Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

I'm not even sure who the 'Hilary is sick' thing is supposed to appeal to. "Oh no Hilary stroked the gently caress out and died and now we have Tim Kaine as president for a couple years. Why oh why didn't I vote trump to avoid this horrible fate!" -quote from no on ever

Desperation, they have nothing else that everyone isn't sick of hearing about over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

fishmech posted:

After the high profile public decapitation got out they did that, yes. It should have been there from the start.

And ProPilot definitely isn't a common term among the public for "operates itself", so no it's a whole lot better.

AutoPilot has always included an audible and visual warning to keep your hands on the wheel when approaching curves. The update was to cause the warning to trigger more frequently when traveling on straight roads. Given that the dude was watching Harry Potter when he slammed directly into a semi, something he could also do with a hand on the steering wheel, I'm not sure how this would have saved his life.

And the word Pilot has some pretty obvious implications about self-driving ability. Your car is literally a Pro Pilot, why would it need your assistance?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/lizcgoodwin/status/772916981817147392
She finally took questions, or well, a gaggle on her plane.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Maybe if someone tells Trump that being POTUS is by a huge margin the most dangerous job in the US, he'll drop out citing bone spurs

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

It is false advertising to use a term that you know the public will think means something more than you actually have. It's like the entire concept behind false advertising.

You're nuts. I'm currently wearing a watch that says it is good to thirty meters and I have to be careful washing my hands. The shoes I'm wearing are advertised as lasting for decades and I've resoled them twice. This is from a cursory look around the room I'm currently in.

No corporation is liable for you misinterpreting a term if a legal definition exists and says otherwise. By the metric you're describing you could file a claim against the majority of products. I'm as much a fan of living languages as anyone but the courts have a different attitude. I've never seen the inside of a Tesla but there's apparently a disclaimer every time you engage the feature. Good luck getting past that detail in court.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Jesus christ fishmech and transportation

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know why this Kevin Drum story from 2013 is on the front page of Mother Jones web site right now, probably because it has to do with labor, but it's a good read and seems appropriate in connection with the autopilot meltdown. Quick hot takes: Luddites were 200 years before their time; Capital is rapidly reaching the point that it no longer needs Labor; the rise of Fascism is inevitable.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eifert Posting posted:

You're nuts. I'm currently wearing a watch that says it is good to thirty meters and I have to be careful washing my hands. The shoes I'm wearing are advertised as lasting for decades and I've resoled them twice. This is from a cursory look around the room I'm currently in.

No corporation is liable for you misinterpreting a term if a legal definition exists and says otherwise. By the metric you're describing you could file a claim against the majority of products. I'm as much a fan of living languages as anyone but the courts have a different attitude. I've never seen the inside of a Tesla but there's apparently a disclaimer every time you engage the feature. Good luck getting past that detail in court.

Enjoy the destruction of shareholder value, Mr. Musk.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

iospace posted:

Wonder what excuse they'll make to show that this didn't count as a "proper" press conference.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

iospace posted:

She's been taking questions this entire time, just not at a press conference.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Anyone who doesn't imagine the first autonomous vehicles on American roads in the next five years is deceiving themselves. It's coming, and fast.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

#hackingHillary is the top trend on twitter.

I saw this and assumed another DNC/Email hack.

Nope. She was coughing during a speech. :psyduck:

This election is ridiculous.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
And yet the letter for Trump from the man who might as well be a chiropractor or an acupuncturist just fell out of the media spotlight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mr Interweb posted:

Wonder what excuse they'll make to show that this didn't count as a "proper" press conference.

Because it wasn't one? A press gaggle is basically they get together in an impromptu manner, ask a few questions, and everyone moves on with their lives. A press conference is much more formal, and this definitely wasn't one.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Mr Interweb posted:

Days since last press conference that wasn't on an airplane and which had white reporters: 274

This kind of opaqueness certainly Raises QuestionsTM.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Eifert Posting posted:

I don't know, after he won all that money from his lawsuit against the movie A Never Ending Story...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Anyone who doesn't imagine the first autonomous vehicles on American roads in the next five years is deceiving themselves. It's coming, and fast.

This is true

because the car's autopilot doesn't recognize you because you're wearing a white shirt

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

It'd be a bad idea to take out a student loan for truck driving school; although it was never a good choice.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Or they have actually studied computing science and know 30-40 years is more likely if ever.

The current iterations drive off bridges , into trucks in ideal conditions. Lidar is totally useless in heavy rain / snow .

This poo poo is up there with fusion power will be generating all our energy in 10 years, any decade now ... It has incredibly hard engineering problems that may not be solvable in an economically viable way if at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Epic High Five posted:

There's millions of people who believe cruise control will drive their car for them and are only alive because they're not smart enough to engage it
No loving way. Prove it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

^^^^
Actual machine learning folks give it way shorter timelines. I'm an ML phd myself. EDIT: meant this to be a reply to JRE's post.

Epic High Five posted:

This is true

because the car's autopilot doesn't recognize you because you're wearing a white shirt

They're literally already running as of this week in Singapore:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2016/08/25/world/asia/ap-us-autonomous-taxis-singapore.html

You can be like 'white truck lol', but that was a surprising edge case, and sensors are already adjusted. I give human truck drivers 20 years at the very outside.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

jre posted:

Or they have actually studied computing science and know 30-40 years is more likely if ever.

The current iterations drive off bridges , into trucks in ideal conditions. Lidar is totally useless in heavy rain / snow .

Human beings also do all of this stuff. And are also totally useless in heavy rain and snow. Making a self driving car that performs better than human drivers would not be a huge challenge, the problem is making one that is perfect, which seems to be the expectation.

Also, a computer science degree does not make you an informed authority on autonomous driving.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Mr Interweb posted:

I have no idea what questions are going unanswered at this point that they need to ask at whatever these people constitute as a press conference.

Granted, a bunch of them spent half the day tweeting photos of the press plane so I'm sure they're all morons anyways.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

For now, the taxis only run in a 2.5-square-mile (6.5 square kilometer) business and residential district called "one-north," and pick-ups and drop-offs are limited to specified locations. Riders must have an invitation from nuTonomy to use the service. The company says dozens have signed up for the launch, and it plans to expand that list to thousands of people within a few months.

quote:

An Associated Press reporter taking a ride Wednesday saw the safety driver step on the brakes once, when a car was obstructing the test car's lane and another vehicle, which had appeared to be parked, suddenly began moving in the oncoming lane.

This is just a bullshit PR stunt, the cars have a driver in them because they don't actually work.

Any "actual machine learning people" thinking that this will be viable in 5 years are idiots or trying to sell you something

NippleFloss posted:

Human beings also do all of this stuff. And are also totally useless in heavy rain and snow. Making a self driving car that performs better than human drivers would not be a huge challenge,
Why are all the self driving systems so useless then ? People have been working on this for decades, if it's not a huge challenge why isn't it even vaguely solved with google and others sinking millions into it?

jre fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 5, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I was assured that it was only the travelling press corp that was bitching about access, and they're the ones who are getting it now in spades, so obviously the complaints will dry up right?

Oh wait what's that? Politico reposted an article about how Clinton never talks to the press literally while she was talking to them?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NippleFloss posted:

AutoPilot has always included an audible and visual warning to keep your hands on the wheel when approaching curves. The update was to cause the warning to trigger more frequently when traveling on straight roads. Given that the dude was watching Harry Potter when he slammed directly into a semi, something he could also do with a hand on the steering wheel, I'm not sure how this would have saved his life.

And the word Pilot has some pretty obvious implications about self-driving ability. Your car is literally a Pro Pilot, why would it need your assistance?

And the guy who got guillotined wasn't on a curve, he was on a straight length of road when the truck turned in front of him. Really you're just showing how stupid tesla was because if they thought for a moment they'd realize they should have the alarms all the time for hands off the wheel instead of just curves.

No it doesn't, but autopilot does.

Eifert Posting posted:

No, you're nuts. Sorry you bought a knockoff watch though I guess? Or that you apparently wash your hands with a pressure washer. That some companies already practice horrible advertising doesn't mean it's good.

Noone's talking about liability, just that it's false advertising, and also a terrible idea on top of it. And disclaimers are useless since people ignore it constantly - I know you've never read the disclaimers that come with the software you install and use, for instance, because you'd still be reading them all years later.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jre posted:

This is just a bullshit PR stunt, the cars have a driver in them because they don't actually work.

Any "actual machine learning people" thinking that this will be viable in 5 years are idiots or trying to sell you something

thank you for your insight, forums user jre

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Epic High Five posted:

I was assured that it was only the travelling press corp that was bitching about access, and they're the ones who are getting it now in spades, so obviously the complaints will dry up right?

Oh wait what's that? Politico reposted an article about how Clinton never talks to the press literally while she was talking to them?

It's not a "true press conference" but a gaggle, so they'll still bitch.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

iospace posted:

It's not a "true press conference" but a gaggle, so they'll still bitch.

Theyll bitch and bitch and bitch because she's a woman who could give zero fucks about press.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wow this "Hacking Hillary" Twitter trend is one of the most infuriating things I've ever seen. So many alt right account bots, so much concern trolling, my god. It's giving me a literal headache.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So Hillary just had a bit of a coughing fit during her speech. So get ready to hear about that for a week.

Wrap it up Hillarailures. Even NBC is starting to take the coughing thing seriously. RIP Hillary 1947-2016

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

radical meme posted:

I don't know why this Kevin Drum story from 2013 is on the front page of Mother Jones web site right now, probably because it has to do with labor, but it's a good read and seems appropriate in connection with the autopilot meltdown. Quick hot takes: Luddites were 200 years before their time; Capital is rapidly reaching the point that it no longer needs Labor; the rise of Fascism is inevitable.

There will always be a labor market. We just pretend to ignore it because labor is segregated from the profit by separating them into business entities like Apple and Foxconn and by separating them by an ocean. Labor is still there and in huge numbers, capital has just skirted labor laws by going around to the third world.

https://twitter.com/kmoxnews/status/772931836024467456

In other news Phyllis Schlafly is dead

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 6, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ron Jeremy posted:

There will always be a labor market. We just pretend to ignore it because labor is segregated from the profit by separating them into business entities like Apple and Foxconn and by separating them by an ocean. Labor is still there and in huge numbers, capital has just skirted labor laws by going around to the third world.

Good riddance

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ron Jeremy posted:

Good, burn in hell you awful human.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Nice. Rot in hell. This drink is in honor of you no longer existing.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ron Jeremy posted:

:jackbud:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Ron Jeremy posted:

Finally we'll be able to pass the ERA!

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

jre posted:

Yep I know the part of Singapore where they're doing this, it's a glorified office park with not much traffic. Also there's consistent weather conditions year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ron Jeremy posted:

When do we get to be rid of her idiot son?

• Locked thread