Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Third World Reggin posted:

yah, a dumb californian

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Save money on Sac midtown rents by moving to Old Sac. Then you have daily access to the Wild West laser shooting game, train tracks, and creepy boat hotel.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Save money on Sac midtown rents by moving to Old Sac. Then you have daily access to the Wild West laser shooting game, train tracks, and creepy boat hotel.

i used to have a drug dealer that lived in one of the apartments over the stores in old sac, it was weird as hell

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

welp call me average because i'm uptight as hell :wink: srsly please call me

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

As a Californian my biggest h9 for California is that everyone sits in the dark to save electricity meanwhile everyone uses home dryers because there are laws that punish hanging laundry outside in the free and wonderful sunshine like poors in brown countries do.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
The most racist., ageist, intolerant places I have ever been are the Bay Area, Silicon Valley, and Berkeley. "Progressive" basically means someone who uses the PC terms for race or gender, but doesn't want Mexicans or Blacks living next door.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Khazar-khum posted:

The most racist., ageist, intolerant places I have ever been are the Bay Area, Silicon Valley, and Berkeley. "Progressive" basically means someone who uses the PC terms for race or gender, but doesn't want Mexicans or Blacks living next door.

yup

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

There are laws that punish hanging laundry outside in the free and wonderful sunshine like poors in brown countries do.

Wtf

Mangina Brown
Jun 6, 2004

¡Más rápidamente, minino! ¡Matanza! ¡Matanza!
California gave me Black Flag and Merle Haggard so I'm cool with California but I'll stay over here in the mid Atlantic because from this thread it seems like I either hate blacks and Mexicans too much or not enough and I'm comfortable with my level ATM.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

the great deceiver posted:

i used to have a drug dealer that lived in one of the apartments over the stores in old sac, it was weird as hell

That sounds really surreal. I was walking around there a few weeks ago and I saw a building that advertised itself as like "the only residential apartment complex in old sac" or something like that and I had trouble imagining what life would be like there. Screaming suburban bros and women at 1AM on the weekends and then totally dead during the week? Where would you buy your groceries or park your car?! How often would you walk through the weird tunnel that takes you to the Holiday Inn?

I guess there's easy access to the Sacramento amtrak and megabus stations for what that's worth, so you could be a total freak who commutes directly from Old Sac to the Bay.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

the great deceiver posted:

fruitvale is in oakland, youre thinking of fruitridge. i live on meadowview rd and ya its bad but i wouldnt say its as bad as Oakland.

Yeah, my bad, although when I was younger Fruitvale wasn't great either - didn't that fucknut sortacop shoot that drunk black guy for no reason at Fruitvale BART?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
sacramento loving sucks. the only parts of california that matter are bay area, LA/SD. all the inland empire/central valley/humboldt weed growing territory is meaningless and filled with meth-addicts and exploited illegal aliens working the fields.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Stockton loving sucks dude. I took some classes at the community college there when I was in high school and it was a total shithole. Oakland is cool as poo poo.

That area around the community college is kind hosed because the malls are right across the street and the busses all congregate in the same spot. But south of that there's huge tracts of really nice neighborhoods ranging from cute '20's bungalows to big fancy Gatsby houses and OG Victorians. And if you think all of Oakland is Cool As poo poo, lemme give you a custom guided tour. Bring Kevlar.

I'm not going to spend a huge effort defending Stockton because everybody has a Stockton horror story, usually involving "AH GOT OFF THE FREEWAY AND FOUND MAHSELF IN HELL" or visiting some sort of trashy relatives in rotting tract-home purgatory.

But there's 300,000 people living there and like I said, there's a large belt of older, nice homes on tree-lined streets and cute neighborhoods running north-south throughout the city, away from the freeways and largely unknown by people who don't live there.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Khazar-khum posted:

Totally accurate

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

JnnyThndrs posted:

I'm not going to spend a huge effort defending Stockton

A wise choice.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Iron Prince posted:

On topic:

lol I lived in San Diego for years and had a loft apartment in gaslamp. I'd always go out and see all these yoga pants wearing hotties at the club and they didn't want to come back to my place ever?! GOONS?! [7th ave and G st for reference]

everyday wear for california women is yoga pants for some reason.

This goes into the california pro column

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I live in north park San Diego and there's a pole dancing gym across the street. Life here rules.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Khazar-khum posted:

This is a common misconception actually.

What coastal CA has is this weird money-based respect system. I don't condone it, but there it is. Race is not a huge factor, but you need to have the mannerisms of people "from money" if you want to hang out with that crew.

My family is entrenched in Silicon Valley so I've known these people forever. We've always ran with a pretty multi-ethnic crew. I can't think of a time when someone cared what race a person was, but it was kind of a big deal if you didn't have money (I get that this is hosed up).

This is a subtlety that would be hard to understand if you didn't live here. It's only marginally better than actual racism, and I have no intention of defending it, just saying how it is.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Taima posted:

Look I'll make it quick here. The coastal people in California think the rest of California is loving stupid.

They also think everyone else not in coastal CA or the coastal PNW are loving stupid.

We hate everybody. Go gently caress yourselves.

pretty much true though

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

How could California not suck poo poo? It's a Mecca for the shittiest, most entitled, most self-absorbed assholes in a country brimming with lovely, entitled, self-absorbed assholes. Plus you've got to figure, out of the legions of dumbasses that have migrated there over the generations, a sizable percentage must suffer from some debilitating mental disorders to be able to convince themselves it's a good idea.

Here's some examples of Californians

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z21aoScFaQ

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

KomodoWagon posted:

Less education-related posts and more posts about terrible poo poo Californians do.

[*]Beaches, which you attend by putting on your bikini and draping a sarong over yourself, walking around and complaining out loud to no one in particular that you can't find a deck chair (no poo poo, the entire beach is loving packed 24/7 as you well know from living in CA) before finally settling down under a beach umbrella to triple-tweet about the grievance you have suffered from the aforementioned lack of deck chairs, then moping in total silence for an hour before once again hitting twitter to tell everyone about how straight male privilege and misogyny is the reason none of the hot studs with the huge dicks pay attention to you even though you look like a loving corpse due to your lovely take on a gluten- and carb-free vegan diet. This differs if you're a guy, of course, in which case your trip to the beach will consist of showing off your hot anorexic-looking bod and approaching random women to engage in a conversation about straight male privilege and misogyny for the purpose of loving and leaving them, only to be shot down when really attractive dudes (who are of course huge douchebags but this rant isn't about that exact subspecies of Californian fucko) and go home to blog about how women could be more liberated if they embraced "non-conventional body norms" not only for women, but for men as well.
[/list]

This is why New Jersey beaches are superior, because nobody needs to worry about deckchairs when you can always sit on one of the many horseshoe crab corpses the size of a tire.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

This is a common misconception actually.

What coastal CA has is this weird money-based respect system. I don't condone it, but there it is. Race is not a huge factor, but you need to have the mannerisms of people "from money" if you want to hang out with that crew.

My family is entrenched in Silicon Valley so I've known these people forever. We've always ran with a pretty multi-ethnic crew. I can't think of a time when someone cared what race a person was, but it was kind of a big deal if you didn't have money (I get that this is hosed up).

This is a subtlety that would be hard to understand if you didn't live here. It's only marginally better than actual racism, and I have no intention of defending it, just saying how it is.

yo is your "multi-ethnic" crew composed of largely asians/indians? maybe some latinos if your lucky?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Khazar-khum posted:

yeah, "conservative" people just move away and surround themselves in a milky white bubble.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

fits my needs posted:

yo is your "multi-ethnic" crew composed of largely asians/indians? maybe some latinos if your lucky?

his crew is diverse as the facebook campus

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LMAO

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob9WtNANGzI

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm from NYC and say gently caress you all I also wish we had another Giuliani to murder this generation of homeless

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Why are people from New York City always angry and bitter about everything? Is it because the weather sucks and you can't see the sky?

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Blacktoll posted:

I'm from NYC and say gently caress you all I also wish we had another Giuliani to murder this generation of homeless

:shrug: it's better than just giving them a one way bus ticket to California because then we don't have to pay to fly them out to Hawaii.

cheesycharlies
Sep 5, 2016

by Smythe
Is the average californian liberal as insanely uptight as they appear to be?

no its mostly just the kids that lived that white privilege Havoc movie life and politicians that are greedy

rich piana is a cool dood who will help u grow ur dick

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Blacktoll posted:

East coast is just more practical.

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

Please no more California songs

https://youtu.be/xdr0emjy5Sw

Blacktoll posted:

I'm from NYC

And gently caress NY too

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Sperghetti posted:

Please no more California songs

https://youtu.be/xdr0emjy5Sw

lmao they are originally from the miserable midwest

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

fits my needs posted:

Pretty much exactly on all 3 counts, primarily, but also people from all over the world who had money in their home countries and decided to come here (central and south american countries in particular but random people from everywhere too). Is that not multi-ethnic enough for you or what? I'll admit that we don't have like, all the ethnicities. But it is objectively better than the rest of the USA where the rich people largely clump together in white-only gated communities.

I did go out of my way to explain that it's not much better, but still, better nonetheless. Better does not mean perfect or ideal, unfortunately.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

KomodoWagon posted:

Less education-related posts and more posts about terrible poo poo Californians do.

For example, going around other states yapping incessantly about how much better California is, citing:
  • "Progressiveness" which in California has less to do with being in favor of equal rights and fairness towards the disesnfranchised and more to do with the quality of your forced vocal fry and high-rising terminal intonation as you call random people whose conversations you've overheard bigoted assholes when they fail to use gender-neutral pronouns in reference to people you've never met or heard of, while drinking a chai latte made from almond milk which is like ¢50 more despite your flawless ability to consume lactose. You do this out of self-proclaimed "solidarity." When someone suggests you spend the money on charity instead, piss yourself crying about how you earned that money, regardless of how unrelated this is. And all of that is before we get into how CA as a whole is not even slightly progressive - according to coastal Californians, inland CA either doesn't exist or is exactly as liberal as LA and SF, despite all documentation proving otherwise.

• Availability of fresh produce and exotic food. They will do this even though the modus operandi of openly eating Californians (so we're talking about the maybe 20% who haven't officially made the switch to Breatharianism, subsisting entirely on secretly eating McDonalds somewhere when they're sure their cronies who do the exact same loving thing won't take pictures of them to put on Facebook for the sake of drama) is to find one vegan pho shop and having your every meal there because other restaurants offend your sensibilities due to a lack of tolerance and "authenticity"- a trait you evaluate solely by the ethnicity of the person serving you your food since you don't know anything about food or cultures or the world. This is totally not racist.

• Beaches, which you attend by putting on your bikini and draping a sarong over yourself, walking around and complaining out loud to no one in particular that you can't find a deck chair (no poo poo, the entire beach is loving packed 24/7 as you well know from living in CA) before finally settling down under a beach umbrella to triple-tweet about the grievance you have suffered from the aforementioned lack of deck chairs, then moping in total silence for an hour before once again hitting twitter to tell everyone about how straight male privilege and misogyny is the reason none of the hot studs with the huge dicks pay attention to you even though you look like a loving corpse due to your lovely take on a gluten- and carb-free vegan diet. This differs if you're a guy, of course, in which case your trip to the beach will consist of showing off your hot anorexic-looking bod and approaching random women to engage in a conversation about straight male privilege and misogyny for the purpose of loving and leaving them, only to be shot down when really attractive dudes (who are of course huge douchebags but this rant isn't about that exact subspecies of Californian fucko) and go home to blog about how women could be more liberated if they embraced "non-conventional body norms" not only for women, but for men as well.

And then, once they come home from their world tour of advertising the virtues of California and telling everyone how much better the place is and how every other place in the world is like a nuclear wasteland of a bumfuck-style backwater shithole, complain that outsiders coming to CA is the worst thing to happen in America since the Native American genocide and that your beautiful paradise is no longer what it used to be, nevermind the fact that you're only there because your dad got a cushy job there when you were ten.

Also why the gently caress does every Californian insist on calling their state "Cali" and never its full name, to the point where if someone says "California" they will interrupt to say "Heh, it's okay, dude. You can just say Cali, it's what we cool people do :smuggo: " every goddamn time you say it even if you haven't even finished your loving sentence since the first time they pointed out the amazing time-saving properties of their favourite abbreviation. Oh really, fuckface? I'll save your precious time if I leave out those two syllables? Guess I'd better change my entire speech pattern if that's necessary for you to cram me into your packed loving schedule of posting pictures of your Starbucks order on Instagram, you cocksucker.
No one from California does that. "Cali" is the easiest way to spot an easterner.

You would probably enjoy Montana or Texas. Possibly Florida. I'll be honest I've never been there.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

Pretty much exactly on all 3 counts, primarily, but also people from all over the world who had money in their home countries and decided to come here (central and south american countries in particular but random people from everywhere too). Is that not multi-ethnic enough for you or what? I'll admit that we don't have like, all the ethnicities. But it is objectively better than the rest of the USA where the rich people largely clump together in white-only gated communities.

I did go out of my way to explain that it's not much better, but still, better nonetheless. Better does not mean perfect or ideal, unfortunately.

i live in richmond, ca.

so calling SV "multi-ethnic" is a joke lmao. as a brown dude I gotta say you seem to have a lot invested in this "melting pot sliicon valley!" shtick.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

fits my needs posted:

i live in richmond, ca.

so calling SV "multi-ethnic" is a joke lmao. as a brown dude I gotta say you seem to have a lot invested in this "melting pot sliicon valley!" shtick.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, friend. In all honesty, it's not something I think about much.

Perhaps you are misunderstanding my point though. I never claimed that SV was multi-ethnic, only that it's a lot more multi-ethnic than a lot of places where there is wealth (which in the USA is usually characterized by white people hunkering down in their all-white communities).

Wildcat Canyon is beautiful btw :)

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Taima, you're not acting very chill. Are you sure you're fro CA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Iron Prince posted:

[7th ave and G st for reference]

I lived at 6th and Market for a couple of years. It's the only time I've ever lived in a city and felt completely isolated at the same time. There wasn't a neighborhood feel to it on any level. Strange loving vibe in downtown SD.

• Locked thread