Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

When every choice to you is binary it's time to kill yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Somethingsomething Westley built up a tolerance to the poison, so he's able to make a choice and move on with his life?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

I'm more pissed that they used Pusheen. :tizzy:

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Defenestration posted:

both glasses are poisoned and he drinks one anyway and dies...

God I hope so.

So what does that make us? Inoculated against the bullshit?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh word? Guess they ain't voting Trump!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Is there a Taco Bowl reference that I'm unaware of from Debbie Wasserman Schultz?

The only one I saw in the leaks was a very clear reference to Trump's taco bowl picture and it was by some low level creative outreach person to their vetting committee.

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds

Dr. Faustus posted:

If someone tells you that Chris Hedges on Russia Today is a great liberal voice is that true? I see he's a big voice against fascism but I don't understand how he lands at RT. That is dissonant to me.
Google isn't helping. What am I missing?

I see him stoking the resentment against HRC as Sanders supported her nomination. What else is going on, here?

It's because RT is literally a Russian propaganda machine and the Russians seem to be gung ho about undermining Hillary to give Trump a running shot.

I cringe every time I see someone share RT as legitimate news as opposed to the purposefully editorializing that it is.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I really have to emphasise this. When we say Fox News or Rush Limbaugh are propaganda, it's slightly hyperbolic.

RT is literally the Russian government's media organization.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Defenestration posted:

both glasses are poisoned and he drinks one anyway and dies...

I think that might be :thejoke:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

I never understood this quote (the original) or why people put so much value on it. A politician telling people to not make demands on the state. When the states sole purpose is to support the population. The idea of a state that exists first and foremost to be served by the people is a terrifying idea.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

country != state

rephrase: he's asking people to consider what they can do to help, rather than what others can do to help them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

country != state

rephrase: he's asking people to consider what they can do to help, rather than what others can do to help them.

Yeah, I always took it to be calling on people to not fall into the "what have you done for me lately?" mindset.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

I'm not sure what happened with Social Fixer, but "Bill Dabear" and "Sam Owen" are the same illiterate person.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Knight posted:

I'm not sure what happened with Social Fixer, but "Bill Dabear" and "Sam Owen" are the same illiterate person.

Wait, so people think that Labor Day commemorates the same thing as Veterans Day? Or does this guy think only soldiers fight and die for things? I know Americans do largely the same things on each holiday, but still...

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/EricCantor/status/242654833218293760

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://www.facebook.com/BalancedRebellion/videos/1771513536422109/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Abe Lincoln promoting Gary Johnson and the Balanced Rebellion.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

the_steve posted:

Hell that's an entire FWD: message.

Wow, this really destroys my liberal argument that shotguns are sentient, mobile kill machines that are constantly moving around and killing people all by themselves.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Wait, so people think that Labor Day commemorates the same thing as Veterans Day? Or does this guy think only soldiers fight and die for things? I know Americans do largely the same things on each holiday, but still...

I think the guy thinks that Labor Day is about Our Troops because why the hell else would we take a Federal holiday to drink and shoot guns.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Wow, this really destroys my liberal argument that shotguns are sentient, mobile kill machines that are constantly moving around and killing people all by themselves.
https://www.wired.com/2007/10/robot-cannon-ki/ :vuvu:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

This post reminds of how satisfying it was to watch the Tea-Party primary this fuckman right of of his speakership.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Instant Sunrise posted:

That email fwd in real life: "I left a loaded firearm sitting on a wheelchair to prove some vague political point. Unfortunately, while I was out of the house a truck drove over a speedbump nearby and the vibration from that caused the gun to fall out of the wheelchair and accidentally discharge. Now I'm facing charges of 'reckless endangerment' and they're saying its lucky nobody got hit when that gun went off."

Alternatively, "I left my gun alone and didn't have it for 6 hours. During this time no government took my freedoms, and no black or hispanic people killed me because it is what they do. I was utterly shocked, given how right wing media told me those would happen as soon as I was unarmed. Maybe I should return the gun and get a rock that keeps away tigers.

Isn't the whole point of this scene that the guy wasn't smart enough to think why the man was walking around with a vial of Iocane in the first place? Or in this case, to ask why the right promoted a lunatic, or why he was told the one on the left is corrupt?

GyroNinja
Nov 7, 2012

Fulchrum posted:

Alternatively, "I left my gun alone and didn't have it for 6 hours. During this time no government took my freedoms, and no black or hispanic people killed me because it is what they do. I was utterly shocked, given how right wing media told me those would happen as soon as I was unarmed. Maybe I should return the gun and get a rock that keeps away tigers.

Isn't the whole point of this scene that the guy wasn't smart enough to think why the man was walking around with a vial of Iocane in the first place? Or in this case, to ask why the right promoted a lunatic, or why he was told the one on the left is corrupt?

I guess it kind of makes sense if it's a pro 3rd party macro?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GyroNinja posted:

I guess it kind of makes sense if it's a pro 3rd party macro?

Except that he's still not actually asking why he thinks the positions presented to him are both fully accurate.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No, this shotgun was just One of the Good Ones.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Defenestration posted:

In conclusion

This one really gets to me because it calls Yahweh "a God of Peace" and then says he will do violence to the enemies of the poster in the same breath.

I don't know why, but as I get older this unique form of widespread American apostasy really bothers me. That "blessing" at the RNC in July gave me actual chills.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

VideoTapir posted:

Sort of. He's been writing about the failure of American democracy for the last decade, way before going to RT. I think the author of "Death of the Liberal Class" might take some issue with being called a "great liberal voice," though.

RT is pretty good for US political news because US politics is a total shitshow and Russia is happy to air that dirty laundry. I'm not sure what's so dissonant about the idea.

Vaishino posted:

It's because RT is literally a Russian propaganda machine and the Russians seem to be gung ho about undermining Hillary to give Trump a running shot.

I cringe every time I see someone share RT as legitimate news as opposed to the purposefully editorializing that it is.

It's this, friend. RT is not good for US political news, or indeed anything else, because it is the literal propaganda wing of the oligarchic Russian government. You should not be relying upon it as a source for anything, let alone "the failure of American democracy" :laffo:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Quorum posted:

It's this, friend. RT is not good for US political news, or indeed anything else, because it is the literal propaganda wing of the oligarchic Russian government. You should not be relying upon it as a source for anything, let alone "the failure of American democracy" :laffo:

I mean, RT is similar in principle to Fox News. They're not categorically incapable of being right, it's just that on those rare occasions where they might be correct, factually, their agenda and reputation means that whatever they're right about is serving the interests of mostly terrible people.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
No, wait, I'm pretty sure I know this one. That black dude on the left there was arrested. His name is Vladimir Putin. That's it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fulchrum posted:

yeah vezzini was a small time idiot who believed himself to be much more intelligent than he actually was and was totally clowned by the brave, handsome hero

a good macro

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

SpaceDrake posted:

This one really gets to me because it calls Yahweh "a God of Peace" and then says he will do violence to the enemies of the poster in the same breath.

I don't know why, but as I get older this unique form of widespread American apostasy really bothers me. That "blessing" at the RNC in July gave me actual chills.
They dare blaspheme our heavenly God and protector Pusheen

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Quorum posted:

You should not be relying on it as a source for anything about Russia, at least. Kind of like Voice of America, or Al Jazeera.

You'd think if they were really a Russian propaganda machine in the sense you're trying to portray, they'd be all for Trump.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SpaceDrake posted:

I don't think there's anything uniquely American about this. There are plenty of Psalms begging for God to strike down the author's enemies, as well as John the Revelator's praying for the destruction of the Roman Empire. If anything, modern Christianity is much less violent towards its enemies than ancient Judaism.

Of course, ask the same poster what he thinks about Islam's claim to be a "religion of peace" and I bet you get a different answer...

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Is there a Taco Bowl reference that I'm unaware of from Debbie Wasserman Schultz?

The only one I saw in the leaks was a very clear reference to Trump's taco bowl picture and it was by some low level creative outreach person to their vetting committee.

It's a lie they came up with by twisting the words and then misattributing them.

Someone from the DNC used the phrase "taco bowl outreach" in an e-mail. The GOP latched on to this saying that she was obviously using "taco bowl" as a derogatory pronoun to refer to latinos which would make the meaning of that phrase "latino outreach." "Latino outreach," is indeed a phrase, and so they patted themselves on the back for cracking the code and exposing Democratic racism.

Everyone else read the e-mail and rightly understood they were referring to Donald Trump's slacktivist outreach on Cinco de Mayo with a picture of him eating a "taco bowl."

Also, who the gently caress refers to those as "taco bowls?" Is this a dumb east coast thing like, "waiting on line?" Where I'm from they're called "taco salads," and the fact that Trump referred to them as "taco bowls," made him seem profoundly out of touch like he'd never encountered one before in his life.

Edited after Dr. Arbitrary pointed out it wasn't even Wasserman Schultz who wrote it.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 6, 2016

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Jurgan posted:

I don't think there's anything uniquely American about this. There are plenty of Psalms begging for God to strike down the author's enemies, as well as John the Revelator's praying for the destruction of the Roman Empire. If anything, modern Christianity is much less violent towards its enemies than ancient Judaism.

Of course, ask the same poster what he thinks about Islam's claim to be a "religion of peace" and I bet you get a different answer...

I love talking Old Testament god to people who only sort of skimmed the early books. Like when he's rolling with his buddy Joshua through Canaan committing horrific genocide. God specifically telling Joshua how to lure out the army of the city to run off to a pretend fight, then enter the now defenseless city to slaughter every woman and child left behind, then slaughter the army when they got back from the ruse.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ErIog posted:

It's a lie they came up with by twisting the words.

Wasserman Schultz used the phrase "taco bowl outreach" in an e-mail. The GOP latched on to this saying that she was obviously using "taco bowl" as a derogatory pronoun to refer to latinos which would make the meaning of that phrase "latino outreach." "Latino outreach," is indeed a phrase, and so they patted themselves on the back for cracking the code and exposing Democratic racism.

Everyone else read the e-mail and rightly understood she was referring to Donald Trump's slacktivist outreach on Cinco de Mayo with a picture of him eating a "taco bowl."

Also, who the gently caress refers to those as "taco bowls?" Is this a dumb east coast thing like, "waiting on line?" Where I'm from they're called "taco salads," and the fact that Trump referred to them as "taco bowls," made him seem profoundly out of touch like he'd never encountered one before in his life.

In fairness, calling that disgusting slop a salad would be just as bad.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ErIog posted:

It's a lie they came up with by twisting the words.

Wasserman Schultz used the phrase "taco bowl outreach" in an e-mail.

This email?
https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/5492

quote:

From: Rebecca Christopher <christopherr@dnc.org<mailto:christopherr@dnc.org>>

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Wow, it's even more of a lie than I thought! I edited my post.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
One thing about it is that since both emails (It's a follow up to one she sent earlier) were sent the same day, by the same person, to the same people, I would expect both emails to be in the archive. But the earlier one that presumably has an attachment wasn't included.

I can't prove it obviously, but I think that this dump was reviewed prior to dissemination to be maximally damaging to the DNC.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Admission that there exists a systemic problem that unfairly endangers and discriminates against black people. A good image.