Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

electricHyena
Sep 12, 2005

oh no not again

flosofl posted:

I've only seem them used for drafting. They use 2mm leads and you still need to sharpen them, usually with a strip of sandpaper. They do make the leads in different hardness, so I suppose they could be used for traditional pencil drawings.

Yes they can. I do photorealistic drawings and I primarily use a mechanical pencil. I've literally never used a knife to sharpen a traditional pencil -- a cheapo tiny metal manual sharpener can get an amazingly sharp point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

tacodaemon posted:

Sapporo Ichiban Kitsune Udon is my instant-ramen pick

Where do you get that? My main source is http://www.tokyocentral.com/p-550-toyo-maruchan-cup-noodle-akai-kitsune-udon-34oz.aspx but I want to try that one.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

electricHyena posted:

Yes they can. I do photorealistic drawings and I primarily use a mechanical pencil. I've literally never used a knife to sharpen a traditional pencil -- a cheapo tiny metal manual sharpener can get an amazingly sharp point.

:hfive:

I still have a collection of drawing pencils from high school but my favourite has always been a fat mechanical pencil with the clicker on the side that I've had for over 8 years. I used it for a lot of photorealistic drawings. :3: I do most sketches with it, too.

And I like the small sharpeners, they usually work well. I like the ones that make a shorter cut portion and a smaller tip.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

In elementary school pencil sharpeners were banned because people kept taking the blades out and making shanks, so we had to lifehack and sharpen pencils against the concrete during recess.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

In elementary school pencil sharpeners were banned because people kept taking the blades out and making shanks, so we had to lifehack and sharpen pencils against the concrete during recess.

If you want to make a real loving shank you take a Pringles can, bend the bottom in half and boom. Two razor sharp pieces of metal with nice rounded handles. I used to do that at lunch all the time just because I could and honestly I should have gotten suspended or expelled for that :v: One of my friends didn't believe how sharp they actually were and sliced his finger wide the gently caress open on it one time too.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

:stare:

Normally it's the shanks that are sharpened against the concrete, not the pencils.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In my elementary cigarettes were banned so we had to make do with rolled up paper tubes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well apart from the pupils who had shanks.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

We didn't have much use for shanks because, you know, knives had already been invented.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
We didn't have much use for shanks because, you know, why the gently caress are you shanking people in elementary school?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Maybe it's a regional thing? We made shanks in my highschool, because it was the only way to get weapons past the dogs / metal detectors. (The dogs were for drugs though.)

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Why did you need weapons?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

twoday posted:

Why did you need weapons?

To fend off the dogs? Who knows what goes on in third-world countries :shrug:

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

Croccers posted:

We didn't have much use for shanks because, you know, why the gently caress are you shanking people in elementary school?

Well, itīs shank or be shanked.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

om nom nom posted:

Man, when I was working in Yellowstone I had a guy working for me from China, he had brought a case of some chili garlic paste with like little bits of crispy bacon in it, and have me a jar. It was super spicy and flavorful. Holy poo poo, that was the best thing I've ever had. But he didn't speak English very well, and all of the characters on the bottle were Chinese. So I have no idea what it was and will likely never find it again. I was so sad when I finished the bottle off.

Post a picture of the container if you have one and I can hook you up.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
In Florida we made shanks in middle school as personal protection if you need further evidence against Florida or anything

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Our elementary school teachers already figured out that we were doing shanks out of pringles' bottoms so we made shanks out of pen springs bound together. Once you got past the dogs, the metal detectors, the barbed wire and the death strip - shanking a random guy at the right time was the only way to lure the class captains out of their watchtowers.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol, just lol at you poors and your shanks.

My grandfather gave me a real knife when I was 8.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Karate Bastard posted:

GIFts from the GIF thread! :haw:

Ak Gara posted:

I had a great idea the other week. You know how when you take a bite of a burger+cheese in a bun, and you end up biting more from the bottom than the top or the whole thing starts sliding apart with each bite?

Each bite, flip the whole thing over! Now it'll be even! :derp:

I've seen this recommended before, but it was to keep one bun from getting too soggy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Did you not have one of these screwed into the wall by the door??

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lol if Enrique doesn't shank your fellow schoolchildren for you.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paladinus posted:

Lol, just lol at you poors and your shanks.

My grandfather gave me a real knife when I was 8.

How precious, what are you, 40? No way you'd get a real knife past the metal detectors today.

So unless grandfather was Solid Snake and gave you a carbon-fiber combat knife, that's not seeing the inside of a school.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Lol if you live somewhere where schools install metal detectors.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DekeThornton posted:

Lol if you live somewhere where schools install metal detectors.

They need to, what with the constant shankings.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know we're joking, but seriously, it was mostly just to protect yourself and not get robbed in between classes.

E: It's fairly common in Los Angeles, where I grew up at least.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Lol if Enrique doesn't shank your fellow schoolchildren for you.

he did until i ran out of money and then he shanked me

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Post a picture of the container if you have one and I can hook you up.

I appreciate it, but this is going on 5 years, and 4 moves ago. Unfortunately the container didn't make it. It is but a fond memory at this point.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

My friend, a martial arts teacher, gave his son a small folding knife for his first birthday. The kid couldn't get it open until he was three, cut himself once but not badly (because how much damage can you do to yourself when you're three?) and now the kid is 12 and pretty responsible with weapons.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Poldarn posted:

My friend, a martial arts teacher, gave his son a small folding knife for his first birthday. The kid couldn't get it open until he was three, cut himself once but not badly (because how much damage can you do to yourself when you're three?) and now the kid is 12 and pretty responsible with weapons.

he could also have killed himself which i guess would also instill care with weapons in a different way

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Poldarn posted:

(because how much damage can you do to yourself when you're three?)

Plenty, if you have a loving knife?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

om nom nom posted:

I appreciate it, but this is going on 5 years, and 4 moves ago. Unfortunately the container didn't make it. It is but a fond memory at this point.

Could you sketch out an artist's rendition of the container?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah, it's not hard to inflict a fatal injury on yourself with a large enough knife, and if you're THREE a large enough knife becomes 'anything sharper than a baby spoon'. Especially since very small children have almost no sense of self preservation or ability to gauge danger, since those are learned behaviors.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

It was a penknife about the size of a childs pinkie.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That kid was incredibly inept at the one task every kid seems to have. The job of a parent at that age is basically 24/7 suicide watch.

Also, a pen knife isn't small for a body that physical size, and there are plenty of arteries that are unprotected and easy to hit on accident

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

The kid was definitely under supervision.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Polyseme posted:

Making a disposable single-use item useable again with minimal effort? Yeah, I'd do that. I already toss plastic forks and terrible chopsticks in the dishwasher if there's space. Needs to involve more melting plastic to be a proper lifehack, I'd say.

If you eat enough Chinese/Japanese/Korean food that you're keeping chopsticks, just go to your nearest Chinatown and/or Asian grocery store and buy some of those melamine ones they have in the nicer Chinese restaurants. Those you actually CAN throw in the dishwasher, no problem.

Of course I had a lot more before my brother broke several pairs. :mad:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Isn't melamine toxic?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got stainless steel chopsticks but they have a terrible mouth feel so now I just use them to stir things.

Poldarn posted:

The kid was definitely under supervision.

lol

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Subjunctive posted:

Isn't melamine toxic?

If you eat it, yes. Typically you don't eat the disposable wood ones, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Eponine posted:

If you eat it, yes. Typically you don't eat the disposable wood ones, either.

Why waste free stuff?