a team of Donnas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Ferret posted:

I haven't read it but someone before said she is still an adult and taking on a more advisory role for the teen titans?