Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
california's cool even if a lot of the people here are pretentious dickwads

at least we don't let small towns blow up because they didn't want to make any regulations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Coastal California works for me, :shrug:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Helical Nightmares posted:

The state government is one of THE worst in the nation. LA usd education is poo poo. UC system is quite competitive with Ivy League without the legacy bullshit (but replaced with bureaucracy bullshit so...evens out?).

A lot of what makes California awesome is plate tectonics.

The LA USD sucking is really bad. As it stands if you're an LA native and didn't go to one of a handful of private schools you're at a significant disadvantage especially now that our tribe is old and in hiring positions. Repeal prop 13.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I have a controversial opinion: Inland CA isn't that bad

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

The LA USD sucking is really bad. As it stands if you're an LA native and didn't go to one of a handful of private schools you're at a significant disadvantage especially now that our tribe is old and in hiring positions. Repeal prop 13.

Don't most of the UC's (minus Berkeley) have guaranteed transfer admission from any CA community college in non impacted majors?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Don't most of the UC's (minus Berkeley) have guaranteed transfer admission from any CA community college in non impacted majors?
It varies a bit but generally yes (usually a neighboring UC will have agreement with neighboring CC). Mine had one with Davis and I think we had a bit weaker one with Berkeley. It's a v good program to save a lot of money and helps people out

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

It varies a bit but generally yes (usually a neighboring UC will have agreement with neighboring CC). Mine had one with Davis and I think we had a bit weaker one with Berkeley. It's a v good program to save a lot of money and helps people out

City college of San Francisco charged 7$ a credit 10 years ago. Hell yeah it helped out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

They do, which is extremely cool, as does the perfectly competent cal state system. I am a huge proponent of the LACCD and its mission, despite its flaws. I was referring to high school, which sounds really stupid but somehow has real implications, at least in my experience.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

also it was p cool to get all of the basics out of the way without suffering through 400 person lecture halls and do it for $30 a credit hour

i've heard most states have pretty lovely community college experiences but drat if the community college system in this state isn't fairly well put together given all of the budget problems it's had to face

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Shipon posted:

also it was p cool to get all of the basics out of the way without suffering through 400 person lecture halls and do it for $30 a credit hour

i've heard most states have pretty lovely community college experiences but drat if the community college system in this state isn't fairly well put together given all of the budget problems it's had to face
Yea I think all fees and poo poo it was like <300 a semester for 16 units, compared to like 4K+ at a UC like 10 years ago. Honestly quality of education for most bullshit lower division stuff was fantastic with highly involved and energetic instructors who cared and felt much more personable with 20 to 30 people classes compared to some duck off 300 person auditorium taught by an underpaid grad student with a thick accent who gives no fucks at a UC.

But yea I've heard things have gotten p bad compared to how relatively good I had it even 10 years ago, with lottery system for priority registration, hosed up long waits, and just lovely budget problems. But ccs still do amazing work with barebones budget. It's def night and day compared to other states

Repeal prop 13

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~

etalian posted:

most of the smugness of Californians is how they have a hard time comprehending why people would want to live in other states.

But but the weather and you can always drive to snow.

I don't have a hard time comprehending how people might want to live in another state, but I always get a kick out of people who live in tornado alley saying they'd never live in California because of the earthquakes.

Year after year there's some trailer park in Oklahoma that's been wiped from the face of the Earth and some stupid family that just had their baby sucked into the sky telling the reporter that they'll "just have to rebuild." Same with hurricanes.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

JnnyThndrs posted:

Stockton's like Oakland, it's rep is terrible, but there's a lot of nice places if you know where to look. I'll take your word about Bakersfield, never spent time there..

I live on the edge of DPH and Arcade in Sac and it's pretty sketchy - my street's fine but like three blocks away people getting shot in cars. And South Sac is loving horrific, Fruitvale, Florin, Meadowview.....I worked there, it's as bad as East Oakland.

fruitvale is in oakland, youre thinking of fruitridge. i live on meadowview rd and ya its bad but i wouldnt say its as bad as oakland.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Xaris posted:

Yea I think all fees and poo poo it was like <300 a semester for 16 units, compared to like 4K+ at a UC like 10 years ago. Honestly quality of education for most bullshit lower division stuff was fantastic with highly involved and energetic instructors who cared and felt much more personable with 20 to 30 people classes compared to some duck off 300 person auditorium taught by an underpaid grad student with a thick accent who gives no fucks at a UC.

But yea I've heard things have gotten p bad compared to how relatively good I had it even 10 years ago, with lottery system for priority registration, hosed up long waits, and just lovely budget problems. But ccs still do amazing work with barebones budget. It's def night and day compared to other states

Repeal prop 13

it was pretty rough when i went in 2011, also the UCs are like $14k a year now and seeing how much they were just ten years ago is painful as hell

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
err getting myself confused but ucd was 4K a quarter for tuition like 7 years ago, which I guess means it hasn't gone that much up. But before that I spent over 2.5 years at a cc where i was paying maybe 300 a semester meant I shaved off like over 24k+ from debt :toot:

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Huh does that UC admission thing apply to out of state community colleges too? I used to live in San Diego so I took a few classes at a community college there when I was in the navy, and I wound back up in Texas where I took further classes at the CC level.

Without explaining the whole hosed up story of my college education, I have a fuckload of credits from schools in California and Texas. Enough to have an AA at least but not enough at any one school to have them cut me a degree.

I finally said "gently caress it" to an associate's and decided I was better off just going to a full 4 year in the spring. UCSD is one of the schools on my radar for what I want to pursue, and I wonder if I might be able to squeeze my way in with a little help from policies like this.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Iron Prince posted:

Huh does that UC admission thing apply to out of state community colleges too? I used to live in San Diego so I took a few classes at a community college there when I was in the navy, and I wound back up in Texas where I took further classes at the CC level.

Without explaining the whole hosed up story of my college education, I have a fuckload of credits from schools in California and Texas. Enough to have an AA at least but not enough at any one school to have them cut me a degree.

I finally said "gently caress it" to an associate's and decided I was better off just going to a full 4 year in the spring. UCSD is one of the schools on my radar for what I want to pursue, and I wonder if I might be able to squeeze my way in with a little help from policies like this.

The formalized CC -> CSU/UC program is the insane acronym IGETC. I can't tell you off my head if your credits are transferable, but it's pretty straight forward. It's likely many of your credits are transferable.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yea I think it was like classes numbered 1-49 or something transfers up to a max or like 70/90 credit hours. Many will prolly count toward general ed requirements with some going to arts/humanities req, social science req, math or physical science and so on. Some had like (W) writing component and (D) diversity and you had to have like 3 of each or something and those could be from a CC class. There's some helpful ca education site that will tell you what transfers and correspond classes between cc/csu/uf

ucsd is a nice school so have fun

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Smythe posted:

The formalized CC -> CSU/UC program is the insane acronym IGETC. I can't tell you off my head if your credits are transferable, but it's pretty straight forward. It's likely many of your credits are transferable.

Yeah that's the thing. I'm not so worried about transfer of credits as I about acceptance into a school. Sure, being a combat vet and all that dumb poo poo is a great foot in the door, but I haven't taken the SAT or ACT in over a decade and a lot of schools want to see that up front.

Before goons are like LOL JUST TAKE THE SAT AGAIN DUMMY, I have tried. I last took it in 2005 and they won't let me sign up for a new test until I provide them with a date/facility/scores I got on that last test to "confirm my identity." YES THEY TOLD ME THIS ON THE PHONE WHEN I CALLED THEM. NO I DIDNT KEEP THE RECORDS FROM OVER A DECADE AGO.

So I'm looking for side doors into decent schools, iykwim.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
iirc I didn't even need to provide act/sat when I transferred with a guaranteed agreement so that won't matter. It'll be a lot cheaper anyways too

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Iron Prince posted:

Yeah that's the thing. I'm not so worried about transfer of credits as I about acceptance into a school. Sure, being a combat vet and all that dumb poo poo is a great foot in the door, but I haven't taken the SAT or ACT in over a decade and a lot of schools want to see that up front.

Before goons are like LOL JUST TAKE THE SAT AGAIN DUMMY, I have tried. I last took it in 2005 and they won't let me sign up for a new test until I provide them with a date/facility/scores I got on that last test to "confirm my identity." YES THEY TOLD ME THIS ON THE PHONE WHEN I CALLED THEM. NO I DIDNT KEEP THE RECORDS FROM OVER A DECADE AGO.

So I'm looking for side doors into decent schools, iykwim.

As long as you complete the transfer courses they don't give a poo poo about ancient test scores. It's a faceless uncaring web app.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

As long as you complete the transfer courses they don't give a poo poo about ancient test scores. It's a faceless uncaring web app.
yea you're supposed to even write some essay thing even for a transferring app but with a TAG I just entered a single space and submitted it since it didn't matter at that point.

Just go back and figure out what igetc class structure you need to complete and get in that way

e: smythe did you go to srjc by any chance? I k ow you went to ssu but didn't know where you went before

Xaris fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Sep 5, 2016

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

Smythe posted:

That's fair. I still have a (mostly) full ride GI Bill funneling money into the school, plus a pretty good GPA at my previous schools to back it up. A lot of their websites ask for SAT poo poo to further back it up so that is always concerning me.

Sorry to derail this thread from whatever the intended topic was. I'll seek the "SO YOU WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE?" thread in whatever dead sub-sub forum it's in

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
On topic:

lol I lived in San Diego for years and had a loft apartment in gaslamp. I'd always go out and see all these yoga pants wearing hotties at the club and they didn't want to come back to my place ever?! GOONS?! [7th ave and G st for reference]

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Xaris posted:

e: smythe did you go to srjc by any chance? I k ow you went to ssu but didn't know where you went before

No, I'm an LA native. I went to SSU out of high school and did the LACCD tour after an unsuccessful first attempt at higher learning.

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Less education-related posts and more posts about terrible poo poo Californians do.

For example, going around other states yapping incessantly about how much better California is, citing:
  • "Progressiveness" which in California has less to do with being in favor of equal rights and fairness towards the disesnfranchised and more to do with the quality of your forced vocal fry and high-rising terminal intonation as you call random people whose conversations you've overheard bigoted assholes when they fail to use gender-neutral pronouns in reference to people you've never met or heard of, while drinking a chai latte made from almond milk which is like ¢50 more despite your flawless ability to consume lactose. You do this out of self-proclaimed "solidarity." When someone suggests you spend the money on charity instead, piss yourself crying about how you earned that money, regardless of how unrelated this is. And all of that is before we get into how CA as a whole is not even slightly progressive - according to coastal Californians, inland CA either doesn't exist or is exactly as liberal as LA and SF, despite all documentation proving otherwise.

• Availability of fresh produce and exotic food. They will do this even though the modus operandi of openly eating Californians (so we're talking about the maybe 20% who haven't officially made the switch to Breatharianism, subsisting entirely on secretly eating McDonalds somewhere when they're sure their cronies who do the exact same loving thing won't take pictures of them to put on Facebook for the sake of drama) is to find one vegan pho shop and having your every meal there because other restaurants offend your sensibilities due to a lack of tolerance and "authenticity"- a trait you evaluate solely by the ethnicity of the person serving you your food since you don't know anything about food or cultures or the world. This is totally not racist.

• Beaches, which you attend by putting on your bikini and draping a sarong over yourself, walking around and complaining out loud to no one in particular that you can't find a deck chair (no poo poo, the entire beach is loving packed 24/7 as you well know from living in CA) before finally settling down under a beach umbrella to triple-tweet about the grievance you have suffered from the aforementioned lack of deck chairs, then moping in total silence for an hour before once again hitting twitter to tell everyone about how straight male privilege and misogyny is the reason none of the hot studs with the huge dicks pay attention to you even though you look like a loving corpse due to your lovely take on a gluten- and carb-free vegan diet. This differs if you're a guy, of course, in which case your trip to the beach will consist of showing off your hot anorexic-looking bod and approaching random women to engage in a conversation about straight male privilege and misogyny for the purpose of loving and leaving them, only to be shot down when really attractive dudes (who are of course huge douchebags but this rant isn't about that exact subspecies of Californian fucko) and go home to blog about how women could be more liberated if they embraced "non-conventional body norms" not only for women, but for men as well.

And then, once they come home from their world tour of advertising the virtues of California and telling everyone how much better the place is and how every other place in the world is like a nuclear wasteland of a bumfuck-style backwater shithole, complain that outsiders coming to CA is the worst thing to happen in America since the Native American genocide and that your beautiful paradise is no longer what it used to be, nevermind the fact that you're only there because your dad got a cushy job there when you were ten.

Also why the gently caress does every Californian insist on calling their state "Cali" and never its full name, to the point where if someone says "California" they will interrupt to say "Heh, it's okay, dude. You can just say Cali, it's what we cool people do :smuggo: " every goddamn time you say it even if you haven't even finished your loving sentence since the first time they pointed out the amazing time-saving properties of their favourite abbreviation. Oh really, fuckface? I'll save your precious time if I leave out those two syllables? Guess I'd better change my entire speech pattern if that's necessary for you to cram me into your packed loving schedule of posting pictures of your Starbucks order on Instagram, you cocksucker.

KomodoWagon fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Sep 5, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
bro nice loving meltdown

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

KomodoWagon posted:

Also why the gently caress does every Californian insist on calling their state "Cali" and never its full name, to the point where if someone says "California" they will interrupt to say "Heh, it's okay, dude. You can just say Cali, it's what we cool people do :smuggo: " every goddamn time you say it even if you haven't even finished your loving sentence since the first time they pointed out the amazing time-saving properties of their favourite abbreviation. Oh really, fuckface? I'll save your precious time if I leave out those two syllables? Guess I'd better change my entire speech pattern if that's necessary for you to cram me into your packed loving schedule of posting pictures of your Starbucks order on Instagram, you cocksucker.
the rest of your post was on point but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im going going back back to cali

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Al Cowens posted:

the rest of your post was on point but this is the first I've ever heard of such a thing

Ehh I've met like three people from CA irl the rest is what I've gathered from media and the Internet so it's mostly just illogical misanthropic rage conjecture

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

KomodoWagon posted:

Less education-related posts and more posts about terrible poo poo Californians do.

For example, going around other states yapping incessantly about how much better California is, citing:
  • "Progressiveness" which in California has less to do with being in favor of equal rights and fairness towards the disesnfranchised and more to do with the quality of your forced vocal fry and high-rising terminal intonation as you call random people whose conversations you've overheard bigoted assholes when they fail to use gender-neutral pronouns in reference to people you've never met or heard of, while drinking a chai latte made from almond milk which is like ¢50 more despite your flawless ability to consume lactose. You do this out of self-proclaimed "solidarity." When someone suggests you spend the money on charity instead, piss yourself crying about how you earned that money, regardless of how unrelated this is. And all of that is before we get into how CA as a whole is not even slightly progressive - according to coastal Californians, inland CA either doesn't exist or is exactly as liberal as LA and SF, despite all documentation proving otherwise.

• Availability of fresh produce and exotic food. They will do this even though the modus operandi of openly eating Californians (so we're talking about the maybe 20% who haven't officially made the switch to Breatharianism, subsisting entirely on secretly eating McDonalds somewhere when they're sure their cronies who do the exact same loving thing won't take pictures of them to put on Facebook for the sake of drama) is to find one vegan pho shop and having your every meal there because other restaurants offend your sensibilities due to a lack of tolerance and "authenticity"- a trait you evaluate solely by the ethnicity of the person serving you your food since you don't know anything about food or cultures or the world. This is totally not racist.

• Beaches, which you attend by putting on your bikini and draping a sarong over yourself, walking around and complaining out loud to no one in particular that you can't find a deck chair (no poo poo, the entire beach is loving packed 24/7 as you well know from living in CA) before finally settling down under a beach umbrella to triple-tweet about the grievance you have suffered from the aforementioned lack of deck chairs, then moping in total silence for an hour before once again hit twitter to tell everyone about how straight male privilege and misogyny is the reason none of the hot studs with the huge dicks don't pay attention to you even though you look like a loving corpse due to your lovely take on a gluten- and carb-free vegan diet. This differs if you're a guy, of course, in which case your trip to the beach will consist of showing off your hot anorexic-looking bod and approaching random women to engage in a conversation about straight male privilege and misogyny for the purpose of loving and leaving them, only to be shot down when really attractive dudes (who are of course huge douchebags but this rant isn't about that exact subspecies of Californian fucko) and go home to blog about how women could be more liberated if they embraced "non-conventional body norms" not only for women, but for men as well.

And then, once they come home from their world tour of advertising the virtues of California and telling everyone how much better the place is and how every other place in the world is like a nuclear wasteland of a bumfuck-style backwater shithole, complain that outsiders coming to CA is the worst thing to happen in America since the Native American genocide and that your beautiful paradise is no longer what it used to be, nevermind the fact that you're only there because your dad got a cushy job there when you were ten.

Yessssssss.

This is why i started this topic. Epic meltdow and a pleasure to read.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Taima posted:

Look I'll make it quick here. The coastal people in California think the rest of California is loving stupid.

They also think everyone else not in coastal CA or the coastal PNW are loving stupid.

We hate everybody. Go gently caress yourselves.

They're pretty close to the truth which is all of America is loving stupid.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
lmao, good job because that's an unhinged doozy

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
PCH is a pleasant drive.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

the only people that say cali are people not from california

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

the great deceiver posted:

nevada county is all hippies and weed farmers my dude

also yes sac is very good and getting even better. the people who poo poo on it are usually people from the bay/socal who have never actually spent any time there. i am totally ok with that because it means less bay area scumfucks moving here and driving rents up

i fuckin love sacramento, it's a great city with good people

but then i also love yuba, which is, well, yuba. that said, i'm aggressively not-white and i never got hassled there either, so maybe it's less bible-thumpy than bay area hipsters want to portray it as

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Al Cowens posted:

PCH is a pleasant drive.

Its fun

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
This map right here must be referring to PCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtGLz1PqsQ

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
californians will say bay area forgetting that there is more than one bay in the us and california

they will use this term with people no matter where they live

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Third World Reggin posted:

californians will say bay area forgetting that there is more than one bay in the us and california

they will use this term with people no matter where they live

except for when you say bay area everyone in the US knows what youre talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

the great deceiver posted:

except for when you say bay area everyone in the US knows what youre talking about

yah, a dumb californian

• Locked thread