Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

someone was trying to tell me that gamescom demo redeemed sc. was it actually impressive/real? i didn't see it.

it set a new high benchmark for videogame immersion and fidelity

edit: tax

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

did they pretend to play live?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

someone was trying to tell me that gamescom demo redeemed sc. was it actually impressive/real? i didn't see it.

People are going to be doing a "back, and to the left" analysis of the demo when it all goes to pot (and a few have already - though I don't have the links, but I'm hoping someone will provide them).

I can only imagine the scrambling that's going on from now until CitCon, to reassure backers like they're the board of shareholders in a public company. Or they'll stay the course and hope the faithful will keep buying in. There's a third option, but that's well-tread theorycrafting in this thread.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

They played "live" but it was all on rails and predefined. Here is a video to simulate the presentation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

vs reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8P2CZg3sJQ

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Real hurthling! posted:

It was played live and very pretty. It was also very apparent that if they did anything that deviated from script it would have broken. And it still was a demo with four players on a lan.

So of course :homebrew: redeemed.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 5, 2016

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Given the fact that every other demo and presentation they've ever had has been a total disaster filled with crashes and bugs it went pretty well. The main problem is that there's no way that they can deliver even a small portion of all the things they promised in the amount of time they've given themselves.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I am legit excited for CIG's Star Citizen. Can't wait for the retail release of Star Citizen. It's going to be amazing. Star Citizen.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

What was that? Star Citizen depends on Squadron 42 being a runaway success? But what if it isn't? OH..................

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Kind of disappointed in you Derek. You should have used that Humility quote as the new title.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Raskolnikov posted:

What was that? Star Citizen depends on Squadron 42 being a runaway success? But what if it isn't? OH..................

Uh, but how could it not be? My "friend" is a huge COD fan and he said that he was sick of the modern day setting and was really interested in Squadron 42. That's like 5 million sales right there and-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeF3UTkCoxY

oh.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I've figured it out. They knew they couldn't compete with COD/Mass Effect/Titanfall 2, so instead, they'll delay SQ42 until after those titles (plus all DLC) are released and old hat. Then SQ42 will swoop in like a majestic albatross into the now open market.
Brilliant really.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I love the idea that a company ran out and spent tens of millions of dollars on actors and motion capture, even coming back and doing reshoots, for a game where basic gameplay mechanics are not only unimplemented but still have yet to be defined.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ben Lesnick, Developer

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Chocobo posted:

I love the idea that a company ran out and spent tens of millions of dollars on actors and motion capture, even coming back and doing reshoots, for a game where basic gameplay mechanics are not only unimplemented but still have yet to be defined.

We just have to be patient Commando

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

trucutru posted:

It's supposed to be a plaza. Probably a shopping one because that's all there is to do in SC. Anyways, according to reddit that's not concept but *pre-concept* art, so yeah.

So it was made before they even had the idea to make it? Holy poo poo, these people are completely retarded.

Chris Ihao
Aug 20, 2016

Thats Professor Elemental, my dear Watson

Real hurthling! posted:

Well, they sure didnt let anyone else but their own guys "play" 3.0 at the event. Hmm... I wonder why.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Real hurthling! posted:

If you look at it as a very tightly scripted "don't dare step over the red line" type of presentation, it was OK; fairly nice visuals (that you'd kind of expect in Cry) but pathetic demonstration of game development (ie, fun).

If you look at it as a state of current gameplay capability by the end of this year.......

you're an idiot.

Needless to say the shitizens thought it was great.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

I've figured it out. They knew they couldn't compete with COD/Mass Effect/Titanfall 2, so instead, they'll delay SQ42 until after those titles (plus all DLC) are released and old hat. Then SQ42 will swoop in like a majestic albatross into the now open market.
Brilliant really.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't fit in to a degree. Problem is, there's a long lineup of contenders coming in the next couple years. CIG will be relegated to whatever leftovers spring for it on Steam Sales.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ripptide posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if that doesn't fit in to a degree. Problem is, there's a long lineup of contenders coming in the next couple years. CIG will be relegated to whatever leftovers spring for it on Steam Sales.
Plus there's the issue that any game relying on technical razzle-dazzle that gets delayed by years starts looking horribly aged against a new generation of games running on the next-gen engines.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The GamesCom presentation was a vertical slice that showed the concept of Star Citizen only 20 months after it was scheduled to be released. It did a good job of conveying the intent behind SC. Unfortunately the backers are interpreting it as a representation of progress and not merely the promise.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thanks. i was hoping there'd be like a smoking gun of unplugged keyboards or something proving its fake but that's cool too.

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

Bookmark the next three months!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I have a signed picture of Derek smart on my desk. It's framed and everything. I wish I actually got a good 8x10 glossy with his real signature on it but it works. It reminds me I once believed this was gonna be a real game and I was a sucker.

Thanks to Derek I got my refund though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

titaniumone posted:

Bookmark the next three months!

thanks anabelle

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

I saw this over at :reddit: and thought it was too good not to share.

https://gfycat.com/MarriedEasygoingAmericanbadger

Sparks are not effected by the voodoo of the "local physics grid", because why not.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

D_Smart posted:

My book will be out first.

I meant a documentary like Electric Boogalo, not the one they lied about making.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Viscous Soda posted:

Sparks are not effected by the voodoo of the "local physics grid", because why not.

lol

Cigstomper58
Aug 17, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It was a demo that was supposed to be a fetch quest. Theres no way that that could be in the game. So many mechanics/things in the game just plain dont make sense in the context of what star citizen is supposed to be.

If it was a SQ42 level itd be fine. But its supposed to Alpha 3.0. Its so goddamn tedious they better hope it isn't. It took em almost an hour to do it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The GamesCom presentation was a vertical slice that showed the concept of Star Citizen only 20 months after it was scheduled to be released. It did a good job of conveying the intent behind SC. Unfortunately the backers are interpreting it as a representation of progress and not merely the promise.

Looking at it over again now, the question remains the same. What IS Star Citizen? An FPS EVE Clone? ED wannabe?

If you're already buying endgame ships then whats the point of the credit grind?

My take, Star Citizen is the best virtual shopping experience, ever. 10/10.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

no_recall posted:

Looking at it over again now, the question remains the same. What IS Star Citizen? An FPS EVE Clone? ED wannabe?

If you're already buying endgame ships then whats the point of the credit grind?

My take, Star Citizen is the best virtual shopping experience, ever. 10/10.

there are like a hundred thousand better shopping videogames

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I.N.R.I posted:

This game looks like its starting to come together. Itll be nice if it turns out to be really good

Even though I had completely forgotten you I did call my parents yesterday. You have successfully infected me.

Viscous Soda posted:

I wonder what would happen if he jumped up and lost contact with the ship floor.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 5, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

there are like a hundred thousand better shopping videogames

please list some, this is my fetish.

I wish GTA 5 had more outfit save slots :(

edit: GTA 5 is insanely fun if you run missions with a friend entirely in the 1st person btw. It's like this living breathing FPU. (First Person Universe).

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 5, 2016

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

please list some, this is my fetish.
You can buy tons of clothes for your astronaut in The Sims 2 and EA were giving that away for free last year.

edit: couldn't fall through the floor though.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 5, 2016

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

remember only rockstar maybe can match Star Citizen

here is a picture of their FPU. All the cars, helicopters, and airplanes have a functional cockpit with accurate meters for speed altimeter etc.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

remember only rockstar maybe can match Star Citizen

here is a picture of their FPU. All the cars, helicopters, and airplanes have a functional cockpit with accurate meters for speed altimeter etc.

http://imgur.com/gallery/f8cXF

http://imgur.com/gallery/fItFt

Star Citizen will be more detailed, ofcourse

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Cigstomper58 posted:

If it was a SQ42 level itd be fine. But its supposed to Alpha 3.0. Its so goddamn tedious they better hope it isn't. It took em almost an hour to do it.

:pranke: "THERE'S GOING TO BE 100 HOURS OF GAMEPLAY IN STANTON!" :pranke:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

http://wmfelite.imgur.com/

Someone sure is archiving the Elite thread and making a list of haters.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Chris Ihao posted:

So how does a man (Chrogbert) look like when his dream crumbles and crashes at PAX?

:frogsiren:

Where is the video of this?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

AlmightyPants posted:

Where is the video of this?

Actually this bit of history was based on that demo (the origin of the airhorns)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc7ywfd1qe8

from the GBS threads a few years ago (and $80,000,000 ago)

one thing i notice is that they got rid of the lego block ship system at some point. Meaning it was so impossible they actually had to admit that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Pop quiz:

1) Who still thinks I am wrong and that sq42 will still be out this year in some form. Obviousley that German article was mistranslated and Chris Misquoted. Despite there being not one shred of evidence that sq42 even exists as a game (And we now have 3 months left in 2016). If a prelude level surfaces around 2018/19 will some of the hardcore then start to question Chris?

2) based on the sq42 shennanigens and CIG's track record for maybe , possibly being a bit out with their deadlines who thinks that a fully working progen planet with trading and FPS, 3.0 will be out in December ?

3) based on the blink and you miss it, animatic of a badly animated space dude checking his gun at gamescom , who thinks that Starmarine will be out this year as well?

I can tell you what you will see. A sweet looking trailer for sq42 at Shitcon. All dev work is now on hold and everyone is taping and gluing furiousley to get a sq42 showcase out. We just need to finalise the attaching of some smoke to some mirrors and we are nearly there.

• Locked thread